Ares Games
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's September, how's your workbench looking?

Default It's September, how's your workbench looking?

I'm liking the look of my September workbench.

There's Voss vs 56 squadron, Jasta 6 flying razors and a Fokker D.VI. (somewhere) I doubt that I'll get them all done in a month.

There's also the Valom D.VII, I've finished the easy part of the decals, it just needs the top wing attached and undercarriage built. I'm really liking how this kit fits together so far. Then again, I'm reaching the limits of my modelling abilities now so fingers crossed.

Almost forgot the balloon, but that'll take a while.

Ian
    Last edited by Womble; 09-01-2013 at 15:29.

How's my work bench looking?

Well... Kind of like a tornado blew through... I seriously need to take a few minutes and tidy up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1382.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	107551

You can see the poster board that I folded in half and use to keep over spray from going everywhere when I'm air brushing. I just have a small card board box with something heavy in it behind the poster board to prop it up.

You can also see the little cups that I use for mixing and thinning paint. I buy them at the local Wal-Mart, in the same aisle as the plastic forks and paper plates. They come 50 per package, for about $3. The lids snap on tightly, so the paint stays fresh for a very long time. I highly recommend them if you are looking for a quick and easy (and disposable if you want) container for paint.

Name:	IMG_1387.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	107552

Here's my current project. It's a Shapeways Fokker DVII in WSF material, one of jbmacek's designs. This one will be Carl Degelow of Jasta 40. Took a little time to get the rough WSF finish smoothed out, but I am pleased with the results so far. I have the base colors laid, next is the lozenge camouflage decals (after I make them).

Name:	IMG_1384.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	107553

Looking good! You need some elves to do the background work like make the decals so you look really productive! Good call on the cups too! I taught the elves to eat frozen yogurt which is where I get my cups, but they do not have lids : (

I woke up this morning and they say its September, my workbench is covered with new toys to work on, just printed off 10 sheets of decal, should be a good month!

Mine looks exactly as it did last month, seein' as I didn't paint a single thing in August (apart from some Corsec movement dials for X-Wing).

Still working on the porch, but I did print out sticker decals for the Clipper-style whole body treatment of a Shapeways Halberstadt CL.II. I wish I had done this in August, as I could have used it yesterday in Columbus
    Karl

Day 2 Three done for Hunter in the country blue hue, Home Defense/night bomber/fighters

Gotta love the Vimmy!

A test run on the Staakenzes-not sure about the colors for the lozenge, looks too happy

Going to be a long month . . .

Mine is covered in Border Reivers, sleuth hounds, flocks of sheep and cattle at present but should get back to a few planes soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Something subtly different this month?

Name:	DSC_4095.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	170.1 KB 
ID:	107706

Rob.
    Ah, memories of the old Eagle kits

I have just managed to pick up two more of the Destroyers, and The Duke of York I believe. So when they arrive, apart from another Cruiser, I will have a reasonable Malta Task Force. Now for the convoy.
    Rob.

Taking time off of WW1. Have some 1/600 ACW ships to complete. Goal is 15 this month. Already 6 completed.

Nothing -- again.

. o O ( I suck, I suck, I suck, I suck, I suck, I suck, I suck, I suck, I suck, I suck.... )

Thumbs up

Something subtly different this month?

Name:	DSC_4095.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	170.1 KB 
ID:	107706

Rob.
    Just the thing for your "stringbags" to put holes in.

Smile

Well mine is actually clear as I finished my "Grid" Caldwell's N17 & a Aviatik C.II on Fathers day.
    Photos coming soon!

MEMO to Self! Must order some AIM Dauntless, Avengers, Kates & a Lily!

Here's a quick update. I really like Clippers North Sea blimps and then I found a 1917 postcard of a balloon for sale on eBay that looked cool. Why not give it a try?

I'm going slightly mad but painting the balloon is very addictive. I just can't stop.

Thanks for the inspiration Clipper!

The D.VII is coming along well. A few more struts need to be added and these are the trickiest part for sure.

Also there's some Fokker streaky experiments going on. A base coat of green or blue, then ink washes could be a winner. I've ordered some new ink washes which should be perfect.

Back to painting squares now, then more squares, then more and more until I end up in a square painting trance.

Ian

The baloon certainly looks good Ian.
    It is a square world after all.
    Rob.

My madness for the night . . . more pics on the Shapeways Thread

Now off to bed and dream up some mega missions for 8 Staakenzes!

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    Here's a quick update. I really like Clippers North Sea blimps and then I found a 1917 postcard of a balloon for sale on eBay that looked cool. Why not give it a try?

I'm going slightly mad but painting the balloon is very addictive. I just can't stop.

Thanks for the inspiration Clipper!

The D.VII is coming along well. A few more struts need to be added and these are the trickiest part for sure.

Also there's some Fokker streaky experiments going on. A base coat of green or blue, then ink washes could be a winner. I've ordered some new ink washes which should be perfect.

Back to painting squares now, then more squares, then more and more until I end up in a square painting trance.

Ian
    There are far worse trances to get stuck in, try the Staaken Trance! Yikes! The balloon looks awesome so far! Keep up the mantra . . .

"The nest is full of nothing, when the birds have flown"

Now onto "Krokus Einsatz!"

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    "The nest is full of nothing, when the birds have flown"

Now onto "Krokus Einsatz!"
    Hmmm... Natters... Interesting!

