Ares Games
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hangar Tray Update

As long as you bathe...we're okay!

we all really do appreciate your efforts!

Quote Originally Posted by skyking20 View Post
    As long as you bathe...we're okay!
    With the new laser, sometimes that's not a good idea either

Sleep is for the weak. (on a 'T' shirt from a local coffee shop)

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Have you not realized yet that I don't sleep?
    Maybe it's time to have a word with Clipper and see where he recruits his elves from?

Quote Originally Posted by Archidamus View Post
    Maybe it's time to have a word with Clipper and see where he recruits his elves from?
    Oh, I know where his elves come from... the other end of the candle.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Any chance of trays being shipped before the middle of Feb?

Mike
    I'll get them out as soon as I can, but I think that will be the earliest.
    Keith,
    I have had to cancel my attendance at GottaCon for this year. So, the next deadline is Enfilade 2014 in May.

Mike

I wanted to give everyone a quick update on these. The additional sample foam took longer to get in and I've ran into some issues cutting them on the laser that I did not encounter while doing the test cuts. For the test cuts I was just cutting a single shape out of the foam, pulling it out of the laser and separating the two parts. This gave a vary smooth inside wall. However, when trying to cut a complete tray in one go, the two parts (cavity and blank) are melting back together in some spots. This means the blank can not be removed with out ripping the refused sections and making for an ugly inside wall. I've been talking with some other laser people and have some ideas to try out this week.

At this point I don't have a new estimate as to when these will go into full production. I'm hopeful that one of these ideas will work. If not, I may be back to looking for a source for the type of foam shown in the black/blue and black/red photos on page 1. I'll keep you guys updated as I progress. As always, if you have any questions please let me know and if anyone would rather have a refund, just email me your Order number and details at colhajj@wingsofwar.org and I'll get you sorted out. Sorry again for the delays with these.

Wim

Suggestions: What about using a separating medium such as non-stick parchment paper used in the oven for baking? It is heat resistant.

Wim, the parts that are melting back to gather are from the same piece, so I can't place anything between them.

Hi Keith,
    thanks for the bases-rest of order,all received in good condition.

Wouldn't think of asking for a refund. You do such a good job on these, they're definitely worth the wait.

Hey guys,

I've been away from the site for a while, so forgive me if this is the wrong thread to ask.

How are the trays coming along? I just got series 4 (or series 6) heck, I don't know, it's hard to keep track. Whatever series has the Bristol and Halberstadt. I'd like to get some trays made. I tried the accessory shop, but nothing was listed, so I thought maybe we had to place an order with Oberst Hajj directly or something. can anyone guide me?

This thread has the latest info on the trays.

I've got one more easy fix to try before I have to move on to more desperate solutions... like vortex tubes. lol

Do not go with Vortex tubes they only work on TV!

The kind I'm talking about also work in the machining industry.

Keith,

Any chance you have a preorder or mailing list available for the trays? I don't want to miss out when they become available.

Any current updates? My planes need their hangars, the weather is taking its toll on the canvas

I've got one last option to try on the current foam I want to use. If this does not work, I'm going to have to find a different kind of foam. I've already been trying to find a source for thicker foam like the black foam in phtos 4-7 of the first post. Unfortunately, I've not found it for less than about $9 per tray sized piece. Obviously, that's too expensive for our needs. I may end up having to go back to the softer foam that all miniatures trays are made out of I should be able to keep the much higher quality red and blue bottoms though.

Finding the right type of foam and the best source for it always takes a long time to sort out. As always, anyone tired of wait and message me for a refund at any time. You guys should know I'm not going to give up on this project as I need trays for lots of my own minis as well!!

I've got one last option to try on the current foam I want to use. If this does not work, I'm going to have to find a different kind of foam. I've already been trying to find a source for thicker foam like the black foam in phtos 4-7 of the first post. Unfortunately, I've not found it for less than about $9 per try sized piece. Obviously, that's too expensive for our needs. I may end up having to go back to the softer foam that all miniatures trays are made out of I should be able to keep the much higher quality red and blue bottoms though.
    Finding the right type of foam and the best source for it always takes a long time to sort out.
    Does the same go for SGN wave 1 ships, or is that a separate issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed2 View Post
    Does the same go for SGN wave 1 ships, or is that a separate issue?
    That's a separate, but related issue. I'm not able to cut this denser foam in the 3" thickness that the ships require. So for those it's either a completely different type of foam, or outsourcing them completely.

I found a company that looks like it might work out price wise for the foam. I've requested samples to be sent so I can test cutting it. More to follow.

Thumbs up

Hope it will be good news Keith. Need more hanger space!

No problem, just let me know when I can order!

I love my old trays and I haven't found anything better than yours, in my opinion.

Do we have any update on the trays - I only ask because I am casting around for solutions to replace my 'home-grown' solutions.

Actually a Gotha-Caproni-Balloons solution would be nice as well
    Last edited by Biggles downunder; 07-01-2014 at 00:58.

I have finally exhausted all options for cutting the new style foam (photo #2 in first post) locally I've also not been able to find a source that can supply me the other new foam type (photo #4 in first post) in the thickness that we need

What this means is that I'll have to go back to the standard style foam that we are all used to (photo #1 in first post. (Unless one of you guys have access to a water jet cutter)). I will still be able to use the red and blue bottom foams pictured in photos 5 & 6 of the first post. These will still make for a better storage tray then I've offered in the past, just not as good as I would have like to offer you guys.

I'll be gathering up the info needed to order in both types of foam and making those calls shortly. Just so things don't go to smoothly after finally settling on a way forward, my work is looking to send me to the Old World for several weeks here really soon.

Bottom line, I'm still a ways out from going into full production on these, but there is light at the end of the tunnel now. As always, anyone wanting/needing a refund should contact me directly.

Once again I thank each of you for your understanding and patience with this project.

Just some quick photos for you guys...

Old style tray "supporting" a cordless drill:

New style top foam (no bottom foam!) supporting that same drill:

As you can see, the new foam is much denser, but it's actually smoother in feel than the old style.
    nice balancing act!!! howd you manage that, MAGIC??!?!?!? i think you are a wizard and must be burned at the stake!!!!

so how much will these trays run and what kind of carry options are there and how much do they runs. also will you have to know all of my individual planes or is there a generic option available?

Hi Phillip,

Did you get a chance to checkout my old style Hangars at Origins? All of mine planes were in them and Ken and Karl have them as well.

Final price on the new trays have not been determined yet, but they will be in the neighborhood of $12-$15 each. I have 2 "stock" Hangars designed to hold each of the Series (one tray for the Central Powers and one for the Entente). I also have "repaint" trays that hold 6 of one type of plane. Finally, I will also offer custom trays were you can tell me which planes you want on a tray.

Bag options are pretty open actually. The Hangars are 7.5x15 (or is that 7.5x13, can't remember now lol), which is pretty much the standard size for miniature storage. Army Transport, Blue Force and the new line from Battle Foam will all work. Once I get the actual Hangars in full swing, I'll be working on sorting out an AA bag again (the last source became to unreliable and expensive). I've got an inside man over in Korea right now that has a line on a company that can make them for me.

Hi Phillip,

Did you get a chance to checkout my old style Hangars at Origins? All of mine planes were in them and Ken and Karl have them as well.

Final price on the new trays have not been determined yet, but they will be in the neighborhood of $12-$15 each. I have 2 "stock" Hangars designed to hold each of the Series (one tray for the Central Powers and one for the Entente). I also have "repaint" trays that hold 6 of one type of plane. Finally, I will also offer custom trays were you can tell me which planes you want on a tray.

Bag options are pretty open actually. The Hangars are 7.5x15 (or is that 7.5x13, can't remember now lol), which is pretty much the standard size for miniature storage. Army Transport, Blue Force and the new line from Battle Foam will all work. Once I get the actual Hangars in full swing, I'll be working on sorting out an AA bag again (the last source became to unreliable and expensive). I've got an inside man over in Korea right now that has a line on a company that can make them for me.
    i glanced at them a bit but frankly not as much as i should have, i was captivated by all the a/c ! thats good news as keeping them in the original boxes in a gaming bag isnt working too well of late. ive been looking into storage options.

also when do you think youll be offering the multi piece fire and smoke markers?

Keith,
    Enfilade 2014 is fading in my memory (thankfully there are pictures on the Forum), and BottosCon is rapidly approaching. I have been saving money for hangars for a long while now, but I need something soon.

So, do I go looking for a kludge, or is there some hope of a more professional solution?

PS: I start building my own 15-ish October.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Mike, I hope to have really good news for everyone later this week.

Great! The news that we're about to get some news is pretty good news all by itself.

Hurray!!!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian (Grey)
    Sorties Flown

All good news, especially as I have been looking for just this sort of thing (as my collection grows). I will be watching (& always learning what works).

Im also very interested in the trays..... the collection is getting to the point that it is drawing the attention of the

Herr Oberst:
    As your re-doing the trays, could you please redesign the cutouts at the nose section for full width propellers? Not only for those who are swapping out with propeller discs, but I discovered that the new Rolands don't fit in the old tray. They have a fixed prop, and you cut out the nose area on the old tray for a rotating prop, in the vertical position.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Okay, time for a little good news. The manufacture that I used some time ago to make these out of the old foam is now back up and firing on all cylinders. I’ve also sent them samples of the new top foam that I wanted to use, and they stock that as part of their normal supply!

They don’t stock the same type of foam I wanted to use as the bottom part of the tray, but they do have the top foam in grey for the tops and red and blue for the bottoms. I’ve ordered a sample tray from them just to make sure everything is as it should be. I’m expecting that sample sometime this week or next. As long as that checks out (and I’m sure it will ), the only other thing to sort out with them before production can begin is prices.

One of the problems for me in getting these produced is the sheer number of different tray designs. Each new Series released by Ares requires two different trays. When they do a reprint, I have to add a third tray for each Series. Right now that’s 16 different trays for WGF alone… plus a couple of extras for the balloons and game components. In the past I’ve also offered what I referred to as Six Pack trays, one tray that held six of one type of plane. That added about 30 more tray designs. And we have not even gotten to the WGS minis! Lol

So, I’m looking at possible ways to cut down on the number of different tray designs I have to have cut. The obvious solution is to go to generic cutouts that will hold different planes. This is really the industry standard, but I always liked offering something just a little more custom.

Most of the Scout type planes would fit into a single sized cutout. Off the top of my head I think the Dr.I, Ni 17, and maybe the SS D.III could all fit into a smaller cutout. Those first two I think are too small to securely fit in the full sized scout cutout. I think I might need two sized for the two-seaters as well.

What are you guys’ thoughts on this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Herr Oberst:
    As your re-doing the trays, could you please redesign the cutouts at the nose section for full width propellers? Not only for those who are swapping out with propeller discs, but I discovered that the new Rolands don't fit in the old tray. They have a fixed prop, and you cut out the nose area on the old tray for a rotating prop, in the vertical position.
    Karl
    Good point Karl. The finger holes are also going to have to be enlarged with this new foam time… it does not compress easy enough. People with Wreck It Ralph hands would have a hard time getting them out if I did not enlarge those. lol

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kenji
    Sorties Flown

Hi Keith,

Thank you for sharing the good news.

In terms of your question I would be fine with a more generic cut-out approach to the tray design. Whatever helps to reduce the overall cost of the tray production but can still safely store the plane miniatures would be best in my opinion.

If we don't take this approach we might be forever creating new tray designs if/when Ares comes out with new plane designs.

Hope this helps.

P.S.
    Being a new player I have not seen the previous version of the Hanger Tray product. What would we use to store these foam cut-outs in please?

i like the generic type cut outs as that allows for rearranging types as new model come out. as for the dr1, nieuport, and ssdIII i think as long as the wings are secure theyd be alright in a slot for a bigger a/c.

the next question are you going to offer options that allow for card, base and peg storage with the respective a/c? call me OCD but i like to have them right there with the a/c ready to go instead having to pull out another tray.

This is good news. I'm also ok with a more generic cutout. Please leave the cutouts for the matching maneuver decks though. I've always bought your trays because you can keep the planes and maneuver decks together. I believe Battle Foam has a line that will fit the trays in a single stack. It's one of there lower lines but still very nice and miles ahead of "Army Transport" crap. Too bad Outrider Hobbies couldn't get their act together.

Two sizes for the single seater and 2 seaters are OK with me. Thanks for the update.

The Battle foam "Sword " line will fit the original trays in a single stack. Unless Keith comes up with something better, I'll probably stay with this bag. It's about 37.00 without any foam. Wait until Black Friday for the best pricing, maybe 20% off. Shipping tend to be high with these guys.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kenji
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Toothless9 View Post
    The Battle foam "Sword " line will fit the original trays in a single stack. Unless Keith comes up with something better, I'll probably stay with this bag. It's about 37.00 without any foam. Wait until Black Friday for the best pricing, maybe 20% off. Shipping tend to be high with these guys.
    Thank you Dom, I will check out the bag as you suggested.

I have been very happy with my Battlefoam P.A.C.K. bag for storage of Battletech minis -- they make a quality product. If their "Sword" line is of similar quality, I am sure I will like it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Toothless9 View Post
    Since I can no longer get the Force Operations bags, I was actually looking at carrying the Sword bags.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    the next question are you going to offer options that allow for card, base and peg storage with the respective a/c? call me OCD but i like to have them right there with the a/c ready to go instead having to pull out another tray.
    +1

I too prefer to keep the minis, stands, altitude pegs and cards all together in the same tray, rather than having to rummage into one place to get one thing, and another to get another, etc.

Sounds like there are at least a few of us that feel this way, nice to not be alone in my... er... compulsions

Oh, and I'm totally OK with generic cutouts, too. Makes for the most flexibility, least cost and most efficient use of space.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kenji
    Sorties Flown

Since I can no longer get the Force Operations bags, I was actually looking at carrying the Sword bags.
    That would be awesome Keith.

One stop shopping to get both the trays and the carrying bag

Quote Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
    +1

I too prefer to keep the minis, stands, altitude pegs and cards all together in the same tray, rather than having to rummage into one place to get one thing, and another to get another, etc.

Sounds like there are at least a few of us that feel this way, nice to not be alone in my... er... compulsions

Oh, and I'm totally OK with generic cutouts, too. Makes for the most flexibility, least cost and most efficient use of space.
    My trays have always, and always will have the cards and such in the same tray as the plane they go with

My trays have always, and always will have the cards and such in the same tray as the plane they go with
    sweet!!!!

The new sample arrived last week. The top foam turned out really nice. The bottom foam not so much It's not dense enough and was too elastic. You could push down on it with your finger and it would stretch out. It would return to it's shape as soon as I took my finger off it. But it just not up to the quality that I want on these. They are supposed to be cutting me a new sample using the same type of foam, but 50% denser this time. I'll report back when I have a chance to test that one out.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Hanger tray size?
    By 101radioman in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-15-2013, 18:30
  2. KR New Bomber Tray a Review
    By Boney10 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-08-2013, 10:21
  3. Wanted – Box and plastic tray for SPAD
    By Timmo UK in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds