Ares Games

Thread: Midway Act 1 Attack on Soryu (She glides 400 miles North of Midway by dark of night)

Default Midway Act 1 Attack on Soryu (She glides 400 miles North of Midway by dark of night)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 Soryu Steams secretly to Midway.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	117645Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 Her Compliment awaits.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	117644

Welcome to the 'Drome, Chris. Wicked looking setup. Is the carrier printed out on paper, or something more like a playing matt?
    And you should do a How-to on the mounting blocks.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Thumbs up

G'day Chris & a big welcome to the 'drome from the pilots who fly in NSW down in Australia.

That image looks really great! Will look forward to mission progress reports.

Thank you guys, I really appreciate that.

This is a 5 page print out and I hit it with photo shop just to extend the water graphic portion to fill the page. If you are interested, I have the Soryu and US Ranger available in the WWII files download section.

Thank you for letting me aboard the ship with you sirs.

Default US Army had preparations of their own

As the sun set, the US Army had preparations of their own.
    The crews complete their checklists
    and then slept under their aircraft awaiting the light of morning
    . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4 On Midway Island.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	117646Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6 the US Army.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	126.0 KB 
ID:	117647Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7 has preperations.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	117648Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8 of their own.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	117649Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9 Crews complete checklists.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	166.2 KB 
ID:	117650

Nice pictures.

I like the gear-paper-boxes.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

I like the undercart mounts - nice touch. One for the files section perhaps ?

Very nice indeed!
    I'll keep an eye on this.

Great beginning! I share the interest in the undercarriage blocks...

Can't wait to see what transpires.

Wow, again thank you. And from around the world no less... WOW...!!!

The undercarriage blocks are available in the World War II file section.

My goal is to have the undercarriage blocks available for all Wings of Glory aircraft. And I believe I am close (all but like 5 aircraft miniatures left to design)...

I hope to complete the Heinkel He.111 gear by today.

Thank you again for looking at the thread.

Default B 25s take to the Air

Friday Morning at first light B 25 teams lumber to the runway

Name:	12 Lumbering to the runway.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	117681
    The captain reminds the crew that he alone maintains discretion to exceed bingo fuel if needed and his decision is not up for debate. He reminds the crew that there is a job to get done, and we are the best of the best to do it.

Name:	16 The captain maintains discretion.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	117682
    The bumpy ride smoothes to glass and from this point on, it all boils down to training and a little luck.

Name:	21 Blue group a go.jpg 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	117683
    Blue group checking in as a go...
    Yellow group checking in as a go...
    Blue group checking in as a go...
    Green group checking in as a go... break out the coffee boys, we are not scheduled to dance with Soryu for another 2 hours. Gunners enjoy your coffee, but keep an eye out for IJN patrols.

Name:	23 Red group a go.jpg 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	117684
    Last edited by THECCRICH; 12-16-2013 at 13:23.

If you need help with the block construction, I'll figure out a way to do a how to thread on them (just like Jagar suggested).

Until then...
    1. Pretty much do a rough cut lay them flat and lightly hobby blade/score where the folds occur.
    2. Fine cut outside of the black lines, or the colored border if no black line.
    3. Dab a drop of wood glue on your opposite hand, and dip you finger ever so lightly in the drop to get a tiny amount of glue.
    4. Use the hobby knife flat side to press the folded flange tight against the side it is being glued to.

Trial and error works the best.

Cap !!!, I have bogies at 11 high...!!!

Name:	25 Cap, I have bogies at 11 high.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	160.8 KB 
ID:	117690
    they're comin in tight, He looks like he's trying to ram us...!!!

Name:	27 he's going to ram us.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	117691
    CLAPPANG...!!!

Name:	28 CLAPPANG.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	117692
    That section leader clipped us, light em up...!!!

Name:	29 He clipped us, light em up....JPG 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	117693
    Got em... He's smoken like my Ford truck Cap...

Name:	30 Got em... down he goes.JPG 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	117694
    attack...attack...attack..this is tail gunner Red Group, attack...attack...attack.. I still have a shot at him... attack...attack...attack..

Name:	31 Atack...Atack...Atack...JPG 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	117695
    Cap, Looks like we slow... [interrupted by Group leader] cut the chatter we have another section circling at 4 o’clock low, you have to concentrate gunner, I can't afford to have them pull up behind us. Cap...!!! 3 of em attacking underneath... I got smoke off our number 2...

Name:	33 Attacking from underneath....JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	117696

See http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...Lost-Log-Book) for the rest of the story...
    Last edited by THECCRICH; 10-24-2015 at 05:47.

Fantastically different way to do an AAR. Love the undercarriage idea, one to copy. Can't wait for next installment.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Really good ideas, Chris. Very innovative. I, too, am looking forward to the next installment.

I am so impressed with the start to this and the innovation vis the landing gear that I am going to give you my own personal pat on the back Chris.
    I also formally welcome you on behalf of the pilots over the pond in Dear old blighty.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Default Mission Wrap Up...

(I have the rest of the pics from Friday Dec 13th 2013s battle, but please go to http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...Lost-Log-Book))

Group, I have a visual on Soryu. She is a couple miles out yet. This is good news for us. The Navigator informs me they are 30 some odd miles closer than we originally thought and that equals 30 miles additional fuel to get us home. Drop your boats to 2k and double check that the ordnance is armed. Also, gunners stand by for another round... Those Zero's are likely lining up for another pass. Group, I don't have to tell you that we get one shot at this. Look alive...

