Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob

Users Country Flag

Name
    Hamish
    Sorties Flown

Default Noob

Hi all, just joined forum. Bought WOW Famous Aces couple of months back. Anyone in Hawkes Bay playing weekly/monthly?
    Am setting up my own gaming mat once I can find someone to print it. Anyone able to help out?

Welcome from the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Mclags View Post
    Hi all, just joined forum. Bought WOW Famous Aces couple of months back. Anyone in Hawkes Bay playing weekly/monthly?
    Am setting up my own gaming mat once I can find someone to print it. Anyone able to help out?
    Welcome Hamish! No where NEAR NZ I'm afraid. But I did find a printer that sounds like it's right in your area & should be exactly what you're looking for when it comes to printing a mat (Click link below):

Spectrum Printing

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Hamish, from here near Norwich in the United Kingdom. I hope that you can find someone nearby to play against. If not there are people on this site, who play via Skype, and there are also solo play rules available if you use the search facility.

Greetings and welcome to our obsession . . . I have two sons in New Zealand now, both gamers, both in Auckland, a bit of a journey from your place though Enjoy the fun!

Howdy from Kansas, Hamish! Its great to have you with us!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Hamish
    Sorties Flown

Wow thanks Rob, didn't expect help from the otherside of the world!!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Hamish
    Sorties Flown

My nephew and I have bought a couple of mini's and have been dog fighting like crazy.
    Rules with Famous Aces are a little on the vague side of things for a newbie, but we're getting there.

Welcome from Italy Have fun

Attilio

Welcome to the 'drome Hamish from a sunny East Sussex today - my bro-in-law & family live in Napier but sadly are not gamers !

Hello Hamish, welcome to the group!!!

Welcome Hamish from Tyne & Wear flight.

Hi Hamish and welcome to the 'Drome from Florence

Marco

Welcome Hamish.

There are quite a few Wings of War/Glory players in NZ, might have something to do with the number of reproduction and restored WW1 and WW2 warbirds you have across the Tasman!

Send a PM to long time forum member Linz (Lindsay http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/member.php?1992-Linz). Although he is a South Island resident, he should be able to point you in the direction of some local gaming groups.

Enjoy,

Carl.

Welcome Hamish, from Bristol UK, see you down the mess

My pleasure. If you get a mat printed up, post us a pic if you can. As the others mentioned, there are players from NZ on apparently, so good luck networking, & Skype & Solo are both viable options that many of us use, so good luck finding a game!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Hamish
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    My pleasure. If you get a mat printed up, post us a pic if you can. As the others mentioned, there are players from NZ on apparently, so good luck networking, & Skype & Solo are both viable options that many of us use, so good luck finding a game!
    Just got quote back to print mat, $240NZ!!! Would rather spend that money on mini's at this stage.

I'm just getting the hang of the site (first forum I'm a member of) and was wondering if there is any "how to" for scenarios for beginners?

You can make some striking mats from heavy brown kraft paper, water colors and sponges, check the mat making threads on the search engine here . . .

Just got quote back to print mat, $240NZ!!! Would rather spend that money on mini's at this stage.

I'm just getting the hang of the site (first forum I'm a member of) and was wondering if there is any "how to" for scenarios for beginners?
    That...sounds way too high... I think folks have had mats printed in the past for around $50 US?

As for a "how to" on scenario design, none that I'm aware of.

However, there are a number of pregenerated scenarios & campaigns in the files section. There is also a random mission generator in there. There are also some files for assigning "point values" to aircraft, AA, etc to help with balancing out scenarios. Take a look at the "Over the Trenches" sub forum as well for the scenarios from our solo campaign(s) for some inspiration. And of course there are the scenarios from the box sets of WoW, which are available as PDF's, or there is a compiled version in the files section.

If you need links to any of the above I can dig them up in the morning.

Holy smoke that is expensive! What material did you specify?

I have been printing up A0 size aerial photo maps (1.4m x 1m) at Officeworks for about $40 each. I get them on heavy paper and have not had any issues.

Check them out here: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...printing-time)

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post

I have been printing up A0 size aerial photo maps (1.4m x 1m) at Officeworks for about $40 each. I get them on heavy paper and have not had any issues.

Yeah, it was a bit late when I posted last night, but that's what I was thinking too, that there has to be something amiss in the estimate given, & I wondered too if the choice of material might not be the issue. I think some have had theirs printed like a banner sign, on the type of vinyl used for sign printing, for around the same type of price range we're talking about?

Might be worth your while to inquire of them Hamish. If they can't provide what you're looking for (at a reasonable price!) here's another printer in your area:

http://www.fineprint.co.nz/

Welcome to the Drome Hamish, from all the pilots here in Dear old Blighty who have not already said hi.
    Rob.

