Ares Games
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flight Stands with built in Altitude rings

Hybrid View

Default Flight Stands with built in Altitude rings

The Aerodrome Accessories flight stands were designed to make it easier to keep track of the altitude of a plane. It also allows the use of altitude rules with out actually having to raise and lower your miniature every time you go up or down a level.

The base its self is laser cut from 1/8 (3mm) crystal clear plastic and the details are laser etched. The base comes uncolored and it is suggested that you use red and black crayons to color in the etched details.

Here is a photo of the base with the paper backing still on.

Here are a couple of shots of the base with the details colored in. In the first two you can see that it has been colored in to be used as a two-seater stand. The firing arcs are in red while the dashed line on the back of the base is the rear gunner's blind spot.

This shot shows the base colored as a Scout base. It has also been colored to show a max altitude of 13, that of an Albatros D.III. You can also see the data box that is etched into the base. This area can be used to label your bases if you intend to assign a plane type to each base.

The altitude ring goes up to an altitude of 16, the max for the game according to Andrea. The small dial that sits on the ring is numbered 1-8, corresponding with the climb rates in the game.

Here are the design drawings for the bases.

The bases in use...

hello
    great tools
    are they compatible with gimball sets ?
    about those gimble mounts what are the sizes of ball and ring.
    6mm or less ? perhaps the ball is 3mm and the ring 6mm ?
    do you need to make a big hole ?
    thanks for advices.

Hey Eric, the stand and gimbal mounts all work together. The balls are 3/16 of an inch... or roughly 4.7mm You could get by with drilling a 2.5 to 3mm hole in the bottom of the plane. I can try and get some pics if you need them of the underside of a plane with the gimbal mount.

hello
    great pleasure to be back to wings of war great forum !
    you've done great job.
    great ideas, great products.

big hole in such small planes (especially wwi fighters), pictures could help !
    and don't see many french aviators using those tools...

the flight panels seem to be awesome, not yet photos to see how tool works ?

wwii bombers stands are really great, we should go on scenarios cards idea !

Its good to have you back Eric!

I'll try and get some pics over the next couple of days. The holes are not that large, they just need to let the ball bearing sit down in the plane a little bit. It is just to add strength when gluing the bearing onto the plane.

I think I have only had one order placed from France These are really big hits in the rest of the world though.

The Cockpits (flight panels) are still being worked out, so no photos or videos of it yet... but there will be!

The bomber stands hove come out really nice, now I just need time to write up a mission for them and get you to make me some cards to go with them

hello
    thanks a lot !

perhaps frenchies prefer buy a new planes than some accessories...
    or perhaps add some standard flat basic letter shipping service at lower costs...

bomber stand :
    unfortunately my wwII bomber card do not fit with your stands.
    i'll have to make some new design

mission card :
    as soon as you can

I don't think your cards have to fit the bases, they are more for info then for playing with... unless you use cards only... then you don't need my bases!

Of course, card mission may have any size or shape.
    About bomber cards, I think it's better looking if card fits with the base (like for any other plane) ...
    Then a unique size for all bomber cards seems to be a good idea.

I can get you the sizes and layouts that I used on the bases if you would like to make cards to fit them? Each bomber has a different sized base... it all depends on how long I need it to fit all the gun arcs in!

waouhh ! i didn't realize that each bomber has specific card...well,you are right : i need sizes and layouts to try something .

I think the B-24 and Betty bases are the same size, the B-17 is longer in and the Sally is much shorter. I'm not sure what the Lancaster is going to come up to yet. I'll send you an email with everything in it. Can you open .eps files?

thanks a lot.
    yes I can

Default Base hole

I would guess you've answered this question before. Why isn't your base hole drilled (punched) to the same size as the WoW base?

Ed, on of the issues I had with the official flgiht stands was that the pegs would often seperate from the base during play. By making my hole larger and inserting a slightly modified official peg, I was able to solve that issue.