It appears the enemy has intercepted and deciphered our plans . . . ve must get moving! Faster my minions!

So it begins . . . again . . .

I don't think your Elves are at all serious about this Clipper.
    In fact those drawings are just doodles.
    Rob.

Hmm a disturbingly rare sight . . .

Where are those elves? I told them WWII was approaching . . . "something wicked this way comes" . . . is it sanity, or is it just company?

Where are those elves? I told them WWII was approaching . . . "something wicked this way comes" . . . is it sanity, or is it just company?
    Both?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SECVGN4Bsgg
    Karl

It appears the enemy has intercepted and deciphered our plans . . . ve must get moving! Faster my minions!

So it begins . . . again . . .
    Hey now, we just got the "fast" planes, and now you want rocket planes of Luft '46?
    You better ship some elves to the committee room stat!
    Karl

Typical Clipper -- Nattering on at all hours....

And now for something completely (not so) different!

My virtual september workbench

Name:	septdesk.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	108682

From rockets to barrage balloons, quite the spectrum around here . . . 6 balloons at 1/200 scale, were they all silver grey?

It would seem that they are Dave, although I have this rather more interesting one from America.

Name:	CampTyson_balloon_Nov07_01.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	108796

Also this supply truck.

Name:	RAF Barrage truck..jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	108797

Rob.

Excellent Rob! I have been plotting a similar build of forces but a tad bigger. How was the Airfix kit on these guys? I thought about ordering one but would rather spend the $ on a few Shapeways PBY's and do the ships from scratch . . .

The Malta Task Force taking shape.

Name:	DSC_4101.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	108893

Rob.
    Wonderful! What is the scale of the ships, Rob?

Excellent Rob! I have been plotting a similar build of forces but a tad bigger. How was the Airfix kit on these guys? I thought about ordering one but would rather spend the $ on a few Shapeways PBY's and do the ships from scratch . . .
    The Airfix are O.K. Dave. The only problem I have found is that some of the holes need opening up a bit, and the gun barrels on the destroyers are a bit droopy. Also the base of the Hood is slightly warped.
    The Duke of York is Revell, and superior in detail and accuracy of fit. It just feels a better quality to handle. I also have Gneisenau by Revell, so will see if that is also better than the Airfix ones.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    Wonderful! What is the scale of the ships, Rob?
    The ships are 1: 1200 Andy, as I find they look just right when photographed below the aircraft.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by decapod View Post
    My virtual september workbench

Name:	septdesk.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	108682
    How much to add a Vokes filter under the nose Paul?

Seriously, I would buy a squadron's worth of Mk.VCs.

hehehe I was hiding the side view which gives it away - not added the filter to the model yet.

Should get more done this evening on the train back home from Cardiff

Un-expected visitors . . .

Now back to our regular scheduled building . . .

Well the Airplane Fairy arrived at my door, via his big brown truck...

Name:	IMG_1512.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	109228

4 Nieuport 17bis, 4 Albatros DIII (Oeffag), 4 Albatros DVa, 4 Fokker DVII, 4 Fokker Dr1, 2 Halberstadt CLII, 2 Breguet 14B2, and 2 Handley Page O/400.

All from Shapeways... Most in WGF, the two seaters are in FUD. One Breguet has droopy wings (to the hot bath he goes!), and one of the DVII's is lacking detail on the top wing (won't matter since I will likely decal the top wing anyway)

This should keep me busy for quite awhile!

Jealous and fainted.

BTW - if you ask Zoe Brain kindly, she can provide you with some perfect A-H camo spiral decals for Oeffags. They could look really fine. I used them, here you have an example.

Name:	20130415_184659.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	109229

Name:	20130415_184932.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	109230

Those are very nice swirlies!

I haven't decided how I'm going to paint these birds yet. Need to spend some time looking at options. I do love the German crates though, certainly can be very visually interesting!

Almost there for the non-tropical VC, a few more checks needed, then rescaling to 1/200. Then add the Volkes filter - a few more days...

Name:	674x501_1340987_1296562_1379075921.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	109269

For me trying to make a wedge of struts for the Ares Sopwith Triplane

Almost there for the non-tropical VC, a few more checks needed, then rescaling to 1/200. Then add the Volkes filter - a few more days...

Setting aside the necessary funds for the acquisition of Mk.VC Tropicals..........

That's pretty sexy! I don't even play the WW2 version of the game yet, but I may need to get me some of those. Of course, I'll need some 109E's or maybe 109G2's and a few Heinkels to make bomb runs across the channel! Oh! Must have some Hurricanes too!

Hmmm... Maybe I should just go ahead and buy the WW2 rules...

Welcome to "Inevitability World" Mr Anderson . . . you can check out anytime you want, but you can never leave . . . I have employed a number of elves to allow me to step out to visit reality once in a while, mostly to buy supplies and chocolate things . . . : )

Well I cannot say that I have made and or painted any aircraft but I did buy five models from Clipper so does that count? I have to confess I have been busy painting up figures and buildings for "Muskets and Tomahawks and of course I have to all nations.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. What's on your workbench this March.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 03-29-2013, 13:34
  2. WGF What's on your workbench this February?
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 03-06-2013, 16:20
  3. New Workbench Area
    By ptownhiker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 02:21
  4. For those with models on the workbench...
    By Zoe Brain in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-25-2012, 08:03
  5. The Workbench
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 03-18-2012, 22:58