Ares Games

Thread: New airplane-cards should appear in booster pack as well

Users Country Flag

Name
    Sijbrand
    Sorties Flown

Default New airplane-cards should appear in booster pack as well

I am curious about where the average WoW/WoG enthusiast stands, concerning the restricted availability of new airplane-cards.

I like to play with mini's just as well as the next guy, but I neither have the desire, nor pockets deep enough to buy every single mini that becomes available. As a result I strive towards owning one, maybe two mini's of each single type of aircraft. The specific pilot/armament with which I want to fly a mission during games, is first and foremost indicated by a card of the appropriate aircraft type, chosen from my collection. Everyone who has felt the urge to fly an Ukranian Fokker D.VII without bothering to repaint his Goering-mini, knows how it works.

In a nuttshell: I don't need all the mini's but I do like to get hold of all officially published airplane-cards.

This has become an increasing problem ever since the 'generic' Breguets suddenly appeared with specified pilots when series 4 of the mini's was produced.
    With the forthcoming release of the Halberstadt CL.II and the Albatros D.II, both being aircrafts for which there has not been a prior release of (a multitude of) airplane-cards, this exclusivity of airplane-cards is really starting to annoy me.

Furthermore I wonder if Ares is willing to produce sufficient series of the Albatros D.II mini's (or any other aircraft type) to ensure that we have an equal variety of pilots, armaments and nation-affiliations available for this aircraft as we currently have at our disposal for, by example, the SPAD VII.
    In my oppinion Ares should reconsider their decision to abandon the concept of airplane-card booster packs. How do other people feel about this?

Even though a play WOG with miniatures I also have all the cards. I collected card sets in multiples for some extra manuever decks. I would also like to see more cards of aircraft produced and maneuver decks.

Cards for different pilots can be found here on the site and made almost to request by several of our members. So for me, a need to buy them from Ares there is not.

If Ares decides to produce any form of booster packs, I would pick them up. I would do this for play, as well as the joy of collecting. I have a growing appreciation for historical planes. For example, I could use any mix of Sopwith Triplanes in a game, but I would love to have an accurately painted set, cards or minis - actually both, representing Collishaw's Black Flight.

I am still picking up booster sets whenever I see them, just for the extra decks. I would much rather have the originals than my own concoctions, just for aesthetic reasons. So I would welcome any such move that would allow me to replace decks or plane cards with the real thing. Nevertheless, I am still extremely beholden to the members here who design the custom cards for me.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I also use the custom cards but I can never seem to get them to print in the right size and they never look as good as Ares.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I am still picking up booster sets whenever I see them, just for the extra decks.
    I'm a fan of extra plane cards and maneuver decks as well. As they are becoming increasingly difficult to find, I share the concern of others for those new to the hobby.

I would happily drop some coin for additional cards/decks.

What I would support would be for Ares to start selling maneuver decks, especially when they change the decks on a plane.

I would dearly love more Booster packs!

I have the ability to create my own decks, but I would very much prefer to buy Official Decks.

Especially L Decks... I have a bunch of DVIIs, but not a single Official L Deck...

Quote Originally Posted by wargamer View Post
    What I would support would be for Ares to start selling maneuver decks, especially when they change the decks on a plane.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by PFactorDave View Post
    I would dearly love more Booster packs!

I have the ability to create my own decks, but I would very much prefer to buy Official Decks.

Especially L Decks... I have a bunch of DVIIs, but not a single Official L Deck...
    While I have a couple official L-decks, I don't have enough of any of the decks given the number of planes I have (same thing goes for bases, which was why I was just looking at AA's). Now, I could, as mentioned before, scan the decks and print them for home use, but the amount of ink I would use, and the amount of time it would take, doesn't make it particularly cost effective when compared to an $8 booster pack.

Booster packs with plane cards and extra manouver decks would be nice

Guys, the thread is about officially printed plane cards... not maneuver decks. Please try and keep the thread on topic.

