Ares Games

Thread: Finally finished on Fathers Day!

Exclamation Finally finished on Fathers Day!

Well I finally finished my August projects on Fathers day morning & I am really happy how they turned out.
    First my nod to that fine New Zealand Ace Keith "Grid" Caldwell's 60 Sqd Nieuport 17 "C5" as shown in the colour profiles of Ospreys 60 Sqd history. Grid achieved 25 victories & was a contempory of Bishop (who he mistrusted!) & Capt Willie Fry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=WSF N17 Grid Calwell 2.jpg  Views: 59  Size: 175.3 KB  ID: 107878" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=WSF N17 Grid Caldwell 1.jpg  Views: 64  Size: 186.0 KB  ID: 107877" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Next a generic Aviatik C.II which I am sure Grid would be happy to meet in combat!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=WSF Aviatik C.II 4.jpg  Views: 49  Size: 220.0 KB  ID: 107881" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=WSF Aviatik C.II 3.jpg  Views: 49  Size: 131.9 KB  ID: 107880" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=WSF Aviatik C.II 2.jpg  Views: 49  Size: 118.8 KB  ID: 107879" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Very nice Barry! I like 'em both. The colors on the Nieuport are really neat, & I like the observer on the Aviatik.

Good to see Grid represented Baz.
    It will be great to see him in action in one of your games.
    Rob.

I second that emotion, would be great to see him in action against your aviatic. Lovely paint jobs by the way, nicely done. On a side note I must admit to not being whole heartedly behind the shapeways make of aircraft. The digital pictures uploaded in AAR's, painting threads et al have always left me thinking they're very bobbly and not smooth. However seeing both Ken (PilGrim) and Paul's (chimpchokers) shapeway aircraft at Border Reiver, I must take everything back. They look superb, its just the close up digital pics do them no justice.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    I second that emotion, would be great to see him in action against your aviatic. Lovely paint jobs by the way, nicely done. On a side note I must admit to not being whole heartedly behind the shapeways make of aircraft. The digital pictures uploaded in AAR's, painting threads et al have always left me thinking they're very bobbly and not smooth. However seeing both Ken (PilGrim) and Paul's (chimpchokers) shapeway aircraft at Border Reiver, I must take everything back. They look superb, its just the close up digital pics do them no justice.
    Yes Neil, unfortunately the Macro setting which you need for a sharp image in digital tend to highlight the texture which in not noticable to the naked eye.
    The models look great on the Games table & if you have seen my Catalina in 1/200 it looks really smooth even in the pics.

Fabulous models, there, Barry! I love the metallic blue on the engine cowling of the Nieuport. But the Aviatik is even more impressive. Well done!
    I too would not mind the texture. Having painted some Shapeways WSF minis I do not see that feature on a gaming table at all!

Great work on those two Barry, they will look great on the table.

Cheers,

Carl.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    On a side note I must admit to not being whole heartedly behind the shapeways make of aircraft. The digital pictures uploaded in AAR's, painting threads et al have always left me thinking they're very bobbly and not smooth. However seeing both Ken (PilGrim) and Paul's (chimpchokers) shapeway aircraft at Border Reiver, I must take everything back. They look superb, its just the close up digital pics do them no justice.
    I'd been feeling the same way. Never stopped to consider that it might merely be the photography, which I already know brings out the flaws in any mini photographed from the various paper minis I've done. Between the "eyewitness" accounts here & the pics & discussion in the PFactorDave's Degelow thread, you fellows are seriously tempting me.

Nice Barry, really like the Aviatic

The photography definitely highlights imperfections in the surface. The flash tends to catch on every facet, highlighting it more than what the naked eye tends to notice.

Well done, Barry! Fine models.

Similar Missions

1. Happy Fathers' Day
    By Naharaht in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-17-2013, 23:06
  2. B-Day and Fathers Day gifts
    By Frank Rineer in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-03-2012, 05:57
  3. WGF More finished Models
    By Madboyo in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-25-2012, 05:18
  4. My very first finished 1/144 plane...
    By petitbilbo in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 08-02-2011, 14:22
  5. The 1st balloon base is finally finished
    By Roger Wilco in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-01-2010, 02:19