Ares Games
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wings of Glory Aerodrome Paid Subscriptions

Thanks for that Keith. Now I would like to ask one more question and it's to do with AARs.

What is the correct way to upload them?

ATM I write the AAR and upload the pictures from my computer as I write it.

Is that all I need to do?
    Or do I need to upload them all to an album as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    ...Unfortunately, the software does not work like that. You have to set a hard limit that applies to everyone, no a limit based on each person.
    Everyone in a group I take it - Gotcha - so as we hit the limit we have to start making hard choices.
    When we move to a new server as well as the RAM etc we really need will we be getting more disk space & will the allowances be increased? How soon will this upgrade happen ?
    Last edited by flash; 10-20-2013 at 03:39.

"He is wise who watches"

So, since I've paid... when can I expect to have PM capability and my av again?

Signed up straight away for Silver on a monthly plan - can you upgrade to Gold at any point by just increasing the monthly amount (I really like the coin, lol)

Just one thing and apologies for being thick - where can I see how much space my albums have taken up so far?

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Just one thing and apologies for being thick - where can I see how much space my albums have taken up so far?
    I'm wondering the same thing. I can see how many pictures I've U/L'ed, but with a Gold that number doesn't matter, but since you're still limited to 500MB (if I understand correctly), I still concerned over how much I've used, & how soon I need to start deleting all the "extra" pictures from sessions that didn't get used in the AAR for that session.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

If you click on "settings" (in the top right corner of the screen, next to notifications, log out etc.) you'll then get a screen with a menu bar on the left for your various account settings. At the bottom of that menu is "attachments" - click that and I *think* that's the right total. Hopefully....

Thanks for that Dom - and woo hoo !! 94 pictures and only 8.09 MB - awesome - now where's my camera?

I am currently using 169.27 MB to store 1,412 uploaded attachments. It is all about the resizing (Most of mine have been resized to 800 x 600 from the beginning.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    If you click on "settings" (in the top right corner of the screen, next to notifications, log out etc.) you'll then get a screen with a menu bar on the left for your various account settings. At the bottom of that menu is "attachments" - click that and I *think* that's the right total. Hopefully....
    It appears you are correct! I'm at about 2/3 full w/ over 2000 images U/L'ed. I've got some time yet. And if I go through & prune all the unused stuff I'd bet that'd cut that by more than half. If I'm then more judicious going forward, hopefully can make that last a good long while.

Gack!

My Burgess-Dunne Avatar is gone, and I'm at 900+ attachments (94 megs of pictures)!

Some warning on new Forum rules, and potentially some "grandfathering", would have been nice.

Gonna have to make an appointment with the Financial Advisor for yet another hobby subscription. This is going to cut into the fleet upgrade fund.

Mike :-)

One Gold account done.

Just one thing sprung to mind and I might be pretty unpopular for suggesting it. The coin is great and I really want one but I worry that funds from my membership which I put in to keep the site running smoothly are heading back to me in some way or another. The reason I mention it is that this site is the only forum I have come across that has such high quality features and I would like it to stay that way.

I'm sure I'm just worrying too much Oberst and that you have thought it all through.

Ooh I'm using 220 Meg's for my attachments, what's the limit again (gulp)

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Ooh I'm using 220 Meg's for my attachments, what's the limit again (gulp)
    364 meg for me
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

A question abou the sub,
    If the monthly sub is chosen is it automatically deducted each month on the day you initially subscribe, or is it only one month and you would have to pay again the next month

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Automatic - it's set up as a Paypal subscription, not just a one-off payment (so's the annual for that matter - must admit I did an annual then immediately cancelled the sub as I don't like payments going out automatically - would rather re-up manually when the time comes.)

Thumbs up

Been off the Forum for a couple of days due to our Bienniel Antique Tractor & Machinery Rally at our Showground & only just got Keith announcement but I have Signed for Gold!
    Its the only way for me.

Looks like great support from the pilots so far.

Does the membership fee for this forum also cover the Sails of Glory forum or is there a separate fee for that one?

For some unknown reason my sig pic seems to have done a runner.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Okay here goes...

