Ares Games
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW THREAD for National Aerodrome get together

Default NEW THREAD for National Aerodrome get together

New thread with important details for the get together september 2014

The venue is the Doncaster Aero museum ,south Yorkshire.

The Meeting room and the sunken floor room booked for the 20th &21st of September 2014 we could easily have 3 large set ups in the meeting room and a couple of smaller games in the sunken floor room ,each room has displays of uniforms ,pictures and models to add to the occasion and there is even an air raid siren for those bombing missions .. The use of the museum kitchen to brew up in and the freedom of the museum for the staggering price of £150.00 all in ,and even better we dont pay till the day ,so we work out on the saturday how many have turned up and split the cost between us .

If we can start to confirm numbers as soon as we can and also any one wanting accommodation in any of the near by hotels are advised to book now as we were advised they are busy in September. For the outdoor types caravans are allowed to pitch for a small fee ,all our gear can be kept secure in the rooms over night The pics show both the rooms we have hired the public will be kept away although they will be in other parts of the museum . Oh and the last plus for this venue is a great shop packed full of models ,diecasts , books,dvds etc.
    just so we know whats what ,and this can be changed /updated as we go along.

attending :22
    Itchy
    Hedeby
    Baron Rolf
    F.O.Kyte
    Armstrong John
    David Manley
    Night Bomber
    Boney 10
    Brambo
    Se5a
    thomatchef
    skafloc
    BURT
    The Black knight.
    Guzzi
    Hawkhurst
    Guntruck
    JohnBiggles
    Tikkifriend
    Rich J
    Flying Helmut
    bullet magnet

Possibles:4
    Htraino
    skipper
    RJB
    Rabbit3

Looks like we can get approx 4 6 x4 tables in the rooms how does this sound

Table 1 WW2 BoB
    Table 2 WW1
    Table 3 WW2 Pacific
    Table 4 Zeppelin

Any other tables we can add to WW1 Balloons and bombers, people can then move around and try various things.
    Or
    We wanting a tournament similar to "Time of Aces"
    Last edited by itchy; 12-15-2013 at 03:20.

Now you guys need to come up with a snazzy name for this thing... after all, it is going to be a yearly event right???

Looks like we can get approx 4 6 x 4 tables in the rooms how does this sound

Table 1 WW2 BoB
    Table 2 WW1
    Table 3 WW2 Pacific
    Table 4 Zeppelin

Any other tables we can add to WW1 Balloons and bombers, people can then move around and try various things.
    I might be in a minority but I must admit I will spend all my time with WW1 as I'm not really interested in WW2.

Is it worth asking which period(s) other folk are interested doing to make sure we get the balance right.

Don

I only play WW1 but would like ti have a game of ww2 BoB to see what Im missing.

OK, thanks for handling the new thread, Richard.
    Any specific hotel suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Burt View Post
    I might be in a minority but I must admit I will spend all my time with WW1 as I'm not really interested in WW2.

Is it worth asking which period(s) other folk are interested doing to make sure we get the balance right.

Don
    Table 2 WWI for me (for most of my time) and Table 1 BoB once in a while, if you please, Richard

I have just stuck every thing into one post hope fully to make it easier to follow Boney 10 was organising the games but I,m sure over two days every one will get a chance to play everything but keep posting your choices it will help Boney in his final decision of what to put on.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Now you guys need to come up with a snazzy name for this thing... after all, it is going to be a yearly event right???
    What about DONCON, whatever it means

EUROCON, AEROCON, DROMECON, UKCON, WoGCON, UK SCRAMBLE, ANGELS15, (with 2014 added)

Please, a title without the word CON in it.

1) This is the UK, we don't do "cons"
    2) It sunds like there's something dodgy going on

Especially EUROCON - that sounds like something run in Brussels or Maastricht

Night Bomber ,as far as hotels go the nearest are Premier inn Doncaster East , Campanile Doncaster and Park Inn doncaster are all very close but if you google hotels near DN4 7NW you ail get pages of nearby hotels.

