Ares Games

Thread: Mini Campaign: The Spring Offensive

Default Mini Campaign: The Spring Offensive

Hello!

I am new to the forum and Wings of Glory, but as soon as I got my first sets of minis I started looking for solo campaigns. I was impressed by the amount of work put in each one, but in particular I really enjoyed playing through the first Over The Trenches campaign. Having scripted missions was much more fun to me than the roll a dice to determine the mission, roll a dice to determine the opposition, random missions.

I decided that I'd try writing some missions or creating my own “mini campaign”. I'm here to post my first attempt at a “mini campaign”. If they prove enjoyable for all, I may post more as I write more – or anyone else can for that matter. The general rules will be in this post and the following post will contain the missions.

The idea for the mini campaign is a set of 10 scripted missions. Preferably the campaign will follow one unit during a set period of time (1-2 months) or during one offensive of the war. It would be great if the missions could be based on some real dog fights as well – Voss v 6 SE5as? Or Fonck getting 6 kills in one day? There is a set scoring system that will allow you to post your results and compare to others based on points. The ultimate idea on this system is to keep it simple and fun. Add as much of the RPG elements as you wish (promotions, medals, etc.)

Have fun and post some AARs! Tell me what you think!

General Mini Campaign Rules

The following are the only “mandatory” rules, other as provided for by the scripted mission. In order to ensure fairness in scoring, these rules are critical. If you've played OTT these rules will seem very familiar, yet simplified – the idea is to get more flying time and have fun!

1.Each mini campaign will consist of 10 missions. Each player will create his flight (4 Pilots) and will track their progress through the campaign. If a pilot is killed, you can create a replacement. Track both your pilots and your squadron's points over the campaign.
    2.Use the Updated Solo Rules from the Over The Trenches Campaign.
    3.Enemy aircraft will engage until within 3 points of destruction or 5 points of destruction, then will turn and head to their respective lines. Enemy aircraft on a ground attack or observation mission will pursue their objective until within 3 points of destruction or 5 points of destruction if on fire.
    4.If a pilot is shot down or draws an explosion card, roll a 1d6. If 1-2 your pilot is KIA, if 3-5 WIA and unable to fly the next mission, if 6 your pilot survived the crash unharmed.
    5.Scoring. This is important if you want to see how you stack up against other pilots and their campaigns. At the end of a mission you will tally 2 scores: one for each pilot (pilot points); and one for the squadron's points.
    Pilot Points are as follows: +4 Points for each enemy aircraft shot down; +1 Point for each mission survived with little damage (damage less than 10 points); 0 points for survival with heavy damage (10 points or more of damage); -2 Points for being shot down.

Squadron Points are as follows: +4 points for a Mission Victory; +1 Point for each enemy aircraft downed; -1 Point for each Allied plane lost; -2 for Mission Failure.

Example: Mission is a 2 v 2 dogfight. Allied Pilot 1 shoots down 1 enemy aircraft and sustains 11 damage points. Allied Pilot 2 is shot down. Enemy aircraft 1 is shot down, Enemy aircraft 2 returns to base. Allies win.
    Score as follows: Allied Pilot 1 scores 4 points for 1 plane shot down, Scores 0 Points for surviving the mission but having over 10 points damage. Allied Pilot Scores -2 Points for being shot down and will roll a 1d6 to determine his fate. The Squadron scores 4 points for a mission victory, 1 point for an enemy shot down, and -1 point for losing 1 plane.

Optional Rules
    Altitude Rules are optional. C Deck collisions are optional. Ace abilities are optional, but encouraged! See Ace Abilities from OTT. Clouds are optional, but also encouraged!

Optional Ranks and Medals
    These are optional but give the game a bit more of an RPG elements. These are based on Pilot Points.
    Ranks
    Sub Flt. Lt. - Starting Rank
    Flt. Lt. - 20 Points
    Flt. Commander – 40 Points
    Squadron Commander – 70 Points

Medals
    Distinguished Service Cross – 3 Victories
    Distinguished Service Cross Bar – 5 Victories
    Distinguished Service Order – 10 Victories
    Distinguished Service Order Bar – 20 Victories

Mini Campaign 1: The Spring Offensive
    This campaign takes place during the Spring Offensive during late March 1918-April 1918. You fly as a member of 9N Squadron flying Sopwith Camels (or SE5a's if you wish – or if you don't have either, use what you got). Enemy aircraft should appropriate for this time Primarily: Alb. DVa's, Fokker Dr.1s, Maybe some Pfalz DIII or very limited SSW DIII's but use what you got! - Create your pilot and hope to survive the Kaiser's last push!

Mission 1 – One Stubborn Recon Plane
    Maj. McBride walked briskly up and down the line of eager pilots. He could tell they were new and eager to get into the fight. He just hoped he could keep them alive long and being their planes back in one piece. “We've noticed an increase in reconnaissance activity near the town of Albert and Roye. HQ doesn't suspect much, but wants us to put a dent in their efforts. A flight will be patrolling the area today. Get some experience... but please bring my planes back...”