First off, I'm happy to say that with the support you guys have shown, I an confident that we are looking good for the sever move. In fact, we'll actually be able to move to a better server than I was initially looking at. There are three steps I want to take in this whole process.

1. Increase PM limits for all groups. Based on the expected move and some number crunching, I've increase the PM storage to 100, 500, and 1000 for each of the groups. So for the basic and Gold members, you now have double the storage you had yesterday. For the Silver guys, you went from 100 to 500, a pretty hefty increase there!

2. We are working on some sever side coding that will go through and re-size all of the images upload to the site in the past automatically. This should free up a lot of disk space for future use.

3. The server move. This is going to be a big project as the new server is not with the same hosting company. So not only do all of the files have to be transferred, the databases have to be migrated over as well. That part can be tricky to say the least. The current hosting plan expires next month and I hope to have the move completed by then. You guys should expect the site to be down for a least a couple of days during this move.

I would still like to stress that disk space is the main driving force behind the move and changes. It is just the most tangible to you guys as members. Some of the major issues are the number of persistent connections we have to the server, server queries, as well as memory and CPU usage. These are all things we can not really lower with out either major overhauls to the site (like dropping the Files section and Medals) or stopping new players from joining the site. All of which are things I don't think any of us want to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Brambo View Post
    Thanks for that Keith. Now I would like to ask one more question and it's to do with AARs.

What is the correct way to upload them?

ATM I write the AAR and upload the pictures from my computer as I write it.

Is that all I need to do?
    Or do I need to upload them all to an album as well?
    For AARs, I would say to use the attachment feature in the post its self. Since most people at not going to need/want to browse through a bunch of game photos with out the accompanying text, there is no need to have them in an album. For images like repaints, How To projects and the like, those are best served by placing them in an album.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Everyone in a group I take it - Gotcha - so as we hit the limit we have to start making hard choices.
    When we move to a new server as well as the RAM etc we really need will we be getting more disk space & will the allowances be increased? How soon will this upgrade happen ?
    The server upgrade will give us more space and I do plan on upping the limits to the subscriptions. At this time I can't say what those new limits will be. I foresee them being ramped up slowly over time as we a) see how members utilize their space and conserve it over time, and b) how subscriptions stabilize and grow as new members join the site and become involved in the community. I would like to some day be to the point were we can drop down to just two membership levels, free and supporting members. Where supporting members have much higher limits than they do now, but pay at only the Silver level.

I would like to complete the move in the next month if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    So, since I've paid... when can I expect to have PM capability and my av again?
    DB, I think we got you all sort right?

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Signed up straight away for Silver on a monthly plan - can you upgrade to Gold at any point by just increasing the monthly amount (I really like the coin, lol)
    Of course you can! It does take a little effort however. If and when you decide to upgrade you will need to login to Paypal and cancel you current subscription just prior the next payment date (this is shown in Paypal). Then simply come back to the site and sign up for the Gold membership. This is the only way to avoid loss of benefits and not get double charged for any of the period of membership.

Quote Originally Posted by monty's double View Post
    One Gold account done.

Just one thing sprung to mind and I might be pretty unpopular for suggesting it. The coin is great and I really want one but I worry that funds from my membership which I put in to keep the site running smoothly are heading back to me in some way or another. The reason I mention it is that this site is the only forum I have come across that has such high quality features and I would like it to stay that way.

I'm sure I'm just worrying too much Oberst and that you have thought it all through.
    Yep, I've put a little thought into it While you are getting back a little of what you are putting into the site from the coin, the balance is in favor of the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    Automatic - it's set up as a Paypal subscription, not just a one-off payment (so's the annual for that matter - must admit I did an annual then immediately cancelled the sub as I don't like payments going out automatically - would rather re-up manually when the time comes.)
    Perfectly acceptable and thanks for helping others find their storage amounts Dom.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chum View Post
    Does the membership fee for this forum also cover the Sails of Glory forum or is there a separate fee for that one?
    Short answer, I don't know right now. Please read the long answer below for the reasons.

