Ares Games
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Convention Medals

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian (Grey)
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Ah, but did you play Wings of War/Wings of Glory at any of them? If not, that would be like me trying to claim credit for GenCon 2010, '08, '06 and Enfilade 2011 and '08...
    Nope. I guess "Ace of Aces" doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    I agree. I've been doing this gaming thing for a long time, and while not much of a con goer, many of my friends are. Historicon has become THE wargaming con to go to in this area.
    Maybe if you put your cases to the Oberst he, would downgrade one of the others and swap in Histricon for you John.
    We have a problem over here in that our three largest shows are The World Champs, Salute in London, and Sheffield Triples. When the Oberst asked me which I wanted as majors, Triples and The World Champs were the obvious ones. We did not have Salute at that time. Now we have done it once, but I am loathe to drop Triples in favour of it until they confirm it as a regular commitment, otherwise I will just be mucking him about by asking for changes back, if it falls through. With all the work needed in producing new medals etc, it is better for us to just carry on as we are for the moment.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Hi Folks,

During the past year, we moved away from having con medals for every con. Each region has two major cons, and the minor con medal. Con medals can become unwieldily rather quickly, as they have in the past.

As for U.S. major cons, it is hard to argue against Origins, given it is the con at which Aerodrome players rally, at which the Lend Lease takes place, and at which we have our annual tournament. The rationale behind Gen-Con is that its size puts it in the forefront of U.S. cons.

As for Canada, I suggest the Canadian members discuss the representative Canadian con, and pass that info onto to us.

I will update the convention lists this week.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Hi Folks,

During the past year, we moved away from having con medals for every con. Each region has two major cons, and the minor con medal. Con medals can become unwieldily rather quickly, as they have in the past.

As for Canada, I suggest the Canadian members discuss the representative Canadian con, and pass that info onto to us.

Well, no-one from the Canadian contingent jumped into this dicussion, other than Darell [Grumpybear] (Link: Convention Medals - Con Suggestions!).

My current Con attendance is:
    Major:
    GottaCon 2015 - 3600+ attended - hosted six Wings of Glory games (WWI & WWII)

Minor:
    BottosCon 2013, 2014 - 300+ attended - hosted six Wings of Glory games (WWI first year, both second year), prize support from Imperial Hobbies
    InCON 2014, 2015 - 300+ attended - hosted six Wings of Glory games (WWI & WWII), prize support from Ares Games and Service Honoured (my business).

GottaCon just folded, and will not likely be back, so not a contender for future major con consideration. I also expect, despite the lack of input at pesent, that something in Ontario will be a big contender, along with something like Trumpeter Salute in Vancouver.

So, I propose, for now, that we just award Canadian Major Con medals to people who attend/GM Wings of Glory games at cons with 2500+ attendees, and Canadian Minor Con medals to people who attend/GM Wings of Glory games at cons with 200+ attendees.

Thoughts?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Mike, not sure where you're getting your numbers from for BottosCon. In 2015 we had an overall attendance of 115. In 2014 just over 100 attendees, and in 2013 we had 95 or 96 attendees during the 3 days of the convention.

GottaCon may have had 3600 attendees, but they weren't all playing Wings of Glory were they? Maybe it's just me, but the attendance criteria seems a tad out of whack. I think we have good numbers for Wings of Glory at BottosCon.

Rob Bottos

Is this site still ACTIVE?

Due to Real Life issues, this has been put on a back burner for a little while. But, there are things in the works for this.

A proposed design was forwarded to me for review, but we never settled on a criteria for awarding them. A sneak peak at the drafts:

Attendee - Bronze
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Medal-Canada01.png 
Views:	146 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	207086

GM - Silver

Name:	Medal-CanadaGM03.png 
Views:	145 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	207087

When I get some more input (convention attendance?) and when the designer is available, these could start being awarded.

As to numbers, for Canada we could go for 2000+ for major cons, and 50+ for minor? Conventions shouldn't be just a group of players getting together. It could exclude things like International Tabletop Gaming Day (Links: International Tabletop Day 2016 -/- Facebook - Tabletop Day), if there isn't an admission fee and some overall structure/venue/event planning.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 09-12-2016 at 11:11.
    Mike

I agree with the numbers, and the design is pretty good.

