Ares Games
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Outrider Hobbies / Aerodrome Accessories custom WoW foam trays

Default Outrider Hobbies / Aerodrome Accessories custom WoW foam trays

Hi everyone! I thought I would post some pictures of my new "custom storage solution." Outrider Hobbies in Phoenix, AZ cut some custom foam (which he may start stocking) for me. I like having my planes and their cards and stands together, and I really like what he came up with. The cards are held very snugly. The planes are held loosely, but their cutouts (3 small, 3 large) are based on the sizes of the models released to date; both WoW and DoW fit nicely. There are those that want their planes gripped tightly by the foam (I am not one of those); I have found this to be a needless worry. My planes are handling travel just fine thus far, and Bryan has a creative method of providing for your desired level of protection.

With your order you receive the laser cutouts, which can be used underneath the model so it isn't so deep in the well; or on top of the model to provide complete protection all about the model. I prefer mine under the model to make it easier to retrieve the plane, but either way works as well.
    The foam is noticeably more dense and firm than the pick-foam I had lying around.

Byran, the owner, took my suggestions and created an affordable and protective set of foam trays specific to our game. I am very pleased with his workmanship and professionalism and will be purchasing more in the near future. I invite everyone to take a look at the pictures and my album.

Cheers,
    KW
    Attached Images   

Default One more pic...

Here is one more shot of the tray.
    Attached Images  

Kirby DeWolfe

Awesome. I love that the decks/stand is in the same tray as its plane.

I like that. What's the dimensions of the tray, James.

Oh, and rub it in why don't you, perching the tray on a FOTG box which we haven't seen over here yet.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

For those interested in these, I am currently working with Bryan to bring a refined version of these to Aerodrome Accessories. I have the rough design layouts completed and will make some fine adjustments to them this week. I'll post them up as soon as they are ready.

A few of the things refining from what Kilted Wolf had done are:

• More form fitting shapes for the planes, but with "finger holes" to make picking them up better
    • Finger holes for the card/base slots
    • Cut outs for flight pegs/counters
    • Cut outs for the Aerodrome Accessories Smoke and Flame makers

The trays will fit the standard Army Transport cases (13"x7.5") and two trays will hold one of every plane in Series 1, 2, and 3 for Wings of War. For those that have every miniature releases, you would need 6 trays.

Other trays I'm looking at designing would hold more counters, the damage decks, objective/ground target cards, and other accessories like the range rulers or my Aerodrome Accessories Prop Rulers. I'm also going to look into offering the trays in a size that is more standard for the bags our UK pilots can easily get there hands on. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me or Kilted Wolf.

Very good work James! i like it.
    i have to think something similar for my planes too
    the black-foam was pre-cutted or not?

Lovely-jubbley!

Here are the rough layouts as promised:

Central Power:

Entente Powers:

I'm working on making good use of some of the empty spaces in those layouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Olt^Jones View Post
    Very good work James! i like it.
    i have to think something similar for my planes too
    the black-foam was pre-cutted or not?
    Yes, the foam will be pre-cut to fit the planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Yes, the foam will be pre-cut to fit the planes.
    These look great to me. My Figures in comfort box holds 14x10 and a 1/4 by 1 and a 1/2 deep into which eight planes and cards fit. If you could match this I would be interested.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Just to make sure I got that right, the Figures in Comfort trays are 14x10.25 and 1.5 deep and hold eight planes and their maneuver decks?

Outstanding! Once these are available, I'll be in line to make some purchases.

Just to make sure I got that right, the Figures in Comfort trays are 14x10.25 and 1.5 deep and hold eight planes and their maneuver decks?
    That is correct Col, plus slots for pegs.
    Rob.

Steve -- the dimensions are 7.5" x 13", and 1.5" deep; standard size here in the states. As the Colonel said, the new ones he is working on may have different dimensions for those across the pond.

