Ares Games

View Poll Results: Do you use a WOW/WOG gaming map?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (original map)

74 71.84%
  • Yes (selfmade map)

31 30.10%
  • sometimes

7 6.80%
  • never

9 8.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you play WOW / WOG with a gaming map?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Patrick
    Sorties Flown

Default Do you play WOW / WOG with a gaming map?

Greetings from Germany !

Users Country Flag

Name
    Olivier
    Sorties Flown

I usually play with the new game mat from ARES, except for Air / Sea battles, where I used an old blue blanket.

I usually use the new game mats from Ares but I also have a 'Terrain Mat' for the Western front which comes out sometimes and I occasionally use a blue cloth for sea games as well.
    Don

I have four of the Ares mats. The three in the set plus an extra countryside one. A very nice Hotz Desert map sent to me by Andrzej, and another one with the trenches on it, plus a blue cloth for sea encounters.
    Rob

I have 5 mats, 2 fromm NEXUS and 3 from ARES.

Got the 3 new mats plus the original east map,a homemade trenches and battlefront WWI and a laminated print of Midway island for the Pacific Theatre pdf of which is in the files section.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I have 5 mats, 2 fromm NEXUS and 3 from ARES.
    Exactly same here as far as originals are concerned.
    Plus 5 others 2 printed on vinyl, 2 painted by myself and 1 Hotz mat.

I have the City and coastal mats from Ares. Always use them without fail, all part of the eye candy. They maybe expensive but they have had more use in the 5 months I've had them than most of the rubbish I've bought from GW in the past 20 years. In that respect, money will spent.

I had one of the original mats but sold it and bought the new ones. They are beautiful! I first got the countryside and city mats and just this weekend bought another countryside and a coastal mat. I hope with 4 mats there will be enough room to use the large bombers.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 10-15-2013 at 05:45.

I use both. But most of mine that I use come from Luis AKA IBERIAN SHADOW. His site is Game On Terrain Mats. Most of you guys and gals have seen these at Origins and other places.

Thomas

I have the country and coast mats from Ares.

I have all of the Ares and Nexus mats....dont know why as I hardly get to play.

I have the Ares' maps, which I sometimes use when doing dogfights, bombing and recon. I don't like them for ground attack, so when the situation warrants, I pull out either the grass mat or the muddy mat.

I have the three Ares maps, but I also print my own on thick paper, according to campaign needs.
    «Up there the world is divided into bastards and suckers. Make your choice.» D. Robinson

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

I have one each of the Ares maps which I`ve found get quite a lot of use when `playing away` as they`re fairly easy to transport and really look nice on sombody else`s gaming table.
    I also have a couple of home-made low relief trench terrain/maps that I use for home games which are also handy for playing the ground war.

I have both Nexus maps
    4 Ares maps, 2 countryside, coast and city
    Also a a Terrain Map western front, nice but a bit expensive

So not sure which option you want here, I use official and custom

I have 4 Ares mats (2 countryside, 1 coast , 1 town) and the 2 Nexus mats.

I have 2 coastal, 1 city, and 1 countryside mats from Ares. We use these for face-to-face play. For OTT AARs, I was using a rug that looked like countryside. I just shot an AAR using the game mats, but will go back to the carpet because the carpet-based pictures look clearer. With a new camera, who knows.

I recently bought 1 Ares city map for my small WWI games and have 2 large custom printed mats on vinyl for my WWII games. Looking to make some more customs for desert and winter warfare but waiting for funding approval from SWMBO.

The original maps of course...what else?

I have four Nexus mats, 2 East and 2 West, but only one Ares City map.
    T.T.F.N.
    Tim

My 2 Nexus maps don't see a lot of action since I got 2 Ares maps.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    A very nice Hotz Desert map...
    I've got one each of the old Nexus mats, as well as the newer Ares varieties. As Rob said, the Hotz mats are very nice as well. I've got one desert and one European fields... but I'd like to add one with the trenches. Additionally, I've got a rather large, textured mat featuring NML... can't remember where, exactly, that one came from... other than it was a distributor in the UK.

As a result, none of the mats see as much regular use as I'd like.

I have two Nexus mats waiting for me at the post office. Eager to try them out.

I have been playing on fleece recently, and picked up some different color felt for different terrains - desert, no-man's-land, autumnish brown, snow, green fields. The fleece-based pictures have been very clear - good for AARs.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I have two Nexus mats waiting for me at the post office. Eager to try them out.
    I think you'll be pleased.

I have been playing on fleece recently, and picked up some different color felt for different terrains - desert, no-man's-land, autumnish brown, snow, green fields. The fleece-based pictures have been very clear - good for AARs.
    Huh. Hadn't occurred to me to try fleece... my non-Nexus/non-Ares mats are felt. How much texture do they have?

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Huh. Hadn't occurred to me to try fleece... my non-Nexus/non-Ares mats are felt. How much texture do they have?
    Here is the most recent AAR; you can get an idea of the fleece: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...f-the-nameless

It is fairly smooth. I was looking at some thicker white wool felt the other day at JoAnn Fabric. It was plush in comparison. I wanted it badly for winter terrain, but wasn't sure how well minis would stand on it. I am becoming a bit of a fixture at JoAnn. Every time they ask what I am using the material for, and I tell them for war-game playing surfaces, they seem intrigued. Maybe we should set up an after-hour game there sometime. So much potential terrain stuff there.