Staying on topic Aye. I don't think it is going to happen at all; since it seems the business model now is different, not a card oriented game but rather a model oriented game.

The multiple cards for aircraft were Nexus, not Ares. And as Ares seems to have zero interest in supporting the competition (Shapeways and other model producers) by providing them with cards for this game, that would argue you are not going to get official aircraft cards unless Ares produces the model.

Quote Originally Posted by Sijpe View Post
    I am curious about where the average WoW/WoG enthusiast stands, concerning the restricted availability of new airplane-cards.

I like to play with mini's just as well as the next guy, but I neither have the desire, nor pockets deep enough to buy every single mini that becomes available. As a result I strive towards owning one, maybe two mini's of each single type of aircraft. The specific pilot/armament with which I want to fly a mission during games, is first and foremost indicated by a card of the appropriate aircraft type, chosen from my collection. Everyone who has felt the urge to fly an Ukranian Fokker D.VII without bothering to repaint his Goering-mini, knows how it works.

In a nuttshell: I don't need all the mini's but I do like to get hold of all officially published airplane-cards.

This has become an increasing problem ever since the 'generic' Breguets suddenly appeared with specified pilots when series 4 of the mini's was produced.
    With the forthcoming release of the Halberstadt CL.II and the Albatros D.II, both being aircrafts for which there has not been a prior release of (a multitude of) airplane-cards, this exclusivity of airplane-cards is really starting to annoy me.

Furthermore I wonder if Ares is willing to produce sufficient series of the Albatros D.II mini's (or any other aircraft type) to ensure that we have an equal variety of pilots, armaments and nation-affiliations available for this aircraft as we currently have at our disposal for, by example, the SPAD VII.
    In my oppinion Ares should reconsider their decision to abandon the concept of airplane-card booster packs. How do other people feel about this?

I agree with wargamer. Are has made it very clear that they are making a miniatures game, not a card game I don't see any way that official cards are going to be made to be sold on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    I agree with wargamer. Are has made it very clear that they are making a miniatures game, not a card game I don't see any way that official cards are going to be made to be sold on their own.
    I agree.

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    Then again, I hope that once Ares themselves get their own on-line shop set up it will become easier to by individual game components direct from them if they happen to have been lost or damaged for whatever reason.
    I myself could do with a replacement SE5a stand base as the original for my Bishop model was delivered in three seperate bits as the geniuses I bought it from thought it was a smart idea to send it through the post in a flat bubblewrap envelope!

While its probably not cost effective for Ares to sell and market the old style card only booster packs through retailers surely doing what I`m suggesting would make for better customer relations, make them a bit of extra money on the side and end the current complaining about the lack of availability of some cards and decks.
    It is after all a good way of getting rid of old or slightly imperfectly manufactured stock after all!

Ares does want to make replacement parts available via their site. The two problems they are having are actual spare parts on hand and how to keep people from using the parts department from buying things they do not want to sale as a product, i.e. maneuver decks.

Currently an email to them will get you a replacement part if something in broken or missing. This would not apply to the old Nexus products, as they are not producing them. You could get lucky and they might have an old Nexus item that you need laying around however. So it is always worth an email.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit 3 View Post
    Then again, I hope that once Ares themselves get their own on-line shop set up it will become easier to by individual game components direct from them if they happen to have been lost or damaged for whatever reason.
    I myself could do with a replacement SE5a stand base as the original for my Bishop model was delivered in three seperate bits as the geniuses I bought it from thought it was a smart idea to send it through the post in a flat bubblewrap envelope!

While its probably not cost effective for Ares to sell and market the old style card only booster packs through retailers surely doing what I`m suggesting would make for better customer relations, make them a bit of extra money on the side and end the current complaining about the lack of availability of some cards and decks.
    It is after all a good way of getting rid of old or slightly imperfectly manufactured stock after all!

I did not know that replacement parts might be available direct from Ares.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Sijbrand
    Sorties Flown

I don't think that any such replacement-department would buy this story: "There has been a minor mishap with my cards for Stackard, Coadou, Madon, von Hippel and Jacobs. Would you be so kind as to provide me with new copies?"