My only critique would be to put the MAPLE LEAF in RED in the place of the silver star for all Canadian Ribbons.

When you get this Rolling again, please include NIAGARA BOARDGAMING WEEKEND (runs every January in Niagara Falls) in your list of conventions... here is the link to the site:

www.niagaraboardgaming.com

I think it is in its 14th year.

I have moved to DECEMBER 13.... banter there!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamewyzard View Post
    I agree with the numbers, and the design is pretty good.

My only critique would be to put the MAPLE LEAF in RED in the place of the silver star for all Canadian Ribbons.

When you get this Rolling again, please include NIAGARA BOARDGAMING WEEKEND (runs every January in Niagara Falls) in your list of conventions... here is the link to the site:

www.niagaraboardgaming.com

I think it is in its 14th year.
    Yeah, Art. Stars are American. Maple leaves for Canadians, eh!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Yeah, Art. Stars are American. Maple leaves for Canadians, eh!
    I would say, that goes without say!

BTW, how do we turn on the SIGNATURE line?

BTW, how do we turn on the SIGNATURE line?
    Wings of Glory Aerodrome - Paid Subscriptions
    Mike

Name:	CanadaGM03Leaf.png 
Views:	134 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	207120

Much more a Canadian medal. The leaf is borrowed from the Canadian Forces Honours and Awards devices, and I have the silver, gold, and red leaves to use for rankings within the medals. Great idea, Art!

As for going without saying, the creator was probably following the format for all the other medals. We may start a trend for other countries!
    Mike

Name:	CanadaGM03Leaf.png 
Views:	134 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	207120

Much more a Canadian medal. The leaf is borrowed from the Canadian Forces Honours and Awards devices, and I have the silver, gold, and red leaves to use for rankings within the medals. Great idea, Art!

As for going without saying, the creator was probably following the format for all the other medals. We may start a trend for other countries!
    OH YA!

PERFECT!

Now, THAT is what a Canadian medal should look like.

I have been thinking about the Criteria and I don't think medals should be given, per say, for attending a CON based on the size of the con.

If you are going to set up a criteria people can respect, then everyone should have some opportunity to earn them. Attendance alone should qualify. Then, the number of times they attend.

For the Big Cons, you can simply have an Attendance Medal and that's it. Everyone who goes, gets the medal, maybe add a number to the ribbon for the number of times over the years, people go.

Purpose of giving these out would be to encourage people to participate. I would be more than happy to help advise. Also, I am a database developer. I work with Filemaker Pro (compatible on both Mac and PC and some mobile devices like iPads and iPhones). I would be more than happy to negotiate something with you to write the database for keeping track.

Let me know if you are interested and we can talk.

That's how it started out Art. I think the problem was the time & effort it takes to design and assign them etc so Herr Oberst limited it in order to control things .

"He is wise who watches"

Dave,

Is the project now dead?

Pardon my dumb questions, I haven't been on the site in ages!! Just getting back into Wings of War... or rather... Glory!

Trying to surf the site and catch up!

Let me get ahold of the administrator for the medals, and see where this sits. It may be a while, though.
    Mike

Dave,

Is the project now dead?

Pardon my dumb questions, I haven't been on the site in ages!! Just getting back into Wings of War... or rather... Glory!

Trying to surf the site and catch up!
    Medals are still awarded for recognised conventions at which the forum is represented and at which you join in and play - the GM usually has to indent for them on your behalf.

"He is wise who watches"

Just come on this one chaps.

At the moment I am caretaking the award of medals on the site for the Oberst as Eric is too busy with personal matters. I can't, however, authorize new medals to be struck. That is why the Doncaster Medal is nearly three years overdue.
    For new medals, and the criteria under which they may be awarded you would need to contact Keith direct.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Just come on this one chaps.

At the moment I am caretaking the award of medals on the site for the Oberst as Eric is too busy with personal matters. I can't, however, authorize new medals to be struck. That is why the Doncaster Medal is nearly three years overdue.
    For new medals, and the criteria under which they may be awarded you would need to contact Keith direct.

Rob.
    Wing Cmdr,
    The medal was actually in the works in 2014 (Link: Convention Medals - Con Suggestions!. The medal I posted was the draft by Eric [7eat51] and Sue [Ling].

