Ares Games
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Series 4 Miniatures

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jeremy
    Sorties Flown

Although I like my new Breguets, I can do without more two-seater models from here on out. Really what I'd most like to see is another 12 of the series 1 planes with new pilots/paint. Our group seems to prefer playing with those 4 planes. Happy to see the new deluxe set will add more, but 12 new ones would be even better.

I like collecting the different models as much as playing them so I like seeing new models including two-seaters. But I too would like to see some of the older models with new paint schemes. However, I guess whatever they put out I'll end up buying it.

I'd love more of the flying circus paint schemes, especially the red/green combo. Those bombers are going to be fun, too.

My girlfriend called my when I was at school - immediately I left the building when she said that there's a big big packet for me. And yes, there it was, with all 12 planes (plus one ARC-170 fighter from Star Wars), and it took almost an hour to get them all free from packages.
    They look so fantastic! Soon I will bring forth the whole fleet, 45 planes and 2 balloons. I hope some of my friends has nothing to do tomorrow evening...

Quote Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
    My girlfriend called my when I was at school - immediately I left the building when she said that there's a big big packet for me. And yes, there it was, with all 12 planes (plus one ARC-170 fighter from Star Wars), and it took almost an hour to get them all free from packages.
    They look so fantastic! Soon I will bring forth the whole fleet, 45 planes and 2 balloons. I hope some of my friends has nothing to do tomorrow evening...
    Nice!

Does anyone know when Series 4 planes will be available in the UK?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Probably / hopefully 5th October - see my post from yesterday further up the thread....

Thanks for clarifying that Dom

Default Series IV

Well, just got a call and my series IV are in!! Pick them up tomorrow. RE: posts speaking of fewer 2 seaters...hmmm...I don't really have an opinion on that...I think I'd like to see some of the lesser represented nationalities. e.g. Turkey, Poland, etc. Also, am waiting on some bomber minis. Wouldn't mind seeing some accessories as well. e.g. hangars, factories, tanks, trucks, etc. i know that you can download other folks home-made cards for these...but it's still a PITA to print 'em etc. I prefer to just purchase them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    To be honest very few 2-seaters are destined for anything else - most C types and allied equivalents fall into the same broad performance range; 100 mph or so, unexceptional handling, with only a few particularly fast (DH4) or agile (Biff, CL types) 2-seaters having any noticeable performance edge.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeBru View Post
    Although I like my new Breguets, I can do without more two-seater models from here on out. Really what I'd most like to see is another 12 of the series 1 planes with new pilots/paint. Our group seems to prefer playing with those 4 planes. Happy to see the new deluxe set will add more, but 12 new ones would be even better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hako_Ikki View Post
    I think that there are enough two seaters in the previous series, and I don't understand why include Breguet and Rumpler when they use maneuver decks previously released in other miniatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Yeah, I know... still sucks though. I can see the desire to give us two seaters for each period of the war, but I hate that it takes up 50% of the series to give us planes only used in a few scenarios I'd almost prefer they did special sets like BB for the two seaters. Give us both side's plane (or maybe two for side) in a single box. I think most of us would be happy with just two different paint jobs for the two seaters.
    Well, I think the set V series is going to be free of two seaters.

IMHO, I think the miniature planes that exist right now for the game is pretty freakin' sweet! I mean, there are 17 aircraft types, with three paint schemes for most of them.

We have game matts and balloons.

To my way of thinking, the game is just now hitting it's stride. All the building blocks for a terrific game are now in place. I can pretty much get anyone I want to play the game with me, it is so visually appealing.

I for one, was extremely happy to see that latest two seater planes. I think having three different two seaters per side is a good amount to choose from in games.

There are 5 different fighters per side, and the rocket Nieuports.

Everything from here on out is strictly icing on the cake as far as a game goes.

What I've seen being previewed for the next set and the bombers looks super to me, and I think will be great for the game.

Now that they have these first four sets out, and a good place to start out for most gamers now, I think they can go back and look at things like different paint schemes for previously released planes, and getting into some of the different aircraft of the time period.

For now though, I think they've done a super job of laying the foundation for the game. Hopefully in a few years down the road, we'll have all sorts of things available, but for now we've got a great base to start with.

What Rob said! Most excellent!

