Ares Games

Thread: Aussie Aces

Thumbs up Aussie Aces

Hello all.

I have been running a series of WW1 aces who were born in my home town...Brisbane.

Now I would like to do the same for WW2 aces.

The first (in no order of merit) is John Francis Jackson.

John Jackson was born in Brisbane on February 23 1908 and in civil life was a stock and station agent and grazier in St George in southern Queensland. In prewar days he was a member of the Citizens Air Force and he was called up for service after war was declared and granted a commission as a Pilot Officer on October 2 1939. His first posting was to 23 Squadron at Archerfield, Queensland. Just over 12 months later he followed 3 Squadron to the Middle East, joining the unit in December 1940. He flew Gladiators, and then Hurricanes during the Libyan campaign, destroying three Ju 87s in Hurricane P5176 over Mersa el Brega on February 18 1941 the first of his victories. The squadron converted to Tomahawks before fighting in Syria where he destroyed a Potez 63 on June 25 and a Dewoitine 520 on July 10. Next he shared a D 520 with another ace Bobby Gibbes but they tossed a coin for the full credit. Gibbbes won. He received a DFC and returned to Australia late in October. With the Japanese push towards Australia, he was promoted to Squadron Leader and made CO of the newly formed 75 Squadron with Kittyhawks in March 1942. He led his squadron to Port Moresby and the day after arriving, "Old John" led an attack on Lae airfield destroying 12 aircraft and damaging another five. On April 4, hit by AA fire, he crashed on a coral reef out to sea. His brother Les Jackson(more on him later), also in 75 Squadron, dropped him a life-jacket and he reached the mainland safely. On April 10 he was shot down by Zeros and again ditched. He swam to shore and made his way back through the jungle, arriving at Moresby on the 23rd during a raid in which a Japanese bullet sliced off the tip of his right index finger. On April 28, he was shot down and killed, but a Zero which was shot down may have been his. His score was eight, possibly nine. Jacksons Strip Airfield at Port Moresby was named after him.

Lest we forget. Skip. Out.

Thumbs up Aussie Aces

Russell!

Thank you for sharing that. He must have had something going for him. Most WW2 fliers did not start their careers at the age of 30.

Rich

Thumbs up Aussie Aces

Thank you Rich for your comments.

Now on to part two ...Leslie Douglas Jackson.

Les was the brother of "Old John" Jackson. He was born in Brisbane on February 24 1917, and in civil life was an accountant and garage proprietor in St George, Queensland. He joined the RAAF as an Air Cadet on November 6 1939, and after receiving his commission as a Pilot Officer in February 1940, rose though the ranks to Acting Wing Commander on September 1 1944.

His first posting was to 12 Squadron, then 23 Squadron, followed by, during August 1941, his first posting overseas to 21 Squadron in Malaya but he was back in 23 Squadron at Archerfield, Queensland, when the war against Japan started.

He was one of the original members of 75 Squadron when it formed, commanded by his brother, in March 1942. On March 24 at Port Moresby he shot down a Mitsubishi A6M Zero. He shot down another on April 5, his third on the 17th and on the 18th his fourth. On the 28th when his brother was killed, he replaced him as CO. After 44 days of intense action 75 Squadron was decimated and it reformed under his command back in Australia before returning in August to New Guinea at Milne Bay.

On August 27 he shot down his fifth Zero but on the 28th he crash landed due to engine trouble. He returned home on foot three days later. He was awarded a DFC after the Milne Bay battle. During 1943 he led 78 Wing composed of 75, 78 and 80 RAAF Squadrons, all with Kittyhawks, until the end of 1944. He received a Bar to his DFC early in 1945 and after being Chief Flying Instructor at 8 OTU, later in the year he commanded Air Defence Headquarters at Madang.

Thats all folks...

Thanks Skip.
    Are you going to make this a trilogy like the W.W.! Aussie Aces. My dad was out in Australia in the Fleet Air Arm, and he reckoned all the Aussie fliers he met were aces. Mad as hatters and damn nice guys, who you would want watching your back, were his exact words. I think he was right. Anyone who lands on a moving airfield in the middle of the Pacific ocean must be a bit mad.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thumbs up Aussie Aces

Thanks again Rob for the comments.