Whatch this short video on the Gimbal Mounts and you will see what I'm talking about.

I should have known that you gave it a lot of thought. Thanks for a great product.

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    Colonel,

FYI...The video link is no longer active
    Nor is the Col. He is on R & R for the next week. Please put it in his pending tray, or failing that send him a P.M. for when he gets back.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Ed, on of the issues I had with the official flgiht stands was that the pegs would often seperate from the base during play. By making my hole larger and inserting a slightly modified official peg, I was able to solve that issue.

Whatch this short video on the Gimbal Mounts and you will see what I'm talking about.
    I just finished marking up the shipment of stands and prop rulers I received yesterday and they look spiffy! Worth every penny!

Obviously I have the pegs in upside down so I could take the pic... and with the video not working, I am assuming that the "slight modifications" to which the Col. is refering involve shaving off the tiny peg so that the base can sit flush with the table... Does anyone know if that would be correct?
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Yes, he did, but before you rush off and destroy what is a very scarce comodity, consider this. You can push the peg into its proper stand, and plant the new one over it without cutting off the peg. This has two additional advantages. 1. It makes the base heavier, and 2, it shows the original aircraft details through the perspex of the top base. This not, of course, an option if you are scratch building an aircraft as you have no official base.
    Very nice work on the bases. How did you achieve the very tasteful colour scheme?
    Rob.

Great work Ken. What did you use for the color?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Yes, he did, but before you rush off and destroy what is a very scarce comodity, consider this. You can push the peg into its proper stand, and plant the new one over it without cutting off the peg. This has two additional advantages. 1. It makes the base heavier, and 2, it shows the original aircraft details through the perspex of the top base. This not, of course, an option if you are scratch building an aircraft as you have no official base.
    Very nice work on the bases. How did you achieve the very tasteful colour scheme?
    Rob.
    Nice idea... how do you keep the acrylic base from shifting around on the WoW base? I was worried about trashing seven pegs and then cutting up a bunch more for the gimble mounts... now this way I can do only the gimbles and save my flight peg "gold"! (Color question answered below!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ed2 View Post
    Great work Ken. What did you use for the color?
    Thanks! Just Crayola Crayon... Black, White Orange and Red. I have found tht it works better if you do your rubbing under a warm lamp... I used a 100 watt bulb about 6 inches above my hands... this warms up the acrylic just enough to soften the wax and make it flow a teeny bit better into the markings... you have to be careful not to get it too warm because then it tend to "rub back out" as you are working... then you let it cool and rub off the excess.

Works like a charm!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    Nice idea... how do you keep the acrylic base from shifting around on the WoW base?
    The tolerances on the pegs are variable. Try a few until you get one that has an interference fit with the top base. It will be enough to hold it in place as long as you are not too rough. I got fagged off with keep changing bases to different planes and am now gradually buying the cols bases for each plane. I may then glue them all in place permanently.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Rob.
    Soooo.....Rob, for those of us who are visual learners: we are placing our Aerodrome bases ON TOP of the original WoW flight stands...then the peg goes down through the first and locks into the WoW base? A pic would be lovely. Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Powell View Post
    Soooo.....Rob, for those of us who are visual learners: we are placing our Aerodrome bases ON TOP of the original WoW flight stands...then the peg goes down through the first and locks into the WoW base? A pic would be lovely. Walt
    WoW (no pun intended)...I'm getting turned around here. Are folks saying that the pegs don't exactly fit into the aerodrome stands? Or...are they saying the aerodrome stands fit over the Nexus stands? That las t seems unlikely to me...but, in any event, is their a problem with the aerodrome stands? I realize that one has to "color" them in ... but aside from that, what other challenges are there? e.g. do the altitude and climb rings fir on easily...etc.

Thanks for any clarifications...

The thread to the Gimbal video has been updated, here it is for easy reference.

At the end of the video you can see the modified Nexus peg.