Exclamation

Rob you are forgeting the Series 5 planes, once we have those then I recon we will have a full set of planes to cover the war (WW1) right from start to finish. I cannot wait much longer for this series to come out DH2's and Focker EIII's

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Rob you are forgeting the Series 5 planes, once we have those then I recon we will have a full set of planes to cover the war (WW1) right from start to finish. I cannot wait much longer for this series to come out DH2's and Focker EIII's
    I agree whole heartedly!

I was just commenting that I think they are doing a pretty good job so far of laying out the groundwork for the game in terms of aircraft, which I agree with you will be really done as a foundation with the release of set V.

After that, the sky's the limit, no pun intended! (or was it... )

Aside from my excitement over getting the SE5a as a miniature in set IV, set V is going to be a very highly anticipated set for me.

I'm not sure though what is on the ramp next. Bombers or series V?

Regardless, I can't wait for both. After which I hope the Brisfit makes an appearance in the game as a miniature in the next set.

What a great game we have now though!

With the amazing things available now in video games; when my kids stop to see what Dad is doing with "the airplanes", you know you've got something special!
    Last edited by kaufschtick; 09-23-2010 at 22:09.

I think bombers first then series 5.

[Dr. Frankenstein]

It's arrived! IT'S ARRIVED!

[/Dr. F]

[Snoopy dance]

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    [Dr. Frankenstein]

It's arrived! IT'S ARRIVED!

[/Dr. F]

[Snoopy dance]
    Good Lord Man! Enough with the dancing, Check your Six!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaufschtick View Post
    Good Lord Man! Enough with the dancing, Check your Six!!! :eek:
    Except I don't fly a Camel -- Hanriot HD.1 (which Richthofen never shot down, I might add :) ).

Although the Series 4 has not been released in Australia. I finaly was able to get 1of each today a mate got some from the good old US of A and they are great, now all we need is serice 5

You are insatiable, sir. I bet that as soon as you wil get that Series 5, you will ask for Series 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    You are insatiable, sir. I bet that as soon as you wil get that Series 5, you will ask for Series 6.
    Let's face it... it's an addiction. We just can't get enough of the good stuff...

Indeed, you never have too many of them. Nowadays I have to make orders in secret, my girlfriend think I should talk to a shrink.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Series V?

Series VI?

I'm reading rumors that series VII may have the Brisfit...so that's the one we really need to get to!

Bring on the Brisfits! Bring on the Brisfits!

After that, we can really start speculating about seriesVIII...

Default Got 'em!

Picked up my Series IV yesterday. They look great, of course. Best part was that the pricing was the same wether you got a single seater or a two seater...saved me about $18 US in total (not including tax). I really liked the armament variety with the Breguets...3 planes, three different set-ups.

We always play with at least 1 two-seater per side, so I like the 2 seaters in the various releases.

We had a survey a while ago that asked whether we would prefer new planes or new paint schemes for existing planes (or both). Those of us favoring new paint schemes were in the minority.

But I still hope.

Name
    Gordon Parker
    Sorties Flown

Default Series IV

Series IV arrived in my store this week and my usual complaints aside (poor ratio of RAF/RFC types to German) I am quite pleased with them.
    I must say they are very well done.
    I particularly like the Pfalz schemes with Holtzem's being my favourite. The Rumplers are also very nice, as are the Bregeut's.
    I am far less enamoured of the Se's unfortunately. Although I am very happy to have Bishop's Se5a I am disappointed in the other choices.
    If FFG wanted colour I would have thought Grinnel-Milne's all red Se would have been a better choice and I definitely would have preferred McCudden's Se5a to Dallas'.
    The colour scheme for Boudwin's Se5a is, to my mind, another very odd choice since the bulk of his career was flown with RAF's 84 sqd. Joseph Boudwin (Child Yank) didn't transfer to 25 pursuit until October 1918. According to Boudwin's own account, the a/c modeled by FFG was his mount for only 4 DAYS!
    Crazy.
    If FFG wants more colourful RAF subjects, surely the blue and red nosed Se5a's of Bishop and McCudden would have been extremely popular choices.