Allies: 3 Scouts
    Enemy: 1 Two Seater, 2 Scouts
    The enemy aircraft must stay airborne for 10 turns over allied territory. After turn 10 all enemy planes head for their lines. If recon plane is shot down, enemy scouts retreat.

Setup: Enemy Starts at mid map- over no mans land. Allies start on their edge of the map.

Victory Conditions: Allied victory if recon plane is shot down.

Max Squadron Points: 7
    Max Pilot Points: 13

Mission 2 – Wakeup call
    Early morning, cold and damp. The Major sat slowly sipping his coffee. He heard the low hum of engines. Strange he thought – a bit early for a patrol? Maybe it was 73 Sqd? He got up and looked outside only to hear the air raid warning. He had barely started to yell to the pilots but they were already out the door...

Allies: 2 Scouts
    Enemy: 3 Scouts
    The allied planes start parked at the aerodrome. To get airborne you must play three stalls, during which you cannot shoot.
    The Enemy Scouts start 1 ruler away from the parked planes. Each enemy aircraft will fire twice at the planes on the ground during turn 1 (So allies will take a total of 6 cards by end of turn 1). During turn 2 the enemy should have passed over the aerodrome and is starting to turn around for another pass.

You have a choice to make: Run to your plane during turn 1 or wait till turn 2. If you run during turn 1, play the three stalls during turn 1. You can fly as normal during turn 2. However if you run during turn 1 and draw a pilot wound damage card, or draw an engine damage during turn 1, you don't make it off the ground at all. If you wait till turn 2, your pilot is safe (ignore the pilot wound or engine damage), however you do not move during turn 1. During turn 2 you play 3 stalls without shootings, and during turn 3 you can fly as normal.

Setup: Allies start parked somewhere in the middle of the map. Enemy start 1 ruler away from the parked planes. You can turn the plane during the first stall move if needed (ie the planes start facing each other and then turn 90 Degrees to simulate taxiing to the runway – or just start on the runway)

Victory: Clear the skies of the enemy

Mission 3 – Big Guns
    Something big is coming the Major mumbled... First a stubborn recon plane then an airfield raid. Now the shelling has started...

Enemy: 2 2-seaters, 2 scouts

Place 3 trench cards on the allied side of the board. Each trench has 5 damage points. The enemy 2 seaters will attempt to fly over/near the target cards and direct artillery to those targets. After 2 consecutive moves where the enemy 2 seater is within 1 ruler of the target, the target is bracketed. On the 3rd consecutive move within 1 ruler of the target, and every consecutive move after that, roll a 1d6. 1-2 is a miss, 3-4 the artillery does 3 damage, 5 the artillery does 4 damage, and a roll of 6 destroys the target outright.

Setup: Enemies start on their side, allies on their side head to head. Trench cards on allied side.

Victory: Drive the 2 seaters away while keeping at least 1 trench target alive.

Max Squadron Points: 8
    Max Pilot Points: 17

Mission 4 – Cut Off
    “With the German offensive rolling over British lines, we've been assigned to help cover the retreat. There is a key bridge our units need to have intact or they will be hopelessly cut off. HQ says they need 1 hour to withdraw. Give them two!”

Allies: 3 Scouts
    Enemy 2 two seater fighter/bombers, 2 scouts

Place 1 bridge/target card on the allied side with 10 damage points. The allies start at one end, the enemy at the other both facing each other. The two seaters will fly towards the bridge at all costs. When they flying over the bridge they will play one stall card while over the target bridge card. While playing the stall card roll a 1d6. 1-2 = 1 point of damage; 3-4 = 3 points of damage; 5-6 = 4 points of damage. Each two seaters will try 2 passes at the bridge (one for each set of bombs). These bombing rules are more simplified version than the standard ones – if you prefer to use the standard ones, use those (maneuver, place maneuver card in front, and bomb in front of that).

The two seaters must destroy the bridge before the end of turn 10.

Setup:1 bridge/target card on the allied side with 10 damage points. The allies start at one end, the enemy at the other both facing each other.

Victory: The bridge survives through turn 10.

Mission 5 – Making a name
    Maj. McBride was not happy this morning. HQ wanted another patrol, but the squadron was already stretched thin. Someone was going to have to go it alone. The Major knew this was risky, but there wasn't time to muster a whole patrol. Maj. McBride grabbed his A flight leader and briefed him... “Just bring my plane back in one piece, and maybe I can put you in for something...”

Allies: 1 Scout
    Enemy: 4 Scouts
    Special Rules: Allies ignore all green jam cards.
    Victory: Survive the dog fight and shoot down 2 enemy. Victoria Cross Awarded if you can take out 3 and survive.

Mission 6 – Flying Circus
    “Good morning gentlemen. HQ in their infinite wisdom feels that we are tactically in the best position to retake the skies – despite my protests. Orders are Orders I suppose. Oh – and bring my planes back in one piece.”

Allies: 4 Scouts
    Enemy: 4 Aircraft – any combination of scouts and two seaters.

