Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 119

Thread: Flight Stands with built in Altitude rings

  1. #1

    Default Flight Stands with built in Altitude rings

    The Aerodrome Accessories flight stands were designed to make it easier to keep track of the altitude of a plane. It also allows the use of altitude rules with out actually having to raise and lower your miniature every time you go up or down a level.

    The base its self is laser cut from 1/8 (3mm) crystal clear plastic and the details are laser etched. The base comes uncolored and it is suggested that you use red and black crayons to color in the etched details.




    Here is a photo of the base with the paper backing still on.



    Here are a couple of shots of the base with the details colored in. In the first two you can see that it has been colored in to be used as a two-seater stand. The firing arcs are in red while the dashed line on the back of the base is the rear gunner's blind spot.





    This shot shows the base colored as a Scout base. It has also been colored to show a max altitude of 13, that of an Albatros D.III. You can also see the data box that is etched into the base. This area can be used to label your bases if you intend to assign a plane type to each base.

    The altitude ring goes up to an altitude of 16, the max for the game according to Andrea. The small dial that sits on the ring is numbered 1-8, corresponding with the climb rates in the game.

    Here are the design drawings for the bases.



    The bases in use...










  2. #2

    Default

    hello
    great tools
    are they compatible with gimball sets ?
    about those gimble mounts what are the sizes of ball and ring.
    6mm or less ? perhaps the ball is 3mm and the ring 6mm ?
    do you need to make a big hole ?
    thanks for advices.

  3. #3

    Default

    Hey Eric, the stand and gimbal mounts all work together. The balls are 3/16 of an inch... or roughly 4.7mm You could get by with drilling a 2.5 to 3mm hole in the bottom of the plane. I can try and get some pics if you need them of the underside of a plane with the gimbal mount.

  4. #4

    Default

    hello
    great pleasure to be back to wings of war great forum !
    you've done great job.
    great ideas, great products.

    big hole in such small planes (especially wwi fighters), pictures could help !
    and don't see many french aviators using those tools...

    the flight panels seem to be awesome, not yet photos to see how tool works ?

    wwii bombers stands are really great, we should go on scenarios cards idea !

  5. #5

    Default

    Its good to have you back Eric!

    I'll try and get some pics over the next couple of days. The holes are not that large, they just need to let the ball bearing sit down in the plane a little bit. It is just to add strength when gluing the bearing onto the plane.

    I think I have only had one order placed from France These are really big hits in the rest of the world though.

    The Cockpits (flight panels) are still being worked out, so no photos or videos of it yet... but there will be!

    The bomber stands hove come out really nice, now I just need time to write up a mission for them and get you to make me some cards to go with them

  6. #6

    Default

    hello
    thanks a lot !

    perhaps frenchies prefer buy a new planes than some accessories...
    or perhaps add some standard flat basic letter shipping service at lower costs...

    bomber stand :
    unfortunately my wwII bomber card do not fit with your stands.
    i'll have to make some new design

    mission card :
    as soon as you can

  7. #7

    Default

    I don't think your cards have to fit the bases, they are more for info then for playing with... unless you use cards only... then you don't need my bases!

  8. #8

    Default

    Of course, card mission may have any size or shape.
    About bomber cards, I think it's better looking if card fits with the base (like for any other plane) ...
    Then a unique size for all bomber cards seems to be a good idea.

  9. #9

    Default

    I can get you the sizes and layouts that I used on the bases if you would like to make cards to fit them? Each bomber has a different sized base... it all depends on how long I need it to fit all the gun arcs in!

  10. #10

    Default

    waouhh ! i didn't realize that each bomber has specific card...well,you are right : i need sizes and layouts to try something .

  11. #11

    Default

    I think the B-24 and Betty bases are the same size, the B-17 is longer in and the Sally is much shorter. I'm not sure what the Lancaster is going to come up to yet. I'll send you an email with everything in it. Can you open .eps files?

  12. #12

    Default

    thanks a lot.
    yes I can

  13. #13

    Default Base hole

    I would guess you've answered this question before. Why isn't your base hole drilled (punched) to the same size as the WoW base?

