Ares Games

Thread: Some uneven scenarios for 7

Default Some uneven scenarios for 7

I finally got a chance to play another few games this past weekend. This time there were 7 of us, so I had an interesting challenge to come up with some balanced scenarios for an uneven number. Yes, I know I could have just had 1 player fly two planes but I find this less than satisfactory. (Firstly, one player gets an extra plane. Secondly, these two planes are likely to be unusually well coordinated - more so than any other two planes as we don't allow communication between players other than hand-waving!) So here are two uneven scenarios for 7 players.

Scenario 1: A simple dog-fight.
    - German forces: 3x Fokker Dr.1, 1x Albatros D.Va
    - British forces: 3x SE5a

In this case the Germans have more planes than the British (and thus more machine guns) and are generally quite maneuverable, if slow.
    The British are fewer in number but their planes are faster, more robust, and have some nifty steep maneuvers.

The results: It surprised me that the Brits were able to shoot down all of the opposition with only one loss. It should be noted, however, that one of the British planes had only 1 damage point left and was off to one side circling and waiting for the fight to end. The other British plane was at 9 of 15 damage points. Quite close, and quite fun!

------------------------------

Scenario 2: A complex anti-balloon mission.
    - German forces: 4x Albatros D.Va with incendiary ammunition
    - British forces: 2x SE5a, 1 Observation Balloon, 4x Infantry trench, 3x 'B' AAMG (without trench fire capability), 2x AA Gun

I used a small base, the size of a standard plane base, for the balloon for it's valid target area. (I dislike balloons that are 200 meters long.) The ground defenses were arrayed in a shallow arc across the table width just in front on the balloon. One player had control of all the ground defenses instead of having a plane.

The results: It was a tough go for the Germans from the start. The left-side AA Gun managed to catch first one, and then three German planes in flak bursts on the approach. All survived but at least one ended up with engine damage as a result. The Germans managed to retaliate, however, destroying one infantry trench and the AA Gun. Only one of the German planes managed a strafing run on the balloon. Rudder damage from an SE5a attack prevented a second one from following. The strafing run managed to start a fire in the balloon. The same plane that strafed the balloon then went on a tear, strafing and destroying an AAMG and two more infantry trenches. (The 4's and 5's were coming out fast and thick from a triple damage deck.) In the meanwhile, the SE5s, the second AA Gun managed and the combined fire of many infantry trenches managed to knock down two of the Albatroses by killing the pilots, though not before they attacked the balloon causing two more fires. The other two Albatroses then attempted to escape. (Both of these had pilot wounds and one had engine damage.) The SE5s, being faster, were easily catching up so the two Germans decided to leave the table rather than be shot down! It's hard to say who won that one! The Germans achieved their objective, destroying the balloon as well as destroying 6 of the 9 ground defenses, but they lost 2 planes doing it with the other two uncertain of whether or not they would make it back across the trenches.

----------------
    There you have it. If you ever end up with 7 players at a session, try one of these scenarios!!

Incidentally, we were shooting peg-to-peg for everything except when shooting at the balloon and infantry trenches. (They are big targets.) The AA Gun bursts also had to cover the peg to count as a hit. We also ignored the rule that base overlap prevents firing. (Planes are small. Even when overlapped they are often 20 or more meters apart... which is ideal firing range!)

Cheers,
    Jon

Thumbs up

G'day Jon!
    Nice solutions for odd number of players & both game looked like fun for all!

Similar Missions

1. Two More Scenarios, Better Personal Success!
    By predhead in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-15-2013, 04:32
  2. Two Quick Scenarios - Two Deaths
    By predhead in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-23-2013, 12:39
  3. Two-Seater Scenarios?
    By bryanruhe in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-16-2013, 22:52
  4. Downloadable scenarios