I am beginning to wonder if FFG has a bias AGAINST British aces.
    In series 1 we have 3 Camels; A Canadian (Barker), a Brit (I had to look Ellwood up as he is not very high on the Ace list) and a Belgian.
    In series 2's Snipes we have a Canadian (Barker, again), and 2 Australian's (Ryrie and Baker).
    Series 3 had no RAF/RFC fighters and as already noted series 4 has a Canadian an American and an Australian.
    So what the heck is going on here? 1 British Ace (ish) in 9 colour schemes. If I was of the UK persuasion I would be feeling more than a little browned off!

Even though I am very happy to have the Barker and Bishop models and I can look forward to Roy Brown's camel, a McKeever Bristol Fighter and a Collishaw Tripe hound, I have to say the model ratio for the British is JUST WRONG!
    Of course that'st my opinion as usual.
    Gord

You bring up some good points. Hopefully we will see some repaints of British aces someday...

Well now Angilillo now that you come to mention it there are a couple of others I would like to see..........

Quote Originally Posted by Gord View Post
    I have to say the model ratio for the British is JUST WRONG!
    Bah -- there were far more Allies than just Britain; whereas Germany, Austria-Hungary, and the Ottoman Empire made up the whole of the enemy. So, one Brit amongst many Allies, and all Germans among the enemy, makes perfect sense.

Default Series IV

I got my Series 4 set from Troll & Toad for $6.99 ea.! They will be here Tuesday.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tom
    Sorties Flown

Draks
    please let us know how you like your models from Troll and Toad. Are they brand new in the original boxes? I was a little confused as the way they were advertised.
    trumpetman52

Default UK availability

For those of you that are desperate to get series 4 planes in the UK I have just found that they are available from a UK seller on ebay!

Is this a scam as they are not available anywhere else?

Don
    Last edited by Burt; 09-26-2010 at 14:07. Reason: New line of text added

Quote Originally Posted by trumpetman52 View Post
    Draks
    please let us know how you like your models from Troll and Toad. Are they brand new in the original boxes? I was a little confused as the way they were advertised.
    trumpetman52
    I have every WoW mini except for the red Triplane. 90% of these have come from Troll & Toad and they are always brand new, unopened boxes. The only problem I have ever had was I was shorted a plane once but as soon as I emailed them it was in the mail that day.

I'll post again when the new set comes in.

Hi.

It is becoming pretty probable that we will see Series 1 repaints in the future.

Sorry for the Se5a, but things are a bit more difficult than they seem. The all red one "Schweinhund" of Grinnell-Milne is a post-war scheme (even if the plane is the one with which he scored his last victory on the 3rd of November, 1918, and even if you find it on the cover of model kits while fighting over the front) - we prefer to stick to planes that really saw service at the front during the war. Bishop's blue nosed plane was a Se5, not a Se5a, slower and in need of a different maneuvre deck - that's why we put the duller Se5a. We will try to increase the British planes anyway...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Burt View Post
    For those of you that are desperate to get series 4 planes in the UK I have just found that they are available from a UK seller on ebay!

Is this a scam as they are not available anywhere else?
    I couldn't help suspecting so, although looking at the contact address it's just about possible that they've somehow gotten "early access" as they're only 10 miles down the road from the UK distributor. No way I'd buy before checking, though, as the distributor says "released for sale Friday 1st"....

Edit - see post further down - they've made it into circulation a few days earlier than expected, so the Ebay seller mentioned almost certainly has the product "in hand" as do a few other retailers so far.
    Last edited by Dom S; 09-28-2010 at 14:50.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

Series 4 are available for pre-order on Amazon.co.uk, but the dispatch estimate on my order is for the 14th of October.

As to the colour schemes, I'm quite sure someone will be releasing decals for repaints... Hint hint, Dom...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Yes, someone long ago committed to doing something for the SE5a, so that may well feature in their "finish off these projects so you can wrap up the range" list....

Jeii, repaints! I think Series 1 includes the most important planes. Those plane types had wonderful paints and markings that it would be very nice to see more of them, especially colourful Albatrosses, Fokkers and Spads. The Camel isn't visually so spectacular, but it is awesome to fight with.

And I agree with the point of British planes, more of them would be great - it is always a pleasure to fight with Tommies.

Hi everyone I ordered and paid for my series 4 set from Coolstuff "Thursday" morning my time, got conformation of shipping 12 hours later, models arrived this morning "Tuesday"at 10:00hrs. I did the figures and I have saved 50% on single seaters and 60% on two seaters going by predicted LGS prices who incidently probably won't have them on the shelves for another 2 more months.

