Ares Games

Thread: How do you transport your models?

Default How do you transport your models?

Hi all.

After an ill-fated attempt to buy Keith's hangar trays from AA (apparently there are some issues with the manufacturer), I'm in the market for a carrying case for my planes.

I've been using the boxes to transport them around, which is all well and good, except that it's sometimes tricky to get the planes in and out of the boxes (I had an unfortunate incident awhile back with a Sopwith Triplane that ended with superglue and tears), and I have a LOT of boxes of planes now...

Does anyone have a good carrying case or other method of transport that they can recommend?

Take a look at the KR (Kaiser Rushforth) range.
    They have specific trays for WoG both 1 & 2 WW they also have a US outlet even though a
    UK firm.

http://www.krmulticase.com

You may find them of use until the Oberst is back in stock.
    I use KR cases for all my WoG aircraft both large and small and balloons

I used a half empty tissue box. I put the planes inside and wrapped them with the tissues so they would slide around

Those Kaiser Rushforth cases look pretty nice - thanks for the tip! I'll look into those further when I get home from work.

Slightly more expensive than the empty tissue box method (or the empty shoe box, I've used that one before), but possibly worth it given the ever-increasing size of my precious collection!

I get containers (there are lots to choise from) from K Mart, one container for the manouver decks, base and pegs, then line the other with foam for the planes. I tend to use smallish containers for the planes to rededuce the effect of collateral damage.

Here you go, some of my models in the KR trays, these fit inside the cardboard cases

The foam is soft but protects with no issues I have found. I sleeve all my cards and the foam has enough give in it so the cards do not curl
    Last edited by Boney10; 11-12-2013 at 15:42.

I've just ordered a couple of the cardboard boxes with pluck foam trays from Portable Warfare (one for WGS and one for SGN). It's a solution that should turn out very similar to Boney10's KR trays, but I'll try to take some photos when I receive them and get it sorted out.

FWIW, everything is in their original boxes, in an Adidas shoebox—snug and secure, just not very thematic (other than the Adidas founders being Nazi party members).

Horsepyre, have you pushed in the little bulges on the airplane pack inserts that hold the wings? If not, try that—the minis will still stay pretty protected, and be a lot easier to get in and out without risking any damage.

I use the KR system as well. I currently have the Kaiser4 transport bag and cases. Great stuff.

I've got already two cases from KR ; very good stuff.

Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 11-13-2013 at 03:52.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Sabol Army transporter for me.

Is the tube for your game mats Aaron?
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravey View Post
    Horsepyre, have you pushed in the little bulges on the airplane pack inserts that hold the wings? If not, try that—the minis will still stay pretty protected, and be a lot easier to get in and out without risking any damage.
    Indeed, ever since the Sopwith Triplane de-winging incident. It certainly helps, and is fine for the time being, but I think I'd prefer a case/trays.

You all have certainly given me plenty of recommendations to look into, thanks very much for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Is the tube for your game mats Aaron?
    Rob.
    Correct...Hobby Lobby $9.99

Quote Originally Posted by afilter View Post
    May I ask how many it will hold?
    Rob.

May I ask how many it will hold?
    Rob.
    1 easily, 2 if rolled tightly.

Cheers Aaron.
    That means I can get my four into two of those. Good return for $20. The tabs on my Ares boxes are just starting to tear after toing and froing to the shows this year.
    Rob.

1 easily, 2 if rolled tightly.
    I put one map per tube. Aaron mentioned these tubes awhile back in another thread. They are cheap and work great.

Thanks again mate!

Thanks for the tip, Aaron. Like Rob, I do not see the Ares boxes as a long-term solution due to the tabs. Off to Hobby Lobby tomorrow.

JUST WHEN YOU THOUGHT IT WAS SAFE! a while back my sister was given the gift of not one but two "STRAWBERRY GIFT PAK" that you can order from TV AD. after indulging, she was about to toss out the boxes. i nabed them an found each had soft foam to make sure the fruit wouldn't get bounced around to much. that when i got the idea > planes need to be packed in foam to travel, so with a knife and some pertly ungentlemanly words i got them installed and now have a case for each sides planes. now if i can only get someone to buy her MORE STRAWBERRY'S i might get my bombers packed also.....

There's this magical thing called "card models" you get with this ancient game called "Wings of War"
    Sometimes it sucks, though.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Thanks for the tip, Aaron. Like Rob, I do not see the Ares boxes as a long-term solution due to the tabs. Off to Hobby Lobby tomorrow.
    Well Eric, you won't believe it but Mrs Kyte and her Niece shipped us all off to Bath today to see the sights. When they popped into an art shop what did I see but said containers for Ł9.99. Needless to say I am the proud owner of two of them. And I expected this weekend to be a write off. Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by horsepyre View Post
    Indeed, ever since the Sopwith Triplane de-winging incident. It certainly helps, and is fine for the time being, but I think I'd prefer a case/tray
    Best thing that could happen to the Ahem "Sopwith Triplane" is to be de-winged, at least you can then do it properly, yes it still bugs me

KR cases and trays

Here's my current WGS collection (ETO anyway) in a Portable Warfare APC box. After I plucked out their little homes, I realized I could have fit them closer together for what I could have, rather than what I do have. But oh well—now I'm not tempted to fill in any empty spaces.

Neat solution to the problem Gravey.
    How did you apply the logo to the side of the box?
    Rob.

Very nice, Gravey.

I suggest about a dozen more. Filling all those empty spaces could provide years of enjoyment.

As the new cards are bigger I thought about something I use for other things and came up with this. I buy these at a sports card store. They are used to hold baseball cards and the like.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12-14-2013 12;35;05 PM.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	199.9 KB 
ID:	117580
    This is the company that makes the ones I bought.

Name:	DCP_6709.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	117581
    This is the open box.

Name:	DCP_6708.jpg 
Size:	167.7 KB 
ID:	117582
    All the parts before being put together.

Name:	DCP_6714.jpg 
Size:	142.7 KB 
ID:	117583
    The final product.

Size is 2" high/3 3/4" long/3" wide. About the same size as the box the planes come in but these are a hard plastic.
    Last edited by BobP; 12-14-2013 at 10:41.

I think this would work if you just wanted to transport just a few planes at a time. If you want to take all of your planes some of the other suggestions would be better.

Neat solution to the problem Gravey.
    How did you apply the logo to the side of the box?
    Rob.
    It's printed on a label and stuck on the box. There's a second label on top too.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Very nice, Gravey.

I suggest about a dozen more. Filling all those empty spaces could provide years of enjoyment.
    Tell me about it. I did buy a second box I was planning to use for Sails of Glory, but maybe I'll save it for my next WGS buying spree. :P

Gravey I do like you storage box. I have to check this out as it seems doesn't take up that much space. Thanks for the tip.

Similar Missions

1. transport planes
    By Kubajs in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-26-2014, 09:53
  2. Transport planes
    By Lino22 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2013, 21:41
  3. Transport Dilemma
    By bsmith13 in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 5