Yes, we are all mad down here. Too much midday sun.

I am going to run this as a series of six, as I could find more info on WW2 than WW1.

The next Ace is Charles Gordon Chaloner Olive.

Gordon Olive was born in Bardon(part of Brisbane), Queensland, on July 3 1916, and educated at Brisbane Grammar School and Queensland University. He commenced training in the RAAF in January 1936 and took up a short service commission with the RAF in 1937. He was sent to 65 Squadron and promoted to Flying Officer on August 19 1938. By then the squadron had converted from Gladiators to Spitfires. 65 Squadron formed part of the air cover for the evacuation from Dunkirk in May 1940, where Olive may have scored several successes which, unfortunately, were not witnessed.

On the 28th he was listed as missing, but was reported safe three days later after having been shot up and slightly wounded in the leg. Gordon Olive became an ace during the Battle of Britain, scoring his first confirmed victory, a Bf 109 on July 20 and on August 12 he probably destroyed another. Next day he shot down two and probably a third and on the 14th he scored another probable. On the 19th he was promoted from Acting Flight Lieutenant to Flight Lieutenant and he brought his score to five on August 26 by destroying a Bf 110. On December 9, Gordon Olive shot down a Bf 110 for what turned out to be his sixth and final victory, although he claimed a probable Ju 88 on February 15 1941.

In March 1941 he was promoted to Acting Squadron Leader and took up fighter controller duties at Tangmere.

Spitfire R6883/YT-A was Gordon Olives' regular aircraft during the period July to December 1940.

Stay tuned for more ...

Thumbs up Aussie Aces

Back again with more on the way.

Robert James Clarendon Whittle was born in Brisbane, on July 10 1914 and was a chemist in Murwillumbah NSW before joining the RAAF in April 1940.

After his training in Australia, he was posted to the Middle East in April 1941 where he joined 250 Squadron as a Sergeant on May 5. While flying Tomahawk AK423 off Tobruk on June 30 1941, he probably destroyed an unidentified Italian aircraft and then shared a Bf 110 with Pilot Officer Clive Caldwell on June 30 to claim his first victories.

Thereafter, he scored steadily. With his unit he saw extensive service over the Western Desert throughout the rest of the year, claiming numerous victories.

On December 19 Whittle was shot up and crashed landed Tomahawk AN452 25 kms east of Mechili and walked the 65 kms through the night back to base.

Two days later, in his regular aircraft AN313, half of his rudder bar was shot off, probably by another Tomahawk, and he was wounded by fragments. He crashed while trying to land at Gazala. He was rested on December 30 and was awarded a DFM. In April 1942 he returned to Australia.

After being commissioned, he was posted to 86 (Kittyhawk) Squadron early in 1943 as a flight commander and eventually became its commanding officer in November. He shot down a Mitsubishi A6M Zero and shared a Mitsubishi G4M Betty on January 22 1944 to bring his score to 13 (10 plus three shared) destroyed, two probables and two damaged. June 1944 saw him leave the squadron and he served as an instructor until his demobilisation on December 4 1945.

hoochimagoo

Default Robert Whittle

Hi Skippy,

Just wanted to find out if you know if Robert James Clarendon Whittle is still alive. I have been doing some family tree history stuff and know that my 2nd Uncle crashed and died in the Tomahawk AK423 on July 3rd 1941 and thought that Mr Whittle may have some info about him. Kind regards, Scott

Some very intresting reading Skippy, now Col with that second set of information on Aussi pilots, when are you going to add Australia to the current list of nations members can fly for?

Quote Originally Posted by hoochimagoo View Post
    Hi Skippy,

Just wanted to find out if you know if Robert James Clarendon Whittle is still alive. I have been doing some family tree history stuff and know that my 2nd Uncle crashed and died in the Tomahawk AK423 on July 3rd 1941 and thought that Mr Whittle may have some info about him. Kind regards, Scott
    Hello Hoochimagoo,

Robert Whittle married Ellen Frances King in August 1945.

Together they had five children.

Barbara Ellen born in 1946, Ian born in 1949, Robin Elizabeth born in 1950, David born in 1953, and Annette born in 1957.

Hope this helps with your search. I will keep you updated if I find more info.

