Ares Games

Thread: What is your opinion on these?

Cool What is your opinion on these?

I've never seen these before good idea or not? They look to make the moves easier but I'm still not sure.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1212803880...84.m1423.l2649

If you have bad eyesight like me, it may help you to position the aircraft, but I hate to think how much space a full set of them would take up.
    As far as I am concerned, it would just be another appendage to lug around to events.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

They look good but would be bulky to carry around. I think I will stick to cards

Perhaps not so bulky on their own... but in addition to aircraft & decks? 20+ sets would get somewhat burdensome. Besides, game is abstracted enough that a slight "fudging" of aircraft placement is to be expected.

The game has built in tolerances for slightly inaccurate moves with the wide field of fire. Such a precise tool really is not necessary especially when it gets tight......in my humble opinion. Plus it would eliminate the "you cheated" option when you're crashing and burning....

I'm not saying they aren't without merit. They would make the rule's lawyers happy, and might speed up placing of planes. But they would clutter up your gaming area considerably.

I really like them, but only really useful if you had all decks covered - somewhat impractical. Have to say nice idea and great to see people interested enough in our game to operate a bit of lateral thinking. Might find myself getting a set though if I encountered them at an event - for my signature mount

two sets of those, or a new plane.....no brainer that one

Might be tough fitting them in with several planes in close. Nice idea but not for me.

they seem like a good idea but there are several drawbacks as you have highlighted above. I shall not rush into buying any.

No I do not think they are a good investment. Mainly for the reasons other above have stated. Secondly my hands may be shakey but not that shakey and not at that price!

Like the idea - would certainly speed things up (bit like SW) but the drawbacks quickly add up, cost being one of them !

Get sets N,L,D,E and you have one of every template you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Get sets N,L,D,E and you have one of every template you need.
    That's why you're the rocket scientist ! Maybe they could just make one set that covers all ?

I've ordered one set (L) and will report on its suitability. It is mostly to curb the "overenthusiastic" turning ability of a certain opponent!

Interesting Idea.

Firstly its great people are trying to come up with ideas to make this game even better and I salute them for that. However I'm thinking that the time you would waste finding the right bit of wood for the card you've selected is pointless and would just needlessly slow the game down. I do hear the argument about tightening up the accuracy of the movement (read making it harder to cheat) but I really am of a mind that rule lawyers can go poke it. I certainly won't be dragging anyone to the Supreme Court of WoG for twisting me over the odd mm once in a blue moon

They look OK. I can see how some players would find them extremely useful. I can also see why others wouldn't be keen on them. I'm OK with the cards as is, so I'll be passing on these.

I bought one of each of NLDE as an experiment.
    I used them in a D.II vs Spad VII fight - B vs V deck. B is a subset of L, V a subset of D.
    They sped up the game markedly. You can't use them when bases overlap or nearly so, but they're good maybe 75% of the time. There's only half a dozen to choose from, that takes no time.

One of the few times I've been pleasantly surprised. They worked better than expected, with predicted disadvantages having no significant effect.

Similar Missions

1. I need an opinion...
    By The Cowman in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 11-03-2014, 02:38
  2. Opinion wanted
    By Kaiser in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-16-2011, 01:12
  3. Looking for paint opinion again...
    By The Cowman in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 8