Ares Games

Thread: AAR: Birthday Balloon Busting - Ypres, August 1916

Default AAR: Birthday Balloon Busting - Ypres, August 1916

On Sunday I went to see my father who was celebrating his 77th birthday. After a very Teutonic lunch of Schweinebraten, Wurst, Sauerkraut, Sempf and Schwarzbrot washed down with a few bottles of good Bavarian Oettinger beer, followed by a rousing round of "Hoch soll er leben, drei mal hoch!" we decided it was time to break out the Wings of Glory.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3714.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	108611

Being the birthday boy Dad elected to fly for the Fatherland, choosing his Halberstadt D.III in the colours of Ltn. Hans von Keudell.

Name:	IMG_3715.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	175.2 KB 
ID:	108612

I then suggested we make it a mid-1916 balloon busting mission, with von Keudell defending and yours truly fielding my custom-painted, rocket-armed RFC Nieuport 16 in the colours of Lt. Albert Ball.

Name:	IMG_3716.jpg 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	108613

With our mounts selected and Reservistenkrügen charged the battle commenced!

Name:	IMG_3717.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	108614

Lt. Ball got the better of the starting position at altitude 4 with Ltn. von Keudell still climbing at altitude 3. It did not deter the bold Prussian officer from attempting to goad the Britischer into joining battle, giving the ground crew time to winch in the balloon. Intent on bagging a 'German Sausage' however, Ball banks his nimble Nieuport away from the Halberstadt.

Name:	IMG_3720.jpg 
Size:	232.2 KB 
ID:	108615

By the time von Keudell had come around after the Nieuport the rocket armed machine had already closed to firing range on the balloon. Judging his range too close for rocketry, Ball gave it a burst at long range with his over-wing Lewis Gun and was pleased (and somewhat surprised) to see flames licking the side of the gas-bag!

Name:	IMG_3721.jpg 
Size:	192.4 KB 
ID:	108616

Banking away to port Ball was hoping the balloon would go up in a ball of flame but the conflagration had yet to take hold. About this time the German observers decide discretion is the better part of valour and bail out of the burning Drachen.

Name:	IMG_3723.jpg 
Size:	218.5 KB 
ID:	108618

Ball brings his Nieuport up and around reversing back towards the balloon, igniting and firing his Le Prieux rockets. They streak unerring towards the balloon which explodes in an ever-expanding ball of flame! Lt. Ball was still a little close for comfort to the stricken target and was very fortunate not to sustain any damage to his own crate.

Name:	IMG_3724.jpg 
Size:	224.4 KB 
ID:	108619

With the balloon destroyed Von Keudell was determined to make the Tommy pay for his impudence! Ball was not resting on his laurels and soon he and the Hun were involved in a turning fight.

Name:	IMG_3725.jpg 
Size:	210.3 KB 
ID:	108620

Ball manages to get behind the Halberstadt, but still out of range.

Name:	IMG_3726.jpg 
Size:	184.2 KB 
ID:	108621

Ball gets close enough to fire a long range burst at the Hun, emptying the first drum on his Lewis gun (gun jammed)!

Name:	IMG_3727.jpg 
Size:	181.0 KB 
ID:	108622

As Ball changes magazines Von Keudell reverses and fires on the Nieuport.

Name:	IMG_3728.jpg 
Size:	186.4 KB 
ID:	108623

Hans von Keudell and Albert Ball pass each other at close range, Ball finally getting his Lewis gun working.

Name:	IMG_3731.jpg 
Size:	210.2 KB 
ID:	108625

The turning battle goes on until Von Keudell banks away to try and break the dead-lock. Ball sees his chance and riddles the German scout.

Name:	IMG_3732.jpg 
Size:	234.7 KB 
ID:	108626

Von Keudell breaks to port but Ball has correctly judged his opponent's move and sideslips over to put another long burst of fire at close range into the Halberstadt. But now his Lewis gun has another stoppage!!!

Name:	IMG_3742.jpg 
Size:	217.9 KB 
ID:	108627

Ball works feverishly to get the next magazine on the over-wing Lewis. His practised hands get the gun going again just in time as the German performs another reversal and makes a head on run at the Nieuport. Both aircraft open fire at close range, bullets smashing though wood and fabric. One of Von Keudell's rounds grazes Ball's right arm (1 damage, pilot wound). Ball's burst peppers the nose of the Halberstadt and black smoke begins to pour out of the engine.

