Ares Games

Thread: On this day 20 February - "Butch" O'Hare becomes the first U.S. Navy flying ace

Default On this day 20 February - "Butch" O'Hare becomes the first U.S. Navy flying ace

O’Hare in his Grumman F4F-3 Wildcat

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20a OHare-NARA.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	167.1 KB 
ID:	123314

On the 20th of February 1942, Lieutenant Edward Henry “Butch” O’Hare became the U.S. Navy’s first flying ace of WWII. O’Hare was onboard the USS Lexington (CV-2) as the carrier, part of Task Force 11, was heading to attack Rabaul, which, recently, was captured by the Japanese. At 10:15 a.m., Lexington’s radar spotted an unidentified aircraft 35 miles from the ship. Six planes were launched, two of which headed to intercept the unknown plane. At 11:12, the two fighters, under the command of Lieutenant Commander John Smith Thach, shot down the plane at a position of 43 miles from the Lexington. The plane was a Japanese Kawanishi H6K4 Type 97 “Mavis” flying boat. The crew onboard the Japanese plane was able to radio in Lexington’s position before the plane met its demise. Fifty minutes later, two other Wildcats, part of the combat air patrol, shot down a second Mavis, this time 35 miles from the Lexington.

Kawanishi H6K Type 97 “Mavis”

Name:	20 Kawanishi_H6K_Type_97_Transport_Flying_Boat_Mavis_H6K-8s.jpg 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	123315

At 3:42 in the afternoon, Lexington’s radar picked up a V-shaped signal, but was lost soon thereafter. Forty-three minutes later, the signal was reacquired, and six Wildcats, under the command of Thach, were launched to intercept. Lt. O’Hare was flying F4F Wildcat BuNo 4031 "White F-15". The enemy formation consisted of nine Japanese Mitsubishi G4M "Betty" bombers, which were carrying 550-pound bombs. Each one of the interceptors scored a kill, and of the remaining Bettys, two were damaged. The three Japanese bombers eventually succumbed to the carrier’s anti-aircraft guns.

On the heels of the interception, another formation of incoming bombers was picked up by Lexington’s radar. This time, the Bettys were only 12 miles out, coming in on the disengaged side of TF11. Once again six planes were launched, split into three two-plane sections. As they headed east, the only interceptors standing between the bombers and the carrier were O’Hare and his wingman, Lt. Junior Grade Marion W. “Duff” Dufilho. The two Americans reached the eight Bettys when the Japanese were nine miles away from the Lexington. The bombers were flying in a tight V-formation in which the rear guns provided overlapping coverage. Dufilho’s guns were jammed, leaving O’Hare alone to attack the Bettys. Armed with four 50-calibur guns, O’Hare only had enough ammunition for approximately 34 seconds of firing.

Mitsubishi G4M "Betty"

Name:	20 g4m-1.jpg 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	123316

O’Hare began his attack with a high-side dive onto the right-side plane of the formation, firing into the right engine and wing fuel tank of Nitō Hikō Heisō Tokiharu Baba (3. Shotai). O’Hare then swung around attacking the leftmost bomber, Ittō Hikō Heisō Bin Mori (3. Shotai), damaging the Betty. As O’Hare made his final attacks, the Japanese planes entered the defensive fire range of the American ships. Though they dropped ten 550-pound bombs, the Betty’s failed to hit their target. In the end, O’Hare shot down two more of the Japanese intruders - Ittō Hikō Heisō Susumu Uchiyama's (1. Shotai), and the leader of the formation, Shōsa Takuzo Ito's – and damaged a second Betty - Ittō Hikō Heisō Kodji Maeda (2. Shotai). During the entire engagement, O’Hare’s plane was hit by only one bullet. For his actions, he received the Medal of Honor.

Medal of Honor Citation for Lieutenant Edward Henry O’Hare, USN

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in aerial combat, at grave risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty, as section leader and pilot of Fighting Squadron 3 on 20 February 1942. Having lost the assistance of his teammates, Lt. O'Hare interposed his plane between his ship and an advancing enemy formation of 9 attacking twin-engine heavy bombers. Without hesitation, alone and unaided, he repeatedly attacked this enemy formation, at close range in the face of intense combined machinegun and cannon fire. Despite this concentrated opposition, Lt. O'Hare, by his gallant and courageous action, his extremely skillful marksmanship in making the most of every shot of his limited amount of ammunition, shot down 5 enemy bombers and severely damaged a sixth before they reached the bomb release point. As a result of his gallant action--one of the most daring, if not the most daring, single action in the history of combat aviation--he undoubtedly saved his carrier from serious damage.

References
    http://www.history.army.mil/html/moh...m-s.html#OHARE
    http://worldofwarplanes.com/en/news/...t-butch-ohare/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_O'Hare
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_off_Bougainville
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Lexington_(CV-2)

He also lead the U.S. Navy’s first-ever nighttime fighter attack launched from a carrier of which he did not return.

A Gearing-class destroyer was named in his honor....USS O'Hare (DD-889)

Nice addition to "on this day" thread Eric.

Also a little, minor airport in Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Also a little, minor airport in Chicago.
    Yes indeed....I figured since his name was O'Hare that would be too easy.

I have been to the airport on a couple of occasions in the past but never saw the wildcat.
    After looking it up, the aircraft exhibit is supposed to be located at the west end of Terminal 2 across from the security checkpoint (past security).
    IMHO the airport is one of the more creepy ones and just wanted to get back on a plane and get out of there.

Really; I found it about normal for an airport.
    Passed through on a connection back home from Cal-State last spring. I have photos from the monument to post (when I can remember )
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Excellent information as usual, Eric.
    Thanks.

Eric, I appreciate that you do this. I really do. Thank you.

It is a pleasure doing these. The past few weeks have been very busy at work, but I hope to have the missing dates filled in within a week or two. I am amazed at how much I am learning about different facets of both wars, and the folks, machines, etc. involved. I wish history classes were this enjoyable when i was in school.

I never thought of O'Hare as creepy. It's definitely not like the newer airports through which I have travelled, but I have never felt uncomfortable. I am from Chicago, however, so I might be part of what makes the airport creepy.

Given who his father was, one wonders if he thought he had to prove something....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_J._O%27Hare

I have a T-Shirt with this squadron symbol "Felix the Cat".

O'Hare shot down five twin engined bomber alone at once? Didn't kew this fact, but this was a great achievement.
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Given who his father was, one wonders if he thought he had to prove something....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_J._O%27Hare

Wow! I did not know that. Thanks for the link!

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-07-2013, 02:19
  2. WGFB: Flying Fury: Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
    By Baldrick62 in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-26-2013, 03:41
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-08-2012, 00:43
  4. Fly Navy 100
    By Evzone in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 0