Ares Games

Thread: GAME MATTS

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Stephen
    Sorties Flown

Cool GAME MATTS

Having all three of the game matts now, I must congratulate the designers for their fantastic artwork.
    I am constantly receiving comments from other gamers and the general public when on how good the game matts look! (They like the planes too)

My wish is that each of thes three gaming matts could be redrawn keeping the existing terrain, but with the towns, cities and countryside showing a landscape damaged by constant artillery bombardments and aerial attack.

It would be great if we could end up with 6 interlocking game matts, the 3 existing matts and 3 extra maps reflecting the damaged world we fly over???

Users Country Flag

Name
    Thijs
    Sorties Flown

That would be great!
    I have the coastal and countryside mat and really like them too,
    And they are very handy in use!

It would be great if they make new matts to match up with the art work of the current ones. Some with no mans land pocked with shell holes lined with trenches on either side would be neat.

I had the original 2 matts but sold them as they really didn't go well with the new ones. I liked the airfield and some of the other features...which I can't remember now.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    It would be great if they make new matts to match up with the art work of the current ones. Some with no mans land pocked with shell holes lined with trenches on either side would be neat.

I had the original 2 matts but sold them as they really didn't go well with the new ones. I liked the airfield and some of the other features...which I can't remember now.
    Even a reduced sized mat strip of No man's land that married up with the countryside mats would be great. You could then use it in a variety of ways. Either to demark the extreme end of the playing area, or in the middle, between two existing mats for the more traditional games.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Originally broached this with Keith to see if Ares would produce a thinner mat with just no-mans land on it. Then the main mats would remain multi-war useable.
    See you on the Dark Side......

I agree that a visual No man's land would be awesome. It is especially useful if you play any house rules where a pilot can crash land and be captured.

So many things that can be done with the mats. intergrade the sails mats with the wings mats and build a whole battle terrain system.

I like the thin strip of No Mans Land idea. That would be very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Even a reduced sized mat strip of No man's land that married up with the countryside mats would be great. You could then use it in a variety of ways. Either to demark the extreme end of the playing area, or in the middle, between two existing mats for the more traditional games.
    Rob.
    I like this idea... I think, in whatever form we can get it, a "NML" mat would be received well.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Still use my original mats. Although the newer mats are very well done, they're a tad dark for my liking...

I agree with fast.git the new mats are dark. I like the cartoony color of the original mats that allow the planes to be seen better. But I do like the graphic look of the newer mats.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Blake View Post
    I agree with fast.git the new mats are dark. I like the cartoony color of the original mats that allow the planes to be seen better. But I do like the graphic look of the newer mats.
    Planes? Hell, the real problem is trying to find your WOG maneuver cards - they're a bit TOO realistic. They blend! And don't get me started on flight stand pegs...a buddy of mine was lucky to find a bag of them last October or so, when we first started playing, and we figured it would be all we would ever need. But the rate of attrition is high, and our excess supply is starting to run low...

I liked the look of the new mats, until I try to take overhead photos of planes in action. I tried using the new mats for my animation project, as I wanted to showcase ARES Wings of Glory game, but that was a complete bust. You couldn't make out the planes or the cards. So, I used the green flannel sheet that I have been using for my Skype games. Terrible waste of money and shipping charges (doubled the cost of the mats! ), to get the mats, and I don't use them.

Quote Originally Posted by horsepyre View Post
    ... And don't get me started on flight stand pegs...a buddy of mine was lucky to find a bag of them last October or so, when we first started playing, and we figured it would be all we would ever need. But the rate of attrition is high, and our excess supply is starting to run low...
    Austin, may I draw your attention to the following thread?
    Accessories and Pegs

Mike

Similar Missions

1. Wings of war board game computer game?
    By =Binks= in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-03-2019, 15:00
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-20-2014, 08:49
  3. New game mats versus old game mats
    By STICK in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-07-2013, 02:19
  4. Amazing 'In-Game' images from a Computer Flight Sim Game
    By usmc1855 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7