It actually stalled due to lack of input (Major and Minor Cons in Canada). Also, if it is implemented, it would need an administrator, if not taken up by current 'foreign-to-Canadian-Wing' administrators.

It would be nice to post up some of my involvement, but I have been patient, because there are Real Life issues involved. I PM'ed Eric to see if we could move this forward, or at least get the templates to assist in moving it forward.

We should get this medal up for the Canadian Wing in some form or other. And if other Wings are waiting, perhaps we need to address more than the Canadian Wing issue?

PS: My current Con attendance is:
    Canadian
    Major:
    GottaCon 2015 - 3600+ attended - hosted six Wings of Glory games (WWI & WWII)

Minor:
    BottosCon 2013, 2014, 2015 - 100+ attended - hosted six Wings of Glory games (WWI first year, both second year, both third year), prize support from Imperial Hobbies and Ares
    InCON 2014, 2015, 2016 - 300+ attended - hosted six Wings of Glory games (WWI & WWII), prize support from Ares Games and Service Honoured (my business).
    MosaiCon 2016 - #TBA - hosted two each WGF and WGS scenarios and a few open dogfights.

US
    Minor:
    Enfilade 2013, 2014 - ? - Participant both years, only received a medal for the first year.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 09-16-2016 at 16:33.
    Mike

Hi Mike.
    I am aware of the issues involved.
    If any medals which are in the lists are outstanding, just apply for them in the medal table and I will award them.
    Rob.

Mike and CA pilots. The ground rules have been laid for how Con medals will be created and issued. The next step for you guys is to decide on what Cons are going to be your two Major Cons. You will need a distinct medal for each of those and another for the Minor Con medal. I am fine with either you or Darell taking point on the CA medals.

Rob, with Sue out of pocket, perhaps you and Mike and work together to come up with the design for the Doncastor medal. I'll add it to the site and you can awarded it as needed. It's way past due I'm afraid Same for the Prague Con secondary years.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Mike and CA pilots. The ground rules have been laid for how Con medals will be created and issued. The next step for you guys is to decide on what Cons are going to be your two Major Cons. You will need a distinct medal for each of those and another for the Minor Con medal. I am fine with either you or Darell taking point on the CA medals.

Rob, with Sue out of pocket, perhaps you and Mike and work together to come up with the design for the Doncastor medal. I'll add it to the site and you can awarded it as needed. It's way past due I'm afraid Same for the Prague Con secondary years.

[QUOTE=ling;344993]Here are the Doncaster medal designs. Are they correct, do I have all the levels?

Ling knocked these out for 14. As I only need one medal per year they would now do for One year/ 2years/ three years/four years attendance. 1914 being the inaugural year. We do not need any hierarchical structure as everyone is deemed equal in attending putting on a game or organization. They should also do for Sails as well.

Name:	Doncaster14-01.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	208001Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Doncaster14-02.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	208002Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Doncaster14-03.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	208003Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Doncaster14-04.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	208004

What do you think chief?
    Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 09-27-2016 at 12:27.

Go for it Robert.

I wonder what the Copyright Laws are about calling it WoW but using items from Wings of Glory on the table.
    Rob.
    In that case we'd all end up sharing a very big cell, as like many other of the Old Hands, I still have minis, maneuver decks and rulers with the original name on them!

Hi Mike.
    I am aware of the issues involved.
    If any medals which are in the lists are outstanding, just apply for them in the medal table and I will award them.
    Rob.
    Does one have to supply witness testimony to claim the award for the aforementioned action?

The only ones which need to be verified are Medals for events. The Organizer does that.
    Also any medals involving money have to be done by Keith. he also handles Top poster awards.
    Any others either myself or Eric can ratify.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Keith,
    I don't think we are going to be able to assign the Major Con medal for Canada, until we get some more player attending the bigger cons (none will be anything like the ones in the USA). For now, though, we should be able to put up minor cons? There are a few of us on the Forum that are working to spread our passion of Wings of Glory up in the Great White North.

I just attended Curious ComiCon in Nanaimo, with an estimated attendance of 2000+. I wouldn't call it a major gaming con, as it was a 'free-to-attend' event, without tickets. It did have prize give-aways, contests, guests, etc... However, there was no game registrations, nor sign-up sheets. Wings of Glory was strictly demo games, with some takers. MosaiCon (September 2017 in Nanaimon) and next year's ComiCon? Who knows.

