Ares Games

Thread: New movie

British Liberators that turn into Wellingtons when shot at by 109Es, strange accents.... I'll wait for it to come out on DVD.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Likewise!

To quote St Gregory,"Those are not Angles but Angels".

Maybe you guys should have been hired by the company to verify accuracy. Sorry I posted it.

Lots of different scenes went through that trailer so I couldn't make anything of it other than it looks like a good movie.

Thanks for sharing mate!

I am willing to give a movie the benefit of the doubt until I have seen it. Looks interesting!

Looks like an enjoyable two hours. Is this purely fictional or is it based on a true event?

It appears to be one of those movies you watch just to pick it apart.........................................

Thanks! Looks like a fun film! Most of my collection has some flaws but hey, they are still fun to watch! Loved the B-24 CGI - don't have many RAF colors on the B-24, might have to make a few the bomber build boys into Brits! Just for fun of course!

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by James Denberger View Post
    It appears to be one of those movies you watch just to pick it apart.........................................
    Like most Hollywood efforts really.
    It`s probably a bit harsh to judge a film just on the trailer but I fond myself asking why the US Army Air Corps are fllying B-24`s in British markings?

I don't mind a bit of latitude in Movies, after all they have a budget just like the rest of us. I treat it like going to the theatre and suspend disbelief for a time. Just sit back relax and enjoy the ambiance.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

it is actually a south african students first film ,made i believe for his university project . Its filmed in south africa hence the accents ,i think the wellingtons appear earlier in the movie and the trailers not spliced together that well in fact if you google it there are lot more clips and reviews ,but the only good comment about it is that the opening titles and score are excellent heres the directors blog http://angeloftheskiesmovie.blogspot.co.uk

and here is a student review http://www.citypress.co.za/entertain...hes-and-burns/

Any idea what this film has to do with angels?

I see a British day raid and a SS hunting party.

Funny, maybe we'll see this in Germany on DVD.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Maybe you guys should have been hired by the company to verify accuracy. Sorry I posted it.
    C'mon Bob, we're the guys who used to bitch about the accuracy of the armour in the "Battle of the Bulge" film and every other war film since then.

I'm sure I will buy it when it comes out, because apart from the errors, the B24s look bloody good!

Quote Originally Posted by itchy View Post
    it is actually a south african students first film ,made i believe for his university project . Its filmed in south africa hence the accents ,i think the wellingtons appear earlier in the movie and the trailers not spliced together that well in fact if you google it there are lot more clips and reviews ,but the only good comment about it is that the opening titles and score are excellent heres the directors blog http://angeloftheskiesmovie.blogspot.co.uk

and here is a student review http://www.citypress.co.za/entertain...hes-and-burns/
    Given that it's a student's film, I'd say it's a pretty darn good effort. I know I couldn't have done anything more than stick figures, if someone told me to make a movie........even in college. lol (but I never missed a call at the campus pub)

Thanks for the link, just going to enjoy it and not think too deeply.

I am reminded of when the LotR films came out. As a self-proclaimed Tolkien buff, I find the films exasperating in some points, and infuriating in others. As someone sitting down to watch a movie for a few hours, or day in the case of the trilogy, I am ecstatic. Similarly, I enjoy all the cheesy WWII films from the '60s and '70s because, in the end, they are entertainment on a part of history I appreciate and enjoy; they're not documentaries. It's like the abstraction we make in WoG, a bit; we sacrifice some measure of realism for the playability of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I am reminded of when the LotR films came out... //
    // ...It's like the abstraction we make in WoG, a bit; we sacrifice some measure of realism for the playability of the game.
    Well said.

Looks like fun. And for a student project, very good work.

One of my favourite films (and a cult classic) is also a student film

Well I know what you are saying about the bulge movie. Only the M-24's were accurate as to who used them but I guess it would be hard to find King Tigers for the Germans to use. As you stated I knew the British used B-24's but not in the number as in the movie. Just thought the air scenes were something to see. I also have to say that was the one reason I got the Red Baron just for the air combat scenes. Sorry if I sounded B..... by my comments. To many good people in here for me to offend anyone.

No offense taken at all Bob. And yes, as with the Red Baron I'll get it for the combat footage.

... To many good people in here for me to offend anyone.

Hey, Bob!

Do you think this well-read gang of drunk pilots will not find out the little details and check every thread?

Every trailer has to pass our censorship.

That has nothing to do with the one that posted the link.

So chin up! - Get yourself a drink and thank you for posting this info.

South African pilots piloted the B-24 during the support operation for the insurgence in Warschau 1944.

They started from Italy and suffered high losses to the German Nachtjagd planes.

It was a wild mixture of pilots (from Poland, Kanada, Australia, etc... as fas As I remember).

Sorry guys. Yes I have to remember how many people in here know a lot. I didn't pay much attention to the planes but just the action. Now I would be the same with a movie that has tanks in it. An example is a movie about Germans on the Eastern front in a Stug III which is actually a Su85. Another was GLORY where when they were issued their rifles they had to read off the serial numbers. ACW guys just talked how that was incorrect, which was true. Except the state of Mass did put numbers on their rifles. I guess we all see things and get picky. I know we can all go on about such things. I should not read so much into how all reply.

For what it is not bad looks intersting enough but I will wait for dvd

David is that Dark Star?
    Yes, it is

Pretty awesome cult movie. I have it on VHS. Haven't watched it in some time. I have to search for it, pull out my VHS and watch it some weekend. Who fights a beach ball alien with a broom and also in another scene grows a beard?

I have this "tank movie" with the faked StuG, too.

German Titel: Die Galgenvögel (gallows birds)

Original: Wheels of terror

I like it.

Of course it is and a great cult classic...."I always said the Captain was a lucky b#@Ł$%d" .

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Yes, it is
    See you on the Dark Side......

I guess we all see things and get picky.
    I get this way about movies that take place in Chicago. I also get this way when people talk about Olive Garden as an Italian restaurant. It might be an enjoyable place to eat for some, but it is not Italian.

This is also one of the reasons I try to see films before reading the novels they are based on. I want to enjoy the film in its own right, and not be making constant comparisons to the book.

Eye candy. Similar, in some ways, to Red Baron... another pretty movie, despite its shortcomings.

That looks good may have to give it a try - cannot possibly be worse than the Red Baron movie - NEVER have I been so utterly disappointed in a film before....

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I get this way about movies that take place in Chicago. I also get this way when people talk about Olive Garden as an Italian restaurant. It might be an enjoyable place to eat for some, but it is not Italian.
    I have some friends who are Australian. I used to see them once a year at an event that they always attended and I always worked. One year, we went to an Outback Steakhouse for dinner. They found it greatly amusing.

Similar Missions

1. 8th AF Movie
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-12-2013, 13:30
  2. Movie
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-22-2013, 09:32
  3. New Movie: Into the White
    By Kaiser in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 5