Name:	IMG_3743.jpg 
Size:	217.7 KB 
ID:	108631

Ball throws his Nieuport into a split S but he is unable to fire on the Halberstadt as his blood soaked arm doesn't seem to want to work properly.

Name:	IMG_3744.jpg 
Size:	193.0 KB 
ID:	108630

Fighting through the pain of his wound Lt. Ball fires his Lewis gun at the Halberstadt. This time it is Von Keudell who is hit as the burst peppers the cockpit, gravely wounding the young Prussian and fatally damaging his aeroplane.

Name:	IMG_3745.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	210.4 KB 
ID:	108629

Still streaming smoke Von Keudell's Halberstadt crashes to the ground east of Ypres, just inside the German lines. Wincing in pain, Lt. Albert Ball looks on hoping his opponent at least escaped with his life.

Name:	IMG_3746.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	233.6 KB 
ID:	108632

Dad definitely got the worst of it this time around, after shooting me down in our last engagement (Gotha Raid). I am playing a more patient game these days, declining to rush into head-on exchanges and holding off until I get a good opportunity to have a crack. It makes for a longer game (3 hours playing time this one) but I managed to hit Dad with eight bursts compared to his two. Dad said he'd get me next time.

Name:	IMG_3740.jpg 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	108633

The best part.....just getting in a father-son game over a few beers.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 09-09-2013 at 04:47.

What a fun! I love to play WoG with my 73 year old father as well! It's so lovely to get together! The last picture is awesome
    Great report as well, Carl!
    This is how the Game joins generations

...great AAR, Carl.

Can't imagine that I played a WW I misson with such a professional equipment, like beer in Reservistenkrügen, Schweinebraten & Sauerkraut.

The best birthday wishes from good old Bavaria to your spry dad, Carl.

Love the AAR Carl and Happy Birthday to your Dad, its great to see people of all ages getting together and having fun, not to mention a few beers, cheers.

I want to have this kind of birthday party

Nice report Carl. Some AA might have livened it up a bit. Your Dad is looking well. Good on him for giving you a run for your money.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Nice report Carl. Some AA might have livened it up a bit. Your Dad is looking well. Good on him for giving you a run for your money.
    I usually have two AA positions, but Dad wasn't keen on running guns. We ruled an early morning ground mist blanketed the area.

If he had AA I suspect the Nieuport would not have lasted very long!

Thumbs up

What a fantastic way to celebrate your dads birthday.
    The Steins & German snack foods put an icing on the cake so to speak
    Great stuff Carl!

Cracking game Carl, and i'm not just saying that because Albert came out on top.
    It was an enthralling match, and plenty of cunning went into your victory.
    The beer at the end made my mouth water.
    Time for a G&T to celebrate your victory methinks!
    Rob.

Thanks for the best wishes gentlemen.

I have been 'playing soldiers' with my Dad since before I could walk, and it still raises a smile.

Wow, that is a damn fine AAR and looks like a good time was had by all moment! Inspires me to do better at my own AARs!

Lucky shot on that balloon, catching on fire before jamming!

Excellent AAR . I'm anxious to test a mission like this , but I have to wait for the arrival of my balloon. Congratulations to you and your father .

Still gaming at 77 - gives us all hope - good on yer !

Quote Originally Posted by predhead View Post
    Wow, that is a damn fine AAR and looks like a good time was had by all moment! Inspires me to do better at my own AARs!

Lucky shot on that balloon, catching on fire before jamming!
    No one was more surprised than I when the balloon lit up on the first burst! I usually blast away with zeroes and ones turn after turn all the while getting peppered by Archie.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 09-10-2013 at 15:40.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    No one was more surprised than I when the balloon lit up on the first burst! I usually blast away with zeroes and ones turn after turn all the while getting peppered by Archie.
    Must be making better Rockets & Ammo these days Carl!
    You probably noticed in my WW1 AAR that the Balloon in that one went "Boom" with the second salvo after a 0 draw for the first.
    Does NOT happen that early very often.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Must be making better Rockets & Ammo these days Carl!
    You probably noticed in my WW1 AAR that the Balloon in that one went "Boom" with the second salvo after a 0 draw for the first.
    Does NOT happen that early very often.
    And you know the run of luck won't last!

Similar Missions

1. National: [Campagne : Ypres 1916-1918]
    By petitbilbo in forum Belgian Wing
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-21-2011, 06:39
  2. Ypres Campaign 1916-18
    By petitbilbo in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-18-2011, 07:24
  3. Balloon Busting Art Plus.
    By gully_raker in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 1