Ares Games
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Convention Medals

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Attendance at a convention does not mean any Wings event will be well attended if at all. Convention size to me has been irrelevant. I've had 16 players at Council, attendance 300, and 6 players at Cold Wars, attendance 1500. (years ago one Cold Wars game had no one sign up) I've found by continually running Wings at conventions (other than Origins) the following has grown. Origins has an attendance to die for. There are enough regulars to put on every game but then the casual pilots surge in to fill the games for wonderful levels of participation. At Huzzah in Maine I started with 1-2 players and 5 years later draw 6-10 per game.

A couple of thoughts...the work it takes to put on a game does not change if it is a Major or Minor con. Why should running 1 game at a named Major convention out-weigh running 5-6 games at a Minor convention?
    The work to make/track/award gongs for events probably eclipse the effort to run some games at events! We need a gong for the gong creators/trackers!

I will run games, gong or not. It is for the love of the game, not the gong that we do this.
    Peter,
    This is a cool point.

For the first two years at BottosCon, I ran six games throughout the weekends. For a few other events, I ran games for as many time slots as I could.

Some Cons are only one day, so only two-ish slots with which to run any fixed games. For some Cons, I just run an open table with planes on it, until someone asks to play. Some days, I only show the game mechanics to some passers-by, as most times everyone has come to do something else. Battlestar Galactica was like that at PhenomaCon, except that two people showed up from Comox, who knew I would be there, and wanted to check out the game. They were at the Con as support for someone else's booth.

Perhaps there may be a place for GM awards, and Participant awards, not necessarily Convention specific awards? Don't know how that would work, admin-wise.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I just awarded the LL Participant medals to Jager, flash, and OldGuy59, so we are up to date on those.

As to the Major/Minor medals...

In the beginning we were awarding medals for all the cons that people did. This is where you get the hand full of different named cons out there like Rockcon and such. As the site grew we had to figure out a way to curtail all the work this was causing. That is when we came up with the Major and Minor categories. The old named con medals were retired, but we did not remove those medals that were awarded up to that point. There was discussion on the site about each country picking 2 Major cons. The criteria for selection was pretty much left up to those countries to decide since the cons varied so much from country to country. For the US, we selected Origins since that was the official con of the site. GenCon was selected as the other since it was both the largest con in the US and because that is the con that Ares sees as the most important con for them as a company.

If we need medals made for new countries, we just have to have the two Major named cons listed. We can have the artwork for the medals made up and added to the site along with a Minor medal. The GM(s) running events at the cons will have to put in for the medals to be awarded to members of the site.

Thanks Herr Oberst - we can now feel properly attired.

"He is wise who watches"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Missions

1. National Convention medals.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-18-2013, 11:59
  2. Convention Medals...
    By The Cowman in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-21-2013, 08:50
  3. Convention Organisers.