Can we consider giving out Minor Con medals? At least until the game grows, and infiltrates the bigger cons.

Tons of different versions of the Minor Con medals here: OldGuy59's Odds and Ends Album
    Mike

Mike, i would PM Keith with this message as he will spot it more easily.
    He will be away from the Drome for a short time.
    Rob.

In that case, I must be up for the Guns of AUsgust, Williamsburg Muster and bar............ Did somebody say BAR?

Unfortunately Stuart Minor Con medals are a once for all unlike Major Cons.
    You should certainly be up for that medal if one of your organizers applies for it I will deal with it for you.
    Rob.

Unfortunately Stuart Minor Con medals are a once for all unlike Major Cons.
    You should certainly be up for that medal if one of your organizers applies for it I will deal with it for you.
    Rob.
    Sorry to be a bit dense, but who is 'one of my organizers'? I guess you don't mean the wife in this instance

Hi Stuart.
    I mean the Drome member who was in charge of booking your table at the event.

Eg. Ken the Cowman at Origins, or probably Rich Schwab at Williamsburg.
    Rob.

Hi Stuart.
    I mean the Drome member who was in charge of booking your table at the event.

Eg. Ken the Cowman at Origins, or probably Rich Schwab at Williamsburg.
    Rob.
    Well I've played in almost all Richard's games at Williamsburg for the past several years now; last time around, also organized a pick up WWI game on an available table, and have booked my own for next week. I guess that counts as unconfirmed kills - not that it matters much at my pay grade

That's fine then Stuart. Just get Rich to ask for the medal for you.
    Rob.

Bumping the Convention Medal thing, again.

I was very fortunate to be selected as the Lend-Lease Member for 2019, and I am very grateful for that. However, it was done without any Convention Medals for my Canadian efforts. I can't be the only person that falls into that category, if we consider other countries without large groups of players in large communities. There are many players in Canada (280 members on this Forum, active or otherwise. And 50 Canadian T&T Kickstarter participants!), as I have seen in posts other than our Aerodrome, and there are people playing Wings of Glory at them.

But for me, it would be nice to get a medal or two for the cons and demo events I do attent. Can we consider using the medals that Sue [ling] created and just using Major/Minor categories for the size of conventions? As I mentioned above: I would say for Canada Major would be 2500+ attendees, and Minor would be 200+ attendees.

Name:	Canada01d.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	276632

PS: Niagara Boardgaming Weekend - Gallery - 2017 War Room - Wings of Glory
    Site Home Page: www.niagaraboardgaming.com
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 10-14-2019 at 09:33.
    Mike

...I was very fortunate to be selected as the Lend-Lease Member for 2019, and I am very grateful for that. However, it was done without any Convention Medals for my Canadian efforts....
    They should be forthcoming Mike... I got them for Origins but, like Karl, we didn't get a Lend-Lease Participant Medal.
    As for major and minor cons you only get them once so when set up you can indent for them as can any other member needing one.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    They should be forthcoming Mike... I got them for Origins but, like Karl, we didn't get a Lend-Lease Participant Medal.
    As for major and minor cons you only get them once so when set up you can indent for them as can any other member needing one.
    Maybe I don't understand medals well. There are 'Awards' (medals?) and 'Aerial Victories' (?). Would the Aerial Victories be repeat awards? If that were the case, I could get:
    One Major Canadian Con medal:
    GottaCon 2015 - 3000+ attendees, with one Aerial Victory; and,

One Minor Canadian Con medal with a whack of Aerial Victories (14):
    BottosCon 2013, 2014, 2015 (Up to 300);
    CoVaCon 2018 (400);
    Curious ComiCon 2017, 2018, 2019 (Free, but up to 2000);
    InCon 2016, 2017 (Up to 400);
    InCONceivable 2014, 2015 (Up to 300);
    MosaiCon 2016 (400+);
    M-Con 2017, 2018 (400+, 2018 including UK Member Mike [mikeemagnus], so he would get a Canadian Participant's medal, too.).

Minor Events - Game Demos (Not yet considered for medals?):
    Curious Comics Gaming Extravaganza 2017, 2019
    Mike

One moot point Gents.
    Wearing my Admirals hat.
    What ever is decided here needs to be mirrored on Sails as we also have games at shows!

Bligh.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I have started a discussion with the Powers that Be concerning the missing LL Participant Medals (for Karl, Dave, and you, Mike), as well as a Canadian Minor Con Participant medal and also a GM medal, similar to what exists for the UK, US, EU, and AUS. If there is to be Canadian Major Con Participant and GM medals, then there probably needs to be some discussion on which con(s) are deserving of such. As of now, the Minor Con medal for participants or GMs can only be earned once - there are no bronze/silver/gold/multiple awards for them. The 'named con' medals do have successive 'grades', but not all have all four grades.

All the best,
    Matt

PS There should be continuity with the Anchorage medals, as well, Rob - I agree...

Australia

Minor cons

Gamma Con - 7,000 attendees, about 20 playing BSG at one time or another. https://gammacon.org.au/
    Pax Aus - 35,000(!) attendees, about 50 playing WGS, WGF, 3&3, BSG. https://aus.paxsite.com/

Wintercon is grandfathered in as the second major con, but Pax should really be classed as major, along with Cancon. So minor for now.

Future cons - WGF sometimes gets played in them

MOAB - http://www.motherofallbattles.org/
    Little Wars - http://www.littlewars.com.au/

As discussed with Keith, when we set up the system, it was agreed that only two major Cons per country should be admissible as otherwise we in GB would have too many. As it happens we have no major Con at present because both the World Championships and Sheffield Triples became defunct a couple of years ago. I postponed doing anything about this just in case they were resurrected. There were discussions on a new venue for the Worlds but it came to nothing. It looks as if we will need to select two new venues. The one in the North and one in the South of England which have a good track record. As retiring UK Wingco I feel it would be wrong for me to choose the new venues, and so am leaving it up to the new Wingco and his Squadron leaders to decide.
    I am against any extension of the Minor con medals, as it would not only detract from the value of the major cons, but make it a headache for the members who have run these cons in the past to discover whom they should recommend for the two three and four year medals after all this time.
    Bear in mind that these requests have to come from the person in charge of our tables at the event, and not the participants themselves. Keith and I did this in order to be sure that the right medal went to the right person, and to prevent any multiple requests for the same medal which again can cause a lot of extra work for we administrators.
    Sorry about this diatribe, but we all need to be singing the same song.
    Rob.

Maybe I don't understand medals well. There are 'Awards' (medals?) and 'Aerial Victories' (?). Would the Aerial Victories be repeat awards?
    I see you got your Prague gongs Mike, congrats.

Awards are medals - The Total Award number is used because only 21 medals can be shown in the display.
    Aerial Victories - the medals each have a victory value, the total of which is given in the display but I don't know what the values for particular medals are, or, if they can be viewed by us on the front end.

If Aerial Victories were repeat awards then scores for some would easily be three-four times what they are currently are, however, the management of that would require a lot of time & effort, way more than it's worth which is why we stopped having individual medals for every con we had a game at.
    Not sure exactly how Major & minor cons are decided, one would imagine that the biggest events we regularly have a table at are the major ones, others are minor, though in the UK we apparently have to have a minimum of three forum members in attendance to make it an 'official WoGA event'. This would naturally discounts the usual demo games in stores etc.
    Last edited by flash; 10-15-2019 at 02:39.

"He is wise who watches"

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Perhaps to aid any further discussion, the following list might be some help...

A quick perusal of the 'Medals' list shows the following information concerning medals available to members who attend and participate in WoG/Sails/T&T/BSG events:

In the US - VulCon, TaciCon, RockCon, Historicon, GenghisCon, Enfilade, GenCon, Origins, Minor Con

In the UK - Warfare, Legionary, Attack, Derby World Championships, Triples, Doncaster, Minor Con

In the EU - PragueCon, Minor Con

In AUS - WinterCon, CanCon, Minor Con

Most of the 'named' cons have a Participant's medal and GM's medal, often with various levels (i.e. years attending/GMing). The Minor Con medal is just in two types - Participant and GM - each with one level. We also have the Lend-Lease medals (another category of 'con associated' medals), with the Member and Ground Crew categories, the Ground Crew variant in multiple levels depending on the number of raffles needed to fund the LL Member's trip.