Lorenzo -- yes, the tray was pre-cut, and the excess foam from the cutouts was included. Bryan laser cuts these trays, and the workmanship is outstanding. I am very pleased with what he and I came up with. At the same time, I am interested to see what he and the Colonel come up with. I already "need" six more or so!

Cheers,
    KW

outriderhobbies's Avatar Owner Outrider Hobbies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Bryan
    Sorties Flown

Hey guys, Bryan from Outrider Hobbies here. Just wanted to chime in and say this project has been a lot of fun to work on. Keith has some great ideas and we are going to have a great product for you when all is said and done.

One thing I do want to point out is that I have not played the game yet. I bring that up because I want to get you the best product possible, and for that I will need your suggestions and assistance. Obviously Keith has a great start, but what else could you guys use for carrying your planes around?

I was thinking a tray for the fiddly bits, but then I was wondering if they would just end up falling out and defeating the purpose.

Anyways, if you have any ideas, post them here so that Keith and I can see what you want in this regard and we can get working on them for you.

Thanks,
    Bryan Wade
    Outrider Hobbies

Quote Originally Posted by outriderhobbies View Post
    Hey guys, Bryan from Outrider Hobbies here. Just wanted to chime in and say this project has been a lot of fun to work on. Keith has some great ideas and we are going to have a great product for you when all is said and done.

One thing I do want to point out is that I have not played the game yet. I bring that up because I want to get you the best product possible, and for that I will need your suggestions and assistance. Obviously Keith has a great start, but what else could you guys use for carrying your planes around?

I was thinking a tray for the fiddly bits, but then I was wondering if they would just end up falling out and defeating the purpose.

Anyways, if you have any ideas, post them here so that Keith and I can see what you want in this regard and we can get working on them for you.

Thanks,
    Bryan Wade
    Outrider Hobbies
    Hi Bryan,

Grant here. We talked by email! I am really looking forward to them coming out, but here's my thoughts:

1. The trays, for me, should be two types of planes, ie 3x Camel/3x Dr1, not a jumble of planes to make use of the space. - Looking back over the thread I think the Col. just put up the layouts for comparison, right? I think for those of us with all the planes, keeping the sets together makes more sense!

2. I think the finger holes are a good idea.

3. The card layouts are good!

4. Fiddly bits - any chance of getting small boxes that might fit in the foam? A great way to kit out a tray. Or maybe a way to have a fitted velcro cover? Something to keep them from ending up in the bottom of the bag!

5. I said it before, and I will wish it again - a special bag with the Aerodrome (do-able?) or Wings of War logo (tougher?) would be great. Canvas retro military kit style.

Cheers and looking forward to this.

Grant

Grant, in response to your suggestions:

1. So, do you like the layouts I posted, or do you still want 3x two different types of planes per tray? For the fighters, that would be easy, the larger two-seaters might be an issue. I personally laid out my Army Transport planes (in pluck foam) with all of one aircraft type in the same tray. I'm still torn on the best way to arrange all the planes. With the layouts I posted above, I really like that I could pull out one Entente and one Central Powers tray and have any of the aircraft I might need. I tend to play with certain miniatures more then the others based on the paint jobs, so I would just put all my favorites into one tray.

4. I've been looking into some plastic box options for the card decks, so I might be able to do something for the "fiddly bits" as well. I'm thinking that the boxes could be made to fit into a separate fiddly bit/card deck tray as we will need something to carry the damage decks around in as well.

Grant, in response to your suggestions:

1. So, do you like the layouts I posted, or do you still want 3x two different types of planes per tray? For the fighters, that would be easy, the larger two-seaters might be an issue. I personally laid out my Army Transport planes (in pluck foam) with all of one aircraft type in the same tray. I'm still torn on the best way to arrange all the planes. With the layouts I posted above, I really like that I could pull out one Entente and one Central Powers tray and have any of the aircraft I might need. I tend to play with certain miniatures more then the others based on the paint jobs, so I would just put all my favorites into one tray.