Victory: Last plane alive on the battle field wins the battle.

Mission 7 – The Trenches
    “Ah something different!” Maj. McBride pipped up. “HQ feels that we are so successful in the air that we can retake the ground! You'd think they'd give us some tanks. No, no, no – canvas works just as well.”

Allies: 1 Scout, 2 2-Seaters from a different squadron
    Enemy: 2 Scouts

Place Two trench targets on the enemy side. Each trench card has 5 points. The Allied 2 seaters objective is to destroy the trench cards. Each 2 seater has 2 bombs and can make two bombing runs each. To drop the bombs play a stall over the target. Roll a 1d6. 1-2= 1 damage points. 3-4 = 3 damage points. 5= 4 damage points. 6= target destroyed. You pilot the scout and have one bomb and can make one bomb run as well.

Setup: Allies begin on the allied side, one ruler from no man's land. Enemy scouts arrive on turn two from the German lines. Roll 1d6 to determine which side of the German map: 1-2 the right side; 3-4 the back side (the side opposite the allied side); 5-6 the left side.

Victory: Destroy both the trench targets.

Max Squadron Points: 6
    Max Pilot Points: 9

Mission 8 - A dubious claim
    “B flight will be up this morning with their rookies. I need a volunteer to check up on them...Ah, always the lone hunter!”

Allies: 2 Scouts – 1 from your squadron, 1 rookie from another squadron
    Enemy: 1 Scout (Preferably a Fokker Dr.1!)

Setup: The Allied Rookie starts on the far left side of your map, in no man’s land, heading into German territory. The Enemy Scout starts 1 ruler behind the rookie. Your scout starts on the far right side, on the allied side. You should be slightly behind the Dr.1 and at least 2.5 rulers to the right of the Dr. 1

Special Rules: The Enemy pilot is an Ace. When the Ace fires, discard any zeros drawn and draw another damage card. If the second card is also a zero, do not discard the second zero. The Enemy Ace ignores all jams. If fired upon by the rookie pilot, choose two cards and discard the higher one.
    After turn 6, (beginning of turn 7) the rookie pilot heads back to Allied Lines and the Enemy pilot pursues him. When the Enemy pilot crosses from no mans land into allied territory he is shot down automatically the next move.

Victory: Both Allied planes survive, regardless of the enemy ace’s status.

Extra Points: If You shoot down the enemy ace before he crosses into allied lines, add 2 points to the Squadron Score and count as a kill in both the squadron points and your pilot’s points. If you are within one ruler of the enemy ace when he crosses over into allied territory and is shot down, and the enemy ace has at least 8 damage points already, add 1 point to the Squadron Score and count the victory as a kill in both the squadron points and your pilot’s points. If you are not within one ruler, or the enemy ace has not sustained 8 damage points when he is shot down, then do not add any points to either the Squadron or Pilot Score, and do not count the victory as a kill.

Max Squadron Points: 5
    Max Pilot Points: 5

Mission 9 – Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold
    If both pilots survived mission 8, play mission 9A. If either allied pilot was downed in mission 8, play mission 9B.

Mission 9A

Maj. McBride carefully reviewed the reports. He was always careful on the victories submitted by the pilots, but this one was different. The Red Barron? He scanned the maps one more time, when out the window he saw as one of the planes slammed hard into the ground, bounced and turned on its nose while landing. Smoke poured from the engine and the pilot scrambled out. “Damnit! I haven't got the parts for this!”

Allies: 2 Scouts, 1 Normal Pilot that did not fly mission 8, and 1 new rookie pilot.
    Enemy: 3 Scouts, 1 of which is an Ace.

Setup: The Allies start in the middle of the map. 1d6 to determine enemy starting position. 1 – Head On; 2-3 – at the 3 o’clock position; 4-5 – at the 9 o’clock position; 6 – at the 6 o’clock position.

Special Rules: If fired upon by the rookie pilot, draw 2 cards and discard the higher damage. If within half a ruler, draw 3 and discard the highest one. If fired upon by the Enemy Ace, draw 2 cards and discard the lower one. If within half a ruler, draw 3 and discard the lowest.

Victory: Clear the skies. The Enemy will retreat if the Enemy ace is downed or if any two of the enemy are downed.

Mission 9B

Maj. McBride walked over to the young Lt. It'd be a while before he was back in the air, but he'd survive. While he was happy his pilot had returned, his plane had not. That was another headache... Just then the door bust open... “Don’t worry Lt. We’re going hunting today – we’ll get our revenge!” Before the Major could stop them they were out the door...

Enemy: 3 Scouts, all rookies.

Setup: Place the Enemy in the middle of the map. 1d6 to determine your starting position. 1 – Head On; 2-3 – at the 3 o’clock position; 4-5 – at the 9 o’clock position; 6 – at the 6 o’clock position.

Victory: Clear the skies. Enemy will retreat when 2 planes are shot down or if plane is within 5 of destruction.

Mission 10 – The Long Haul

This mission has 3 parts, and may take some time to play. Strap in!

The Major had a worried look on his face this morning. “HQ has a special errand for us. I'm sending you two up – you're the best I've got. Seems that some German General is on a tour of the front, supposed to report back to the Kaiser himself. HQ believes he'll be in charlie sector around 0830 this morning. Your mission is simple: hunt him down. Look, this mission is deep in enemy territory, if you're downed you may not be coming home. Turn back if you need it – I need you back here in one piece.”

Part 1
    Enemy: 3 Scouts

Setup: Allies begin 1 ruler from No Man's Land, heading toward the German lines. Enemy starts 1 and 1/2 Ruler from No Man's Land on the German Side heading parallel to the German Lines, and about 2 rulers to the right of the Allies. (So the Germans should be at the Allies 2 o'clock starting out. The allies should be at the Germans 10 o'clock starting out).

Part 1 Victory: Clear the skies. Enemy retreats if 2 planes are downed.

Damage sustained to allied planes during Part 1 will carry over to Part 2 and Part 3. Make a choice at this point to carry on with the mission or turn for home. This is the point of no return.

Part 2
    There is no turning back after this mission. If you retreat you still must play Part 3!
    Allies: Remaining Planes from Part 1
    Enemy: 1 Scout

Setup: Place enemy target card/tent card/car card on the opposite side of the board. Place two B deck AAMG each within 1 ruler radius of the target. The cards should be at opposite sides of the target card (one card at the 3 o'clock and one at the 9, or one card the 12 o'clock and one at the 6, etc.) One of the AAMG firing arcs should be faced towards the allied lines, and one should be covering the target.

The target card has 5 damage points. Strafe the target until destroyed.

Allies can retreat if needed, but still must play Part 3.

Enemy Scout will fight to the death and will not retreat.

Part 3
    Getting home

Allies: Remaining Planes along with any damage sustained in part 1 and part 2.
    Enemies: 2 rookie scouts.

Setup: Allies start on German lines, and must cross over no mans land and return to allied lines. Germans start head on at no mans land.

Special Rules: German Pilots are rookies, and will follow rookie rules as outlined in mission 9B. Additionally they will retreat when they are within 5 damage from being shot down.

Max Squadron Points: 18
    Max Pilot Points: 27
    Last edited by rkwright; 01-10-2014 at 19:28.

Sounds fun, some great ideas here. I'm itching to start a solo campaign myself. When I find(make) the time I'll give this a try.

Looks interesting Ryan - you may want to review your optional ranks and medals structure though. You have given the rank structure for the RNAS but as an option the RFC followed the army rank structure in WW1:

Starting Rank: 2nd Lieutenant
    20 Points: Lieutenant
    40 Points: Captain
    70 Points: Major

Medals:
    Military Cross (for officers) Military Medal (for Other Ranks) a third level award granted in recognition of "an act or acts of exemplary gallantry during active operations against the enemy on land..." Appropriate
    Distinguished Service Cross is awarded for "... gallantry during active operations against the enemy at sea" to naval officers & Warrant officers, the Distinguished Service Medal is for other naval ranks. They are equivalent to MC & MM - appropriate for RNAS pilots at sea
    Distinguished Flying Cross - & Distinguished Flying Medal are the same as the MC & MM but came into being after the formation of the RAF in 1918
    Distinguished Service Order - appropriate as a very high award for officers of all forces, Other ranks equivalent was the Distinguished Conduct Medal
    You could also consider a VC - Victoria Cross - the highest award for a signal act of valour (Like the US Medal of Honor) though usually posthumous & pretty rare.

There weren't many different medals dished out for gallantry - they tended to give you the same one again for which you had a bar placed on to your medals ribbon, so if you saw someone with MC and two bars he had won the medal 3 times !
    Suggest:
    MC for 5
    Bar to MC for 10
    DSO for 15
    Bar to DSO for 20
    VC if you think someone really deserves it for a very brave action (as a guide it's awarded for "... most conspicuous bravery, or some daring or pre-eminent act of valour or self-sacrifice, or extreme devotion to duty in the presence of the enemy.")

Good luck in your upcoming operations !

Nice set up, Ryan.
    But probably you should also give the possibility of playing for the Germans: Ranks, Medals, etc.

I really like the scenarios. You have kept the fluff to a good minimum. I am not a fan of too much fluff (i.e The blue sky over the drome, the twitter of birds, what the pilot had for breakfast, although the writers of more padded-out stories here on the drome are actually very, very good with content, story and style!!)
    The scenario choices are also good, although some are rather challenging for those wanting to survive a mission I think.. That big AI enemy in the sky. I will gladly use these to finish off my half-started second solo "campaign", which is being constructed. (The first campaign of 20 games has been stuck at 18 finished and two to go since late 2012. I spend much more time here than actually playing ) Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Blauer Baron View Post
    (...)
    The scenario choices are also good, although some are rather challenging for those wanting to survive a mission I think.. That big AI enemy in the sky. I will gladly use these to finish off my half-started second solo "campaign", which is being constructed. (The first campaign of 20 games has been stuck at 18 finished and two to go since late 2012. I spend much more time here than actually playing ) (...)
    We all do!! It's murder, I'll tell you!! Keith's the guilty one! He should be charged and condemn by making us addicts of plane-loving debates and other things!! He should be charged and condemn to... to... taking care of a large portion of bites and information and images for the rest of his entire live! I'll tell you!! Who's with me raise their right hand!

