Ares Games

Thread: The Hunter in the skies.

Default The Hunter in the skies.

As the golden rays of dawn behind him reflected off the clouds, Kyte winged his way over Hun land towards the West and breakfast.
    Although he kept a wary eye open for enemy machines, he knew that none were fast enough to catch him, unless the sausage eaters had partaken of an unusually early breakfast. Drowsiness started to creep over him, partly due to the extreme height, and partly because he had not slept for 18 hours. That fact was mainly due to Professor Henry Walton Jones, and his role as a double agent.
    Pulling himself together, and scanning the sky, he spots a gleam of the sunrise reflecting from the windshield of an aircraft to his right and well below him.
    Taking a closer look he descries several machines including R.N.A.S. Heart of Oak Camels in a serious Dog fight with a whole gaggle of Fokker DVIIs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_4105.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	109242

As he draws nearer he spots yet another Fokker dropping in to party. There are evidently more of them in the cloud base above. For a moment he considers going to the aid of his old friend Triggers and his Wingman, but decides that his presence in a Dogfight like this would not only be unwise but only serve to confuse the issue.
    Turning his back on the action he spots another very perturbing sight.

Name:	DSC_4106.jpg 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	109243

Emerging from the clouds to his left is a Fokker Triplane. By the slight twitch in its wings it is obvious that it has also seen him.

Name:	DSC_4107.jpg 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	109244

It turns toward Kyte cutting off his only remaining route toward the lines.
    Kyte takes the only option open to him and turns toward the Fokker which he recognises as his old adversary, the Jasta 11 ace Christophe von Rogerstein.
    Hoping to slip past his enemy he is astounded when von Rogerstein opens fire starting Kyte’s engine smoking, which proves to Kyte quite convincingly that his cover is blown, and he returns fire wounding von Rogerstein slightly as bullets crease his rib cage.

Name:	DSC_4108.jpg 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	109245

Kyte now neatly side slips past the Fokker.

Name:	DSC_4109.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	109246

The wound has not incapacitated von Rogerstein, however and he throws his machine over in a tight turn to try and get upon the tail of Kyte, who is making off toward the nearest cloud.

Name:	DSC_4110.jpg 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	109247

As von Rogerstein completes his turn Kyte vanishes into the cumulus.

Name:	DSC_4111.jpg 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	109248

Von Rogerstein is now caught napping.

Kyte executes an Immelmann turn concealed by the cloudbank.

Name:	DSC_4112.jpg 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	109249

As the Hun approaches the spot where Kyte disappeared, he suddenly emerges again head on, and slightly above von Rogerstein, with all guns blazing and wind whistling through his flying wires.

Name:	DSC_4114.jpg 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	109250

Caught on the hop von Rogerstein takes some damage and starts to smoke, but this extinguishes almost immediately even as he tries ineffectively to return fire as the two aircraft pass.

Name:	DSC_4115.jpg 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	109251

It is now Kyte’s turn to attempt a tight turn to bring himself behind and above his opponent.

Name:	DSC_4116.jpg 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	109252

And von Rogerstein’s turn to dive for the clouds.

Name:	DSC_4117.jpg 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	109253

As Kyte follows the Fokker into the cloud, von Rogerstein banks, and the two aircraft momentarily sight each other as the flash past.

Name:	DSC_4118.jpg 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	109254

The game of hide and seek continues for a time with more near misses in the blanket of clammy white mist.

Name:	DSC_4119.jpg 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	109255

Both aircraft eventually emerge, heading away from each other, and Kyte ventures a glance at the dog fight baring his escape. It now seems to have developed into a full blown encounter with aircraft all over the sky. No way out there then.

Name:	DSC_4121.jpg 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	109256

Whilst thus occupied, von Rogerstein has taken advantage of Kyte’s inattention and half turning his Fokker gets in a long shot which damages Kyte’s fuselage.

Name:	DSC_4122.jpg 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	109257

As Kyte turns back towards Hun land, von Rogerstein’s turn carries him back into the cloud.

Name:	DSC_4124.jpg 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	109258

Continuing his turn he emerges just as Kyte completes another Immelmann.

Name:	DSC_4125.jpg 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	109259

Name:	DSC_4126.jpg 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	109260

Using his Ace ability as an acrobatic pilot he turns into another frontal attack on the Fokker.

Name:	DSC_4127.jpg 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	109261

The ensuing fusalade cripples Von Rogerstein’s aircraft and it is only by employing his own Ace skills as a lucky pilot, that he dodges a second and this time fatal wound.

Name:	DSC_4129.jpg 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	109262

Having sustained as much damage as he can take, Von Rogerstein puts his nose down and heads for home, whilst Kyte uses the cover of the clouds to avoid any stray aircraft still fighting it out, and heads for the lines.

Name:	DSC_4130.jpg 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	109263

Name:	DSC_4131.jpg 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	109264

Emerging from the cloudbank over No man’s land, he has to run the gauntlet of Allied Archie fire, which fortunately, on this occasion, is no more accurate than its German counterparts.

Name:	DSC_4132.jpg 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	109265

No sooner is he over the British lines, than he is joined by Nigel Bouncer Smythe in his “Biff” ready to sheppard Kyte to GHQ, and help him avoid any unwarranted attention from the R.F.C.