  14. #14

    Default

    Ed, on of the issues I had with the official flgiht stands was that the pegs would often seperate from the base during play. By making my hole larger and inserting a slightly modified official peg, I was able to solve that issue.

    Whatch this short video on the Gimbal Mounts and you will see what I'm talking about.

  15. #15

    Default

    I should have known that you gave it a lot of thought. Thanks for a great product.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    Colonel,

    FYI...The video link is no longer active
    Nor is the Col. He is on R & R for the next week. Please put it in his pending tray, or failing that send him a P.M. for when he gets back.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Ed, on of the issues I had with the official flgiht stands was that the pegs would often seperate from the base during play. By making my hole larger and inserting a slightly modified official peg, I was able to solve that issue.

    Whatch this short video on the Gimbal Mounts and you will see what I'm talking about.
    I just finished marking up the shipment of stands and prop rulers I received yesterday and they look spiffy! Worth every penny!



    Obviously I have the pegs in upside down so I could take the pic... and with the video not working, I am assuming that the "slight modifications" to which the Col. is refering involve shaving off the tiny peg so that the base can sit flush with the table... Does anyone know if that would be correct?
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

  18. #18

    Default

    Yes, he did, but before you rush off and destroy what is a very scarce comodity, consider this. You can push the peg into its proper stand, and plant the new one over it without cutting off the peg. This has two additional advantages. 1. It makes the base heavier, and 2, it shows the original aircraft details through the perspex of the top base. This not, of course, an option if you are scratch building an aircraft as you have no official base.
    Very nice work on the bases. How did you achieve the very tasteful colour scheme?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

  19. #19

    Default

    Great work Ken. What did you use for the color?

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Yes, he did, but before you rush off and destroy what is a very scarce comodity, consider this. You can push the peg into its proper stand, and plant the new one over it without cutting off the peg. This has two additional advantages. 1. It makes the base heavier, and 2, it shows the original aircraft details through the perspex of the top base. This not, of course, an option if you are scratch building an aircraft as you have no official base.
    Very nice work on the bases. How did you achieve the very tasteful colour scheme?
    Rob.
    Nice idea... how do you keep the acrylic base from shifting around on the WoW base? I was worried about trashing seven pegs and then cutting up a bunch more for the gimble mounts... now this way I can do only the gimbles and save my flight peg "gold"! (Color question answered below!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed2 View Post
    Great work Ken. What did you use for the color?
    Thanks! Just Crayola Crayon... Black, White Orange and Red. I have found tht it works better if you do your rubbing under a warm lamp... I used a 100 watt bulb about 6 inches above my hands... this warms up the acrylic just enough to soften the wax and make it flow a teeny bit better into the markings... you have to be careful not to get it too warm because then it tend to "rub back out" as you are working... then you let it cool and rub off the excess.

    Works like a charm!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    Nice idea... how do you keep the acrylic base from shifting around on the WoW base?
    The tolerances on the pegs are variable. Try a few until you get one that has an interference fit with the top base. It will be enough to hold it in place as long as you are not too rough. I got fagged off with keep changing bases to different planes and am now gradually buying the cols bases for each plane. I may then glue them all in place permanently.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

  22. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    The tolerances on the pegs are variable. Try a few until you get one that has an interference fit with the top base. It will be enough to hold it in place as long as you are not too rough. I got fagged off with keep changing bases to different planes and am now gradually buying the cols bases for each plane. I may then glue them all in place permanently.
    Rob.
    I was just looking at my ever-growing mini collection and thinking that I am gonna have to order some more bases myself...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

  23. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    I was just looking at my ever-growing mini collection and thinking that I am gonna have to order some more bases myself...
    I just got fed up with keep on moving them from plane to plane. Now it's just the having to order new ones for each set of new planes. I thaught I was ahead having got enough in stock for series 4 and the Deluxe re issue. Then I found another Se5 in a shop, A trader had a Neiuport to convert to Mannock's and a Brumowski has turned up unexpectedly, plus a 1 1/2 Strutter to build, so I'm 4 bases down again, and so it goes on. Still must not complain, at least we have got some great bases to use.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

