Ares Games

Thread: 1/144 scale Heavy Bomber stands

Default 1/144 scale Heavy Bomber stands

Aerodrome Accessories offers a line of flight stands for select heavy bombers of the WWII era for those that like to play the game in 1/144 scale.

The current line includes:

B-24J Liberator

Maneuver Deck: Bc (fast maneuvers of C deck, cards 1-6)
    Damage Points: 39
    Damage types (S/L)
    1. B/A
    2. A/A

B-17G Flying Fortress

Image coming soon!

Damage Points: 42
    Damage types (S/L)
    1. B/A
    2. A/A

G4M Betty

Maneuver Deck: Bc (slow maneuvers of C deck, cards 1-6)
    Damage Points: 30
    Damage types (S/L)
    1. A/A
    2. C/A

Ki-21 Sally

Damage Points: 28
    Damage types (S/L)
    A/A

Avro Lancaster

Next in line to have a stand made!

Assembly Instructions

The heavy bomber stands do require some assembly. They are shipped with the detail etchings uncolored. I use crayons in black, red, green and blue to color in all the fire arcs and aircraft stats. I do this with the paper backing still on the base. This keeps from getting crayon smears on the back side of the base. Once all areas are colored in, take a paper towel or other soft cloth and just wipe the excess crayon off. You will end up with a base like this:

Go ahead and remove the paper backing now.

Next, you will need to sort out the clear pegs that were included for the gun locations. You will notice that there are two different sizes, 1cm and 1.5cm (or very close to those, they are hand cut and vary a little). The longer peg is for the turrets that have a 360 degree field of fire. The shorter ones are for all the other MG locations.

Start by super gluing the longer pegs into the turret locations. You only need a small bead of glue around the bottom edge of the peg. Slightly twist the peg back and forth as you insert it into the hole. This will help spread the glue out. If you use to much glue, you could glue the peg and base to your work surface, so be careful.

Now repeat the same process for the smaller pegs and you are done.

Aircraft Stats

For all of my bases, I do as much research on the firing arcs for all the guns as I can. The damage types are based on the formula that Andrea uses for official Dawn of War planes. Damage types are listed as short then long range.

For the maneuver decks used, I have come up with a code so that you know what official decks to use. Looking at the details of the Sally base above, you will see that I have the maneuver deck of Bc. The B indicates that it is a bomber and the c indicates that you should use the maneuvers of the C deck. A code of BB would indicate that you would use the maneuvers of the B deck (though there are no bases using this code yet).

To move the the bombers in a game, line up the maneuver card on the front of the base as per the normal rules. Since the bomber bases are so long, you will only be moving the black triangle at the front of the base to overlap the black arrow on the maneuver card. The front of the base will only move a few inches or so. I'll make a video of this later and post it.

I invite you to post any photos you have the bomber stands being used in a game as well as link to any missions you might have written up and posted in the Dawn of War section of the site.

arguss

Any news about the bombers bases????

They were discontinued over a year ago due to lack of sales. I will make new ones for the official models when they come out... those will be for 1/200 though.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Okay, I'm confused. These bomber bases are for 1/144 scale heavy bombers, right? But, above you state you are going to make 1/200. You're making both scales, correct? Not discontinuing the 1/144 bases?

No, the 1/144 stands did not sell very well so I dropped them. They are no longer being made or sold.

Once Ares releases the new Wings of Glory twin engine bombers, I'll do base for them like I have the Flight of Giant bases.

arguss

ohhh..... i really love 1/144 scale and it will be perfect to my models........ Know i will do my bases anyway...

tks for answer...

I notice the bomber base length is longer when compared to the fighter bases. Will the width be adjusted width of the bomber too? I ask this based on the Headroom cards being larger in both aspects for the bombers. Will this be the standard for the future?

The bases pictured above were done so that the gun points matched up with those on the 1/144 scale models. There were no cards made up for these, so they do not match any cards that I know of.

The bases for the official bomber minis will match the official cards/bases that come with them.

boomer-pete

what dia' rod are used to make the flight pegs?

Similar Missions

1. WW2 1/144 scale
    By gregbond77 in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-24-2010, 14:37
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-08-2010, 16:03
  3. Scratch builds, same scale as the cards. (pic heavy)
    By DentedHead in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 07-06-2010, 12:32
  4. about 1/144 Scale Heavy Bomber Stands
    By het in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-04-2010, 05:56
  5. If only in 144 scale!
    By richard m schwab in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-14-2010, 18:30