We need stands for the big bombers now Col.

The HP 0/X00 and Zepplin-Staaken will need a large base with thicker pegs like the balloon stands. That I use at the moment for my HP 0/400.

My Gotha G.IV is fine on the standard pegs but could do with a larger base.

Do you have any plans for these yet Keith?

Tony

Having read through this thread it occurs to me I have seen the pegs used on the original WoW aircraft.. I just have CRS and am not sure where I have seen them before.. allow me to cogitate and see if I can kickstart the ol brain and remember where i spotted them..

Keith
    Can you Please supply me the price of these bases and can you buy the Altitude pegs by themselves? US $ price is fine I can Convert it to Kiwi $
    Linz

Lindsay, all the info you need is right here. The site will also give you an estimated shipping cost if you place things in your shopping cart. The Scout stands are still out of stock, but the WWII Stuka stand would work just as well for a shipping quote.

I currently do not offer just the altitude pegs. It is something I am working on... though it's on the back burner due to the expenses of having molds made.

Keith

Keith, I registered at the Aerodrome Accessories site, and tried putting the stands on my wish list. It generated an error message. Is this because they are out of print, or is it due to some other reason?

Nope, there is an issue on the site with the theme I am using... looking into it now!

Nope, there is an issue on the site with the theme I am using... looking into it now!
    Yep...same problem with me...I registered some time ago and never did receive any e-mail notifications when stuff was back in stock...

Cheers Keith will check that out in near future

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

You know.
    It wouldnt be all that hard to produce paper/card versions of the dials for use with the standard WoW aircraft stands that fit over the pegs.
    They could even be customised for individual types.

You might find it hard to move the dials around when you need to adjust them with out bumping the base around too much.

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

You know.
    It wouldnt be all that hard to produce paper/card versions of the dials for use with the standard WoW aircraft stands that fit over the pegs.
    They could even be customised for individual types.
    You might find it hard to move the dials around when you need to adjust them with out bumping the base around too much.
    Some experimentation with bits of card suggest that, provided the holes in the needle cards are large enough to allow a bit of play and the card is strong enough to take a bit of punishment then there is not all that great a problem.
    Laminating the things before cutting them out might help as well!
    I think I just might be on to something here, I`m thinking now more along the lines of creating dials based on original altimeters rather than just copy the dials on the aeroplane stands.
    They should still be compatable though.
    Just to give you a basic idea I`m thinking of basing them on these real instruments. Attachment 11290Attachment 11291
    Last edited by Rabbit 3; 04-09-2011 at 11:49.

Is there a firm in stock date for the flight stands yet?

Ed, should be the end of the month. Bryan is cutting the flame/smoke and rulers this weekend and will be ordering the acrylic for stands next week.

Ed, should be the end of the month. Bryan is cutting the flame/smoke and rulers this weekend and will be ordering the acrylic for stands next week.
    Thats great news Keith!

eslfox

Default Questions always questions

As this is my first time here, on this fourm.(which i found after i googled W O W.)I am very impressed with this site,and as my first question.Do you have a update on when the flight stands will be ready for sale i would love to get my hands on some of those standsAlso could a person place a order ahead of time,say 5 to 10 stands at a time,just a thought,thanks

Default Recommended Flight Stands

I'm Calling on the Powers that be for recommending flight stands for a balloon?? I have a Shapeway Balloon and before I go cutting, slicing, dicing and gluing on it, I would like some professional help on this one....Which one would y'all recommend for it??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by badlands122 View Post
    I'm Calling on the Powers that be for recommending flight stands for a balloon?? I have a Shapeway Balloon and before I go cutting, slicing, dicing and gluing on it, I would like some professional help on this one....Which one would y'all recommend for it??

Thanks
    aerodromeaccessories.com sells a nice one, but it is marked as out-of-stock right now. The site seems to be having some issues right now (every link redirects to the main page for me) but I was able to find it by doing a search for 'balloon' from the main page.

Quote Originally Posted by brdavis View Post
    aerodromeaccessories.com sells a nice one, but it is marked as out-of-stock right now. The site seems to be having some issues right now (every link redirects to the main page for me) but I was able to find it by doing a search for 'balloon' from the main page.
    Thank You Sir,, I will look into it.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Arizona (Otherwise known as Hell's back porch)
    Sorties Flown

I am having problems getting the custom base program to work. I am trying to design a custom Large Bomber base and it won't add in any additional arcs. I put the info in but nothing shows up. Even making modifications to existing arcs won't change. What's the problem?
    I need to design several custom bases for several different airplanes.

They will be back in stock around the end of the month. I've turned off back ordering in the store site until they have actually shipped to me.

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

On the subject of pegs, In my experience most model shops sell lengths of clear plastic rod in various diameters.
    All you would have to do is by a couple, cut them to fit, drill out the ends, then glue in a bit wire or a cut down paperclip in one end to make the pegs.
    Or if you must have clear pegs just use some thinner diameter rod.
    One rod would probably do to make enough for three or four models and some of larger diameter might be useful for making special wider heavy duty pegs for models like the Skytrex Staaken or Gotha.
    Last edited by Rabbit 3; 04-07-2011 at 03:20.

Users Country Flag

Name
    James
    Sorties Flown

Keith,

What are the chances of adding just the altitude rings to your product line?

Those could be cool Robert.

I have thought about releasing just the dials, but that would require the large altitude ring to also be a dial. The whole reason I got rid of my Litko bases and made my own was because of that very thing. It was always spinning around and never even stayed close to what you had put it on. I still might consider making them after all of my other products and projects are up on the site.

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Those could be cool Robert.

I have thought about releasing just the dials, but that would require the large altitude ring to also be a dial. The whole reason I got rid of my Litko bases and made my own was because of that very thing. It was always spinning around and never even stayed close to what you had put it on. I still might consider making them after all of my other products and projects are up on the site.
    An adhesive paper outside dial maybe? Or a Decal?
    Then you just have to make the two inner dials.
    Sneaky thought, If you printed the decal backwards for application to the underside of the base that would mean that it wouldn`t interfere so much with the info printed on the top of the WoW stand.

(Further Update on the paper disc idea.) After some more intensive playtesting, I`ve concluded that the idea of multiple paper discs is just unworkable.
    I have found however that a single paper disc with the altitude levels marked round the side, placed under the `0` peg actually works reasonably well to show the base flight level.
    You just designate the number facing the forward marker as the reading, or use a felt tip or something to mark the zero point on the stand.

It can be turned quite freely with the fingers or by rotating the peg above it without being too fiddly, a slightly larger diameter disk the same width as the base should be easier to read in the Mk2 version.

(Further update)
    I`ve had one of those `Eureka` moments!
    If the main disc is mounted on the UNDERSIDE of the WoW base rather than on top then it can use the central bush as the main pivot.
    It no longer interferes in any way with the flight pegs, rotates reasonably freely, can be seen and read through the transparent base while allowing the writing on top to still be visible and tends to remain firmly in place.
    The only downside is that the base has to be lifted off the table in order to reset it!
    It looks like the Mk II will consist of a bigger disc mounted on the underside to record altitude and a smaller one on top to show altitude counters to give compatibility with the Aeroplane Accessories stands.
    Last edited by Rabbit 3; 04-30-2011 at 02:50.

I am out of flight pegs, yet have more stands and minis. Since pegs are not available, does anyone know what size Litko posts will fit in the flight stands?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Skytrex Red Baron planes for sale (built)
    By baztaylor in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-16-2010, 05:21
  2. A Question About Flight Stands
    By John B in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-17-2010, 01:36
  3. Fixing flight stands-ideas?
    By afilter in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 07:34
  4. Flight Stands French Touch