4. I've been looking into some plastic box options for the card decks, so I might be able to do something for the "fiddly bits" as well. I'm thinking that the boxes could be made to fit into a separate fiddly bit/card deck tray as we will need something to carry the damage decks around in as well.
    Hi Col.:

1. I would prefer 3x Plane A / 3x Plane B - makes it easier for me, and I am perhaps TOO organized.

4. I agree! A small box and all the damage decks in a foam tray would be ideal.

These look just sensational. My only worry would be the loose fit of the planes. I use pluck foam trays that are the standard Army Transport size and put a leftover piece of foam over the tails to hold them even more firmly in place. This allows me to carry the box they are in (which I got at The Container Store) horizontally and vertically.

Rick: I have not found the loose fit of the planes to be a concern. I don't carry my trays vertically; the Army Transport keeps things nice and horizontal, and having the trays stacked on top of one another has insured that the planes stay put. I also keep the extra trays in a plastic file box, and again they stay horizontal. I suppose if vertical carry were an issue, placing the leftover foam from the cutouts on top of the plane would keep everything secure. This is what I would do if I were traveling by air for example. For day-to-day carry, stacking the trays keeps everything from moving around.

I guess I am not as OCD as I thought, and I am not buying all the planes of each series (yet). I like that the trays allow me to store the planes in whatever configuration they happen to be in when removed from play. Having the cards above the plane provides me with instant identification, and looking through the trays lets me glance at my precious before deciding what to play.

Grant: I second the motion of a WoW or Aerodrome carry bag!!

I have my counters and extra cards in Plano boxes, and I find this to keep everything nice and organized -- if requiring me to carry another bag. I'll post pictures of my other boxes this weekend and add them to this thread if anyone is interested.

Cheers,
    KW
    Last edited by KiltedWolf; 07-28-2010 at 22:12.

Quote Originally Posted by rrodrick View Post
    These look just sensational. My only worry would be the loose fit of the planes. I use pluck foam trays that are the standard Army Transport size and put a leftover piece of foam over the tails to hold them even more firmly in place. This allows me to carry the box they are in (which I got at The Container Store) horizontally and vertically.
    Rick, the trays I'm working on will be much tighter fitting to the planes, that is why I added the finger holes to make it easier to pick up the planes. I'm aiming to have about 2~3mm of space between the plane and foam.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamBarkerVC View Post
    5. I said it before, and I will wish it again - a special bag with the Aerodrome (do-able?) or Wings of War logo (tougher?) would be great. Canvas retro military kit style.
    Quote Originally Posted by KiltedWolf View Post
    Grant: I second the motion of a WoW or Aerodrome carry bag!!
    About 6 months ago I started working on a design for a nice carrying bag that would fit the Army Transport sized trays (which I was working on a improved replacement for as well). The bags were modular and had accessories you could add or remove to really customize them. Alas, with the new baby arriving my time to work on that project vanished and funding for something that large got tight as well. I'd love to see that product some to life as it would really fill the gap in carrying cases out there... nicer then both Army Transport and Battle Foam, but with a projected price between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamBarkerVC
    4. Fiddly bits - any chance of getting small boxes that might fit in the foam? A great way to kit out a tray. Or maybe a way to have a fitted velcro cover? Something to keep them from ending up in the bottom of the bag!
    Grant, my first though, before I got to the last post, was chopping down a 35mm camera film tub to the depth of a tray and cutting a circle into whatever gap is spare.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamBarkerVC View Post
    Hi Col.:

1. I would prefer 3x Plane A / 3x Plane B - makes it easier for me, and I am perhaps TOO organized.

4. I agree! A small box and all the damage decks in a foam tray would be ideal.

I agree wholeheartedly. As I acquire every set of 1 planes in it's entirety when it is produced, having them stored by sets of thre of each model is idea for me.