Here is the most recent AAR; you can get an idea of the fleece: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...f-the-nameless

It is fairly smooth. I was looking at some thicker white wool felt the other day at JoAnn Fabric. It was plush in comparison. I wanted it badly for winter terrain, but wasn't sure how well minis would stand on it. I am becoming a bit of a fixture at JoAnn. Every time they ask what I am using the material for, and I tell them for war-game playing surfaces, they seem intrigued. Maybe we should set up an after-hour game there sometime. So much potential terrain stuff there.
    I get that a lot too. I hauled in a Camel once for a size comparison on wire I wanted to use for machine guns. The gal at the counter kept commenting on how "cute" it was. I should have seen if she was single , but I had my oldest daughter with me.

Maybe we should set up an after-hour game there sometime. So much potential terrain stuff there.
    Good thought... easy to lose time there.

Interesting... doesn't seem to be much more texture than felt. I'll have to take a look next time I'm shopping for fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    I should have seen if she was single , but I had my oldest daughter with me.
    Kids have the tendency to do that, I've noticed... put a crimp in your dating life, that is.

Ok, total non sequitur, but it's way late and the kids are going to be clamoring for the spoils of war silly-early. G'nite, lads. Happy Christmas.

Hadn't occurred to me to try fleece... my non-Nexus/non-Ares mats are felt. How much texture do they have?
    Putting away the fleece this morning - the flip side has more texture. You can play either side depending on your desired terrain effect.

I currently have the Ares city map, slowly saving up for a countryside to go with, but keep blowing savings on shapeways

Smile

I have City & Country Ares mats plus a Trenches mat, Carl_Brisgamers WW2 Island mat & a Blue sheet for WW2 sea battles.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    ...Carl_Brisgamers WW2 Island mat & a Blue sheet for WW2 sea battles.
    Good Lord! I've got to get my hands on a water mat before the Pacific War campaign gets up and running...

I wonder if my SoG shipment is going to arrive in the near future? Hopefully those two mats will serve...

Good Lord! I've got to get my hands on a water mat before the Pacific War campaign gets up and running...

I wonder if my SoG shipment is going to arrive in the near future? Hopefully those two mats will serve...
    If you don't think they'll work, try blue felt. I used some for SoG demo games, and it worked fine. I imagine the same would be true for WoG. It is what I'll be using, most likely. For land, construction paper overlays could work, and being flat, not obstruct the movement of planes.

I still use a length of digital camouflage cloth from my local fabric shop. Cheap as chips and if you focus on the aircraft it could be woods and fields far below

I've used other peoples maps but prefer to use my grass green wargames carpet, particularly when you want to get down in the weeds

I voted sometimes ,as at home and if I am organising a club game then I use my ares mat ,if some one else is organising it could be a choice of home made mats or plain green tables depending who ,when or where I am playing.

Quote Originally Posted by AlgyLacey View Post
    I still use a length of digital camouflage cloth from my local fabric shop. Cheap as chips and if you focus on the aircraft it could be woods and fields far below
    I like that idea. I'm going to have to look for something similar...

I started off with some green felt for £5 off eBay. Then got dominion print to make up a couple of custom mats, just beforethe release of the official ones.

Felt is good for gamers on a budget.

Quote Originally Posted by HTRAINo View Post
    Felt is good for gamers on a budget.
    Totally. And it's convenient as well... easy to find and modify/cut to fit your table size and terrain needs: water, coastline, forests, etc.

I play on the two original Nexus WOW mats. I like them just fine. After playing on mats though, I find it hard to play the game without the mats. I also have a large 4x8 Hotz European fields mat but never used it. I pictured myself playing epic air battles with my sons but 4x8 is just too big. Probably turn it into a table cloth. I am waiting for my SOG playing mats but no tracking number yet. Once you play a minatures game on a themed surface, a plain old kitchen table just doesn't do it for me or my sons.

I like the original Nexus mats... kites are much easier to pick out against the scenery when taking pictures. The newer Ares mats are a little dark for my tastes.

I have 4 Ares mats (2 countryside, 1 coast , 1 city)

Quote Originally Posted by johnbiggles View Post
    I currently have the Ares city map, slowly saving up for a countryside to go with, but keep blowing savings on shapeways
    I wouldn't wait too long to pick up the countryside map.......they seem to be getting a little scarce.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chum View Post
    I have 4 Ares mats (2 countryside, 1 coast , 1 city)
    That's a good collection. If I were to get another, it would be a second countryside to go with the three (one of each) I have already. I had hopes that they would produce a "No Man's Land" version at some point... but I don't think we've heard anything along those lines to date.

A "No Man's Land" map would be awesome.

original maps now that i have them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. What size gaming area do you use to play.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Polls
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 10-03-2022, 10:55
  2. Gaming mat
    By Mclags in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-20-2013, 17:23
  3. More gaming mats?
    By WilliamBarkerVC in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 06-09-2011, 19:48
  4. Possible gaming mat