Quote Originally Posted by itchy View Post
    Looks like we can get approx 4 6 x4 tables in the rooms how does this sound

Table 1 WW2 BoB
    Table 2 WW1
    Table 3 WW2 Pacific
    Table 4 Zeppelin

Or
    We wanting a tournament similar to "Time of Aces"
    I have desert WWII planes and Eastern Front ones which I plan to bring with me... Maybe one WWII table with theartre changing every game or two? Otherwise I would like to play both WWI and WWII. So a timed system would be cool so I do not miss out on games I'd like to join because I'm still busy with another...

And the name, this is my attempt: WINGS OVER EUROPE 2014.

Campanile is fully booked tried to get it Friday & Saturday

Now booked into the Doncaster East Premier Inn. Hope they have plenty of tables in the bar. Game on.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    They must have heard we were coming already Neil.
    Rob.

I think lists all types of hotels and B&B's in the area hope this helps .http://www.iknow-yorkshire.co.uk/sou...and_breakfast/

Now booked into the Doncaster East Premier Inn. Hope they have plenty of tables in the bar. Game on.
    I've just booked in here too. £116.50 including brekkie for the 2 nights.

Coming down Saturday morning with Guzzi (Paul). So only one night for us. See you all there. And here's hoping I can get the time off work. New bosses, new shifts, role on December 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I've just booked in here too. £116.50 including brekkie for the 2 nights.
    Also booked for Fri, Sat night

I only do WW1 as well, so won't be that interested in anything else. I still like the idea of starting with early war planes and moving through the war and tackling different scenarios (dog fights,2-seaters,balloons,bombers) and building up ace points etc.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Please, a title without the word CON in it...Especially EUROCON - that sounds like something run in Brussels or Maastricht
    Quite so DM - what about calling it 'Wings of Britain 2014' or similar ?

EUROCON, AEROCON, DROMECON, UKCON, WoGCON, UK SCRAMBLE, ANGELS15, (with 2014 added)
    I like the ANGELS idea, and I liked the film but why not start with ANGELS14 or UK ANGELS '14?
    As I also liked "Wings", we could have UK WINGS'14
    calling it UK**** shows it is held in the UK, is a national event, and means if necessary it can move venues should the museum decide we have been there long enough some time in the future.
    I only fly WW1, but would like to try WW2 if poss.
    I will be bringing the tin tent and will happily walk to whichever pub/hotel is picked as the primary watering hole.

I like the ANGELS 14 UK idea. That way we can just add the year in the middle. What does everyone think?

Any concerns over the name being confused with the game Angles 20?

Not that it is my place, but I'll put forth "Wings over Britain" You could even do that name in front of the last two digits of the year for a logo. Britain in the name would still give you flexibility to move it around the big island (right?) if the venue needs to change in the future?

Nice idea Keith.

You could take the site wings from up top the page, swap the cross hairs out for the year number, do those numbers up in Union Jack colors, slap the name of the even underneath and call it a day.

I like "Wings over Britain" for all above reasons It may start something annual

OK me being a thicko Geordie who can't get around a cag programme, can anyone do me a circular union flag without having a white square around it that I can't get rid of. ie I only want a circle union jack/flag. Please?

PM me if you can and I'll send my email address.

I too would prefer mainly WWI games, but like many of the others would like to try WWII to see what the differences are.

Wings of Britain 2014, has a nice ring about it. Good choice Keith. You could have Wings of Britain in a half moon with the Union Jack in the middle and 2014 as the bottom part of the moon.

Wings of Britain +1 for me

Again, I'm a WW1 fan. And I too like the idea of starting with early war kites and moving through the ages over the two days. I have quite a large pile of early war stuff which will only get bigger between now and then so I can help out there.

I also have a yearning to see as many of Clipper's lovely airship models brought together for a climactic airship vs. zeppelin game. Or at least to allow us to marvel at the spectacle of a load of these lovely gasbags all together (and I don't mean the players!)

