Ares Games

Thread: 2014 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous - September

Default 2014 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous - September

Trying to get some interest generated in getting as many of us as possible to meet at the Air Force Museum for the 2014 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous. Might be nice to put faces to Wings of War handles, and possibly get some Wings of War/Glory gaming in as well.

Some ideas:

I may decide to go up to the event for more than one day. If so, would folks be interested in gaming on the Friday of the event? Perhaps we can get a couple of portable tables and set up some events inside the museum, perhaps in the Early Years Gallery area. There will certainly be a decent amount of foot traffic that day. If we cannot game there, I believe there is a game store not far away with some gaming space.

Or, we can just hang out on Saturday and enjoy the show, perhaps having a meal and a beer after the event Saturday evening.

This would be a great place for those with Ohio Squadron banners to perhaps contact the museum and see if they can be displayed.

Thoughts?

Link to the event is HERE.

Darryl

I am planning on going; given the distance, I'll probably go for a Friday-Saturday trip (the one 2 years ago was a little hairy daytripping; not as young as I was back in the day ;P).
    Friday should be a thinner day. crowd-wise.
    Tom: are you still in contact with the museum about a demo game day. I don't know if they'd like us to crash the event, but we could ask.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

In talking with The G Dog, have some ideas brewing. If we cannot play at the museum, there is a close by shop that we can game after the Rendezvous has concluded each day. There is also a close by Comfort Inn that out-of-towners can stay at (walking distance of the museum) that also has a meeting room. I am going to look into pricing to rent that room and if it is not too crazy ask for folks to throw a donation into the pot. That way we could game even longer into the evening.

Darryl

Here are some tentative plans/ideas:

If CappyTom can get us into the museum or allow us to have a tent and tables outside, then primary gaming focus will be during the show.

Barring that, we can reserve some table space at the local hobby shop (The Game Haven). They sell Wings of Glory items and are VERY close to the museum. (map HERE). We can game there Friday night and/or Saturday night after the Dawn Patrol festivities are over for those respective days.

Another option, and far more expensive, is to rent the conference room at the Comfort Inn which is even closer to the museum (map HERE). However, based on my years of running cons in the area, that room is going to cost several hundred dollars to rent. I will find out an exact price.

As part of the gaming event, we might ask for a $5.00 donation that would be used to cover prizes/giveaways. More on this later.

The goals of getting together at the DPR are as follows:

Promote Wings of Glory gaming to the general public
    Get together with fellow gamers in the area
    Have a darn fine time!

I foresee us potentially having a mini-con if there is enough interest/turn out. Perhaps this year we game at the hobby shop, but if we get enough folks interested, we rent the conference room at the hotel and hold a mini-con.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!
    Darryl

For those of you thinking about staying the weekend, the Comfort Suites which is a stone's throw from the museum, is getting closed to booked for the weekend. There is also a Country Inn and Suites a few miles away. Directions from the museum are HERE.

Thanks for the research, Darryl. If Tom can't get cooperation from the Museum, I'd go with Gamers' Haven.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

That seems to be the direction I am heading, Karl. I would think the hotel conference room will be far too expensive. They do have a board room that might be an option.

Once I get pricing, etc., I will be posting more details!

I sat down & worked out my kids visitation shcedule for the year last week, & I am free this weekend, & have already requested Friday off, so it looks like I'll be attending the entire event.

The same is true for Origins. No kids that week/end & request already tendered, so I think I'm attending the full spread on that one as well.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 01-09-2014 at 19:14.

Great! Hop to see you there (DPR) and get a chance to meet!

I am contemplating Origins this year. My vacation calendar for 2014 is rather full already, but perhaps going up for a day is within reason.

Hope to see you & everyone else there!

An Ohio event! Cool. What are the dates we are talking about? I might be in as well.

Never mind. I just saw the link. September should be good for me. I'm in!

Quote Originally Posted by skyking20 View Post
    An Ohio event! Cool. What are the dates we are talking about? I might be in as well.
    There's BashCon in Toledo valentine day weekend (so like gamer geeks ); a number of us go Saturday and game in open gaming.
    Karl

That sounds good. Rhnae and I have been married over 32 years. We don't make a fuss about Feb 14th! I look it up but keep me informed, please!

