Ares Games

Thread: AAR: First blood over Rabia

Default AAR: First blood over Rabia

Date: 10-08-13
    Mission: WGS Campaign 3 Squadron RAAF Mission 1 by Carl Brisgamer
    Allied forces: 1 x Gloster Gladiator (Flight Lieutenant Blake Pelly) - Alt. 3
    Axis forces: 3 x Fiat CR.42 Falco (#1 Rinaldi, #2 Gorrini, #3 Gressler) - Alt. 2
    Rules: Advanced Solo & Optional except FUEL and EXPLOSION damage.

As reported by F/L Pelly:

« The brass hats were outlining Operation Compass, and an unbearably hot afternoon at Garawlah didn't prevent Heath, Rawlinson, Boyd and myself from being sent out on a recon mission. This time as far as Rabia, southwest of Sidi Barrani - the enemy's closest stronghold.

1400 hrs and no sign of trouble, but as we decided to head back we spotted a flock of bandits south of our position and closing up. Heading north was not an option, since it would get us between the devil and the deep blue... sky. East was our only exit route, but suddenly there they were, too many to be engaged by the four of us, yet the situation was unavoidable.

I decided to try and get to the back of the enemy formation before shots were dealt, so I headed south and gained some altitude. Behind me, Peter and both Alans were getting entangled in a heavy dogfight with the frontline Falcos. I thought I was getting clear of enemy guns when three bandits appeared out of nowhere right between my Gladiator and the open desert sky.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1130066.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	112224

The enemy's long range shots couldn't do much damage for now, so my first reflex was to set some distance by turning northeast at full speed. The trio would have to chase me for a while! And as they were closing in, I was determined to take advantage of my higher altitude, since it provided me with an aiming bonus.

Name:	P1130073.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	112225

Name:	P1130076.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	112227

So I went on to confront the pursuers by executing a half-loop.
    Then the shooting began. Number 1 and I were at close range and I managed to plant a few bullets in the fore fuselage of his Falco. As he was swerving to avoid my fire his gun went loose, but I was lucky and only got some scuffs on the starboard wingtip.

Name:	P1130078.jpg 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	112226

Number 2 came right to me from the front and from below. I reacted quickly and fired, the Falco's top leading edge taking all the damage. Number 2 staggered and only spat once in return. My Gladiator wasn't gravely hit, but somehow the rudder had suffered from it and had jammed. I couldn't turn right but this didn't represent a serious issue, for the attackers were now at my three and I was onto flaking them out.

Name:	P1130079.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	112228

But as I headed east, number 2, who had recovered from the previous exchange, started following me closely from below. We couldn't shoot at each other but it was going to be difficult shaking him off without getting exposed to his fire. In the meantime, number 1 had started climbing in order to gain a tailing advantage over me.

Name:	P1130081.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	112229

Name:	P1130086.jpg 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	112230

Name:	P1130087.jpg 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	112231

Name:	P1130091.jpg 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	112232

Suddenly, I regained control over the rudder and went on flying straight at full speed, then performed a tight right turn so as to get rid of number 2 below. But number 1, who was now level with me, had finally caught up, managing to nail some slug into the Gladiator's tail in the process. I scarcely avoided extra damage as he missed with a second round of his guns.

Name:	P1130094.jpg 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	112233

Name:	P1130095.jpg 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	112234

East was my only escape route so it was time for me to take a life-and-death decision. Number 2 and 3 were still flying low and they were more likely to miss when firing, and number 1 would sooner or later get me if I didn't plan a different path. So I decided to turn northeast to stay clear of number 1's firing range as I got closer to numbers 2 and 3. My maneuver caught number 2 by surprise: he couldn't change course on time and passed me by, and by some stroke of luck number 3 was still just too far to get a clear shot. Close call!

Name:	P1130098.jpg 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	112235

Name:	P1130099.jpg 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	112236

At the end, and as I had barely eluded number 1's gun, I followed my plan and executed one last climb. In a matter of minutes I was too high for numbers 2 and 3 to shoot at me and for number 1 to succeed in taking me down. I pushed the throttle full forward and left it there until I was sure I had been left alone. »

Name:	P1130102.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	112237

Name:	P1130107.jpg 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	112238

Thanks to Carl for his fantastic campaign design!

Name:	P1130108.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	112239
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Operacion Compass.jpg  
    Last edited by PonchoLatour; 10-09-2013 at 09:20.

Great desert WW II AAR, Alfonso!

I like the story and the wonderful desert map.

Nice to see the last biplanes in action.

Nice AAR! Well done. I asked you already but where did you get this beautifull desert mat?

A great scenario well executed Alfonso.
    A pity I only have two Falcos at present. Maybe I will have to turn it around and use my Gloucesters to chase a Falco.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomatchef View Post
    Nice AAR! Well done. I asked you already but where did you get this beautifull desert mat?
    Glad you liked the mat! I made it out of google map screenshots scaled to fit and look good on a B0 or A0 format. I was impressed with the result myself once I'd had it printed, it has a nice 3D feeling to the eye. Maybe I could share it in the Files section?

and that Alfonso is how a good recon mission should be flown. Well done. In and out with the info for the advance. Great AAR. well executed and a great mat to play on.

great report awesome mat

Quote Originally Posted by PonchoLatour View Post
    ...Maybe I could share it in the Files section?
    Good idea!

Thumbs up

Some clever flying by your Gladiator Pilot there my friend. Outwitting 3 enemy is never easy.

Well flown old chap! The recce boys got some good pics too! Bedankt!

Thanks guys! We are saddened by the loss of Heath, who fought bravely but couldn't make it back... Your cheers do make up for a mission which turned out to be everything but cushy!

By the way if you're interested, the desert map is now available for download here: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1628

Name:	North Africa_thumbnail.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	112557

PS - They're talking of sending us back into the blue again very soon!
    Last edited by PonchoLatour; 10-11-2013 at 15:06.

Similar Missions

1. Blood in the Air
    By PunkReaper in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-21-2013, 08:18
  2. "WWI In Color: Blood In The Air" Documentary
    By MoonSylver in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-23-2012, 10:35
  3. WGFF: Across the Blood Red Skies
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-29-2012, 08:43
  4. AAR AAR Mission 1: Patrol over St. Caronne. First Blood.
    By Nightbomber in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 03-22-2012, 07:22
  5. To cut down on the blood bath
    By CappyTom in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 11-29-2010, 15:43