As Rob mentioned above, a couple of the UK events no longer take place, and that may be the case with some of the US events - I am not familiar with all the US cons. I guess if we are looking for parity of a sort with things, then we need some discussion on 'named' cons versus 'minor' cons, although I am not sure we really need parity...the number of cons that take place is the number of cons that take place. I imagine the larger number of US and UK 'named' con medals is due the numbers of US and UK Forum members attending and playing at those cons in the earlier days of the Forum, compared to those in the EU and AUS.

Moving forward, perhaps conversation involving what differentiates a 'named' con from a 'minor' con would be of value? It would allow for some consensus on the subject or guidelines for assigning various new or existing conventions the appropriate 'status'. So too would be a reminder/discussion of what 'qualifies' as a 'minor con event' - Dave mentioned the need for x-number of Forum members in attendance/playing the game for it to count. Does the game have to be run by a Forum member to count? Perhaps these guidelines already exist somewhere... Also in the same vein, establishing that each area/country has two major cons (for medals) and a minor con (for medals for cons other than the majors) would be a good idea, should those places warrant it. Or if more 'named' cons are 'necessary', that certainly should be discussed, too. So Zoe's mention of the Australian conventions and Mike's listing of the Canadian events will allow further discussion in these areas. Again, looking at the medals list, there are more US and UK cons than there are for conventions elsewhere, but as I mentioned above, that would seem to be due to a 'then versus now' aspect of things.

Given that there are probably quite a few small conventions that take place throughout the US/UK/EU/AUS, having more than one level of Minor Con Participant and GM medals would be a true nightmare to keep track of - so a single medal for each makes things easy. Yes, it doesn't 'reward' members who go to multiple minor cons during the year for each con attended/game played, but then again, I don't think earning a medal is what folks go to cons for in the first place. Even the 'named' con medals stop at the fourth award (gold star, usually), so someone who has attended and played for seven years only gets as high as a 4-year medal.

Rob, I don't know if all of the above medals correspond to awards on the Anchorage - if there are medals here that need equivalents there, then that is another thing that needs updating.

Food for thought, perhaps - we can take this discussion wherever it needs to go (or not...)

All the best,
    Matt

We've only awarded the minor or major con medals in the UK since they came into being. The named ones other than Doncaster are defunct since that date are they not ?
    Dave mentioned the need for x-number of Forum members in attendance/playing the game for it to count.
    It was news to me until Wingco brought it up last year.

"He is wise who watches"

To answer this question by Dave.

"though in the UK we apparently have to have a minimum of three forum members in attendance to make it an 'official WoGA event'. This would naturally discounts the usual demo games in stores etc".

I don't propose to go into all the reasons for my suggestion about numbers at a con as it is being confused with attendances deciding what should constitute a Major Con. That was something to which I was not party.

My rule was that no UK. Con should be accepted by or Organizers for putting on a game, unless we could supply a minimum of four players. A greeter, a Games Master, a helper for the new players advice during the game, and A.N. Other. to be free to wander round get a cup of tea etc. This would give each a break in turn and allow for rotation of jobs during the day. Why this is needed is for sheer professional presentation. No holdups in the play! No gaps where everyone goes off for lunch, a friendly face to explain the Info on the game, and one to help the players at ALL TIMES DURING THE DAY. It is as important as no drinks, or snacks on the playing surface. Sheer professionalism!

You would be astounded as to how quickly word circulates around the shows and show organizers if you put on a less than par effort. Chris and others like Flash, Neil, etc have spent a lot of time getting our reputation up here in Britain. That is why we get so many invites to shows. That is why we get offers of multiple tables, now not just for WWI and II, but also for Sails. However, that requires more commitment by members. More people to run more tables at more shows. This can be a self destructive process, as we over stretch our capabilities to put on a fully manned show at every venue. You can lose a reputation in a couple of seasons this way. Then you have no shows, or very few. Certainly not the prestigious ones.

Secondly.

The bit about Demo games in stores is valid. If every Biggles and Ginger got a Medal for this there would be no way of checking if it was a Fred Carno event or no. Also as mentioned elsewhere, it would become so unwieldy as to be unsupportable by the Admin. Even now after a show like Origins or even Doncaster, it takes me hours to put in the correct Medals and deduct earlier ones from the people who have been given upgrades. All done manually this is a large chunk of my time each year even with the lists given to me by the Games Masters at each event. Many other medals can be applied for by the recipient such as Photos, years of service, and AARs etc. I still try to trawl through the vast number of members and spot any missed medals, but this is getting much harder as the numbers both of members and medals increase. Even with a smaller clientele on sails it is time consuming and mistakes creep in, so please bear with me if I try to limit the number of medals available to those we already have, with the exception of anomalies like those brought up over the last few days which certainly need addressing.

