Ares Games

Thread: Wings of War and Glory - Chapter 1: First Blood

Default Wings of War and Glory - Chapter 1: First Blood

July 12, 1915

The air was hot even in the beginning of the morning as there were no wind and the sun was already shining strong. The sky was electric blue and not one cloud dared to draw white into the landscape. "Let's go", said Oberleutnant Schultz, "today we'll hunt the front lines." I smiled but I was scared. For two weeks Oberleutnant Schultz tutored me into following him and in getting the best position in a dogfight, but this was the first time he told me we would go in a real mission. We took to the air in our kites and I felt very exposed and anxious. "We might not find a thing", he said, but in my guts I knew it to be different.

We saw them below us, in a large green field - French grassland - moving parallel with the front lines. Three single seat Morane Saulniers. Oberleutnant Schultz made me the sign that we would attack and I followed each of his moves like a good wingman that I wanted to be.

When we were almost over them they saw us. At least two of them. The leader seem to be unaware of us. Although by the way he moved I felt the contrary. We kept our formation. Oberleutnant Schultz keeping his eyes on them and I keeping my eyes on Oberleutnant Schultz.

I almost smiled - if I wasn't so afraid to do more than grab my commands - when their leader made an immelmann turn and faced us. Oberleutnant Schultz pointed his plane at the second one and I heard the dry and soft sound of two machine guns firing at each other.

They both hit each other, but to my horror I saw the green canvas from Oberleutnant Schultz right wing being ripped away. But I had no more time to think about as the little wasps closed the distance between us.

The French turned left as they passed us, but their leader was moving into Oberleutnant Schultz direction. It was futile to try to warn him, so I kept in mind the lessons he taught me.

As the two other Frenchmen turned right to face us, both leaders fired at each other. I tried to keep formation with Oberleutnant Schultz, but the planes that were trying to encircle us were getting into my nerves...

The French leader fired first damaging Oberleutnant Schultz plane and a stream of black smoke start pouring from his plane.

Not only my leader seemed to fail his aim as his weapon suddenly went silent. But my luck wasn't much better.

I fired against one of the Frenchmen doing less than desirable damage and my weapons jammed on me. I felt despair and panic growing up.

I decided that I couldn't keep following Oberleutnant Schultz. I should press the French to give him time to escape or fight them.

My wing leader made a perfect immelmann and closed on us. But as I was desperately trying to unjam my weapons, the French leader had more than time to aim against me.

I felt his bullets sear my plane and hitting the engine. It sputter. Twice. But kept running. I kept turning, trying to escape him.

The other two French finished their immelmanns perfectly and I found myself in the middle of them. A sitting duck if one care to think of it. But my wing leader was already behind their leader. I felt a click and my weapon was clear of the jammed ammunition.

Two of them fired against me but only the leader hit. Again. But behind him, Oberleutnant Schultz was in an excellent position to deliver him a good punch.

I for myself fired a long burst and did some damage against one of my assailants.

Oberleutnant Schultz fired from far but his aim was good and a tongue of fire erupted from the leader's Saulnier.

I was able to see him trying to burn away the fire as it ate through his plane. Now we were in a better position. In front of me, the French pilot was trying to unjam his weapon.

As I watched him - half raised - desperately trying to unjam his weapon Oberleutnant Schultz fired a mighty blow that severed his plane in half, and the kite fell burning to the ground.

We've crossed each other paths and he saluted me, but I was too scared and in awe to raise my hand. We were now even with the French and we should press the attack.

He kept firing against the burning French leader who maintained his plane flying despite the huge damage it already suffered.

I speed up my plane in order to make an immelmann, while the other French turned to face us. Both leader were moving to each other.

Oberleutnant Schultz fired again and hit the enemy pilot.

I finally turned and saw them cross each other paths again, the French pilot half hidden in his canopy.

He fired against me - half-hearted - and missed by far. I fired back.

I fired a short burst. It connected with him. And I saw him losing control of the Saulnier and falling down to the ground.

The last French looked scared. In less than nothing found himself alone against two enemies. "Run away, run away", I spoke softly, but I turned my machine against him.

He entered our circle. He should have turned away. Damaged as we were we wouldn't give him chase. But he didn't. And I was learning fast where to shoot.

I shot it from afar. I hit his middle section and he cracked open. He fell, his wings losing it's grip with the air.

I kept watching as he hit the ground and broke into two.

We've joint formation again and went home. Oberleutnant Schultz raised his two middle fingers and smiled. My two first kills in a row... I don't know why I was feeling sick of the stomach...
    Last edited by Blackronin; 03-23-2016 at 08:15. Reason: Typos.

Similar Missions

1. WGF & WGS: Mixing Wings of Glory coastal mat with the Sails of Glory mat.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-27-2013, 09:27
  2. Compra de Wings of War e Wings of Glory
    By Nick_ace in forum Brazilian Wing
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-05-2013, 13:44
  3. Svět deskových her - hraní Wings of Glory (Wings of War)
    By Ladinek in forum Czechoslovak Wing
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-04-2013, 11:51
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-02-2013, 12:53
  5. How do you take your 'Wings of Glory'?
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Polls
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 07-25-2012, 10:54