Welcome aboard

Users Country Flag

Name
    Hamish
    Sorties Flown

[QUOTE=MoonSylver;243300]Yeah, it was a bit late when I posted last night, but that's what I was thinking too, that there has to be something amiss in the estimate given, & I wondered too if the choice of material might not be the issue. I think some have had theirs printed like a banner sign, on the type of vinyl used for sign printing, for around the same type of price range we're talking about?QUOTE]

Yeah sorry, should have specified that that quote was onto a self adhesive vinyl. Was rough estimate for mat 2m x 0.7m

Users Country Flag

Name
    Hamish
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post

Wow, just checked out that link, they look great! might be a great option for me. Thanks

Users Country Flag

Name
    Hamish
    Sorties Flown

That...sounds way too high... I think folks have had mats printed in the past for around $50 US?

As for a "how to" on scenario design, none that I'm aware of.

However, there are a number of pregenerated scenarios & campaigns in the files section. There is also a random mission generator in there. There are also some files for assigning "point values" to aircraft, AA, etc to help with balancing out scenarios. Take a look at the "Over the Trenches" sub forum as well for the scenarios from our solo campaign(s) for some inspiration. And of course there are the scenarios from the box sets of WoW, which are available as PDF's, or there is a compiled version in the files section.

If you need links to any of the above I can dig them up in the morning.
    I meant playing of scenarios, my nephew and I have only been dog fighting as only have Famous Aces at this stage. Looking at getting Burning Drachens
    and building from there. Have I got the right idea?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Hamish
    Sorties Flown

Thanks to all for the amazing welcome and help/advice, I can't believe how friendly everyone is and how so many have taken the time to drop a post to welcome me into the fray

Yeah sorry, should have specified that that quote was onto a self adhesive vinyl. Was rough estimate for mat 2m x 0.7m
    Hm. I don't know a whole lot beyond what I've already mentioned, but I'm wondering, SELF ADHESIVE vinyl? Not familiar with it, but I'm wondering if that might not be the issue? Rather than get it printed on something that you would have to peel & stick, I'd think you would want to print directly onto something that you would just lay down & play.

Out of curiosity, have you considered just buying some of the WoG mats? I don't know if they're available locally in NZ, or if shipping would make them too prohibitive, but check the Aerodrome Accessories link at the top of the page if interested.

A quick Google search showed a couple of game stores in your area (Jambo Hobbies & Platform 1 Hobby Shop) who might carry WoG or be able to order in for you.

I meant playing of scenarios, my nephew and I have only been dog fighting as only have Famous Aces at this stage. Looking at getting Burning Drachens
    and building from there. Have I got the right idea?
    Ah. Depends on if you want to stick to the cards only Wings of War or make the jump to the miniatures game it became Wings of Glory. If you would like to stick with WoW, either "Watch Your Back" (2 Seaters) or "Burning Drachens" (Balloons, AA, Trench Strafing) are good choices as a next purchase, saving "Flight of the Giants" (Heavy Bombers)for last. All of them have scenarios included that incorporate the rules & aircraft introduced. You can still download PDF's of the rules/scenarios from FFG's website if you want to check them out first:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_nrep.asp?eidm=19

If you decide to go w/ WoG it has the rules for EVERYTHING in the "Rules & Accessories Pack", all in one book + damage decks + counters. Just add miniatures (or even cards) & you're all set. Doesn't come with many scenarios, but you can always use the ones from WoW.

WoG has the advantage of being in print. Only downside is adding the aircraft you need to do different missions. The card based WoW does have the advantage in that respect, in that you get a good number of cards for planes in each box (plus the booster packs) so you can do a lot right out of the box.

Sorry to ramble. Just wanted to illuminate some of the differences before you spent too much on one or the other. See this thread for more details on the differences:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...Wings-of-Glory

Users Country Flag

Name
    Hamish
    Sorties Flown

VERY helpful thanks Rob, sounds like WoG is def the way to go. As for the mats, Platform 1 became Jambo Hobbies and I have already been in touch with them, they priced the WoW mats at $90 each (i think there's 2 or 4 of them). Just gunna have a crack at making my own. Whats a good size?

Mini's are a bit on the pricey side here too. Can get 4 for $100 which I've done once. Rickenbacker, Richtoven, Webber and a Sopwith.
    Have seen through the forum that you all seem to use Shapeways models and paint yourself. I am sweet to do this also as I ahve been making kitsets
    for years. Where do you get the decals from? OR How do you make them yourself?

VERY helpful thanks Rob, sounds like WoG is def the way to go. As for the mats, Platform 1 became Jambo Hobbies and I have already been in touch with them, they priced the WoW mats at $90 each (i think there's 2 or 4 of them). Just gunna have a crack at making my own. Whats a good size?

Mini's are a bit on the pricey side here too. Can get 4 for $100 which I've done once. Rickenbacker, Richtoven, Webber and a Sopwith.
    Have seen through the forum that you all seem to use Shapeways models and paint yourself. I am sweet to do this also as I ahve been making kitsets
    for years. Where do you get the decals from? OR How do you make them yourself?
    Wow, that's way too steep on the mats & minis. I would take a look at the AA link at the top of the page for sure then. I would think that, even with shipping, you still might get off cheaper on mats &/or minis...? If not I would price some other materials for printing. Stress to them you'd like to explore some sign printing materials, like the type used of hanging banners & such.