That sounds good. Rhnae and I have been married over 32 years. We don't make a fuss about Feb 14th! I look it up but keep me informed, please!
    http://www.bashcon.com/

Hey guys, stop hijacking my thread! This is for the DPR, not Bashcon!

Quote Originally Posted by predhead View Post
    Hey guys, stop hijacking my thread! This is for the DPR, not Bashcon!
    Thread hijacking; that never happens here. Reminds me of the time when...............
    Karl
    Last edited by Jager; 01-15-2014 at 12:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Thread hijacking; that never happens here. Reminds me of the time when...............
    Karl
    Karl,

Do you have any information for Floor Wars this year ?

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Zakopious View Post
    Karl,

Do you have any information for Floor Wars this year ?

Ken
    So far, not happening
    I keep nudging, but the Lady who needs to be there (church member) has a life schedule that's way too packed.
    I will post when I hear good news.
    Karl

Floor Wars is in Willoughby, right? I live just 10 miles from there. Where exactly is it held?

Karl & Lance,

The Great Game Swap will be held at the Clarion Inn, Hudson, Ohio 6625 Dean Memorial Pkwy, Hudson, OH 44236;
    Sunday, February 2nd, 2014 from 10am – 4pm (Doors open at 8:30 for people renting tables).

See: http://northcoastgamers.org/specialevent/

Floor Wars is in Willoughby, right? I live just 10 miles from there. Where exactly is it held?
    In 2012, Floor Wars was held in Grace Episcopal Church, 36200 Ridge Road (Route 84).

See: http://www.floorwarscon.net/

Grace Episcopal Church on Ridge rd.
    But as I said, no new date yet.

I drive by there all the time. I hope you can pull it off! I volunteer to help with setup, cleanup and shooting down planes!

Ken,
    Any gaming going on or is it strictly a swap meet?

Wait! This has turned into a double hijack!

Is it known for sure that someone is running WoG game(s) during the open gaming. Or are we doing it? If not, us how can I be sure of a game slot (since I am the "new" guy)?

Ken,
    Any gaming going on or is it strictly a swap meet?
    As near as I can tell, there is no gaming at the GGS.

Wait! This has turned into a double hijack!

Is it known for sure that someone is running WoG game(s) during the open gaming. Or are we doing it? If not, us how can I be sure of a game slot (since I am the "new" guy)?
    Re: double hijack, Karl and I work as a team and we are good.

Re: open gaming at Fields of Glory in Richfield held on Saturday, May 3rd from 9:00AM – 9:00 PM.
    FOG is a small con so there should be no problem getting into games.
    However, if we are going to play WOG we should plan on running it ourselves.
    Karl & I like to run a scenario in which the evil Gotha Bombers attempt to bomb the Orphan's Toy Factory to ruin their Christmas.
    Snoopy and a herd of camels attempt to stop the Gotha's before they get to the Toy Factory.
    Unfortunately, Snoopy was shot down behind German lines at Origins 2013 last summer.
    As of yet, he has not returned.
    It is beginning to look as if, our hero met his end in a burning dog house.
    If he can return to the Allied lines by May 3rd, I am sure that the brave beagle will again lead a herd of camels to save the Orphan's Christmas.

See: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...l=1#post170266

Justbill

I took my Dad out to the Dawn Patrol once. I think it was 2005. It was an incredible experience. I could spend weeks just gawking at the planes in the Museum. Highly recommended. I Hope to make it back again someday.

I now officially have Thursdays and Fridays off this year, so I will be heading that way on Friday at the least

I put in for vacation for Dawn Patrol and informed the Mrs that I plan to attend...Which was met with a blank stare. Thats as good as an OK for me

Quote Originally Posted by Skullduggery View Post
    I put in for vacation for Dawn Patrol and informed the Mrs that I plan to attend...Which was met with a blank stare. Thats as good as an OK for me
    I used to get that stare.

Similar Missions

1. N. England & Scotland AAR 2: Dawn Patrol
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-11-2013, 11:25
  2. Dawn Patrol
    By Haystack in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-27-2012, 22:46
  3. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-30-2011, 06:14