Re the scores for each medal, I can only guess at the reasons Keith ascribed to them. Some carry more weighting than others by the nature that they are harder to attain in the first place.
    Those with the star system usually start with a tariff of two points, and increments of one point for each successive level.
    I hope that answers some of the points raised in the last few posts.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Australia

Minor cons

Gamma Con - 7,000 attendees, about 20 playing BSG at one time or another. https://gammacon.org.au/
    Pax Aus - 35,000(!) attendees, about 50 playing WGS, WGF, 3&3, BSG. https://aus.paxsite.com/

Wintercon is grandfathered in as the second major con, but Pax should really be classed as major, along with Cancon. So minor for now.

Future cons - WGF sometimes gets played in them

MOAB - http://www.motherofallbattles.org/
    Little Wars - http://www.littlewars.com.au/
    Gack! What is up with the numbers?
    Population of Australia: 24+ million, and Cons in the thousands.

Population of Canada: 37+ million, and Cons have attendance listings in the hundreds.
    Trumpeter Salute, Canada's largest miniature gaming convention, and second largest in the Pacific Northwest (Canada and US): 275 attendees? Really?
    Looking at cons across the country, most list attendances in the hundreds, if close to a thousand in some instances.
    Breakout Con 2018 in Toronto listed 1400 attendees after moving to a new venue, which they called 'explosive growth'.

I'd suggest that the size of country, and therefore travel is an issue, but the terrain in Australia has similar difficulties.

PS: PhenomaCon 2019 was not mentioned above, as I demo'ed BSG only, with a display of WoG as a background.
    BTW: First year for the event, and 800 attendees!
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 10-15-2019 at 09:25.
    Mike

Attendance at a convention does not mean any Wings event will be well attended if at all. Convention size to me has been irrelevant. I've had 16 players at Council, attendance 300, and 6 players at Cold Wars, attendance 1500. (years ago one Cold Wars game had no one sign up) I've found by continually running Wings at conventions (other than Origins) the following has grown. Origins has an attendance to die for. There are enough regulars to put on every game but then the casual pilots surge in to fill the games for wonderful levels of participation. At Huzzah in Maine I started with 1-2 players and 5 years later draw 6-10 per game.

A couple of thoughts...the work it takes to put on a game does not change if it is a Major or Minor con. Why should running 1 game at a named Major convention out-weigh running 5-6 games at a Minor convention?
    The work to make/track/award gongs for events probably eclipse the effort to run some games at events! We need a gong for the gong creators/trackers!

I will run games, gong or not. It is for the love of the game, not the gong that we do this.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

To add to the numbers discussion, I did a quick Google search - for 2019...

Origins lists 20,742 visitors
    GenCon lists approximately 70,000 visitors
    Historicon lists 2,272 vistors

As for fill numbers for Wings/Sails/T&T/BSG games, the fill numbers were great at Origins; at GenCon, at most only half the slots were filled; and I would imagine the fill rate was quite good for Peter's games at Historicon - his games always fill up There are certainly reasons why this is the case, and those are things we could discuss should we so desire...

When it comes to major versus minor conventions, as Peter said, just because it has a lot of people attending does not mean there is a lot of Ares miniature games gaming going on, so I don't think we can simply look at raw attendance numbers to determine this.

As to the other conventions in the US that have medals associated with them, I know RockCon is still a going concern - I will have to investigate the others, perhaps. In relation to the future of convention medals, like Rob said above, the recordkeeping and back-and-forth associated with awarding them is rather time-consuming. So 'down-sizing' to two major conventions/medals and then the minor con/medal really does ease the burden. And as Peter says, most GMs or gamers don't go to conventions to run or play games in the hopes they will be awarded a new medal on the Aerodrome Forum...

I look forward to our continued discussion

All the best,
    Matt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. National Convention medals.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-18-2013, 11:59
  2. Convention Medals...
    By The Cowman in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4