Ares Games

Thread: Ju87 Picchiatelli - Zvezda models.

Default Ju87 Picchiatelli - Zvezda models.

Here are some pix of my Zvezda Ju87 models in 1/144 painted for the Regia Aeronautica and more or less based on an illustration of a machine from 309 Squadriglia, 97 Gruppo captured by the British at Tobruk (pix taken from Bill Gunston, "Aircraft of World War II"). Included is a picture of the box art.

National Decals are from a set by "1/144 Direct" if I remember correctly, plane identification numbers are probably spare 1/144 ones from a Japanese pre-painted aircraft & the fuselage stripe is made up from white decal paper. Putting on the individual numbers on the wheel spats had me gnashing my teeth!

I left them a bit paint damaged to suggest they have been doing some hard work under difficult conditions.

I found the plastic of the kits quite soft & "soapy" - they did not hold paint well, even when carefully washed & prepped. Painting the canopies was a nightmare - I always use acrylics for this task as I find it easier to control the paint flow.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 51YDn+VmfXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

6.jpg  

The kit I have, Zvezda painted for BoB (pics to come), painted up no problem. Although the canopy is a real pain to paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    The kit I have, Zvezda painted for BoB (pics to come), painted up no problem. Although the canopy is a real pain to paint.
    yes the canopies were a huge pain - the frames are quite faintly inscribed, so difficult to paint - I was guessing about their placement a lot of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    I build one of the Zvezda Ju-87s, and I don't recall any particular added difficulties as far as painting went. I use acrylics too. I've built one (so far, I have several waiting their turn on the modeling table) Ju-87, a Ju-52, Me-109, IL-2, and 4 LaGG-3s.

Canopies, on the other hand, are always a challenge. With 198 WWII planes in 1/144 scale in my collection, I have gained enough experience in painting 1/144 scale canopies to always be weary when starting one. As a lifelong 1/72 scale builder, my first "canopy nightmare" in 1/144 scale was a trio of Minicraft Ju-88s.

Due to the very nature of the Ju-88 canopies, I was forced to break the project up into a series of short, straight brush strokes. After successfully completing those planes, I adopted that strategy, of using short, straight brush strokes, on nearly every canopy I've painted afterward.

The long, greenhouse style canopies, such as on the Ju-87s, are always challenging though. For me, canopy painting is critical, because it tends to make or break a kit.

Before F-Toys released their awesome B-25 kits, I did a trio of Minicraft B-25s. The kits were turning out good, and as I did the canopies, I was real happy with how straight and with as few errors, I did the canopies to the cockpit and the nose. However, when it was all said and done, I've never been happy with how "thick" the framework turned out. Turns out, I used too heavy a brush stroke, or too wide a brush; but it's always bothered me on what otherwise, are pretty decent models.

For gamepieces, they are just fine though!

One quick thing on "patience being a virtue" and F-Toys; and Murphy's Laws.

When I really got going on WoW, and before WoG WWII ever came out, I was too impatient to wait for the minis, so I embarked on my own 1/144 scale collection. When there wasn't a plane available as a pre-paint, but available as a kit, I would get impatient and buy the kit. A good guy on the forums (haven't seen him on here in a while, Roger_Wilco), who turned me onto the pre-paints in the first place; told me once, if they don't have what you're looking for; just wait, it'll come out soon.

Well, I never could wait. I got the B-25s, and not long after I built them, out comes F-Toys (I just love their stuff) B-25s. I bought a Japanese Emily and Mavis (haven't buily either one yet), and out comes both by F-Toys (or one of the pre-paint outfits, Cafe Reo maybe?). Same thing with the F4F Wildcat, P-39, Hurricane, Ki-43 Oscar, Helldiver...and the list just seems to go on and on. In a former life, I must have really done "Murphy" (whoever he/she is) a serious wrong.

Patience is a virtue...OK, OK...I finally get it.

Geeze, enough already F-Toys...
    (I still don't have any patience, but I get it.)

Let me tempt fate (and Murphy's Laws), by saying...F-Toys (or Cafe Reo) haven't done a B-26 yet!

So take THAT F-Toys!!!!!! (clicks over to E-Bay to check for announcement that F-Toys is releasing a B-26)

Last edited by kaufschtick; 09-13-2013 at 09:08.

Excellent work on all those models. I have to stick with the F-Toys since only a little work has to be done.

A big thumps up on all off those great builds. Straight lines on my canopies are an accidents. An old injury to my right arm makes my writing and fine painting a thing long gone!

Rich

I am currently painting Ju88s & Laggs...

Similar Missions

1. Junker Ju87 Kanonenvogel
    By Thomatchef in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 12:02
  2. WGSF Junkers Ju87 Kanonenvogel
    By Thomatchef in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-02-2013, 07:43
  3. WGS Looking for Il-2 and Ju87 in 1/144
    By Kaiser in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 0