I am aware that Ares has built its business-model around producing mini's only. But I, for one, will not be lured in buying mini's just for the sake of getting exclusive airplane-cards. And thus, if all else fails, I will resort to printing my own copies of airplane-cards. But it would feel like committing unneccessary plagiary because I would be more than happy to buy these cards if they'd be available in a booster pack.
    Ares is shooting in its own foot if they persist in not cornering this part of the market. They've already spent good money on developing and printing the sought after product, yet they choose to ignore the obviously excisting demand from consumers.
    This is soviet-like arrogance (we will decide what the people want), made possible through copyright law (the free market is not allowed to prove our assessment of the peoples wishes wrong).

Ares has every right to conduct their business as they see fit, I am merely pointing out the folly of their assumption that it's profitable for them to shy away from a substantial, albeit specific, group of gamers/collectioners.

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

To be fair on Ares I suspect that the demand for things like individual out of print aircraft cards or maneuver decks is proportionally rather small and they are more concerned in getting new product out there rather than filling in gaps.
    They clearly intend to fill in most of the gaps anyway with future releases and, unless there are piles of old Nexus copies of old plane cards, the `G`,`I`,`E` or bomber decks gathering dust in some warehouse somewhere they just don`t have the product to supply us.
    In the end "The customer is always right" is only part of the story, there is also the logistics and supply end of things to consider as well when looking at the profitability in supplying anything.

In the end whats the real problem?
    If I want to fly a specific type of plane thats covered by Ares then fine, I just go and by the relevent model and if I want it in a version different from that provided then I either use my modeling skills to repaint the original model or alternatively substitute one from another source using the stand and card deck supplied.
    If the problem is cost then are `card only` packs realy all that cheaper since the cost would be about the same as a plane pack and inevitably there are going to be items in it that you don`t really want or need.
    Also, there is the point that unless I want to entirely play `card only` I still need to get a mini from somewhere!
    Last edited by Rabbit 3; 12-08-2013 at 08:36.

Booster packs like the ones NEXUS made would be a great addition in my mind. The official plane cards would be nice to have even before models were made. Would give people an idea of what the planes would be like. Example would be the Lancaster & B-17's before the models come out. Would be sort of like bait to get you hooked on playing with the cards then adding the models.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Sijbrand
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit 3 View Post
    In the end whats the real problem?
    Hello Robert
    The problem I wanted to adress here, didn't concern out of print aircraft cards or maneuver decks. The thing that bothers me is the fact that Ares is now developing and producing new airplane cards which can be obtained only as a package deal with a model.

In your post you actually raise a good point that allows me to state my case more clearly. Let's assume for arguments sake that I was a cards-only player: how am I going to get an official copy of the 'Schwarze/Schumm Halberstadt CL.II' card next year without getting a mini that I have no want or use for?
    Re-selling the mini without its accompanying airplane card would seriously diminish its value and I would have to initially spent about 15 dollar for a single airplane card whilst hoping to see some part of my investment getting back to me through Ebay.
    Thus, from the perspective of a cards-only player, I would find it easy to see the cost effectiveness of a booster-pack with a variety of at least 10 airplane cards at a price point of 15 dollar and a couple of maneuver decks to boot.
    Considering the issue of manufacturing; most of the cards I have been referring to are currently in print. And from a logistical point of view; the only thing that needs to be added to the current set-up is a separate (blister)packaging line at the printworks.

I honestly believe (backed by some of the replies to this thread) that there is a market for booster-packs and that Ares is just being silly in ignoring that.

Wishful thinking. Nexus is defunct, gone, bye bye. Ares is working models not cards. As a working business model, they have zero incentive to make penny profits when they can make dollar profits.

Similar Missions

1. Immelmann booster set aircraft cards
    By Boney10 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-09-2012, 02:23
  2. Booster Pack?
    By costampede in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-20-2011, 21:41
  3. DoW Booster Pack?
    By costampede in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 5