Ares Games

Thread: Some sad news...

Default Some sad news...

http://www.aerodromerc.com/

The best site for balsa RC kits of WWI aircraft is closing down.
    Their laser cutter bit the dust, and cost of replacement is apparently too high. All the cheap laser cutters they've examined appear to have serious problems, or are just plain scams.

So unless anyone knows of a reliable source of quality laser cutters for balsa for < $6,000, they're defunct.

This is their 1/10 scale Albatros D.III

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AlbatrosDIII.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	117698

The designer is a friend of mine, and she's heartbroken that she has to shut up shop like this. Business never recovered after the last shutdown, and with another one looming, revenue won't cover the amortised cost of a replacement cutter.

Here's her 1/16 scale Sopwith Triplane - only 8 times the size of the Ares model.

Name:	Soptrip_20_600.jpg 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	117699

Sad to hear this Zoe. I just received a call yesterday saying that my laser is built and ready for me to pick up. I can attest to the fact that they are not cheap!

Bummer about your friends, Zoe. That's a beautiful Albatros.

On the other hand, I am pleased to hear that Herr Oberst and his laser are soon to be united!

Sorry to hear about that Zoe, those are really beautiful models. This can really be a cruel world at times, I hope she finds a solution.

I'm sorry to hear this, Zoe. To lose a labor of love can be quite painful. I wish for her a reasonable and successful solution.

We're seeing what can be done.. we might be able to get some replacement parts that might be compatible...

I can't believe she sells the kits so cheaply.

I was just at the website; some of these planes are quite large. Very beautiful work.

What a shame Zoe.
    You can see from the site what a superb set of models she has produced. As you say the prices are very competitive.
    I hope that a solution to the problem can be found.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Hopefully a solution can be found for them to stay in business.

There are some beautiful models there, would be a shame to lose them.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    http://www.aerodromerc.com/

The best site for balsa RC kits of WWI aircraft is closing down.
    Their laser cutter bit the dust, and cost of replacement is apparently too high. All the cheap laser cutters they've examined appear to have serious problems, or are just plain scams.

So unless anyone knows of a reliable source of quality laser cutters for balsa for < $6,000, they're defunct.

This is their 1/10 scale Albatros D.III

Name:	AlbatrosDIII.jpg 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	117698

The designer is a friend of mine, and she's heartbroken that she has to shut up shop like this. Business never recovered after the last shutdown, and with another one looming, revenue won't cover the amortised cost of a replacement cutter.

Here's her 1/16 scale Sopwith Triplane - only 8 times the size of the Ares model.

Name:	Soptrip_20_600.jpg 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	117699
    Ooh look a Sopwith Triplane with correct length struts,please note Ares, yes it still bugs me

Great Idea Chris. If so I am in to help them get their new machine. I hope the word has been spread about the need for a new machine.

Sounds like a great idea chaps. Keep me informed.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

That Albatross is a work of art - quite simply stunning, such a great shame that there will be no more rolling off the production line. I do hope your friend manages to recover from this setback, really hope that there is a knight in shining armour out there somewhere

Well, if the co. really is perma-dead, maybe someone else could KS a laser-cutter and fill the gap....

RichardPF

I spoke with the lady that runs the company.

A new laser cutter of the quality required would be into 5 figures.
    She really did not see the volume of orders that were being generated these days as justifying that cost.
    She was also not interested in a deal to outsource production to another company that had a high quality cutter.
    She is very sad but pragmatic about the whole thing.

Between plans, instructions and other bits, there is a tremendous amount of intellectual property in an enterprise such as this.
    She said that her plans were to hold on to all of that and maybe come back to the market some time in the future.

Similar Missions

1. Theres Good News & Bad News!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-31-2013, 23:46
  2. Series 1 Good News Bad News
    By David Manley in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 07:09
  3. Good News, Bad News, Good News, Uncertain News
    By spin_doctor in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 21