[Red Group Top gunner] I can't touch 'em... [Red Group Tail gunner]... attack...attack...attack...attack...attack I got 'em but they're comin' in hot...attack...attack...attack...attack [Red Group Top gunner] Cap is that our smoke coming off the number one? Copy that gunner, I have anti aircraft fire coming off Suryo... [Red Group Captain] this is going to get bumpy so buc [interrupted by] SPLASH....

I was using my Combat Damage Mod (File section under WWII) to tally internal system damage. To cut to the chase, I will share the after action report I wrote up after the solo battle.

Thank you for reading this post, I tend to get lost in the game and the imagination that surrounds it. This battle was played over the span of 12 hours (I was on vacation at home ) and the aircraft were moved at slow speed (WOG heavy loaded rules due to 3K of ordnance) over 4 table lengths.
    I would do it again tomorrow if I could.

After Action Report filed by Maj. Clayton Abernathy (Captain of Green Group/Group Leader):

After Action Report for Attack on IJN Carrier Soryo

Equipment:
    North American B–25A Mitchell (4 units dispatched)

Fuel Unit Use:
    4 Slow. 8 Fast (Relative fuel burn of a twin engine bomber in relation to a fighter using WOG rules of 1 slow and 2 for fast.

Fuel Capacity:
    974 US Gal (5844 Lbs) 6 Lbs per US Gal 127 units

Climb Rate: 7

Max Altitude:
    9 pegs (9,000 m/25,200f ceiling) for C models

Crew complement:
    5 or 6 (1,000 to 1,200 Lbs) at 200 Lbs each

Ammunition Management:
    .35 Pounds per .50 BMG round
    200 ( 70 Lbs) .50 BMG Dorsal Gun
    200 ( 70 Lbs).50 BMG Ventral Gun
    100 ( 35 Lbs).50 BMG Forward Gun

Equipment Load Bearing Considerations:
    20,000 Lbs Dry Weight
    28,460 Lbs Max Takeoff Weight
    8,460 Max Takeoff Load Availablity

Final Weight and Balance:
    175 LBS in Ammunition
    3,000 LBS in Ordnance
    1,200 LBS in Crew
    3,800 LBS in Fuel
    8,175 LBS TOTAL

Bingo Fuel Considerations:
    487 miles one way with 18 mile bingo fuel cushion.

Estimated Fuel Considerations Post Sortie:
    ,467 miles back to Midway
    1,977 lbs of available fuel left onboard Green and Blue Group for return flight
    1,821 lbs of fuel would be required for return flight to Midway Island
    2,276 lbs of fuel would be required for Blue Group return to Midway Island with consideration to engine damage and fuel leakage

After Action Unit Status:
    Green Group returned safely to Midway Island. All crew were accounted for and uninjured. Green Group was awarded a unit accommodation for delivering 3 Mark 13 aerial bombs on target. Private Jim Rimlen was awarded a unit accommodation for his confirmed kill of one IJN Mitsubishi Zero. Aircraft is undergoing maintenance for the repair of light battle damage to the left leading edge.

Blue Group lost 25% of her fuel due to engine damage and fuel leakage; as a result, Blue Group was forced to ditch 117 miles north of midway. The crew of Blue Group is currently listed as missing in action. Search parties are pending the completion of Japanese actions against Midway.

Contact with Yellow Group was lost shortly after the 2nd salvo on Soryu exploded. Yellow Group was awarded (posthumously) a unit accommodation for delivering 3 Mark 13 aerial bombs on target. The crew of Yellow Group is currently listed as missing in action.

Red group fell to Soryu’s anti aircraft fire, and crashed in the area of operations. The crew of Red Group is listed as killed in action.

Mission Completion Status:
    Soryu was observed as burning profusely. It is believed that although Soryu remains afloat, she is unserviceable to the IJN pending overhaul.
    Last edited by THECCRICH; 09-26-2015 at 06:06.

Use a free image server to upload images and then link them here. It'll be easy and everyone will be happy. These images are from photobucket:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/ent...-4-Young-Hawks

About the carriers in the file section. All parts are 5 to 6 kbs. Aren't they a little small files for a 1/200 carrier?

Good Question.

They are dinky by comparison to other files. When you set your printer to fill the page (being careful that nothing gets cut off), they will produce the 4.25 page or 1/200 scales ship.
    The detail still comes thru.

I was a little surprised at how small the file size is when I put it up however.

Thank you for the question,
    Chris

Thank you, Chris. I'll make a carrier and let you know how it went from there.

Welcome Chris and thanks for the detail you have brought to the Drome, its excellent.

There is a stats list on my thread for the carriers . . . all 40"+ in length, looking cool guys!

Please forgive my burden known as spelling...

Similar Missions

1. Attack on Midway Atoll--May 1942
    By gully_raker in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-18-2013, 21:23
  2. AAR Midway Rising: Scenario 3: Attack Transport Fleet
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Midway Rising
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-18-2013, 09:03
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-17-2013, 19:45
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-24-2012, 13:55
  5. AAR: Midway Rising - Bombing Midway (US Nightbomber)
    By Nightbomber in forum Midway Rising
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-20-2012, 12:52