Now, as for Shapeways, I have no experience there. I'm a scratch builder, first with paper/card, & now styrene w/ a paper "skin". I do believe the fellows that do work on them both buy & make their decals. Browse the Hobby forum for awhile & you'll see a lot of tips. Clipper in particular is an invaluable source of wisdom.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Hamish
    Sorties Flown

If you decide to go w/ WoG it has the rules for EVERYTHING in the "Rules & Accessories Pack", all in one book + damage decks + counters. Just add miniatures (or even cards) & you're all set. Doesn't come with many scenarios, but you can always use the ones from WoW.

WoG has the advantage of being in print. Only downside is adding the aircraft you need to do different missions. The card based WoW does have the advantage in that respect, in that you get a good number of cards for planes in each box (plus the booster packs) so you can do a lot right out of the box.

Sorry to ramble. Just wanted to illuminate some of the differences before you spent too much on one or the other. See this thread for more details on the differences:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...Wings-of-Glory
    Rules and accessory pack on its way, seems like it'll take a while to build up a decent hanger to have enough aircraft to play diff scenarios.
    Where do you get the manouver decks from if you make your own models?

At the 'Drome nowhere is the otherside. There is alwys a helping hand from someone if your stuck. You only have to ask.

Hamish in the files section there are manoeuvre decks you can download and print off for non standard aircraft, for WW1 anyways

Rules and accessory pack on its way, seems like it'll take a while to build up a decent hanger to have enough aircraft to play diff scenarios.
    Where do you get the manouver decks from if you make your own models?
    Guntruck just finished doing up a set of all the maneuver decks for those who don't have certain ones. You can find them HERE:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...p?do=cat&id=43

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    At the 'Drome nowhere is the otherside. There is alwys a helping hand from someone if your stuck. You only have to ask.
    You got that right Neil. Regardless of what side you fly for in the game, we're all wingmen on the 'Drome.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Hamish
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Hamish in the files section there are manoeuvre decks you can download and print off for non standard aircraft, for WW1 anyways
    Thanks, figured they were on here somewhere. I'm very new to foruming.

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Hamish, from here near Norwich in the United Kingdom.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Hamish
    Sorties Flown

Ok, another couple of questions.
    What mini's would you recommend starting out with? Will get both allied and axis.

I cant' seem to find any Sopwith Camels on shapeways, only Snipes. Has anyone found them? Do they exist?

Cheers

Late but wholeheartedly: Welcome from Poland, chap

Sorry Hamish
    Missed this thread
    On behalf of the Otago pilots welcome to the Drome.
    If I can be of any help let me know.
    Linz

Ok, another couple of questions.
    What mini's would you recommend starting out with? Will get both allied and axis.

I cant' seem to find any Sopwith Camels on shapeways, only Snipes. Has anyone found them? Do they exist?

Cheers
    Starting planes...Camel vs Dr.1 & Albatros D.Va vs Spad XIII are good places to start & considered classic match-up's. After that, it can depend on your tastes & interests. Some 2-seaters are good to allow you to do bombing, photo recon, etc.

As for Shapeways Camels, a google search turned up a few. Here's one:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/40037...ith-camel.html

Users Country Flag

Name
    Hamish
    Sorties Flown

Starting planes...Camel vs Dr.1 & Albatros D.Va vs Spad XIII are good places to start & considered classic match-up's. After that, it can depend on your tastes & interests. Some 2-seaters are good to allow you to do bombing, photo recon, etc.

As for Shapeways Camels, a google search turned up a few. Here's one:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/40037...ith-camel.html
    Thanks, I managed to get that one right! Got 1 of each plane you mentioned... so far. Rickenbacker, MvR, Udet and Barker.
    The addiction is taking hold!! Was looking into a few of the scenarios and often seemed to need multiple planes of one make.
    Iyo what would be the most popular planes to get multiples of?
    Any idea why so few Camels?

Monticus

Better late than never, welcome Hamish. I have pm'd you and hope to have a game soon.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Hamish
    Sorties Flown

Does anyone know of any brittish decal sheets? I can only find German ones at the Aerodrome Store.

Hannants do loads of them, and they are all very durable Hamish.

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/ind...e=&save_search=

Also of course our very own Dom's decals.

http://domsdecals.com/

Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 09-14-2013 at 09:14.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Hamish
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Hannants do loads of them, and they are all very durable Hamish.

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/ind...e=&save_search=

Also of course our very own Dom's decals.

http://domsdecals.com/

Rob.

Thanks Rob, just what I was after!

British decals
    As WingCo Kyte said check out Doms Decals
    Also try Shed Decals, google The one True Scale and follow the link bottom left for decals, he does a lot of decals, a bit more expensive but enough to do lots of models. http://www.the-one-true-scale.co.uk/
    Also look on eBay for 1/144 Direct, he also does a large range of decals including some generic and specialist Sqns.
    Next try Red Eagle http://www.redeagleminiatures.co.uk/
    Last look at Reviresco from the US http://www.tin-soldier.com/

If nothing in any of those there are a couple more but I need to check the links first

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. General Dumb question from a Shapeways noob - kits or assembled planes?
    By The G Dog in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-23-2013, 06:13