Ares Games
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Flight Stands with built in Altitude rings

I cracked 2 of my first 3 before I realized to bore out the hole ever so slightly with a round file. X-Acto knife can also do the trick, but not as cleanly. If you leave the sticky paper on the stands, you can easily paint the stand's lines black and red too. If it bleeds a bit, clean it up with your finger nail. I really like the look of the painted lines.

And the other benefit of Keith's awesome flight stands is they are easier to move about the playing mat. They are heavier than stock and have square edges that you can grip more easily when maneuvering. Far superior to stock stands.
    Last edited by Von Scharf; 09-10-2020 at 15:19.

The old wings of war pegs fit good. The new wings of glory are too tight. I actually broke one of mine in half. You need to file out the hole a bit to get them to fit right.

They are awesome stands. Got the plane stats on them. If you paint them up they really pop! A lot easier to use.

If the peg does not want to go all the way into the base, do not force it as they can break. The pegs very quite a bit in size, so sort through your stash of pegs until you find ones that fit. It might take a bit of searching, but once you have one that fits, it will stay in the base so you don't have to keep doing that.

If you can't find one that fits just right, you can file the bottom of the peg (where you snipped the pin off) down some. That will allow it to go further into the base. You can also open the hole up on the base with a file, but that might not be too easy if you don't have a round file.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    If the peg does not want to go all the way into the base, do not force it as they can break. The pegs very quite a bit in size, so sort through your stash of pegs until you find ones that fit. It might take a bit of searching, but once you have one that fits, it will stay in the base so you don't have to keep doing that.

If you can't find one that fits just right, you can file the bottom of the peg (where you snipped the pin off) down some. That will allow it to go further into the base. You can also open the hole up on the base with a file, but that might not be too easy if you don't have a round file.
    Some of us learn best through brute force. Here... hold my beer while I jam this peg in with all my might.
    I'm also rather oaf-ish, so trying to use the stock stands makes me angry as I knock my planes about.

I'm kinda like Shrek, but I pick my nose a bit less. Thanks for the great stands.

Brute force comes before finesse. Learning opportunities!

Scout and two seater flight stands have been restocked alone with gimbal mounts.

Thanks! Just place an order. Can you make up more Spad VII and Sopwith Triplane B Gun. Need a few more and your inventory said you didn't have that many.

Thanks!!!!!!

I bought a cheap modeling kerf saw with aluminum mitre box and have used it way more than I thought I would. It's great for cleanly and easily sawing off pegs for gimbal mounts, AA bases, etc.

Hmm, I wanted to place an order but it says that there is just one normal flight stand available... I need 17^^

Wow, those went fast!!!!! Looks like he is going to be busy making more! They are pretty awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Thanks! Just place an order. Can you make up more Spad VII and Sopwith Triplane B Gun. Need a few more and your inventory said you didn't have that many.

Thanks!!!!!!
    Seconded on the Triplane B Gun. Looks like you're also out of the Fokker D.VII

Quote Originally Posted by Von Scharf View Post
    If you leave the sticky paper on the stands, you can easily paint the stand's lines black and red too. If it bleeds a bit, clean it up with your finger nail. I really like the look of the painted lines.
    I agree. I hit my first stands with black for everything except the stats. Now I wish I'd hit the stats area too. At least, I know better for next time.

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    The old wings of war pegs fit good. The new wings of glory are too tight. I actually broke one of mine in half. You need to file out the hole a bit to get them to fit right.

They are awesome stands. Got the plane stats on them. If you paint them up they really pop! A lot easier to use.
    Anyone care to share pics of painted bases? Would love to see them!

Quote Originally Posted by MadMad17 View Post
    Here are a couple of mine. You can use any colors you want. I went with the basics.
    First is the basic scout base

Name:  IMG_0443.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  32.9 KB

Here is one of the ACE flight stands for a Nieuport 17.

Name:  IMG_0445.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  63.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MadMad17 View Post
    Here's one of mine. The black was spray painted. I pulled the paper off before painting the stats, so I'm trying a tip Kevin posted about using crayon. It's better than nothing; but I wish I had painted them (even in black).

Name:  20200915_234049.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  51.2 KB

memo to self - "do not look at this thread again" those stands look brilliant 40+ various stands = more ££s, but they look so good

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    memo to self - "do not look at this thread again" those stands look brilliant 40+ various stands = more ££s, but they look so good
    Agreed, and mine looks even better now. I didn't notice until I looked at my picture that some of the backing was still there in the number centers (e.g. 8,9, and the '0' in 10).

The suspense is killing me, looking at the store at least twice a day^^

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Arizona (Otherwise known as Hell's back porch)
    Sorties Flown

I am having problems getting the custom base program to work. I am trying to design a custom Large Bomber base and it won't add in any additional arcs. I put the info in but nothing shows up. Even making modifications to existing arcs won't change. What's the problem?
    I need to design several custom bases for several different airplanes.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Similar Missions

1. Skytrex Red Baron planes for sale (built)
    By baztaylor in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-16-2010, 05:21
  2. A Question About Flight Stands
    By John B in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-17-2010, 01:36
  3. Fixing flight stands-ideas?
    By afilter in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 07:34
  4. Flight Stands French Touch