Long answer; One of the goals of upgrading the server is to get both sites on the same plan to save money across both of them. Of course right now there are not issues with the Anchorage site since it is so small. But learning from how this site has grown and evolved, I'd prefer to have that site setup to serve us better from the start. With a decent crossover of members from this site to that one, I'm looking at ways to virtually connect the two as far as funding goes. The problem is that they are completely different sites and have separate databases. This means there is no easy way to get the subscription data from this site to register over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    For some unknown reason my sig pic seems to have done a runner.
    Rob.
    Rob, I'll work on getting that sorted. Not sure what happened as it was working the other day.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

I'm in with both feet! Gold membership! Yeah, buddy.

Okay here goes...
    Keith,
    Thank you for all the hard work & dedication you've given & continue to give. You can't please all the people all the time, & the easiest way to fail is to try. But you're giving it the best shot possible! I know were experiencing growing pains, & nobody like change (myself included), but I wanted to say I am grateful for the site & all your efforts.

Picture sorted thanks Keith.
    Rob.

I went ahead and purchased a Silver membership... A little surprised that I am not allowed my simple smiley face avatar with ANY paid membership. Such a tiny file isn't much of a burden I wouldn't think.

Also, I wonder at the wisdom of limiting photo uploads. It strikes me as a bit counter intuitive to limit the very content that will draw new members. If storage is the issue, perhaps if you have the site resizing images, that will solve the problem without causing the folks who like sharing pictures of their models and games to think twice before sharing.

Another question is, how will The Anchorage be affected? Will this membership program carry over to that site when SoG is officially released? Will a membership here, count over there too? Or will you be charging over there as well? I am unlikely to be willing to pay another subscription for a forum site.

Honestly, I have spent a fair amount of money at the Aerodrome Store as of late. I did so, in part, to support this site. I must say, honestly, this is a little off putting for me.

Given my activity, putting up pics for repaints and so on - Gold membership was a must. I'm paying annually, as it's easier to budget and there's fewer International conversion fees.
    Considering what I get out of the site, it's a bargain, even though money's tight.
    I think it important that new and occasional members, who may not have much to contribute initially, be able to access pretty much everything. That way they can learn more and will become more active over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Given my activity, putting up pics for repaints and so on - Gold membership was a must.
    Sorry, but this is continuing to drive me insane...

This site has been up for 4 years and takes up about 35GB of storage space, and with the funding you've already recieved you're looking to go to a dedicated server, which I can hardly even find advertized with less than an order of magnitude more storage than you currently have. And you've placed size restrictions on images to curb future growth. You admit storage is not the driving concern, and you want people to host their content locally.

Yet the new membership model forces the primary site content providers to pay for the privelege of making the site worth supporting. It has already caused many issues of the kind you hoped to avoid by hosting files locally, and severely undermines that goal going forward.

I don't mean to be antagonistic. I don't intend to go anywhere, and I hope the site continues to be successful. As a content consumer I am ready to support the site, but not while I see the site policies as being disruptive to the content generators. I think I've stated my grievance as clearly as I'll be able to, so I'll try not to raise the issue again.

P.S. "You" refers to Keith; Zoe is merely an exemplar content generator.

Been offline for too long. After about three minutes of digesting the news of this new approach am happy to have completed s/u for annual gold. Thanks to all participants for making this such a vital and insightful locale for enjoying so many aspects of WW1 (and WW2) air combat. Frankly, thought this should've happened some time ago.

Good to hear from you Thomas. I'm sure that Kyte will make this a red letter day.(pun intended) and insist on taking you down to the bar.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by PFactorDave View Post
    I went ahead and purchased a Silver membership... A little surprised that I am not allowed my simple smiley face avatar with ANY paid membership. Such a tiny file isn't much of a burden I wouldn't think.
    As stated in this thread, the other thread and the Subscription options, custom avatars are available with the Gold Membership.

Also, I wonder at the wisdom of limiting photo uploads. It strikes me as a bit counter intuitive to limit the very content that will draw new members. If storage is the issue, perhaps if you have the site resizing images, that will solve the problem without causing the folks who like sharing pictures of their models and games to think twice before sharing.
    Also already stated, the site software only resizes the display output of images up loaded, not the actual file size.