I suggested 'Wings of Britain 2014' (rather than over) as a play on words between the game title, the location and the primary participants.
    The format could also be used for other nations Wings get together's should they wish to.

I quite like Wings over Britain with a patch Doncaster 2014, we can then keep the wings bit and add extra patches for year and venue, if it continues and venue changes.

I will spend a bit of time trying to work out a few games for the event but just to show my reasoning for the tables.

WW2 BoB Black Knight has an excellent coastal layout for this and enough planes for pilots to control a couple each of fighters or bombers. Maybe we could even field a full Sqn.

WW2 Pacific, at Derby had a quick look at Scaflocs carrier strike, looked good fun but needed more aircraft and players.

WW1 Zeppelin, this was fantastic at Derby we had 8 players trying to shoot down the Zeppelin cracking fun

WW1 this for any game I have a few aircraft but would love to see others work here would be the place.

I thought games running from Bullets and Eindekkers, Pups and Albatross D2, Sopwith Triplanes and Albatross D3, Italian and Austrian, Phalz and Albatross DV and Camels, SE5 and DR1 ( maybe redo Voss fight) Snipes and Fokker DVII.

If we can squeeze in another table, 2 seater or bomber actions

OR

do we want a weekend tournament, Black Knight has already offered to run one, let us know what games you would like and I'll have a chat with the WingCo and Black ?Knight to see what we can do

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

I like the ANGELS 14 UK idea. That way we can just add the year in the middle. What does everyone think?
    I like that idea but how about writing it "Angels One-Four" like it would be said in a radio transmission.
    I may be up for this if there`s cheap accommodation like camping available as I`m on a tight budget and I suspect most of my funds will go on the train fare.

Hi I have just signed all the documentation for room hire etc . I have explained we are expecting late confirmations etc but when people know they are definatley going if you can let me know so I can keep the venue informed and also if we have any one wanting to camp or need disabled parking etc .
    Cheers Richard

Hi Richard,
    I can confirm my intention to attend and bring a caravan if camping is available

and may I say thank you for all your hard work and time spent arranging the venue

What?? 2014??

Well, I was taking a rellie over to Arnhem for the 70th celebrations but just heard has been admitted to hospital, and it looks like a one-way trip sadly.

I guess I'm in then. Better sort the Premier Inn before you lot fill it.

Thanks John I have added you and guntruck and will get the full details regarding caravans and post them asap ,I am away for a few days from wednesday so might not be able to update as often as I would like.
    Cheers

Here's a rough set of ideas. Blue not working on printer on Union Flag but I think you'll get the idea. Obviously wording can be manipulated.

I am starting to get the idea of what I want from this Neil.Will you add me one with the Wings over Britain and Doncaster over the top please so that I can have a look at that.
    Rob.

Liking the wings over Britain and the Angels one four.

Working on that now. Will post soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I am starting to get the idea of what I want from this Neil.Will you add me one with the Wings over Britain and Doncaster over the top please so that I can have a look at that.
    Rob.

Working on that now. Will post soon.
    Thanks Neil.
    Rob.

Can I have a show of hands as to who has any of the following for Doncaster:

Zeppelins.
    Blimps.
    Sea Planes.

(Please indicate quantity and types)
    Last edited by Lt. S.Kafloc; 10-09-2013 at 15:05.

Thought we could have something like 'Wings over the water' - celebrate linking up with the chaps from the continent - also links back to WoW... just a thought, or as it will be 2014 - what about the Centenary Flight.. ok am waffling now, its been a long day will ponder some more on a catchy name

I have one of the balloon sets (the brown one, lol)

next time I will scroll down and read all posts before jumping in half cocked - I do like the angels one four idea with matching motif (and medal Herr Oberst ! lol)

ooh on an unrelated note - just realised that was post number 250 !!!

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Similar Missions

1. NATIONAL AERODROME DAY ??
    By Hedeby in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 11-19-2012, 12:17
  2. Official Aerodrome Accessories Mug Shot thread
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-31-2011, 00:20
  3. National records?
    By kombofink in forum Officer's Club