Ares Games
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Fire in the Skies: Officers Mess

Ähmmm...

What traffic?

I'm really late with my Pearl Harbour mission, but solved the 2 intro and 3 starting BoB missions.

Seems that everyone is busy at the moment.

I should send Blackronin a PM when we'll get next mission.
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

In research today's daily event, I came across this article on transporting planes to Malta - http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNe...-to-Malta.aspx

Excellent information about Malta, Eric.
    Rob will be pleased.

Rob is exceedingly pleased.
    Thanks Eric.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thumbs up

That is outstanding 'quim! What great images.

Great background music as well. Sounds Russian to me.

Very emotive pictures Joaquim.
    i expect Neil will just love those.
    Rob.

Superb, just what I needed to brighten up my day. Great find Joaquim.
    See you on the Dark Side......

You're most welcome, Neil! I had you in my mind when I found this video. Glad to please you!
    Thanks, Rob.

My PTO Hose Rules

After the first mission I decided that something must be made to achieve the true feeling of Eastern early war combat.
    All accounts point to a drastic difference in performance between the Zero and Ki-43 and the allied fighters. We can't feel that difference between C deck and the other decks.
    Also, even knowing that the Ki-43 was brutally under-armed, the truth is, a vast number of allied fighters and bombers fell under the guns of this fighter.
    And finally the 16 damage the zero has comparing with the 17 and 18 damage points of the American fighters doesn't really shows how much more fragile the Japanese fighters were in the initial stages of the war.

In order to offset this and without wanting to change the spirit of the game or making it more complex I devised the following house rules that I'll use in my Solo PTO Campaign:

1. The C+ deck - I add 1 left and 1 right 90ŗ turn card from the L deck. The ki-43 Hayabusa and the A6M2 Zero will use the C+ decl instead of the C deck.
    2. No self sealing fuel tanks - The early versions of the Japanese planes didn't have self sealing fuel tanks. A damage chit of smoke becomes automatically a fire chit.
    3. No cockpit protection armor - When a Japanese plane takes a pilot wounded damage take another yellow damage chit. If a special damage (any) appears in the chit, the pilot is mortally wounded and the plane crashes. If not, it's a normal wounded damage and a second one will kill the pilot as per normal rules.
    4. Angling Shots - All shots that don't enter the enemy plane in its rear arc and front arc are always long range shots;
    All close range shots that enter the enemy's plane rear arc at close range add an A damage chit;
    All close range shots that enter the enemy's plane frontal arc suffer reduction. All B, C and D chits become A chits instead.
    These rules adds to the extra A damage chit for continuous fire (i.e. firing against the same enemy plane for consecutive turns).
    Example: A ki-43 is firing for the second consecutive time against a P-40 in the P-40 rear arc at close range. It would make AAB damage.
    Last edited by Blackronin; 06-22-2014 at 07:13. Reason: Small changes on home rules.

Smile

Interesting thoughts 'quim!

I have reduced the A2 Zero to 12 Damage as per Zoe's recommendation but have not given the Ki-43 much thought as my PTO AAR was the first time I used it.
    I might add it took down one of my P-40's with its first exchange thanks to the Boom Card!

Thanks, Barry.
    I wouldn't go as far as changing its 16 damage points to 12, since it would unbalance the system. I prefer to work with the special damage. But I can tell you that the 90ŗ turn gives the Zero a completely different feel.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Thanks, Barry.
    I wouldn't go as far as changing its 16 damage points to 12, since it would unbalance the system. I prefer to work with the special damage. But I can tell you that the 90ŗ turn gives the Zero a completely different feel.
    Yes Zoe suggested adding that & thinks Angellio will get Ares to include a 90 turn when they reprint the A2.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Yes Zoe suggested adding that & thinks Angellio will get Ares to include a 90 turn when they reprint the A2.
    That would be awesome!

I've changed somewhat the house rules for the Angling Shots:

4. Angling Shots - All shots that don't enter the enemy plane in its rear arc and front arc are always long range shots;
    All close range shots that enter the enemy's plane rear arc at close range add an A damage chit;
    All close range shots that enter the enemy's plane frontal arc suffer reduction. All B, C and D chits become A chits instead.
    These rules adds to the extra A damage chit for continuous fire (i.e. firing against the same enemy plane for consecutive turns).
    Example: A ki-43 is firing for the second consecutive time against a P-40 in the P-40 rear arc at close range. It would make AAB damage.

Damn, now all I need is 9 90 degree turn cards, or 18 if both ways, for my 9 zero's!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Damn, now all I need is 9 90 degree turn cards, or 18 if both ways, for my 9 zero's!
    I have 8 zero's, so I scanned 8 left and right 90ŗ turns. I scanned 1 complete c deck with 2 extra back sides. I used 1 original c deck, gluing the 90ŗ turns in the front side, having now 7 c+ decks with 20 cards each and then I made from scratch a new c+ deck.

I have now the c decks that came with the Hurricanes (6) and the C+ decks that came with the Zeroes (8).

Which deck did you take the 90 turn from, I have been using the WW1 D Deck from the DR1.

I prefer the WW2 L deck. (Gladiators)

Ah, never thought of that deck. Will give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    I have 8 zero's, so I scanned 8 left and right 90ŗ turns. I scanned 1 complete c deck with 2 extra back sides. I used 1 original c deck, gluing the 90ŗ turns in the front side, having now 7 c+ decks with 20 cards each and then I made from scratch a new c+ deck.

I have now the c decks that came with the Hurricanes (6) and the C+ decks that came with the Zeroes (8).

Quim any chance of you posting the cards in the files?

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

What is or where is the next BRF for the BoB campaign?

That'll be: Battle of Britain Scenario 2: Operation Dynamo - “That inferno on May 23 was Boulogne” by Skafloc, posted in the ETO campaign sticky Paul, you'll have to search for the BRF thread !

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks Dave .Will get on it

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Quim any chance of you posting the cards in the files?
    Dear Friend, I really didn't create any file. I just used the 90ŗ turns from the L deck and printed a direct scan of them. I glued them in a C deck and then I scanned an entire C deck (back and front) to replace the C deck that I scavenged.

Some Stats from the campaigns so far:

ETO
    AXIS: KILLS = 12: losses = 27
    ALLIES: KILLS = 24: LOSSES = 20

PTO
    JAPANESE: SHIPS SUNK = 2: KILLS = 6: LOSSES = 7 Ships Lost = 0
    ALLIES: SHIPS SUNK = 0: KILLS = 4: LOSSES = 6 Ships Lost = 2

(PTO stats are slightly off as Sven has brought forward some 20.5 kills from the Midway campaign which are not included yet)

Overall:
    Axis: Kills = 18; Losses = 34; Ships Lost/Sunk = 0
    Allies: Kills = 28; Losses = 26; Ships Lost/Sunk = 4
    Last edited by Lt. S.Kafloc; 07-05-2014 at 09:27.

Just finished a great book Last of the Few by Max Arthur. Personal accounts of the BoB from both RAF and German pilots. Well worth a read to get a glimpse of what the planes were capable of , and the pilots that flew them. highly recommend.

Just bought it. Waiting for it. Thanks!

You will not be disappointed Joaquim. I have another suggestion for BoB. Battle of Britain By Patrick Bishop. More a historical week by week account of the event so good for scenarios etc.

Thanks, Paul. But for this month, wallet is closed...
    Two much money spent on the computer. Dah!

I'm sure there is a birthday/ please be nice to me day sometime in the future. :

Oh yes nice prompt to remind swmbo to buy me a book!

Just bought the kindle edition. Couldn't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    You will not be disappointed Joaquim. I have another suggestion for BoB. Battle of Britain By Patrick Bishop. More a historical week by week account of the event so good for scenarios etc.

I'll have to wait for August paycheck... My birthday is in February...

I'm afraid I'm in the same boat Joaquim. I have just overspent for this month by having to get a new pair of specs, and a hanger for my Sunderlands and Blohm and Voss.
    Rob.

We'll have to sit and wait, then...

ETO Campaign:
    Just so we know where we are supposed to be campaign wise. This month should be BoB Mission 3 month.

TOTAL PLAYERS 10:

FRANCE:
    April: Scenario Trial 1: Push for the Channel Ports (Players completed 2 + 1 Malta variant + 1 Norway variant)
    May: Scenario Trial 2: First Offensive Air Operations (Players completed 1 + 3 Malta variant)

DUNKIRK:
    June: Battle of Britain Scenario 1: He who runs away lives to........ (Players completed 5+1 Malta Variant)
    July: Battle of Britain Scenario 2: Operation Dynamo - “That inferno on May 23 was Boulogne” (Players completed 2)
    August:Battle of Britain Scenario 3: Operation Dynamo - “German advance halted” (Players completed 0)

KANALKAMPF:
    September: fast.git
    Last edited by Lt. S.Kafloc; 08-06-2014 at 13:12.

PTO Campaign:
    Just so we know where we are supposed to be campaign wise. This month should be FIS PTO Mission 2 month.

TOTAL PLAYERS 11:

May: Axis (Pacific Theater Operations) pre-campaign scenario December 1942 Attack Allied Airfield (Players completed 2, only showing 1)
    June: Axis (Pacific Theater Operations) pre-campaign scenario 05. January 1942 Attack Japanese Airfield (Players completed 3, only showing 2)
    July: FIS PTO 1 - Waking the Sleeping Giant! - 7th December 1941 (Players completed 3)
    August: FIS PTO 2 - To Even the Odds - January 1942 (Players completed 2)
    September: PTO mission 3 - Introducing the Commonwealth air forces (Players completed 1)
    GENERIC ANYTIME: Combat Air Patrol (Players completed 0)
    October: Gully Raker (Barry) Apr 1942

Nov: Dec: Jan: Coral Sea

I'll crack on with Malta on Sunday Neil.
    Rob.

Neil, I will try to play scenario 2 tomorrow night, if all goes well.

Carlos...

No rush to play these missions, it was just a heads up for who's next to put up a scenario, how many have played each one. (OK and a little push to motivate you to play some awesome scenarios).

Thumbs up

No rush to play these missions, it was just a heads up for who's next to put up a scenario, how many have played each one. (OK and a little push to motivate you to play some awesome scenarios).
    Very sound advice sir! The WAR waits for no one!

This weekend I'll play at least one scenario for sure.

Great Quim, I'm doing one on Sunday. Look out for something you will recognize.
    Rob.

OOh, Goodo, Malta here we come!

OOh, Goodo, Malta here we come!
    See you in the Med then Neil.
    Kyte.

Hi comrades, seems I'll grab my chance to solve the 4 Pacific missions (and a SOG mission) in the first September week.

I think you already have!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    See you in the Med then Neil.
    Kyte.

Do we have news on the Battle of Britain mission front?

Just posted a AAR but looking for the next Scenario Brief.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. What goes on in the mess, stays in the mess.......
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-23-2013, 02:34
  2. What the well-dressed officers wears...
    By Biggles downunder in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-07-2013, 07:36
  3. Source of supplies for the Officers Club Mess!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-27-2012, 15:30
  4. Last night at the Officers Club
    By crashx in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-02-2012, 12:31