Hi Col
    Yes the fiddly bits are a concern. At the moment what with damage decks x 2 to fit the suggestion about fairness in play, I also have Drachen cards, plastic pegs for same, and ground target cards and guns. Add to that the round markers and flack markers with stands, plus your smoke and flame sets, with rulers as well , and I have pretty well a whole tray taken up with bits and bobs. any tray you can design has got to be an improvement on this.
    Rob.

I worked flight peg, smoke and flame markers into the layouts I posted above, but alas, I think I have to have more wall thickness along the outside. This will necessitate moving them to a separate tray.

Another issue that I am having is what to do with the planes from the Balloon Buster sets. Do I try and squeeze them on to the current plane tray, throw them on the "bits" tray or what?

@ Col. Hajj, put the balloon buster planes in the same tray as the 4 planes from the new Deluxe Edition...

That might work, what do other think of that idea?

That might work, what do other think of that idea?
    If you put the Balloon buster set in, how are you going to fit in the balloon?
    Just joking honest.
    Rob.

Another thought is that you'll have 4 each of the first series planes with the deluxe set, something to consider if you want all similar aircraft in the same tray.

Quote Originally Posted by KiltedWolf View Post
    Steve -- the dimensions are 7.5" x 13", and 1.5" deep; standard size here in the states. As the Colonel said, the new ones he is working on may have different dimensions for those across the pond.
    The certainly will be good news, as I for one don't want to start buying another case of different dimensions to the ones I've already got.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    If you put the Balloon buster set in, how are you going to fit in the balloon?
    Just joking honest.
    Rob.

A balloon could be cut into a thicker foam tray. Now that would be cool.

As for the special aircraft, I think the Nieuports with rockets would fit nicely with the four from the upcoming deluxe box - to my mind keeping sets together is a good thing b

You could put me down for a couple ofthe bags Keith and I am sure that it would be a popular item! If you find the time that is

Rick, the trays I'm working on will be much tighter fitting to the planes, that is why I added the finger holes to make it easier to pick up the planes. I'm aiming to have about 2~3mm of space between the plane and foam.

About 6 months ago I started working on a design for a nice carrying bag that would fit the Army Transport sized trays (which I was working on a improved replacement for as well). The bags were modular and had accessories you could add or remove to really customize them. Alas, with the new baby arriving my time to work on that project vanished and funding for something that large got tight as well. I'd love to see that product some to life as it would really fill the gap in carrying cases out there... nicer then both Army Transport and Battle Foam, but with a projected price between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz67 View Post
    @ Col. Hajj, put the balloon buster planes in the same tray as the 4 planes from the new Deluxe Edition...
    Great suggestion!

Okay, so the BB planes in with the new Deluxe set. I currently have my balloons in foam trays. I'll see what we can do about getting some custom ones made up.

As long as the numbers work out, I will be offering the US standard size of 7.5 x 13 inches and a UK size of 10.25 x 14 inches (to fit the Figures in Comfort bags). The depth of the trays will be based on the needs of the miniatures in them.

Okay, so the BB planes in with the new Deluxe set. I currently have my balloons in foam trays. I'll see what we can do about getting some custom ones made up.

As long as the numbers work out, I will be offering the US standard size of 7.5 x 13 inches and a UK size of 10.25 x 14 inches (to fit the Figures in Comfort bags). The depth of the trays will be based on the needs of the miniatures in them.
    Thanks Col. I'll keep my big mouth shut in future. I never intended my remark about balloons to be taken seriously.
    Rob.

No worries at all, I was already going to try and make the balloon trays... if only for my self!

outriderhobbies's Avatar Owner Outrider Hobbies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Bryan
    Sorties Flown

Quick reply as it is almost 3am, and I really should sleep at some point.

Balloon trays are possible, I have cut foam up to 5 inches thick. Balloons would probably only need 3".

Quote Originally Posted by outriderhobbies View Post
    Quick reply as it is almost 3am, and I really should sleep at some point.

Balloon trays are possible, I have cut foam up to 5 inches thick. Balloons would probably only need 3".
    Two balloons per tray? I was going to guess 4", not far off.