The models look nice, I like the two cards different in the American SE5.

To add my two cents to the argument about the number of two seat models per set, I like the format as it is, I think it supplies us with a good variety of different plane types, I have used all of my models in my games (apart from the latest series of course) and I have no issues with repainting additional copies of models of fighters to get even more variation. Yes I can understand the lower appeal of the two seaters to some player/collectors and the effect it may have on retailers stocks, but over all I would much rather have the choice of more types of aircraft rather than more schemes of the same old same old.

I'm looking forward to series 5, 6 and the first bombers set. As much as I am really hanging out for Bristol fighters, I hope we get to see some more early aircraft as well as some more of the Sopwith Family ie Pups, Strutters and Triplanes.

I find it hard to believe the prices quoted here, I suspect we will be paying the usual £9 per plane and more for the two seaters. I'm going to look to the West.

Just checked, I was a pound out

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

The UK rrp is £9.99 per plane (it was on the distributor's pre-release notification), with the 2-seaters at the same price, when they've been £12.99 in the last two series - maybe Nexus are trying to head off the "single-seaters sold out, but still hundreds of two-seaters unsold" issue that's very much the case with series 2 and 3? Whatever the explanation, though, it's definitely a welcome development, and definitely the same price for 1 and 2-seaters.

As of this moment then Toad and Troll are giving the planes away at £4.48!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Bear in mind that shipping, VAT and handling charges will mean they're nowhere near that by the time they reach you, (formula is add shipping to the total, multiply the whole lot by 1.175 for VAT, multiply *that* by 1.049 for import duty if the total so far's more than about £200, and then add £8 handling fee for the customs clearance.) The "headline figure" though is significantly lower than we in the UK can order them wholesale, let alone sell them....

Wink

I only want two of each model and will be repainting the Pfalz's and SE5a's. Not so sure on the other two for repaints but I am researching colours at the moment.

Even with the postage on eight models I should save a packet, just waiting to hear how much their postage will be.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Belis4rius View Post
    Even with the postage on eight models I should save a packet, just waiting to hear how much their postage will be.
    PMI it'll be about $30, as I doubt there's a better option than the flat rate box. First class mail international I suspect as little as $10, but that often goes by surface rather than air, and can't be tracked, so expect a long wait.... (Yeah, I deal with the States a fair bit - FCMI is great value for fairly light items, but *very* slow. Priority flat rate boxes are just fantastic for heavy stuff like books and metal miniatures, but for light but bulky they're quite expensive compared to paying by weight. They *are* quick and trackable though....)

Dom.

Ahh, where's a German FLAK when you need one I could almost see them crossing Germany on their way flying from Italy to Great Britain...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

No, ours must be lend-lease, as they come from America instead of Italy. (Actually I seem to recall Germany got the last two sets of miniatures way before Britain, so won't feel sorry for you anyway.... ) I'll never understand the WoW distribution chain....

I call for another WoW Marshal plan for helping to develope our gaming culture then

So Nexus sends the minis to the US and then you'll get them from oversea? Welcome to globalization

No, that was the way it went at the beginning with the game boxes. The ones in English were produced in Italy, sent to USA, then back across thje Ocean to UK.

But it was corrected lately. Now all is producted in Asia, then sent to Italy for Europe (including UK) and to USA for the rest of the world (more or less - maybe Czech Republic takes the stuff from USA). Formally probably UK still depends from USA (the license for English language is to FFG) but the shipping is rationalized.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Aha, that makes rather more sense....

Just placed an order for a quartet of SE5a models with you Dom. Didn't expect you'd get them in so quickly or I'd have waited a few days before ordering those DVIIs. Ah well, looks like I'll be putting in for some overtime

BTW, Could you (or anyone who's got one of the WoW SE5a models) do me a favour and measure the width of the top wing ? I've got some spare lettering decals kicking about and I'm hoping they'll do for the three of them I'm intending to alter. Thanks.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. The complete WWI Wings of War series - Detailed
    By Desaix in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-19-2016, 16:10
  2. WGF: Flight of Giants
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 218
    Last Post: 09-28-2010, 09:24
  3. WGF: Hit & Run booster
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements