Air Force \ Dauntless ?
    Advanced Squad leader ?

i feel old and lonely !

Users Country Flag

Name
    Adrian
    Sorties Flown

Hi Gauthier!

No you're not (the only one that's old!). But unfortunately I gave up Squad Leader and Luftwaffe years ago when I ran out of opponents with the stamina and desire for multiple-hour(or even day!) games. Just don't have the time anymore...

Regards,
    Adrian

Hey, you are not as young as you used to be -- but you aren't as old as you're going to be!

I remember those games, and some good times. I agree with Adrian (guess it is a sign of the times and our social model), I just don't have the time to commit to long games -- that is one of the draws of WoW. The games are much shorter without sacrificing enjoyment, and extremely portable. You can easily leave the minis at home and pack the cards anywhere.

Cheers,
    KW

Gauthier,

perhaps we are only not so young to the register office. A side issue!

I owned three boardgames.

Squad Leader (I gave away an almost pristine box two years ago)
    A Napoleonic wars game (I gave away it many years ago).
    I kept only the first version of CORTEO: a well done boardgame about a demonstation in a city (look at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9504/corteo).

The troubles were to find people to play with them, complexity and time.

I agree with James. WoW solves a lot ot the issues of old boardgames.

Attilio

Not any more, my back goes after a few hours leaning over the board. About the only thing I have left is a boxed set of "1775".
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Having read this thread Gauthier I think the answer is yes... Yes you are the only one still playing those games but, take heart, you now play Wings of War so at least you won't have to feel lonely ! (or any of the other seven dwarves)

Sorry - couldn't resist !

"He is wise who watches"

Sorry - couldn't resist ![/QUOTE]

Resistance is futile.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matias
    Sorties Flown

No idea of those games....
    Not that Im young ( im going 33 this wensdey)
    Just that I dont know them...
    Here the most intresting game was the T.E.G. a local vertion of RISK. Nice, but I would loved to play games like Squad leader or even a WWII game....

[QUOTE=Galland;21679]No idea of those games....
    Not that Im young ( im going 33 this wensdey)

Get some time in you young Sprog.
    Rob (Age 63and 3/4)

Still have all my old ones, Luftwaffe, Ricthofens war, Panzer Leader/Blitz.

Not many takers these days. I still play Axis and Allies by forum @ Axis and Allies.org

We occasionally dig out 'Wooden Ships and Iron Men' at the club, although this takes forever to play though a scanario. Nevertheless, it's a very enjoyable game, especially if playing the 'funnies' such as Russia versus Sweden.

Still got Richthofen's War, Luftwaffe and Mustangs gathering dust somewhere.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Thumbs up am i the only one left...

How about a Corp level game of Panzer Blitz/ Panzer Leader i have about six sets in the attic. I gave away my copy of Battle of the Bulge years ago. I still have King Maker collecting dust. I also have Air Force and Dauntless up there too! Not to mention the old SPI black and white games like Kursk!

Rich 57.5

Good Lord, Rich, I remember good old Panzer Bush, with tanks creeping from bush to bush, so were never in LOS! That takes me back. I've still got a Squad Leader, (not ASL), and a Runequest, and a Valley of the Four Winds somewhere. Happy days!
    John.
    Last edited by bumblie3; 08-01-2010 at 08:47.

Talking am i the only one left...

John!

In the dim age of War gaming my friend Steve. SteveAce to you, would have Corp level Panzer Blitz games. One of the more memorable ones was an Eastern Front game! A German infantry division and German Panzer division with supports. Verses Russian Mech Corp and an Russian infantry division plus support. Steve and i were the Germans. We knew we had it won when the Russian commanders decided all those Russian infantry 76.2 artillery counters were unnecessary! After all they were attacking, that their tanks would roll over all the Germans they could see. The some how missed seeing half of the German units. They had checked all the forward units and could see only infantry across 8 foot of table top!
    They attacked and advanced slowly across the map and saw victory by splitting us in half! Then they stopped and could not budge the us. Something about finding the artillery of two divisions pounding down on their spearhead! Using dogged Russian methods they put more units into their attack trying to widen the advance. This did not work either,things just bogged down. That is when they thought about all off that artillery in the boxes they forgot.
    That is when they found out where our Panzer`s where. They had
    been cooling there heals in the rivers. They attacked out and were driving into the base of the Russian attack! Can you say Cannae!

Rich

Terrific Rich, totally unrealistic, but great fun hiding all the tanks behind bushes so they couldn't ever be seen until they opened fire. The ultimate ambush game!
    Back in the early 70s some young friends of mine ran a board games and miniatures shop. I met them at a wargames club, and as I was the only adult who seemed to get D&D, we started playing and meeting outside the club on non-club nights and weekends. I remember starting a marathon game, which took all weekend - we had to break off occasionally to serve those blooming customers - and being rung at work on the Monday, to tell me what had happened and ask what my next actions would be!
    Naturally Panzer Bush, Blitzkreig, Afrika Korps, Midway and other AH and SSG games were thoroughly thrashed on the floor of the upper room of that store. I hadn't thought about those days, but your account of your Corps level games brought it all back. Great times.
    Thanks for making me remember.
    John.

Smile

Hi Gauthier

I think James has hit the nail on the head. As fondly as we all remember those old games like Squad Leader and the rest, we also remember the time involved actually playing through to a resolution so, modern life being what it is, it just ain’t going to happen for most of us.

Actually, one of the reasons that my arch enemy Herr Miles agreed to partake in a few ‘evaluation’ games of WoW with me was that I also agreed to play a few games of Panzer Leader with him (oh, the rules the rules!) Thankfully he’s so taken with WoW that he hasn’t mentioned it again and, if he ever joins the Aerodrome, I’d be most grateful to you gentlemen if you never ever remind him of my obligation.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Cundall View Post
    Hi Gauthier

I think James has hit the nail on the head. As fondly as we all remember those old games like Squad Leader and the rest, we also remember the time involved actually playing through to a resolution so, modern life being what it is, it just ain’t going to happen for most of us.

Actually, one of the reasons that my arch enemy Herr Miles agreed to partake in a few ‘evaluation’ games of WoW with me was that I also agreed to play a few games of Panzer Leader with him (oh, the rules the rules!) Thankfully he’s so taken with WoW that he hasn’t mentioned it again and, if he ever joins the Aerodrome, I’d be most grateful to you gentlemen if you never ever remind him of my obligation.

Tom
    Might be a good idea if you delete this message after we have all read it Tom.
    Then he will never know.
    Rob.

Talking am i the only one left...

Rob!

What was i supposed to forget again! Oh well it will come back to some year! Another great part of being an OLD GAMER!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    Rob!

What was i supposed to forget again!
    Rich
    Darned if I can remember Rich. What was the Question again.
    Rob.

Can you say Cannae!
    Rich
    "Were you referring to how Hannibal won, or were you using Elefants among your forces??
    John.

Lightbulb am i the only one left...

John!

His victory over the Romans of course. If Elephants were in ether engagement i do not recall. But i doubt they made an appearance, i have a dislike for large terror weapons. They drawl to much fire!

Rich

Wink am i the only one left...

Rob!

I get really befuddled in front of wife and Tax auditors! Sorry and ISO auditors at work! I always try to find a reason to go by the cleaning tank when they come by! I have been breathing the contents for years, some people have strange reactions while breathing the fumes from 290% Denatured Alcohol!

Rich

Rob!

I get really befuddled in front of wife and Tax auditors! Sorry and ISO auditors at work! I always try to find a reason to go by the cleaning tank when they come by! I have been breathing the contents for years, some people have strange reactions while breathing the fumes from 290% Denatured Alcohol!

Rich
    Denatured Alcohol Rich!
    Is this as good as Carbontetrachloride and Coke on ice?
    Rob.

Thumbs up am i the only one left..

Rob!

If that is you favorite embalming fluid yes!

Rich

Carbon tet? Cor! I can remember us kids using that to clean model railway tracks. What a lovely smell, but do you really need ice when you've got a lump of coke? Sounds like Rob's being perverse...
    John

Thumbs up am i the only one left..

John!

Does Rob shave the ice and the Coke do you think?

Rich

John!

Does Rob shave the ice and the Coke do you think?

Rich
    If I'm not mistaken he would shave anything to save a farthing.....
    John.

Users Country Flag

Name
    ERIN
    Sorties Flown

Hey Gauthier
    I remember 1776 being my second game from avalon hill. Wooden Ships and iron men being the first. Then came Richthofen's war.

I can relate.

Why don't you try to make it to Hurricon this year and take some time over the weekend and do some of those long games. You know you deserve it.

http://www.hmgs-south.com/hmgs/

I remember a time when people actually liked to play a 4-6 hour game...Then we graduated High School got married and had kids and jobs...Now those of us that remember those games, sit around the Wings of War table and reminisce about all the great times we had playing them, and tossing out game titles for others to say "Oh Yeah I remember that one!" Then we spend a few minutes saying that we really should dig it out and play it, followed by griping about all the problems with the rules that need to be fixed and decide to just stick with what we have. As the old song says "...Ah yes I remember it well!"

Very true Charlie, but I'm happy to say that I've made a lot of good friends wargaming, and although some of them are spread about the world now, many are still gamers, so they obviously didn't emigrate to avoid sweating over the games table, or crawling around the floor with rulers and dice.
    One can back from NZ last year, and another from Oz, on visits,and one had picked up a copy of the re-released Panzer Blitz- Hill of Death. So we got together and spent a great day, although their wives didn't seem very enthusiastic. It was on the spur of the moment, and probably the more fun because of it.

John.

Hey Charlie

That sounds awfully familiar. Do you think we’re all living parallel lives?

It's interesting to look back at all the old boardgames. I can remember when it took almost as much time to set them up as to actually playing them. Then you always had at least one rules lawyer who would bring controversy to the group. There were times we spent more time arguing over interpretations of the rules than moving the pieces and rolling dice.

