Ares Games

Thread: Just when you think you're out...

Talking Just when you think you're out...

Hi all,

It has been a while since I have been able to play or post (but I have trolled around and kept up on some threads). I have been dealing with work stuff and family stuff, but last weekend we (in America) had a holiday so we made time for a quick game.

Some time back, my friend and I decided to work up some simple rules for a Knig Knog (The other untrademarked giant ape) cooperative mission. Last weekend we ran it and I have to say, it was a blast. It was a quick and fun way to kill some time and look at a few new (new to my collections) minis. I recently picked up Kirschstein's Dr.1, Barker's Camel, and Madon's Spad so I really wanted to see them on the table.

Anyway, we set up and played and had a blast. My friend is setting up a black and white aerial view of NY City, but for now we just had my grass mat, but we still had the necessary centerpiece.

I'll keep the recap short since I thought this is more a general post than an AAR. We went back and forth shooting at the giant and trying to take him down. Unfortunately, I (in the camel) got too close and the ape snatched me up. He tore my crate apart and flung the pieces at the other pilots! No worries as I grabbed another (really, it's because Madon wasn't tabled yet) and flew out to make the kill shot after my friends had done the lion's share of the work.

Final pics, just for kicks.

My two planes One in the clutches of the monster and the other firing the kill on its final pass.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0902130202.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	183.3 KB 
ID:	108210

Brett lining up for a shot and confirming the kill.

Name:	0902130202a.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	183.6 KB 
ID:	108211

Jason taking a breather and trying extinguish a fire before it extinguished him.

Name:	0902130201.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	197.8 KB 
ID:	108212

Hopefully, I will get to play again soon and post a proper AAR. I miss the community here.

Never thought to attack KK with my Wings of War/Glory planes...thanks for sharing! Which damage deck does the ape king get to use?

Glad you are posting again!

Good to see you again Japheth

Quote Originally Posted by predhead View Post
    Never thought to attack KK with my Wings of War/Glory planes...thanks for sharing! Which damage deck does the ape king get to use?

Glad you are posting again!
    They were playing their own rules, so Japheth will have to answer that, but in the solo version that's been kicking around since the WoW days it's a C deck:

King Kong vs Wings of War

Rob - that is actually kinda disturbing that folks have given that much thought to it!

Take a look at this thread

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ight=king+kong

Unfortunately Ken's fab pictures got deleted by the Hacker attack last year but you can catch them here.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=460

Rob.

There's a scenario of this played regularly at my local gaming con -- the ape has something like 30 HP, and six possible facings; every third turn (I think) it rolls to see which facing it takes up. Not sure what damage it does -- no one's ever been stupid enough to go head-on against it.

Players are restricted to Western 1-seat fighters only. I was personally responsible for getting 2-seaters banned from the event, after the GM saw what I could do with a Breguet.... >:)

Neat little game, all I need now is a very large gorilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Neat little game, all I need now is a very large gorilla.
    Try here Neil Ł4.99. Bananas not supplied.

Name:	toy gorilla.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	108400
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plastic-mode.../dp/B000LBICY4

Rob.

Too many fiddly pieces for me. Pity I like bananas too.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Try here Neil Ł4.99. Bananas not supplied.

Name:	toy gorilla.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	108400
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plastic-mode.../dp/B000LBICY4

Rob.

Ooooo! Micro Zeppelins! There are a number of them on Shapeways . . . do no tell the elves!

Default K Rules

Here are the rules He and I came up with. The person who made them also plays Warhammer 40k so check out his site here if you are in to that sort of thing. It has plenty of game aids to ease the play of what we all know is a complex game (unlike WoG, which is blessedly paced).

Since the rules are short (we made it to be a simple diversion and excuse to pull out new planes and see how they fly without the pressures of battle), I will paste them here.

As for not-Kong himself, we went with a little figure since it had the building top with it and we were going to use a NY map so it would "pop out" of the background. We went with this one. This is also much cheaper than an actual action figure (and we didn't want to spend a lot on this diversion). You can search for it by calling it an "ornament", but here is an amazon link. I AM NOT ENDORSING THIS SELLER OR SUGGESTING YOU USE THEM. This is for illustration only.

Here are the rules.

Scenario Rules:
    Board: 70 x 50cm with K in the center (he is about 2.5in x 2.5in)
    The Great Ape (K) 30hp – Kong always attacks if able. Kong ignores special damage except for
    pilot hit, which indicates head shots & are @ a +1
    Attacks -
    K attacks at ˝ range using the C deck (1 card per attack as measured from the edge of
    the tower) and +1 damage. K also draws a C card (they basically collide with each other so they might both take damage).
    If a plane ends its maneuver with its base touching any part of the model, K tries to
    capture it. K draws a card from the D deck.
    If a 0, the Plane takes damage from the C Deck (+1) as a normal collision. K
    takes a C card as well.
    If any other card is drawn from D deck, the plane is destroyed and K has 3 special
    attacks. They are treated as normal A gun attacks and are used until exhausted.

Special planes
    Two-seaters – If captured, they give K 4 attacks instead of 3. When K uses his normal attack, his
    cards taken is +1 (due to the larger plane)
    Bombers – They can be destroyed by capture attacks, but Kong must draw 2 collision cards if he
    fails.
    If a Bomber is captured, it only gives 2 Captured attacks (he breaks a piece off).
    Neither bombs nor rockets can be fired at K, due to the civilian population.

Happy Hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Take a look at this thread

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ight=king+kong

Unfortunately Ken's fab pictures got deleted by the Hacker attack last year but you can catch them here.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=460

Rob.
    That looks like it was fun game!