Another question is, how will The Anchorage be affected? Will this membership program carry over to that site when SoG is officially released? Will a membership here, count over there too? Or will you be charging over there as well? I am unlikely to be willing to pay another subscription for a forum site.
    Answered just 4 posts above this one.

Honestly, I have spent a fair amount of money at the Aerodrome Store as of late. I did so, in part, to support this site. I must say, honestly, this is a little off putting for me.
    While the two sites share a symbiotic relationship, they are two separate entities. I do not use funds from here to buy products to resale over there and funds from AA do not go directly to supporting this site. This is done for a couple of reasons, the major one being taxes. I do appreciate the sells this site generates for the AA site, and that many of you purchase from there because of this site, is not lost on me at all.

In truth, I'm not sure if this site would have lived this long if the AA site would have never gotten of the ground as it has. Being able to make a little extra income over there has justified the amount of time and energy I put into this site, so thank you for supporting in that manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    I think it important that new and occasional members, who may not have much to contribute initially, be able to access pretty much everything. That way they can learn more and will become more active over time.
    The only thing they can not access is blogs, and that is only in the form of having their own. They can still read and reply to other member's blogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    Sorry, but this is continuing to drive me insane...

This site has been up for 4 years and takes up about 35GB of storage space, and with the funding you've already recieved you're looking to go to a dedicated server, which I can hardly even find advertized with less than an order of magnitude more storage than you currently have. And you've placed size restrictions on images to curb future growth. You admit storage is not the driving concern, and you want people to host their content locally.
    It's not a dedicated server, it's a VPS and they typically start out with about 30-40GB in disk space, less than what we have right now. And you are correct, storage space is not the major issue that is driving the move to a better server. It's all the other non tangibles you guys can't see. Subscriptions are the only way to generate a "fixed" income for the site that allows me to justify the move to the bigger server. The only way to make a distinction between the different levels of support is to give the higher levels bells and whistles like custom avatars, ranks, sig images, and limiting the amount of PM/disk space they get. All standard practices in the industry.

Yet the new membership model forces the primary site content providers to pay for the privelege of making the site worth supporting. It has already caused many issues of the kind you hoped to avoid by hosting files locally, and severely undermines that goal going forward.
    I find it funny that none of the major contributors to the site have an issue with the new subscriptions and have all pretty much jumped on board with a "thanks for all you do Keith", while others wage a war for them that they are not even involved in.

I don't mean to be antagonistic. I don't intend to go anywhere, and I hope the site continues to be successful. As a content consumer I am ready to support the site, but not while I see the site policies as being disruptive to the content generators. I think I've stated my grievance as clearly as I'll be able to, so I'll try not to raise the issue again.
    Don't worry, others have already covered for you.

Quote Originally Posted by redcoon2 View Post
    Been offline for too long. After about three minutes of digesting the news of this new approach am happy to have completed s/u for annual gold. Thanks to all participants for making this such a vital and insightful locale for enjoying so many aspects of WW1 (and WW2) air combat. Frankly, thought this should've happened some time ago.
    Thanks for the support Thomas, I'm hoping to see you again at Origins next year.

That should just about cover the flybys. Well said Herr Oberst.

Thanks for the response, Keith. Sorry I missed the answers earlier in the thread. Was reading it on my phone and must have inadvertently scrolled past a section of posts.

Thanks for the response, Keith. Sorry I missed the answers earlier in the thread. Was reading it on my phone and must have inadvertently scrolled past a section of posts.
    No worries David

Unhappy

LOL! I still have the "medal" on my user name that says 500 photos uploaded, but now I'm slashed to 100 or less! I guess you better take that "medal" off my user account! That's gonna be kinda funny otherwise! Folks will be going, "Where's the 500 pictures at!?!"

My avatar... history.

My user page hacked down to some basic generic deal...wow. Can't even get my basic Scarlet & Gray Ohio colors...

Oh well, I guess times are tough.
    Last edited by kaufschtick; 10-26-2013 at 21:40.