Name:	DSC_4133.jpg 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	109266

Name:	DSC_4134.jpg 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	109267

As he lands the stolen prototype DVIII, he can see a welcoming committee waiting on the tarmac. It is comprised of Maurice Baring, Professor Jones and two unknown Red tab Officers in greatcoats, with their collars up and their peaked caps well down shadowing their faces.

The Butcher’s Bill.
    No charge today save a bit of collateral damage.

Name:	DSC_4135.jpg 
Size:	142.2 KB 
ID:	109268

Rob.

Loved the cloud dogfight Nice report.

What a story! Kyte flying a captured Fokker! What a devious plan of yours, Rob Excellent idea
    But we want to hear the first part of the story! How the hell Kyte get there and stole the aircraft?
    The pic #14 with the enemy emerging from a cloud is perfect.
    Top AAR. As usual

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    What a story! Kyte flying a captured Fokker! What a devious plan of yours, Rob Excellent idea
    But we want to hear the first part of the story! How the hell Kyte get there and stole the aircraft?
    Top AAR. As usual
    operation fokker is confidential

A tour de force Rob ! You sneaky Fokker !

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    Top AAR. As usual
    Never fear you will get the back story in good time Andy. It is just that we have to protect the source of our espionage.
    That was insisted on by Prof Jones and his two friends from the Ministry of dodgy tricks.

Name:	Col Raymond.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	109271

Maybe yo remember this chap from an earlier story.

Rob.

Bravo sir! An AAR of the highest order in every sense. Clever twist with Kyte in the stolen D.VIII, superb photography with the clouds, a great fight, & lovely Dr.1 & D.VIII on display.

Thumbs up

Superb AAR as usual Rob but the photos in this one were outstanding.
    You had me quite stunned when I realised Kyte was flying a D.VIII. Had he turned traitor No, Never! I thought there must be more to this!
    Loved the cameo of the Hearts of Oak boys. Did you hear how their fared.
    Seeing they were involved Rep points are obligatory!
    Last edited by gully_raker; 09-14-2013 at 17:13. Reason: spelling correction!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Superb AAR as usual Rob but the photos in this one were outstanding.
    You had me quite stunned when I realised Kyte was flying a D.VIII. Had he turned traitor No, Never! I thought there must me more to this!
    Loved the cameo of the Hearts of Oak boys. Did you hear how their fared.
    Seeing they were involved Rep points are obligatory!
    I believe that they got a Fokker apiece Baz, but Triggers engine trouble prevented him from catching that White one.
    Rob.

Nice and sneaky does it Rob, and a chance to fly an enemy bird as well.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I believe that they got a Fokker apiece Baz, but Triggers engine trouble prevented him from catching that White one.
    Rob.
    Great news Rob! Who was flying as his Wingman?

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Great news Rob! Who was flying as his Wingman?
    The Wingman for this mission was Justin. I really must get to put the numbers on his machine too.
    Rob.

Wonderful AAR, Rob.

You set a higher standart with every new AAR.

Story, setting, planes,... I love it!

Thank you very much Sven.
    I don't know for how much longer I will be able to keep it up.
    The locker is fast running out of new ammo.
    Rob.

Rob, that was a visually stunning AAR. You really do raise the bar.

Great idea for the story. I admit being confused for a bit, and had to restart. The ending made everything clear, but enticing. I look forward to Part I.

Thanks Eric.
    I'm not making any promises re part one, but tradition has it that I usually do a Christmas special, so watch this space.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I see what you mean! What is that that you use as clouds? And how do your rule where they start and where they end? I loved it! The AAR, the stolen Fokker and the setting. You are at the top, Rob.

Easy answers to this Joaquim. If you need to define the cloud extremities just place them over your plastic ones from the Oberst. These can be used to decide. I do not allow ant firing inside clouds once the whole aircraft is inside. If a plane is partly outside the cloud it can be fired upon or fire at half effect. Special damage is still recorded. Unless the game mechanic requires it clouds do not move as the time a combat lasts in real time would not see clouds in normal weather move very far.
    For storm clouds I use the rules established in the earlier scenario of OTT.
    They are made from Toy filling. You get the same stuff as packing in boxes and cushions. Just tease it out very wispy and then scrunch it up.
    Rob.

I like the idea of following a "ghost" into the clouds. I've read several accounts of it.
    I can't find toy filling in Portugal, but i'll try to find something similar to use.
    Thanks, Rob.

Or Cotton Wool as a substitue

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Mrs Kyte says try looking for polyester wadding.

Name:	389449233_222.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	117399

Rob.

You never cease to amaze me Rob, your an inspiration to us all, those clouds are brilliant and really give your AAR atmosphere. Thank you.

Thanks Rob. My next mission with clouds will be different.

Similar Missions

1. AAR Mission 3: Hunter in the Skies! (Entente)
    By steel_ratt in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-03-2012, 09:19
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-15-2012, 07:05
  3. Mission 3: The Hunter in the Skies
    By Blackronin in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 04-11-2012, 12:22
  4. AAR AAR report - The Hunter in the Skies
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-10-2012, 08:14
  5. AAR Mission 3: The Hunter in the Skies. 52Sq.(The Bulldogs)
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-08-2012, 10:54