  24. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Yes, he did, but before you rush off and destroy what is a very scarce comodity, consider this. You can push the peg into its proper stand, and plant the new one over it without cutting off the peg. This has two additional advantages. 1. It makes the base heavier, and 2, it shows the original aircraft details through the perspex of the top base. This not, of course, an option if you are scratch building an aircraft as you have no official base.
    Very nice work on the bases. How did you achieve the very tasteful colour scheme?
    Rob.
    Soooo.....Rob, for those of us who are visual learners: we are placing our Aerodrome bases ON TOP of the original WoW flight stands...then the peg goes down through the first and locks into the WoW base? A pic would be lovely. Walt

  25. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    The tolerances on the pegs are variable. Try a few until you get one that has an interference fit with the top base. It will be enough to hold it in place as long as you are not too rough. I got fagged off with keep changing bases to different planes and am now gradually buying the cols bases for each plane. I may then glue them all in place permanently.
    Rob.
    Another related question: Rob, do you think Nexus will ever make "additional accessories" available. Seems every game I've ever played has had a flyer insert in the box where you could order individual parts for a game; either as replacements for lost or broken originals...or to add and augment your game. How difficult would it be for Nexus to make the "golden" pegs available in this manner? Seems like a favorable marketing tool for them. walt

  26. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Powell View Post
    Another related question: Rob, do you think Nexus will ever make "additional accessories" available. Seems every game I've ever played has had a flyer insert in the box where you could order individual parts for a game; either as replacements for lost or broken originals...or to add and augment your game. How difficult would it be for Nexus to make the "golden" pegs available in this manner? Seems like a favorable marketing tool for them. walt
    I agree Walt. We have talked this one through ad infinitum. How big a hammer can you bring to the party. Nexus will supply the wall as usual. I often wonder how much feedback they actually get on these subjects we discuss on here. I once got in touch direct about marketing policy but got nowhere. Maybe we should all E-mail them individually with one set request for pegs.
    I will photograph the bases when I can get back into my hobby room. That's another story.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

  27. #27

    tonyc206's Avatar
    Users Country Flag


    Blog Entries
    4
    Name
    Tony
    Location
    Buckinghamshire
    Sorties Flown
    400
    Join Date
    Oct 2010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I agree Walt. We have talked this one through ad infinitum. How big a hammer can you bring to the party. Nexus will supply the wall as usual. I often wonder how much feedback they actually get on these subjects we discuss on here. I once got in touch direct about marketing policy but got nowhere. Maybe we should all E-mail them individually with one set request for pegs.
    I will photograph the bases when I can get back into my hobby room. That's another story.
    Rob.
    Do we have any members in Hong Kong? The chaps over there can usually find the factory and get a job lot. Well they can with most other things from China & Japan.

  28. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I agree Walt. We have talked this one through ad infinitum. How big a hammer can you bring to the party. Nexus will supply the wall as usual. I often wonder how much feedback they actually get on these subjects we discuss on here. I once got in touch direct about marketing policy but got nowhere. Maybe we should all E-mail them individually with one set request for pegs.
    I will photograph the bases when I can get back into my hobby room. That's another story.
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob! On the pegs: maybe the Italian manufacturers and company distributor simply don't view marketing strategies ("supply and demand"...."profit and gain"....etc) as other parts of the world do? Otherwise I can't imagine their reluctance to make such items readily available to their customer base. How difficult could it truly be; either in the manufacturing end or mass distribution? Pay the guy (or gal) who's plugging out four pegs per box to make baggies of ten or so each! And the added incentive for Nexus would be that they are keeping their best customers pleased and "coming back for more"!

    On the other hand, of course, their theory on slowly eeking out new plane minis could be an old one: keep 'em collectible....keep 'em scarce....keep a throat-hold on the market...protect your position in the market.

    But "pegs"? How do you say, "Come on, Man!" in Italian?