Quote Originally Posted by kaufschtick View Post
    LOL! I still have the "medal" on my user name that says 500 photos uploaded, but now I'm slashed to 100 or less! I guess you better take that "medal" off my user account! That's gonna be kinda funny otherwise! Folks will be going, "Where's the 500 pictures at!?!"

My avatar... history.

My user page hacked down to some basic generic deal...wow. Can't even get my basic Scarlet & Gray Ohio colors...

Oh well, I guess times are tough.
    I figure some folks will use photo-bucket or something similar to solve the picture problem.

While the two sites share a symbiotic relationship, they are two separate entities. I do not use funds from here to buy products to resale over there and funds from AA do not go directly to supporting this site. This is done for a couple of reasons, the major one being taxes. I do appreciate the sells this site generates for the AA site, and that many of you purchase from there because of this site, is not lost on me at all.
    Interesting, I just thought that the AA site was a funding source. With other forums, they have sponsors however, the AA site is a direct connection with this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chum View Post
    Interesting, I just thought that the AA site was a funding source. With other forums, they have sponsors however, the AA site is a direct connection with this forum.
    See my reply regarding this in post #80.

See my reply regarding this in post #80.
    I did see it hence the quote.

I just thought it was interesting as other forums that I have been involved in have sponsors. The sponsors have an image/link to the products they sell on the front page of the forum. The sponsor pays an amount of money for the space. That money goes for the operation of the forum.
    I figure everyone knows that so I just thought it was interesting that you noted that money from the sales of the AA site did not help sponsor this forum. I did not make the comment to be spiteful just wanted to point it out as I assumed as I am sure with a certain amount of others that when purchasing from the AA site that they are making a contribution to the forum as well. I see that this is not the case.

Question on preserving existing photos. At this point around 300 of my pics exist as thumbnails only. I would like to keep them. Simply put. Do I take the time now to rebuild the albums. Or wait till the shift of server. When we shift will the thumbnails exist or will they be gone?
    Tony

Tony, the images are gone do to a server issue... not the new subscription levels. The new levels are the means to move to a bigger and better server to avoid those issues in the future. My suggestion would be to wait until after the planned server update and then rebuilding them.

Ok I went for silver...Can someone tell me how to get an avatar under my name ? (I forgot how to do it and can't find it ...must be the recent lack of sleep - nightshift is a killer for the braincells )

Press "settings" in the upper right corner, then click on the left side "edit avatar".

You need a gold membership for a custom avatar.

As a former contributor, I am not interested in the new membership system. I think it is not a good way for the Aerodrome, but I respect commanding officers. Although I have no problem with the amount, I will stay as a common member.
    Sorry for this post, but I must wrote it somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    As a former contributor, I am not interested in the new membership system. I think it is not a good way for the Aerodrome, but I respect commanding officers. Although I have no problem with the amount, I will stay as a common member.
    No worries, Daniel; each must make their own decisions.
    Don't stay away, though. You'd be most missed.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Keith

Sent my gold level yesterday. Pay Pal sent a mail on the transfer but nothing from the site?

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Thanks for your input Daniel and we look forward to seeing you around the site as always.

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    Keith

Sent my gold level yesterday. Pay Pal sent a mail on the transfer but nothing from the site?

Rich
    Rich, I don't think the site sends anything out, but I can see your account is functioning at the Gold level. Thanks for the support.

Keith

I just checked and it has registered! Changed the old avatar already. A new work schedule has disrupted my sleep and online activity. Sorry i did not respond earlier! Always do what i can to keep the site going!

Rich

Nice avatar upgrade, Richard.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Thumbs up

Karl

FW-190 is an all time favorite!

Rich

Just started my Gold membership.
    Thought long and hard about it and decided you don't get anything really worthwhile for nothing and this site is rally worth while.
    I have been a bit busy of late as I stood as a councillor in our local elections, didn't get on to council but well worth the experience.
    Will try again in three years God willing.
    Linz

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Wings of Glory Aerodrome turns 3!
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 07-03-2012, 11:30
  2. WGF Wings of Glory Aerodrome Tuck Boxes
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-10-2012, 08:36
  3. Site: Wings of Glory Aerodrome in Numbers