Ares Games

Thread: Wings of War and Glory - Chapter 4: Young Hawks

Default Wings of War and Glory - Chapter 4: Young Hawks

September 17, 1915

I've been doing this for weeks, now. Instead of being in the front lines fighting among the rest of the squadron, I'm chaperoning new pilots. "You'll take care of them and they will only join real combat missions when you decide that they're ready", said Oberleutnant Schultz, limping beside me, his wound still fresh from his last mission. He looked at my less than happy face. "Must I remind you that a few months ago, I've done the very same for you, Leutnant Joachim Lisbon?!" I smiled a little. How could I have forgotten that? "Nein, Oberleutnant Schultz, your teaching was priceless, but Leutnants Anselm, Otto and Rüdiger will take the weight of all the missions..." He nodded. "Indeed they will, for some time, so, the fastest you transform these clumsy chickens into young hawks the better." And he laughed. And I had to laugh with him.

For a moment, I remembered again our little talk. I looked back and my young hawks were following me in a perfect formation. Very soon now I would start making combat patrols with each one of them, to let them test their skills in real combat situations. Thorsten, Tobias and Tammo.

Then, as we were almost at our aerodrome four Saulniers appeared from nowhere. I signaled my squadron, pointing at the planes that were coming.

And of course the stupid chickens thought that I was giving them the sigh to attack and immediately turned to face the French squadron. This was going to be a massacre...

I went for a reverse while my young students moved to face the enemy face to face. They were brave, that's for sure.

The French fired and scored several hits easily since Thorsten, Tobias and Tammo weren't that good at dodging... But they did fire back without fear.

And to my surprise, one of the French planes burst into flames.

Then, as I was closing in, they all crossed each others paths. I had to even the odds quickly or this would be a massacre.

The burning French glued himself to Thorsten, while Tobias and Tammo maintained their formation. I was starting to be impressed with the coolness of my little birds.

Thorsten took some damage from the French plane that even burning poured some bullets into the Eindecker.

The leader of the French squadron fired at me, from long range and missed. I saw him standing up in the cockpit trying to unjam his weapon. I was being lucky once again.

I fired back, making some minor damage to his mount.

And then the French made a terrible mistake. In front of me, both Saulniers made a reverse to face Tobias and Tammo.

The other Frenchman fired against me and the damage jammed my controls. I tried to maintain a steady and straight flight.

One of the Saulniers that previously reversed fired a long range burst against Tammo and his rookie's maneuver cost him some damage.

Thorsten fired a heavy burst that shook the French plane all over. My young hawk was starting to show his talons.

I was able to hit the French Squadron leader again, while still fighting with my jammed rudder.

The French were at a worst position than we were and if I could maintain them unbalanced I would be able to escape with my men.

But they kept shooting and evasion wasn't yet something natural to my young hawks. Tobias looked scared when his rudder took a hit.

Thorsten fired again and again he set a French plane on fire. This boy is a magician I said aloud and laughed.

And to my surprise I also set ablaze the French squadron leader. We were being very lucky. And observing them, I could almost see my young hawks losing their fears and becoming combat pilots.

Suddenly there were two French burning in the sky. Time to leave I said to myself. But how?

And I fired again against their leader, adding to the fire that was consuming his plane.

And suddenly he went down spiraling. Oh lucky strike. My hands were shaking with the effort of keeping my plane steady and the realization of the sheer luck we were having.

I felt the confidence of the Frenchmen eroding while my men were starting to gain the instinct that only combat delivers.

Tammo fired a perfect shot that hit the burning Saulnier's engine.

Thorsten and I made a reverse while the remaining Frenchman returned to the fray.

My young pupils were already engaging in hand signs between them. If we pulled out of this one, they would be ready for combat duty. I smiled and then...

...I took a heavy pounding from an avenging Frenchman. I wasn't taking enough attention. If I wanted to help them, I would have to be more careful.

By now Thorsten was flying like a veteran. I put my eyes on the Frenchman that had just hit me.

Thorsten fired once again. Calibrating his aiming.

And suddenly I felt that we could do this. That we could actually win.

The Frenchman fired desperately at Thorsten. His plane was badly mauled.

Thorsten fired back. A terrible punch that broke the Saulnier left wing, ripping it apart from the fuselage.

And we all saw him fall divided between feeling proud of this rookie's deed and pained in our collective brotherhood of pilots.

At the same time Tobias fired a burst that must have wounded one of the remaining Frenchmen because from then on his flight became erratic and he tried to escape.

I changed my target to the Saulnier that was trying to put himself behind my men.

Tobias and Tammo kept firing at the wounded French that was trying to escape. Quit it and return I shouted inside my head.

Thorsten made a reverse and I could almost know his thoughts as he moved in to protect his comrades from the approaching Saulnier. I've closed in to help him.

Tobias fired again, but this Frenchman was stout and kept flying his wounded plane.

And suddenly we were flying like a squadron.

The Frenchman fired at me...

Thorsten fired at the French...

Tobias and Tammo fired at the wounded French, failing and letting him escape...

Four to one now and I had a hawk with me.

Thorsten fired again hitting the French in his plane's tail.

I made a reverse, wondering if Thorsten would get his second kill in his first combat. Tammo was turning away trying to unjam his machine gun. Tobias was closing in.

We both fire at the French plane doing little damage.

The Frenchman was trying desperately to escape.

Thorsten was very close but failed to connect with the enemy. I aimed carefully...

And I broke his plane in two...

We saw him fall and I gave them the sign to form on me.

We went back to the aerodrome. I was able now to inform Oberleutnant Schultz that they were ready. My sixth and seventh kill were made in the company of hawks...

Scenario Briefing:

I was aching to play a scenario from the 'Final Months' OTT Campaign. But I also wanted to further my solo campaign and use new solo rules for the advanced Solo Charts. So I've played this scenario:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...the-God-of-War

And I added these rules:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ed-Solo-Charts

These rules worked pretty well, maintaining every AI plane (seven at some point) in the middle of the conflict.
    Last edited by Blackronin; 03-23-2016 at 11:33. Reason: Tiding it up.

LOOP

Another great encounter Quim.
    I missed all of this last year. I'm glad you did your "tiding up"

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post
    Another great encounter Quim.
    I missed all of this last year. I'm glad you did your "tiding up"
    Thanks again, Per-Gunnar!
    I'll update all of them to the 12th Chapter before I upload the 13th.

Similar Missions

1. Wings of War and Glory - Chapter 3: Hide & Seek
    By Blackronin in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-23-2016, 09:42
  2. Wings of War and Glory - Chapter 2: Hubris
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-23-2016, 09:10
  3. Wings of War and Glory - Chapter 1: First Blood
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-23-2016, 08:16
  4. WGF & WGS: Mixing Wings of Glory coastal mat with the Sails of Glory mat.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-27-2013, 09:27
  5. Svět deskových her - hraní Wings of Glory (Wings of War)
    By Ladinek in forum Czechoslovak Wing
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-04-2013, 11:51