    BTW....on the base "pics": no rush. I think I figured it out....was being lazy asking instead of experimenting with my own stands and my newly-arrived Aerodrome stands. As pointed out earlier: the key is finding a "peg" that fits, as they (pegs and/or Aerodrome stands) all seem to vary in measurements.

    Thanks again! And I have to add....it's great to be able to ask anything and geta learned response with no "dummy" undertones noticable. Happy Thanksgiving!!! Walt

  29. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Powell View Post
    Thanks again! And I have to add....it's great to be able to ask anything and get a learned response with no "dummy" undertones noticable. Happy Thanksgiving!!! Walt
    On your thinking about the Nexus conundrum, we are in accord. Somewhere on here in the distant annals of the past, is a diatribe by me on the subject of market forces and supply.
    Re the "dummy". I usually take it out of my mouth before replying to people. It's only good manners not to talk with your mouth full.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

  30. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Powell View Post
    Soooo.....Rob, for those of us who are visual learners: we are placing our Aerodrome bases ON TOP of the original WoW flight stands...then the peg goes down through the first and locks into the WoW base? A pic would be lovely. Walt
    WoW (no pun intended)...I'm getting turned around here. Are folks saying that the pegs don't exactly fit into the aerodrome stands? Or...are they saying the aerodrome stands fit over the Nexus stands? That las t seems unlikely to me...but, in any event, is their a problem with the aerodrome stands? I realize that one has to "color" them in ... but aside from that, what other challenges are there? e.g. do the altitude and climb rings fir on easily...etc.

    Thanks for any clarifications...

  31. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    WoW (no pun intended)...I'm getting turned around here. Are folks saying that the pegs don't exactly fit into the aerodrome stands? Or...are they saying the aerodrome stands fit over the Nexus stands? That las t seems unlikely to me...but, in any event, is their a problem with the aerodrome stands? I realize that one has to "color" them in ... but aside from that, what other challenges are there? e.g. do the altitude and climb rings fir on easily...etc.

    Thanks for any clarifications...
    I gathered from previous posts on this thread that the holes in the Aerodrome stands are too big for the pegs. And, one person offered a solution of putting the Aerodrome base on top of the WoW base...then the peg goes done all the way through the Aero stand and locks into the WoW stand, making (as one person said) a heavier and more stable platform combined. Sure enough, I found this to be true with mine. Was there another reason or "fix' for the larger hole in the Aero stand bases?

  32. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Powell View Post
    I gathered from previous posts on this thread that the holes in the Aerodrome stands are too big for the pegs. And, one person offered a solution of putting the Aerodrome base on top of the WoW base...then the peg goes done all the way through the Aero stand and locks into the WoW stand, making (as one person said) a heavier and more stable platform combined. Sure enough, I found this to be true with mine. Was there another reason or "fix' for the larger hole in the Aero stand bases?
    Let me clarify the situation gents.
    1. There is NOTHING wrong with the Aerodrome bases. Just the opposite.The pegs push in from underneath and the relief angle on the peg ensures they lock in.
    2. To save the peg from needing its little spiggot cutting off, I suggested pushing it into the existing Nexus base under the Aerodrome one. This had the unexpected advantage of adding extra stability because of the weight of two bases, and showing the original markings through the base for easy reference.
    3. The problem is with the Nexus pegs. They are of variable quality as regards fit. Some snug and some loose. I'm sure you have noticed as your planes spiral down after falling off the pegs.
    4.To help stop this at base level at the least, I suggested getting one of the snug fit pegs into the base. This has nothing to do with its fit into said base but rather its fit into the Nexus base underneath. I'm sorry if I was not clear enough the first time round, but this is what tends to happen when a discussion is made peicemeal in a series of disjointed postings from several interested parties.
    I hope this has cleared it up a bit for you.
    In the end it is your decision which course of action you follow after all.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

  33. #33

    Default

    If you look in the Hobby room there is a thread on loose flight pegs and what to do about them.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

  34. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I'm sorry if I was not clear enough the first time round, but this is what tends to happen when a discussion is made peicemeal in a series of disjointed postings from several interested parties.
    I hope this has cleared it up a bit for you.
    In the end it is your decision which course of action you follow after all.
    Rob.
    Once again....thanks Rob!

