Ares Games
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VAPNARTAK

Default VAPNARTAK

Have we had any feedback from the show organisers as to whether we are getting a slot or slots for this show?

Apologies I can't remember who was chasing this up.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

I'm not sure Neil.
    After last year's failure to get in I was not aware that it had been followed up any further, unless Chris knows anything.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I thought we had a promise of an invite, can't remember if it was Chris at Derby that said something or someone else? I'll give Simon (The Dark Knight) a tinkle and see if he can shed light on it.

Neil
    Last edited by Lt. S.Kafloc; 11-01-2013 at 06:40.

Not aware about York, it was myself who spoke to Neil but that was Recon I think

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    I thought we had a promise of an invite, can't remember if it was Chris at Derby that said something or someone else? I'll give Simon (The Dark Knight) a tinkle and see if he can shed light on it.

Neil
    A dark night is not really going to shed much light on anything Neil, I stick with asking Simon.
    Rob.

I have been in contact most of the year and have sent off our tender (WGS) to the organiser and hope to hear from him before Christmas. I shall post when I know one way or the other.

Thanks for the update Simon. I hope it comes off. It was always a show I enjoyed visiting.
    Rob.

Simon, shifts willing and I still have a job, count me in to help.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Strangely Brown View Post
    I have been in contact most of the year and have sent off our tender (WGS) to the organiser and hope to hear from him before Christmas. I shall post when I know one way or the other.

lol just spotted this thread after starting a new one - I am in conversation with the York Wargames Society and am fairly hopeful of securing us a participation slot... will hopefully be speaking to them again over next day or so - Simon - who was it you were dealing with, don't want to lessen our chances with a double approach..

Good luck with this one.
    I know Simon,( strangely Brown) has tried a few times and when
    I mailed did not even get a reply

If it comes off I'm afraid I will not be able to do it as it clashes with my Regimental AGM.
    Rob.

Had a reply back from the organisers today. My bid did not make the selection stage.

However, it did get put into the short notice back up list.

I'll be interested to see the variety of air war participation games they've already selected....
    Last edited by Strangely Brown; 12-14-2013 at 16:24.

If I'm off that weekend Guzzi and I aim to have a look at Vapnartak. Perhaps we should send the organisers, not only of Vapnartak, a gucci little brochure of all our successes. Include pics and how professional our set ups are now. The range, periods, theatres and detail our games cover. But it would be nice to see just how many air war games they have. Their loss not ours. Roll on Triples.

Neil

PS: Thanks for all the hard work you've put in Simon. There's always next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangely Brown View Post
    Had a reply back from the organisers today. My bid did not make the selection stage.

However, it did get put into the short notice back up list.

I'll be interested to see the variety of air war participation games they put up....

At least you got a reply, which was more than I did... what is it with these guys? surely the more participation the better, or would they prefer people just to stand and watch a load of bores pontificate over whether or not a particular Napoleonic regiment is wearing the correct colour socks on the 6mm figures in front of them... thought the idea was for as many people to have as much fun as possible, thereby widening the appeal of the hobby.. Good god if there were many more like this everyone will be either playing with space marines or dying of boredom...

rant over..

what would they do if we put a few mats down in the bar and had our own game?
    Last edited by Hedeby; 12-14-2013 at 16:27. Reason: bad spelling

Thanks for the effort on your part chaps. It is a shame that the organizers of the show are so short sighted.
    Maybe we should send a representative to the show, to see if it is up to the standard that we expect before we commit to put on one of our games. After all we don't want to sell ourselves short, do we.
    As far as the idea of a brochure goes Neil, maybe with all the talent on the site, we could do a presentation disc to send out to clubs. We could even include some movie footage from a show or two.
    Rob.

Why not just do it. I'm up for it. push two tables together 1 mat 4 planes and get on with it. If we're told to pack up and move on we do and find another corner to set up and play in. See how much interest we generate.

Neil
    (I'll even bring the banner stand. We might win smallest ever presentation/participation game, if they have one).

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    At least you got a reply, which was more than I did... what is it with these guys? surely the more participation the better, or would they prefer people just to stand and watch a load of bores pontificate over whether or not a particular Napoleonic regiment is wearing the correct colour socks on the 6mm figures in front of them... thought the idea was for as many people to have as much fun as possible, thereby widening the appeal of the hobby.. Good god if there were many more like this everyone will be either playing with space marines or dying of boredom...

rant over..

what would they do if we put a few mats down in the bar and had our own game?

I'm up for that - Vive La Revolution !!!!!
    I might also see if possible to go along to one of the York Wargames Society evenings and see if I can't 'have a chat' with some one..
    With a thought to a similar situation happening again - would it be a good idea to create a 'best of show' album with shots of the banner, happy punters, great looking tables etc... then if asked for some visuals everything is in one place?

Great idea Chris, a kind of 'Look what you're missing' kind of album. Also the fact that we have got best of show game and a second place that I know of this year at the very least. but I'm up for viva la revolutione. Count me in ( as long as I'm off, found a new job and swmbo gets a shopping weekend in York.....this is going to hurt the wallet, I can feel it in me bones).

Lol my daughter is at University in York, so at least I have somewhere for a cheap cuppa !

Sounds like a great idea, Revolution Air War

I'm all for it, but I don't think we should get the Drome involved by using the official banner chaps.(wet blanket syndrome).
    Rob.

Why not just do it.
    High risk, maybe high reward. I know a few past organisers for whom this would be an effective tactic. I know others from whom this would bring a permanent "red card" for any future attempts at participation

It's one thing for a group of gamers to make a stance on the issue, but quite another to get the Drome implicated.
    Rob.

Good point, caunght up in the revolutionary fervour. Good job the SMT is on the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I'm all for it, but I don't think we should get the Drome involved by using the official banner chaps.(wet blanket syndrome).
    Rob.

I have a further development - a good friend of mine is a major account manager for Mantic Games (Dreadball, Dwarf Wars etc) and they have a deal with the organisers which means that they have a very large area for their demonstration and participation games.. too large for what they need, pending one last check tomorrow he can give us some space and a couple of tables, which means we wouldn't have to camp in the bar.
    Revolutionary fervor aside, I completely agree with the wise counsel given above, and think that whatever we manage to put on should be 'unofficial', i.e. not an Aerodrome sanctioned event, just a few die hard enthusiasts using some free space to play a couple of games, obviously if any passers by wish to join in, then we are such nice accommodating chaps that we would make them very welcome....

Maybe we do such a good job that they ask if we would like to take part officially the following year? you never know stranger things have happened..

That sounds like a very good compromise to me Chris. Well done. If you can pull it off it will solve the problem. I just hope that there will not be any fallout in Mantic Games direction if they sanction this. Please look at it closely with them before you decide.
    Rob.

There will be no fallout with Mantic, I will arrange something there - as I said The account manager and his brother are very close friends of mine, there is also the likelihood that a couple more of my friends will have been deputised by Mantic for the day I will be just some chap who asked if he could make use of a couple of empty tables to play with his aeroplanes...

If this is a venue you guys really want to get into officially some day, I would caution that you tread lightly. Other then them already having an abundance of air combat games (or perhaps vested interest in a single one of them?), the only reason I can see you guys not being excepted is either for lack of space (which does not sound to be the case) or they just want to be controlling. If it's the later, doing anything "against their will" would probably just piss them off and get you guys permanently banned.

Just my thoughts...

I tried to get table space at the york show for one of my charity games and received no reply ,I went along on the day and asked one of the organisers ? and was told I had no chance it was booked for years and when I enquired about all the empty tables ,I was told all you charity types are the same ? and he walked away . I know traders that are in the same position as well I think its an who you know situation .

The Vapnartak organisers are the most aloof, annoying and undiplomatic crowd I have ever had to deal with. When I was running hunt the Zeppelin at Border Reiver I tried to get it to Vapnartak for 3 years unsuccessfully. All the times I have been to the show I have never seen an aerial wargame at all. Plenty of ancients, Napoleonic et al but no air wargame. For that matter a dearth of naval games too. Short sighted and short minded. I'm up for Mantic but I'm not putting myself out to please a brick wall. Lets play and have fun, full speed ahead and damn the the torpedoes.

York has, for some reason, have fr years been a very aloof and exclusive, to them, show.
    I did go years ago , but it does seem to be a show that is "Dead mans Shoes " to get into.
    Itchy's remarks are not the first I have heard of that ilk. Never mid chaps really is their loss, I hope to get something from Sheffield soon ref Triples, this year I am trying to get two tables, for both versions o the game.

GUYS... WE ARE IN and in OFFICIALLY - assuming Strangely Brown and Simon King are one and the same.. my contact has spoken to a few organisers and Simon's application / request has now been approved officially, so cloak and dagger can go back into the dressing up box, and we can take to the skies all guns blazing ... Tally Ho

Lets put on a great game and show them what they have been missing out on all these years......

That's great news Chris, now I just need to get the 2nd Feb off and I'll be there

Well done chaps.
    I am just sorry not to be able to join you on the day.
    Rob.

lol, don't think I have ever been to one of these without your reassuring presence, we will not let you down sir....

Don't worry Chris I know you will do us proud, and you will have Squadron Leader Skafloc with his big banner along to keep you company now.
    Rob

Great news. Although I had wanted to wear my Chez beret and newly styled moustache with pride as we started La Revelutione.

Now that I am back to normality, doe we have 1 or 2 tables and what are we putting on?

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Great news. Although I had wanted to wear my Chez beret and newly styled moustache with pride as we started La Revelutione.l
    Geez, that heavens you didn't. Why anyone would want to follow in the footsteps of that odious piece of slime is beyond me

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Geez, that heavens you didn't. Why anyone would want to follow in the footsteps of that odious piece of slime is beyond me
    Being an icon isn't always about what you do, but what people think you represent.
    And sometimes the icon takes a life of it's own without regard to the facts.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quite right Dave. How anyone from up north could dream of getting involved with the Tooting Popular Front beggars belief. I shall write a strongly worded letter to the Times.
    Kyte.

Dunno what exactly we got yet - maybe Strangely Brown has had an official response - if not am at my (very useful) friends tomorrow and will find out from him - from what he was saying think we may be on for two tables which would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Being an icon isn't always about what you do, but what people think you represent.
    And sometimes the icon takes a life of it's own without regard to the facts.
    Karl
    how true. I expect students to be idolising Stalin or Hitler at some point.

the thing that amuses me about this mindless idolatry of Che is that most of the people you see wearing a Che t shirt or with a poster on the wall are exactly the same kind of people he'd have had tortured and killed without batting an eyelid.

the thing that amuses me about this mindless idolatry of Che is that most of the people you see wearing a Che t shirt or with a poster on the wall are exactly the same kind of people he'd have had tortured and killed without batting an eyelid.
    Thank you. I see this type of romantic, uninformed whatever it is rampant in the U.S. The troubling part is, though, that I see a growing number of folks who should know better choosing to perpetuate such ironically ill-informed nonsense.

There's nowt wrang with oor Wulfie noo.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Quite right Dave. How anyone from up north could dream of getting involved with the Tooting Popular Front beggars belief. I shall write a strongly worded letter to the Times.
    Kyte.

err - think we got into politics there folks - strictly banned, that's a visit to the headmasters study and a rap over the knuckles with the trusty cane..

I thought my tongue in cheek reference to Wolfie Smith was enough to quash the topic.
    No need for the headmaster. If you want ridicule, I'll just direct you to Kyte's Office.
    Spud bashing is ridicule enough!
    Rob.

Aaargh not more spudbashing...........the shame !

Aaargh not more spudbashing...........the shame !
    As I am Kyte's adjutant,I just checked the options, and there is still one for Grounded Chris.
    Rob.

err - think we got into politics there folks - strictly banned, that's a visit to the headmasters study and a rap over the knuckles with the trusty cane..
    don't mention the cane,....I've come over all unnecessary......MATRON!! the pills quickly

I have received official confirmation today that we have a table for the day (12'x6'), which will accommodate the full BoB's British Bulldog game I proposed.

I believe my official helpers for the day will be, Red Dragon, Skafloc and Guzzi, but all are welcome to lend a hand...

If we put on a good enough show hopefully we can get an auto-invite for WGS and WGF in '15...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Vapnartak 2013
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-04-2013, 16:30
  2. Re: Vapnartak at York.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-07-2011, 05:16