Keith's theme song should be "The Old Dope Peddler" by Tom Lehrer.

Listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNWvdtt5sxs

Some nice ideas there Ryan. But you might want to include the German side for a bit of balance. ie you could play either Allies or German, or why not both. Then compare missions against how the 'other' side did. But nice idea.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Thanks for the comments guys!
    Flash - I wrote the campaign with 9N Sqd in mind. Would military cross work for them? I noticed that Collinshaw was awarded a DSC and a DSO (as well a DFC) but that post dates my time frame. Advice on this?

I hear the comments about the German side. My idea of the mini campaign was just to play one unit for one set of time. I wanted to have some of the missions based loosely on real incidents - mission 5 loosely based on Barkers fight with the DVIIs, Mission 8 on Roy Brown, Mission 9 was based off a mission I read Black Fight went on after losing one of their own. I hope to write one based on Jasta 11 during April 1917 next. So yes! The German campaign will be coming but a different set.

I imagine that mission 5 and 10 will be challenging, but I've seen some of you guys tear them up in your AARs!

Quote Originally Posted by Zakopious View Post
    Keith's theme song should be "The Old Dope Peddler" by Tom Lehrer.

Listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNWvdtt5sxs

I like. Thanks for the work you put into this... I agree with those who've said so before... adding the option of playing the Germans, or perhaps making the campaign itself time and location-neutral, that way the player could choose date and theater of operations. For example... I know some of our flyers would love to trot out their Austrian and Italian kites!

I updated the OP to reflect what seems like the correct medals. I think for this campaign I'm going to keep it just RNAS. I don't mean to limit it away from the Germans, but I don't think the missions right off the bat are balanced enough to play as both sides (unless you just played the campaign as the Germans just for fun). I do like basing the missions somewhat on real missions - so I there will be probably be a Mini Campaign coming for Jasta 11, an early war French Campaign, and an austrian italian campaign. But back to this one! I flew Mission 1 tonight... My first AAR (sans pictures) here!

Mission 1 AAR

I forgot when I wrote the mission I only have 2 Camels right now (hopefully have more at the end of the month! budget!) so I flew 2 Camels vs 2 Alb. DVa's and my new Roland CII - thanks Keith! My Camel Pilots for the campaign are W. Cooper and T. Henry. I play with 2 A decks and 1 B deck.

During the first head on passes both Allied Pilots ended up taking damage but failing to score any damage on the Germans. Cooper ended up in good firing position behind the Roland, but pulled a jam card on the first chance. The Roland firing its rear gun began ripping Cooper's plane to bits. By the end of turn 2 Cooper had 8 points and a wounded pilot. The Roland had drawn 3 zeros and 1 1 damage card. Henry was following an DVa and scored a 5 hit with a couple of zeros. All the planes continued circling for a few turns, with no one able to get a clean shot. The Roland picked a point here and there. I thought the mission was going to be bust as the counter wore down. Cooper's Plane was up to 9 Points, Henry had 4 damage points, the Roland only had 3 damage points, one DVa was a little far out of the action and had 0 damage points, and the other was still sitting at 5. Then, at turn 6, luck seemed to change.

Somehow Cooper managed to pull a loop and end up on the Roland's 8 O'Clock within close range. Cooper fired and delivered a whopping 4 smoke and 5 damage to the Roland. Meanwhile the Roland's gun jammed. In the same move Henry went head on with DVa and scored another 5 with wound and a 2 while taking a 3 and 0 with jam in return. Planes Maneuvered to turn 7. At the beginning of Turn 7 I was hoping the Roland would turn right and Henry would be in close range. Cooper was moving cautiously left, to avoid taking too much damage. To my surprise (disappointment!) the dice dictated the Roland would fly left. But on Move 3 of turn 7 Cooper was once again in close firing distance of the Roland. The Roland drew double 4s! The Roland's rear gun missed as it went down. Meanwhile Henry got another shot on the DVa with 13 points and downed him with a 2 and 1 cards. Henry's plane took some major damage from the other DVa trying to rush to the action and put him at 12 points.

With two planes downed in turn 7, on turn 8 the last DVa turned to head home. I was almost positive he would make it - he only had 1 damage point the entire game. Henry's plane was torn to shreds and I didn't want to take a chance so I sent him back. Cooper was sitting at 9 points, and I really didn't want to engage much and risk anything. I resolved that I'd only make one pass at the fleeing DVa and then turn home. The AI played well, and I guessed wrong for turn 8 missing the DVa - but not by much. Breaking my own decision I decided to pursue to see if I could get a shot in turn 9. I managed to make a right turn that put me in half range, and Bam! I pulled the explosion card on the DVa!

Cooper: 9 points (survived)
    Henry : 4 points (damage over 10)
    Mission Points: 7

A little luck in the cards tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by rkwright View Post
    ...Flash - I wrote the campaign with 9N Sqd in mind. Would military cross work for them? I noticed that Collinshaw was awarded a DSC and a DSO (as well a DFC) but that post dates my time frame. Advice on this?
    I'm no expert but it appears the Navy chaps got Navy medals - like the DSC - and the RFC chaps got the Army medals - the MC - When they were amalgamated into the RAF then they got the air force medals - the DFC in this case. All of these are the same level so in your campaign, depending on their service, these are the awards they would initially get for 3 kills and for for further acts of gallantry. Officers of all services could get the DSO - for meritorious or distinguished service normally given for service under fire or equivalent service in actual combat with the enemy. Typically awarded to officers ranked Major (or equivalent) or higher, but the honour has sometimes been awarded to especially valorous junior officers.
    Collinshaw would have got the DSC as a naval pilot, the DFC as a RAF pilot and the DSO as either - in fact both in his case as he had a bar to his DSO !

So if you're going naval I'd suggest:
    DSC for 5 kills
    Bar to DSC for 10
    DSO for 15
    Bar to DSO for 20
    VC if you think someone really deserves it for a very brave action (as a guide it's awarded for "... most conspicuous bravery, or some daring or pre-eminent act of valour or self-sacrifice, or extreme devotion to duty in the presence of the enemy.")

Of course you may want something like this: DSC for 3, bar at 5, 2nd bar at 10.

At least players now have both a RNAS & RFC/RAF rank & medal structure to use in the campaign - nice AAR btw !

Mission 2 AAR

Had some time to run this one. This one proved to be challenging from the start! When I was test playing this one a few weeks ago, there was one time where I failed to even make it past turn two - one pilot wounded on the ground, and the other was decimated by the early fire. Today a little better!

Cooper and Henry flying again. I played it a bit conservative with Henry, waiting till turn 2 to take off. Henry took the brunt of the first pass - 7 Points!

On Turn 2 the Germans swept around, while Henry took off. Meanwhile I misjudged the Pfalz's position and ended up putting Cooper right in the line of fire. Luckily - a zero with a jam. Jammed guns would be the story of the Pfalz that day.

A few moves later and we were all bunched up on the allied side. This proved to be a mistake, and the camels were taking a beating without scoring any major hits.

As the DVas speed carried them back toward German lines, Henry started to follow. Again the Pfalz guns jammed and rendered him ineffective as he pulled a Split S. But the damage was adding up. Henry was up to 14 damage points... One of the DVas had 8 points, the Pfalz was still completely intact, while Cooper and one of the Albatros were at 1 hit a piece.

Henry pursued the wounded Albatros, hoping to get a kill before heading home.

Meanwhile Cooper and the Pfalz both ended up doing double Immelmanns over two turns and lead to a head on pass. 4 damage to the Pfalz, and 2 to Cooper - but the Pfalz was jammed again!

The rotary engine pulled Cooper's plane around quickly, while the Pfalz tried to line up a shot on Henry's Fleeing Camel. Within close range, Cooper landed another burst. And another! A 0 and 3, and a 4 and 2 +1 for the Aim bonus. In a few quick turns the Pfalz was nearing its end at 14 points.

Henry retreated off the map, and Cooper Immelmanned again, with the Pfalz in his sight. This time the Pfalz AI made a mistake, though there wasn't much chance. One more quick burst put him at 16 points and down he went. By now the Albatros were trying to get back in the fight.

Cooper turned around for one more pass at the wounded Albatros - it would be a close range hail of bullets. The Albatros broke apart in mid air, drawing a 1 and explosion. But he wasn't without effect - the flames start pouring out of Cooper's engine.

Cooper turned to head home, as the fire was taking its toll.

In the end I scored this as a German Victory. One Albatros was still flying with only 1 damage point. The Pfalz and other Albatros were down, but Cooper and Henry were both at 14 points damage. Cooper's damage added up very quickly - pulling 7 points while on fire. Only a zero on the last draw while on fire saved him.

Standings
    Mission Points: 0 (-2 for Mission Failed, +2 for 2 victories)
    Pilot Points:
    W. Cooper - 8
    T. Henry - 0

Campaign Total
    Mission Points: 7
    Pilot Points: 21

Just a question: I had pictures taken by my iPhone. They look fine on my Mac, but when I tried to attach them, they are all upside down. Any help on this?

Mission 3 AAR

I flew this one last night - so trying to remember it as best I can. This one proved to be challenging!

Cooper and Henry up again, against 2 Rolands and 2 Fokker Dr1s. I decided to keep the Camel's in tight formation and go for one recon plane at a time. Cooper and Henry both went straight and turned to the right pursuing one of the Rolands. Within a few moves both were within close range of the Roland and filled it with holes. Henry got credit for the kill, but took an engine damage early on. This would plague him the rest of the round. That Roland was ineffective against its ground target, rolling 1s and 2s 2 straight times. The Dreideckers came around and quickly started firing at Cooper.

Meanwhile the other Roland was busy calling in the shells on a different trench. Soon that trench was at 4 damage and the Roland was circling around for another pass. Cooper was up to 13 points from the Fokkers and decided to head back. Henry would have to fight down one more. Henry got within range of the Roland but the guns jammed. Meanwhile the gunner on the Roland kept tacking point by point on Henry. Soon the gun would go silent as the Roland began calling in the artillery once again. This time a roll of 5 destroyed the target. The Roland proceeded on to target #2, with Henry pursuing. It was difficult to get a good shot with the engine problems, but soon the Roland was up to 9 points again. The Roland closed on target #2 and with one roll - a 6 - the shelling obliterated the target. The Roland soldiered on target #3.

The Fokkers were constantly harassing Henry and soon had him up to 13 points. There was no where to run, Henry knew he was going in for this one. With the cards already chosen, the Fokkers closing fast, and the Roland just within range, Henry let loose one last burst..... a 1. The Roland survived. Henry felt the plane begin to break up around him as both Fokkers tore it to pieces...

Another Failure! Two missions in a row! This mission was challenging but winnable.

T. Henry rolled a 5 after the crash, so he'll be out one mission.

Standings
    Mission Points: - 2 (-2 for failure, -1 for one plane lost, +1 for one victory)
    Pilot Points:
    W. Cooper: 0
    T. Henry: 2 (4 for one victory, -2 for crashed)

Campaign Total:
    Mission Points: 5
    Pilot Points: 23

Mission 4 AAR

The Germans started in two, two man formations - each one with a Roland CII and an Albatros D.Va escorting. I decided to send all three Camels - W. Cooper, E. McCarroll, and N. Lifeson, after one formation. The Camels positioned well then made their hard right turns into the formation. The Roland instantly drew hits from all three Camels while Cooper took a little damage from the rear gunner.

Cooper and Lifeson continued to pursue the Roland while McCarroll went after its escort. The Roland only lasted 3 more moves before it could no longer take both Camels blasting away. Lifeson was credited with the kill. McCarroll got in position on the D.Va and on the first card blasted it from the sky. Luck was on our side!

Cooper turned to pursue the other Roland and ended up wounding the rear gunner right after its bombing run. The Roland dropped bombs but only scored 2 points of damage. The other escort began engaging Lifeson and they dueled for a while.

The Roland was no match for Cooper and McCarroll who was was rushing over hungry for one more victory. Cooper was credited with the victory. The Albatros turned and fled back to German lines. Lifeson harassed him the entire way back but the Albatros made is back alive.

Standings
    Mission Points: 7 (4 for success, 3 for victories)
    W. Cooper: 5 (1 victory plus survived with minimal damage)
    E. McCarroll: 5
    N. Lifeson: 4 (1 victory but 0 due to heavy damage)

Campaign Total
    Mission Points: 12
    Pilot Points: 37

Not a good day for the Deutsche Luftstreitkräfte, that's for sure! Nice shooting on the part of the lads, however... well done!

Thanks for the AAR.

Mission 5 AAR

This one is tough!! If anyone here wants to take on a hard Mission this is it!

W. Cooper flew in against 4 Albatros D.Vas. They flew in two groups of two, until one was damaged then they broke apart. Cooper flew left for the first turn, hoping to be able to cut back right and end up behind the D.Vas as they flew by him. It paid off... Cooper ended up behind the formation and was able to hit the one plane and wound the pilot - a 3 with wound. Though now as an ace the deadly aim perk added one point. Soon two in the formation were sweeping right, while the other two continued straight to make an Immellmann. One of the Albatros caught Cooper for a split second and tore into the Camel with a 4 damage.

Cooper stayed out of range for 2 turns, slowly maneuvering for a better shot. Soon a close range head on pass with the same damaged Albatros. Cooper took two 1 damage cards but delivered a huge shot with a 5 wound and a 3 damage. With double wound cards the Albatros went down. The end of that turn left Cooper in perfect position to get behind one of the formations, while the other Albatros across the board out of the action. Cooper made a Immellmann which put him in range at one of the Albatros's 9'oclock. Luck would be on my side again - in one card an explosion.

Carrying 6 damage points Cooper had two victories already. He just might make it! He was in perfect position for one more Albatros. However the other Albatros which was out of action rushed back in quickly. Amazing how much ground those B decks can make it. As Cooper made the left turn to get behind the Albatros, the other one got in close range for two cards.

A 5 and a 4. How quickly the luck changed! Just like that Cooper was down...

I really thought I could pull this one off with the two early kills. I guess the deck was just lethal tonight. Cooper rolled a 3 after being shot down - so WIA out one mission.

Standings
    Mission Points: -1 (-2 for failure, -1 for plane lost, +2 for victories)
    W. Cooper: 6 (2 victories but -2 for shot down)

Campaign Total
    Mission Points: 11
    Pilot Points: 43

One v four is a big ask especially for reasonably matched aircraft - taking two down is a pretty good result.