Just found a copy of " Lion of the North" in the attic whilst changing a light bulb. Guess we will have to give that another airing soon.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tom
    Sorties Flown

Wow, What memories. My first game was Midway and my friend and I played it until the counters have almost lost any of their distinction. Then of course there was Air Force, Dauntless, Mustangs, Squad Leader, Bismarck, Bomber by Yaquinto, Flight Leader and a whole host of other Avalon Hill and Victory Games. I still think my favorites were B-17 Queen of the Sky and Ambush!, the whole ambush series european and pacific theaters. I have the whole series. It is not for sale. The nice thing about it now is that I can play it with miniatures, 1/72 scale. Oh that we would have had miniatures when they first came out. Wait a minute. Does that mean that I am entering my second childhood? Ma Ma

trumpetman52

Tom, I am 70 and still in my first childhood - I was determined not to miss anything!
    Thanks for reminding me, I still have a copy of Ambush and Patton's Best.I shall have to root them out again.
    John.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tom
    Sorties Flown

This sounds horrible, but I have has some of my best gaming playing the Ambush series, even with chits instead of miniatures. I thought that was a game that was thought out extremely well before marketing.
    trumpetman52

[QUOTE=bumblie3;23324]Tom, I am 70 and still in my first childhood - I was determined not to miss anything!

Well we lasted long enough to see Lady Gaga. without being part of the act yet, so we must be doing O.K. When are we going to Gay Paree to see the Follies.That's got to be worth a shot at a Coronary. If you feel that is too much of a strain get that Patton's Best out and try emulate him. That should do it.
    Rob.

What? Go round the hospital tent and slap patients? That would be a Folly....

John.

Default Still boardgaming????

Late chime in, but for me it's the time. Amazing how things change when you get married, esp later in life. And sadly 5-6 hours sleep doesn't cut it anymore, so with getting up at 3AM for work, that leaves not alot of time in the evenings.
    Still hoping to get some of the locals gamers back to the classics. And get them flying planes
    Karl

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matias
    Sorties Flown

And I plaing Risk local vertion...
    I need more of those games..
    Its terrible..

Some of those games and a cool and dark beer

If I were filthy rich and didn't have to work, and I had some friends who were filthy rich and didn't have to work. And I had a dedicated game room with tables that I could leave set up with various old school war games. And a staff of craftsmen to make miniatures and terrain pieces. And I hired professional instructors to translate the rules into video tutorials. And referees during the game to answer rules questions and make rulings. And a food and bar service... Oh, it just sounds so complicated. I think WoW is a much more practical solution. Maybe I'm just getting old too.

I used to play a lot of squad leader and advanced squad leader as a kid, it was a great game. I think I don't play these games anymore as an adult as I've simply outgrown the genres and their style. 'Map and counter' games were fantastic, but we simply have other options now. Besides, if we never tried out any new games, none of us would be playing wings of war!

Do people keep their old games? I've still got my favourites on the shelf, but many of my Avalon Hill, GMT, and SSG games have come and gone over the years.

I have a closet full of these games. In High school my friends and I played alot. In addition to Panzer Blitz, Flat Top and midway, we played Hunt for Red October and red storm rising. All still in the closet.
    Last year I bought Compass games Silent War. I also enjoy playing civil war board games.
    Finding a foe is tough with the older games.

Most all my games are packed away in boxes in the garage. Some titles I have that have not yet not yet mentioned: Waterloo, Outdoor Survival, Panzer Leader, Blitzkrieg, France 1940, Battle of the Bulge. But the cherished few (Richard Berg's Great Battles of the ACW Series, Terrible Swift Sword, Gleam of Bayonettes, Bloody April, First Blood, etc). still occupy a place of honor on the bottom shelf of my bookcase in my office. Ah, there is nothing like a bayonnet charge through a wheatfield.

I have Airforce, Tac-Air, ASL and a bunch of others, but they are stored in the garage like many others seem to be. Everyone wants to play quick & simple games these days.

Gone are the days when I used to spend almost a day setting up the terrain for a 1/300 brigade level wargame and then spend a day or more playing it. Turns taking ages while obscure rules aere looked up and debated. In fact the after game discussions were often the best part and went on for days/weeks.........

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc206 View Post
    Gone are the days when I used to spend almost a day setting up the terrain for a 1/300 brigade level wargame and then spend a day or more playing it. Turns taking ages while obscure rules aere looked up and debated. In fact the after game discussions were often the best part and went on for days/weeks.........
    Strange the way life goes. Having not been able to do large scale games since the school wargames club folded nearly fifteen years ago, I now find in retirement at last the time to put on the large games again, and along comes a game that requires no time to arrange and very little space needed to play.
    Rob.

I still got a load of SPI board games
    All the GBACW, Wellingtons Victory, Highway to the Reich, Drive on Stalingrad, Battle over Britain. All the Clash of Arms Napoleonic games.
    As for playing naaa my lads take one look and go, moving paer how does it explode ( sigh)
    Just getting the eldest interested in WOW (hurrah)
    Chris

Similar Missions

1. 44 Pilots registered - 4 days left
    By HendersonDayton in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-22-2010, 06:14