Lest We Forget. Skip. Out.

G'day again,

Just adding to the info on R.J.Whittle D.F.M.

Found a record of flying hours when he was O.C. of 8 OTU (Spit and Boomer Squadron) on 30 June 1945.

Tiger Moth
    Wirraway
    Spitfire
    Boomerang
    Oxford
    Anson

Total - 126.25 hrs

Qualified on

Tiger Moth
    Wirraway
    Tomahawk
    Miles Magister
    Lysander
    Mohawk
    Hurricane
    Harvard
    Curtiss Falcon
    Kittyhawk
    Spitfire
    Boomerang
    Oxford
    Moth Minor
    Anson
    Ryan

Total- 1093.55 hrs

What I want to know is when did he have the time to father five children?

G'Day Everyone,

Because today is Rememberance Day, thought I would continue with my list of Aussie Aces that where born in my home town.

Next cab off the rank is Arthur Leslie Mervyn Spurgin.

Arthur Spurgin was born in Brisbane on November 4, 1915.
    He joined the RAAF in 1940.
    On completing his training in Australia, he was sent to the UK were he trained as a night-fighter pilot, serving with 29 Squadron late in 1941. He was posted to the Middle East, where he joined 89 Squadron in Egypt during 1942. Following the Anglo-American landings in Algeria in November, he formed part of a special detachment sent for the night defence of Algiers and here, he and his radar operator, F/Sgt D.A.Norris, claimed five victories in less than a month.
    On November 27 he shot down two He 111's, and destroyed another on December 4. On the 11th he accounted for a Ju 88, and on the 22nd he claimed a Piaggio P 108 four engined bomber over Bone.
    He was awarded a DFC in February 1943, the month he lodged his last claim, for damage to a He 111 north of Tripoli.
    His total reached five destroyed and one damaged.
    Later he is believed to have served with 87 Squadron, flying Hurricanes, but without adding further to his score.

Lest We Forget.

Skip. Out.

Yet another example of the debt that we owe to our Antipodean allies.
    Rob.

Thanks for the reply Rob.

Got another Aussie Ace for you.

Gordon Russell Tweedale.

Gordon Tweedale was born on April 18 1918 in Brisbane, and worked as a stockman in Queensland before joining the RAAF. Posted to the UK on completion of training, he joined 43 Squadron as a Sergeant direct from OTU in January 1942. He was posted to Malta, arriving by Sunderland flying boat on February 22, and joined 126 Squadron. During his first combat on March 9, he chased a Ju 88 to the Sicilian coast, claiming it shot down, but then Bf 109's damaged his Hurricane, wounding him in one heel, but he returned to Malta safely.

After three weeks in hospital, Tweedale joined 185 Squadron, again on Hurricanes. During April and the begining of May he scored steadily and was promoted to Flight Sergeant. On the 9th the island's defences were boosted by the arrival of a large number of Spitfires. Some were handed to 185 Squadron, but in his first flight in one of these (BR248) during that day he was shot down by Bf109's and killed.

The award of Tweedale's DFM was gazetted in December 1942, back dated to April, and confirmation of his commission to Pilot Officer also came through after his death. He is credited with seven destroyed, two probables and two damaged.

Lest We Forget.

P.S. For those that don't know what a Stockman is...the Yanks call them Cowboys.

In Australia a herd of cows is called Stock, and its not a job for boys...

Here is the last of my series...

Charles Arbuthnot Crombie.

Born in Brisbane on March 16 1914, Charles Crombie was a jackaroo at Warwick, Queensland, when he decided to join the RAAF in 1940.

He was commissioned in 1941 and posted to the United Kingdom where he attended night fighter OTU before joining 25 Squadron. He was posted to the Middle East in 1942, joining 89 Squadron in Egypt. His first success occurred at the controls of Beaufighter X7719 on 19/20 June 1942, a He 111 destroyed over Mersa Matruh.

With Sergeant R C Moss as his radar operator, he was despatched to Malta on September 20 to join the unit's detachment there. Flying intruder sorties over Southern Sicily up to the end of the year, his tally reached nine when he shot down two Ju 52/3s over Castelvetrano on December 17/18.