Certainly did well against four, as it is usually the attrition of just having your hit points chipped away that gets you in the end, or even in other parts of your plane.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thanks guy! Campaign is proving tough - but I enjoy the challenge.

I'll try pictures again, but like I said earlier when I upload them they all come in upside down. Strange.

Mission 6 AAR

This one ended up being very complicated and a little difficult to narrate, with 8 planes in the sky. 3 Camels from 9N, a reserve pilot flying a Sop Tripe, against 4 Fokker Dr.1s. The entire fight turned into a big mess right in the middle of the map. But truthfully the Fokker's were just no match for the Camels (which was surprising to me, I thought this would be a fairer fight). Also the concentration of firepower was deadly.

2 Fokkers were downed quickly, with one of the Camel's taking a good bit of damage. The injured Camel made its way out of the battle field and survived to fight another day. The remaining two Fokkers circled around the formation, but finally the Tripe got a final good burst in, sending the Fokker into flames, and then it crashed to the ground. The remaining Fokker tried to flee, but the speed of one of the Camels proved too much. The Camel caught up and downed 2 moves away from the edge of the map.

Mission Success! 4 downed Dr.1s and no downed Entente planes.

Standings
    Mission Points: 8 (4 for success and 4 downed Central Powers Planes)
    T. Henry: 1 (No victories, 1 for surviving the mission)
    E. McCarroll: 8 (2 victories, 0 because of heavy damage)
    N. Lifeson: 5 (1 Victory, 1 for surviving the mission)
    Reservist: 5 (1 Victory, 1 for surviving the mission) ** Not counted towards campaign total **

Campaign Total
    Mission Points: 19
    Pilot Points: 57

Mission 7 AAR

Cooper was itching to get back in the fight on this one after being out for the last mission. This time two Bristols would be joining in the trench bombing mission. Two German scouts flew straight at the formation; a Pfalz and a Fokker Dr.1. The Bristols split and each went for a different target. Cooper hanged back and waited to make the turn to tail the enemy.

The Pfalz and Dreidecker engaged the Flight Leader of the Bristols. Right off the bat, the bristol took 4 cards of damage, while firing back its B deck rear gun. Slight damage to the Bristol, while the rear gunner peppered the Pfalz. The Pfalz circled around and the rear gunner never let up. By now Cooper was falling in behind the Pfalz. Cooper let loose his twin vickers, but it was the Bristol's rear gunner that was having his way with the Pfalz. Soon it was in flames, trying to just stay airborne. Within two more moves it burned up in the sky.

By now the other Bristol was beginning its bombing run. It lined up perfectly, and dropped the bombs at the perfect time. A direct hit (1d6-6 complete destruction) on the far trench. The Flight Leader Bristol, so engaged with the Pfalz, had more difficulty dropping its bombs. It did 3 damage to the trench as it passed over.

Soon the Fokker was in firing range. The rear gunner of the Bristol Flight Leader and the Fokker exchanged fire and both pilot and the gunner were wounded. The Flight Leader's gun fell silent. Cooper got in firing position again, but missed again. He was out of practice. The Flight Leader lined up for another pass, but misjudged and missed the target trench.

The other Bristol was a much better bomber. He lined up for his second run, and slow and steady scored another direct hit on the second trench. The Fokker realizing that all was lost turned and headed home. He happened to run into the Bristol bomber head on. They exchanged fire, and as the Bristol was holed, the pilot noticed the Fokker's pilot slump over and the plane went into a spin. The second wound was too much for the German Pilot.

Mission Success! Those brisfits were DEADLY. Cooper failed to even score any damage before they had dispensed with the Germans.

Standings
    Mission Points: 6 (4 for success and 2 downed Central Powers Planes)
    Cooper: 1 (No Victories, 1 for surviving and mission success)
    Bristols scores not counted towards pilot points

Campaign Total
    Mission Points: 25
    Pilot Points: 58

Having fun with this one... but just as a preview I've got an Italian - Austrian Mini Campaign in the works!!

Looking good Ryan - the 5 v 4 in mission 6 is a handful to manage as you found out so well done for getting through that !

Quote Originally Posted by rkwright View Post
    Thanks guy! Campaign is proving tough - but I enjoy the challenge.

I'll try pictures again, but like I said earlier when I upload them they all come in upside down. Strange.
    Hello Ryan, I really liked your campaign. Once I have time I will make an attempt. I had the same problem taking pictures with my iPhone, I could only solve the problem by taking pictures with the phone facing the other side. That is the round button at the bottom of the phone has to stay close to your right hand.

Similar Missions

1. AAR: Balloon Busters Mini-Campaign (Training Pilots)
    By Bobit in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 01-13-2014, 02:57
  2. Ohio: FloorWars Spring 2012 21-APR-12 Willoughby, Ohio
    By Jager in forum US Wing
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-26-2012, 04:06
  3. How about a mini Campaign in "Bloody April"?
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-04-2012, 23:40
  4. Mini campaign with KotA rules - a few questions
    By Marechallannes in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2012, 22:40