Ares Games

Thread: New Recruit from Cancon 2014

Iron Outlaw

Default New Recruit from Cancon 2014

Sehr Geehrt Kameraden!

I have joined the WoW site on behalf of my grand son Alexander who seems to prefer to fly British. I will pester my sone to subscribe as well so that he can keep Alex up to date.

I have listed myself as a flyer, "für Kaiser und Vaterland," so will need to get myself a couple of German planes for my visits to Canberra.

Alex is just about to turn 9 and he isn't permitted to do the blog thing yet. I have ordered a set of WoW for him for his birthday next month so he and his dad can get lots of practice in before Cancon 2015.

The family lives about 800km from me so there will not be much opportunity for me to train with him. But, from henceforth and forever, birthday and Christmas presents are now easily sorted. More planes!!!

I did, however, puchase a copy of Sails of Glory for myself. Despite being an ex tankie, I feel much more comfortable gaming at sea.

I am figuring my way around the site so that I can post some pics of the Cancon 2014 battles.

Take care and keep well Kameraden!

Mit kameradschaftliche Grüßen,

"Eisenverbrecher"
    (Iron Outlaw) aka Brad

Howdy from Kansas, Brad (and family). It's great that you can start your grandson in this great hobby. Happy sailing!

Quote Originally Posted by somaliavet View Post
    It's great that you can start your grandson in this great hobby.
    +1

welcome to the Drome from the Midwest!

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Brad and Alexander, from here near Norwich in the United Kingdom. I wish you every success in getting Alexander's father interested.

Welcome Brad!

Although I didn't actually get down to Cancon this year it was great to see the reports from each day.

All the best up in the air and at sea!

Cheers,

Pip.

Welcome to the Drome Brad, great work getting kids involved, they are the future

There is a parallel website for Sails of Glory, Brad. It is called The Anchorage. You will find it at http://www.sailsofglory.org

Welcome from the land of perpetual snow storms, Illinois, Brad.

We're building a new little community of players comprised of a lot of 12-13 year olds, and a few adults. It is a great experience seeing young ones enjoying gaming!

On behalf of the Squadrons based here in Dear old Blighty welcome to the Drome Brad. There are a lot of very knowledgeable chaps in the Australian Squadrons who I'm sure will lead you astray down at the Officers club.
    Do pop in for a few cold ones and a chin wag with the lads.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Welcome to the aerodrome Brad & family

Welcome Brad to you and yours, from Bristol UK

Hello Brad and Alex - welcome to the 'drome from the UK

Iron Outlaw

Sehr Geehrt Kameraden!

Many thanks to all who posted replies. I have passed them on to my son, Ashley, so hopefully he will see them soon and pass them on to Alexander.

Thank you David for the info on the Anchorage site.

I should point out to those from Blighty that I am an ex-patriate POME living in Oz since coming here in '49 when I was 3. Last back there in 2003.

Looking forward to some interesting times ahead on the blog.

Take care and keep well!

Mit kameradeschaftlichen Grüßen

"Eisenverbrecher"
    (Iron Outlaw) aka Brad

Thumbs up

G'day Brad & may I officially welcome you on behalf of the Pilots who fly in NSW!

I know you (& Alexander!) enjoyed yourselves seeing you came back for a second day.

So sorry you decided to fly for the wrong side.
    However we always need new Targets.
    Seriously if you need any info or help just ask or drop me a Personal Message.

Give my best to Alex!

Exclamation

Just so everybody can see what Brad & Alex look like here is a pic of them at Cancon!

Name:  CCD1 J.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  172.6 KB

As I told Alex... I'd rather have him as my wingman than on the opposing side. I meant it too, he's already very good, and likely to get even better with experience.
    Do NOT underestimate him. He has a talent for tactics. The only way I was able to deal with him was by predicting what the optimal move for him would be, and then assuming he'd do that. Once he learns not to be quite so predictable, and realises that a good opponent will predict what he'll do unless he varies things a bit.... I hope he's on my side.

In some ways, fighting a lesser opponent is harder, as they don't always do the best move. He does - but needs to think about setting traps for anyone who relies on him doing the best move in all circumstances. He has both the intelligence and instinctive visio-spatial relationship perception to do it. Once he masters that, he'll be as good as the very best, and is way above average already.

A man to look out for in future.

Iron Outlaw

Great pic Barry, many thanks. Im still figuring things out about uploading pics around this site. It does take me a while.

Cheers

Brad

Iron Outlaw

Alexander's first crash!Name:  Curse you Red Baron.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  130.7 KB

Hope this worked!

Cheers

Brad

Thumbs up

Thats a great Pic Brad! Love the Flames.

Mate you need to pick yourself an Avatar.
    If you go up to your Name & Profile at the very top of the Forum click on "Notifications" & there are a series of boxes down the LHS & one will have "Edit Avatar".
    That will take you to a selection of Allied & Central powers Aircraft.
    Just pick one you like & click to save.
    Last edited by gully_raker; 02-08-2014 at 19:28.

Iron Outlaw

Clicked "Notifications: 8" and got a drop down menu with 3 options, 4 Unread Private Messages, 2 Reputation Comments and 2 Incoming Wingman Requests.

What thinkest thou?

Iron Outlaw

Found what you referred to under Profile but nothing about Avatars.

Iron Outlaw

Here's another one.Name:  Für Kaiser und Vaterland.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  148.0 KB

Welcome, Brad, from the eastern US! Love the fire, and a great smile on Alex's face!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Outlaw View Post
    Try the "settings" button between "My Profile" and ""Log Out"
    You should then see an "Edit Avatar" button on the left, with other edit options.

Try the "settings" button between "My Profile" and ""Log Out"
    You should then see an "Edit Avatar" button on the left, with other edit options.

Alexander's first crash!Name:  Curse you Red Baron.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  130.7 KB

Hope this worked!

Cheers

Brad
    You can tell Alexander that he has just joined a club in very esteemed company. This is the way I always get my toast done.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thumbs up

Clicked "Notifications: 8" and got a drop down menu with 3 options, 4 Unread Private Messages, 2 Reputation Comments and 2 Incoming Wingman Requests.

What thinkest thou?
    Ahhh Thats interesting as my one shows up under Notification however I see you now have an Avatar.
    Dont forget to click on Accept to become a wingman. One is from me & the other could be from Zoe (?).

Similar Missions

1. Cancon 2014
    By Zoe Brain in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 05-28-2014, 16:24
  2. New recruit
    By Doc R in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-10-2013, 09:38
  3. New Recruit
    By Whiskysierra in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 15