Yes, you can get two balloons per tray. I think I used a 3.5 inch tray, but they would have fit into a 3 inch tray.

Yes, you can get two balloons per tray. I think I used a 3.5 inch tray, but they would have fit into a 3 inch tray.
    You can put me down for one of those Col.
    Rob.

Col & KW, you've outdone yourselves! This is a great idea any which way you cut the trays!! My son and I were trying to figure out how to aquire the foam so we could cut our own, but now we don't have to go through the trouble. We'll definitely be buying six trays (when they're available) since we have nearly every mini thus far. Honestly, I'd be happy with either of the possibilities discussed, as long as our planes are kept safe and snug. The carry case would be icing on the cake! Don't suppose you can get all this stuff ready for purchase before my birthday next week? LOL! (Just kidding).

One question, though. You mentioned the Army Transport cases. Where do you get these? I'm guessing your standard army/navy store or is that a general term for some sort of hard/soft carry case? Oh, I just saw there's one in the pictures above. Is it a brand name?

Scott
    Last edited by Goering Ace; 07-30-2010 at 18:17.

Army Transport is a brand of hobby bag popular with miniature gamers. It is available at many hobby shops that carry for example games workshop. http://www.saboldesigns.net/home.html

FYI on the Army Transport bags:

I currently have all of my WWI Series 1-3 plus the two BB planes in one of the Army Transport Platoon bags. It is clipped to the top of one of their Army Transport II bags that carry all of my cards, maneuver decks and the two balloons.

With these new trays, I'll be re-figuring what bag(s) will give the most bang for the buck.

Okay, I worked up some 3x3 type of layouts for the Entente planes:

As you can see, they do not fit as nicely as the half set of plane do. The Snipe-N17 tray has some nice room left over for some extra stuff... but if you put some thing in there that is very useful, you will be pulling this tray out every time you go to play... even if you do not need these planes.

Thoughts?

I really like how the layouts are coming along. The one at the bottom, although it would be somewhat inefficient, perhaps you could just spread the planes around and use up the space or just make an opening for "stuff". Kind of a tough thing to make 100% perfect but I think they are looking really good!

I will need a complete set!

I too use the Platoon bag as my favourite. It is a perfect size for carrying stuff and isn't massive. Plus two Platoon bags can be clipped together if needed for more space.

I think a custom bag made in a beige-light brown with the Aerodrome logo would be a must own. Think on it, Col.!

Kirby DeWolfe

My suggestion would be to arrange the Snipe/N17 tray such that you could fit some range rulers in. Everything else fits in either mini-plano's or ziplocs, the rulers are the only "odd" sized items I have problems with.

Is it economically feasible for you to offer both arrangement of trays? AAA/BBB or ABCDAB etc... once the pattern is recorded for cutting its a matter of stock management.

Either way, you'll have an order from me, plucking foam isn't near as much fun as it appears.

I'll have to look into offering both types... not sure if it would be worth tying capital and product space. I was also think that if I go the 3x3 route, that there are going to be 8 different trays to make and have to stock. 3 different ones for the Entente and 3 for the Central powers, 1 for the bits and cards, and one for the balloons. If I do the 6x1 style, I only need to make and stock 4 types of trays. 2 for the planes, 1 for the bits and cards, and 1 for the balloons.

Here are what the Central Power 3x3 trays would look like:

I would of course fill in some of the empty spaces with "bit" openings.

And the Card/Bits layout:

The bit boxes might change in size as I'll have to see what I can come up with as far as clear plastic boxes go.

Looks smashing Colonel. I would definitely go for a bits tray and a balloon tray!

Just a note: I am sure you are taking into account the need for a certain wall thickness around the parameter edge, and these pics are from an internal perspective of the tray's dimensions.

Cheers,
    KW

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. KR Multicase Foam Trays
    By NeilCFord in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-03-2010, 14:48
  2. Figures in Comfort Foam Trays
    By NeilCFord in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 09-18-2010, 05:03