In January 1943, he went with a detachment sent to India to form 176 Squadron. Over Calcutta during the night of January 19/20 he intercepted four Mitsubishi Ki-21 Sally bombers. One engine of his Beaufighter was set on fire but he shot down two bombers and damaged a third before bailing out as his petrol tanks exploded.

Crombie was awarded the DSO in March 1943 and was posted back to 89 Squadron on Malta as a flight commander. His DFC came through in May 1943 and he was promoted to the rank of Squadron Leader. His final score was 12 destroyed, two probables and one damaged.

Back in Australia on August 26 1945, less than two weeks after VP Day, he died in a Beaufighter crash at Williamtown NSW. He was demonstrating a single engine landing approach when the working engine cut out. A public funeral was held in Newcastle.

Lest We Forget.

So it's Goodnight from me...Hope you enjoyed the show.

P.S. Jackaroo=Cowboy

You may have noticed Australians have lots of names for Cowboys...it's because we have lots of cows....

P.P.S. Jillaroo=Cowgirl

Don't want to leave the ladies out.

I would like to thank you Russell for an excellent and very enlightening series of biographies. Although W.W.11 is not my main area, i found the series very entertaining and stimulating.
    Rob.

Skippy just wanted to say thanks. And a heart warmed thanks to those who gave all for our freedom. Les we forget.

I was just wondering if you had any photos of those fine pilots and their planes? I think it would be fitting to post a photo with each report.

Thanks again for sharing the tales of these great men.

Tom

THANKS TOM,

Have to take my hat off to all the men and women who paid the price for freedom.

Lest we forget.

Skip...Out.

Skippy,

Great work keeping the flame alive. My father knew Gordon Olive.

Olive’s biography, The Devil at 6 O’Clock: An Australian Ace in the Battle of Britain, was published in 2001. From the AWM site:

'Olive used to tell his pilots the tale of a particularly memorable incident. Once when he bailed out, his parachute nearly failed to open. When he landed in a paddock, he was confronted by members of the land army and home guard, and had to convince them he was not German. That accomplished, he thought he’d made it, but the ambulance taking him back to the aerodrome overturned and, as the file notes:

“I scrambled out with a few more bruises, and was then picked up by a fire engine dashing to the spot where my Spitfire was burning itself out.

“The fire engine, too, ended up a minute later in the ditch.

“After that, I decided to walk.”

And that is why the wing commander always tells his pilots that they are safer in the air.'

Amazing people, and heroes all.

BofB
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 01-10-2012 at 15:02.

Baldrick62,

I would like to thank you, and also share a story of a famous Australian Cricket player, who served during the Battle of Britain and was interviewed some years later...

Interviewer: Weren't you scared of the English pace attack during the Ashes series?

Cricket Player: I'll tell you what scared is...scared is having a Messerschmitt up your arse...

Skippy,

On a similar vein, and I wish I could remember who's obit it was (gone to the Blue within the last 3 years);

An old and bold ex-WWII RAF aircrew mate was working for a company in the City of London in the 60s/70s, and the bright young thing with all the new management speak gave a rousing speech to the minions about some deal the company had just sealed:

BYT: Ladies and gentlemen, this a without a doubt the most exciting thing that has happened in our lives.

OAB: No, bailing out of a burning Mosquito at 20k ft over Berlin as we were bombing it was a bit more exciting!

Keep the flame alive - for our tomorrow they gave their today: we will remember them.

BofB

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    Baldrick62,

I would like to thank you, and also share a story of a famous Australian Cricket player, who served during the Battle of Britain and was interviewed some years later...

Interviewer: Weren't you scared of the English pace attack during the Ashes series?

Cricket Player: I'll tell you what scared is...scared is having a Messerschmitt up your arse...
    I'll bet you a "Quid" that was Keith Miller!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    I'll bet you a "Quid" that was Keith Miller!
    Quite possibly: an amazing bloke!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militar...f_Keith_Miller

Yes it was....give that man a turnip.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    Yes it was....give that man a turnip.
    From memory Blackadder & Balders were really into Turnips in an earlier series!

Similar Missions

1. Wanted: Aussie airforce ideas
    By Riot in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-14-2010, 03:02
  2. Aussie Aces
    By Skippy in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-21-2010, 04:49
  3. Aces High
    By gregbond77 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 1