  35. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Powell View Post
    Once again....thanks Rob!
    No probs Walt. After all that's what this is all about. Helping each other to enjoy our hobby to the full.
    rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

  36. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Let me clarify the situation gents.
    1. There is NOTHING wrong with the Aerodrome bases.

    Let me add to FO Kyte's response for anyone reading this: I'm sure that no one meant to cast a negative light upon the Aerodrome stands. They're a quality product. As for my part: I suspect that I may incorrectly state my questions at times, but this is out of an innocent quest for knowledge and a bit of naivety in our shared hobby. MayorJim, I apologize if anyone was offended or if I caused false alarm to be raised.

    ("There", he thought, "I've gone and done it....ostracized myself from the drome in record time.") "Who will fly with Stachel?".....dead silence......

  37. #37

    Default

    The thread to the Gimbal video has been updated, here it is for easy reference.

    At the end of the video you can see the modified Nexus peg.

  38. #38

    tonyc206's Avatar
    Users Country Flag


    Blog Entries
    4
    Name
    Tony
    Location
    Buckinghamshire
    Sorties Flown
    400
    Join Date
    Oct 2010

    Default

    We need stands for the big bombers now Col.

    The HP 0/X00 and Zepplin-Staaken will need a large base with thicker pegs like the balloon stands. That I use at the moment for my HP 0/400.

    My Gotha G.IV is fine on the standard pegs but could do with a larger base.

    Do you have any plans for these yet Keith?

    Tony

  39. #39

  40. #40

    Default

    Having read through this thread it occurs to me I have seen the pegs used on the original WoW aircraft.. I just have CRS and am not sure where I have seen them before.. allow me to cogitate and see if I can kickstart the ol brain and remember where i spotted them..

  41. #41

    Default

    Keith
    Can you Please supply me the price of these bases and can you buy the Altitude pegs by themselves? US $ price is fine I can Convert it to Kiwi $
    Linz

  42. #42

    Default

    Lindsay, all the info you need is right here. The site will also give you an estimated shipping cost if you place things in your shopping cart. The Scout stands are still out of stock, but the WWII Stuka stand would work just as well for a shipping quote.

    I currently do not offer just the altitude pegs. It is something I am working on... though it's on the back burner due to the expenses of having molds made.

    Keith

  43. #43

    Default

    Keith, I registered at the Aerodrome Accessories site, and tried putting the stands on my wish list. It generated an error message. Is this because they are out of print, or is it due to some other reason?

  44. #44

    Default

    Nope, there is an issue on the site with the theme I am using... looking into it now!

  45. #45

    Default

    Cheers Keith will check that out in near future

  46. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Nope, there is an issue on the site with the theme I am using... looking into it now!
    Yep...same problem with me...I registered some time ago and never did receive any e-mail notifications when stuff was back in stock...

  47. #47

    Default

    You know.
    It wouldnt be all that hard to produce paper/card versions of the dials for use with the standard WoW aircraft stands that fit over the pegs.
    They could even be customised for individual types.

  48. #48

    Default

    You might find it hard to move the dials around when you need to adjust them with out bumping the base around too much.

  49. #49

    Default

    Is there a firm in stock date for the flight stands yet?

  50. #50

    Default

    Ed, should be the end of the month. Bryan is cutting the flame/smoke and rulers this weekend and will be ordering the acrylic for stands next week.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Similar Missions

  1. Skytrex Red Baron planes for sale (built)
    By baztaylor in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-16-2010, 06:21
  2. A Question About Flight Stands
    By John B in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-17-2010, 02:36
  3. Fixing flight stands-ideas?
    By afilter in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 08:34
  4. Flight Stands French Touch
    By Bob.fr in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-14-2010, 15:56
  5. Litco stands
    By Charlie3 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-17-2010, 16:35

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •