Ares Games

Thread: Flight Stand Pegs

Default Flight Stand Pegs

Hi Pilots,

As a lead up to my getting into the Wings Of Glory WW1 game I was doing some reading about the system. One "issue" that people seem to talk about was how the flight stand pegs that hold up the airplane can become loose and fall apart (for example when you pickup your airplane to move it). Is this a common problem that many players have experienced?

I did see some players decided to glue together the pegs and I see that Aerodrome Accessories sell a product called Altitude Glue that makes the pegs less likely to become apart. I also see that CORSEC Engineering sells an after market accessory called the Omni-Stand that does away with the pegs all together.

Do you use any of these approaches to tackle the loose peg issue?

Many thanks in advance for your opinions.

Hi Richard and welcome to the Drome.
    The looseness of the pegs can be quite frustrating as you have said, especially when moving the models.
    I have used a couple of methods to counter this.
    First the use of the altitude glue that the AA sells, this works quite well and allows the pegs to fit snugly together without coming totally apart when lifting the aircraft.
    Another solution I use was to coat the peg with several layers of clear nail polish , this also worked, but takes several layers and not as quick or as convenient as the glue.
    I also tried using some PVA glue but this was less successful.

Hi Richard, welcome to the Drome. I find the Altitude Glue on AA works really good, I also have sets of four pegs glued together. It depends if you use altitude rules, I do and I find when you get up to 8 - 10+ pegs, you end up with peg bend, that's why I stuck four together, it helps but not perfect. Hope that helps mate.
    Trev

I also use the altitude peg glue sold on this site by AA; it works well enough for me.

I’m a little biased since I sale the glue on AA, but as a player I had peg issues for many years and resorted to super gluing some of my pegs together. While that fixed the problem of the pegs coming apart from each other, it did not stop the bases from falling off when you picked them up. I also did not like permanently gluing my pegs as you lose the ability to easily get the correct number under the plane. The next option I tried was the clear nail polish. It does work, but takes a long time to dry, wears off over time and stinks. Lol When some other members showed me this stay tacky glue, I fell in love with it. It solves all of the issues I had. It’s the best solution that I’ve found and that is why I’ve made it easily assessable to the masses.

I had proposed two new pegs to Andrea... both four-high "super pegs" like the big ones in Balloon and Bomber packs.

The first would be regular Scout/Fighter diameter for "mid altitude" encounters, and the other would marry the pins and sockets of the Scout peg with the fatter build of the Balloon/Bomber peg--the idea here is that more surface area in contact with the base, and at each joint, will help reduce the wobble and "Peg Bend" in a high-altitude stack. There are two real problems with High Level WoG, contact-area in the joints and number of them, and the latter option simultaneously attacks both issues--I did a test with one of my B-25s, and while sixteen standard pegs had intolerable bends, four of the big pegs for the same altitude brought it within tolerable levels.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and help, it is much appreciated!

I am beginning to think that the AA Altitude Glue is the best approach short of doing away with the pegs altogether.

I am also thinking that I will get the AA Advanced Cockpit. It has a dial for altitude so that I don't have to keep changing the height of the pegs when I climb or dive.

Maybe using Altitude dials would solve the problem, too?

http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/...ght-stand.html

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I’m a little biased since I sale the glue on AA, but as a player I had peg issues for many years and resorted to super gluing some of my pegs together. While that fixed the problem of the pegs coming apart from each other, it did not stop the bases from falling off when you picked them up. I also did not like permanently gluing my pegs as you lose the ability to easily get the correct number under the plane. The next option I tried was the clear nail polish. It does work, but takes a long time to dry, wears off over time and stinks. Lol When some other members showed me this stay tacky glue, I fell in love with it. It solves all of the issues I had. It’s the best solution that I’ve found and that is why I’ve made it easily assessable to the masses.
    Does the glue have a shelf life?

I've been using it for about 2.5 years now and it is still fresh in the bottle and still tacky on the pegs. I've done hundreds of pegs and the bottle is still 75%-80% full.

That's why my next order will contain one bottle of Dr. Hajj's altitude-peg-super-glue.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I also use the altitude peg glue sold on this site by AA; it works well enough for me.
    Best I have found

I have occasionally use a VERY SMALL amount of Blue Tack/poster putty and this works fine, doesn't dry out, is completely reusable. But, you must be careful not to use too much or you can inadvertently break the peg.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    That's why my next order will contain one bottle of Dr. Hajj's altitude-peg-super-glue.
    Yep, my next order will have some of that voodoo glue too.

Thread necromacy

Any chance the altitude glue will become available again?

Some Thread Necromancy is fine, when in a good cause like this........................................

Ah, hell............................

Name:  thread_necromancer_card_3.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  43.7 KB

now I've got it, I just HAVE to use it!

Sorry.......................
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Since I have more pegs than I will ever use at one time, I glued a half dozen as 2 through 6 pegs high. I then use a little Elmer's glue to coat the pegs themselves. (Sorry, Ken.) Since I don't normally play with altitude rules this works fine for me.

Similar Missions

1. WGFB: Stand, The: The Final Flight of Frank Luke, Jr.
    By predhead in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-21-2013, 10:00
  2. Flight stand sizes
    By Baxter in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2012, 08:17
  3. Looking for FLIGHT STAND for Fokker D.VII
    By Super Handley in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-07-2011, 10:09
  4. Aerodrome Flight Stand Markings?