Ares Games

Thread: Lorenzo's landscapes

Default Lorenzo's landscapes

Hi Guys, i asked Lorenzo - a guy who has provided us with the Cliffs of Dover mat (see Files) - to look for a desert landscape. He was very kind and helpful and sent me a preview of what we are gonna get soon (140 x 93 cm)

Attachment 105077

a added a little color to it in Paint Shop just to see how it looks.

Attachment 105079

Sweeeeeeeeet!

This is a preview in low res. My guess is that the low res causes it to look like a painting.

Did you add the color or did he? I find the second one better because it is darker but I can imagine that changing the color can somewhat ruin some detail on the high res version maybe?

Did Lorenzo say that he could not get a winter landscape? Otherwise we can ask him to. This and the winter landscape are on the top of my wish list...

Thomas i added some yellow to the second image and darkened it. The first image can be easily redone to a winter landscape i guess. It is just my guess that the winter landscape is hard to get from geographical pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Lino22 View Post
    Thomas i added some yellow to the second image and darkened it. The first image can be easily redone to a winter landscape i guess. It is just my guess that the winter landscape is hard to get from geographical pictures.
    Well for the winter I was thinking of a little town or maybe some forest. Normally that should be visible from the skies. Definitely houses, roads, rivers and trees should be able to standout nice...

Like this for example...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45_3100002.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	169.1 KB 
ID:	105087

It will be good for a North African combat.

It is a great idea manipulating aerial images.

I have three I use for my North African battles, Tobruk harbour, a desert coast map near Sollum in Egypt and one of the desert near Tummar south of Sidi Barrani in Libya:

Name:	Tobruk harbour.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	105233

Name:	Libyan Desert.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	105230

Name:	Sollum.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	105231

As great as the new official maps are, these photo maps really add to the visual appeal in non temperate European scenarios:

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Sollum 9.jpg  Views: 181  Size: 126.3 KB  ID: 105232" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Carl that looks sweet, what resolution/size are they?

Those look great! Thanks Lorenzo another great job. There's got to be a metal in it for ya.

Thomas

Carl that looks sweet, what resolution/size are they?
    B0 size, 1414mm x 1000mm. I extract them from Google maps, previously posted How To here http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...printing-time)
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 09-13-2013 at 04:12.

Here is a preview of what is Lorenzo adding to Files - a hi-res variant.
    I have it already in full size (140*93cm) and it looks gorgeous. It really is a picture despite the texture looking like a paint job.

Attachment 105883

Here is a preview of what is Lorenzo adding to Files - a hi-res variant.
    I have it already in full size (140*93cm) and it looks gorgeous. It really is a picture despite the texture looking like a paint job.

Attachment 105883
    Is it a road or a dried out river we are seeing in the middle? Any sign of houses on the map? This one will directly go to the printer!

Thomas i have troubles to open the 300dpi file in my Paintshop or any other app. The black spots are holes, that is all my comp allows me to see. This preview was made by Kancelot who had to do it on Mac. All houses, airports, and other military installations must be added by someone who has a NASA sort of a computer and some skills.
    Last edited by Lino22; 08-26-2013 at 08:06.

Thomas i have troubles to open the 300dpi file in my Paintshop or any other app. The black spots are holes, that is all my comp allows me to see. This preview was made by Kancelot who had to do it on Mac. All houses, airports, and other military installations must be added by someone who has a NASA sort of a computer and some skills.
    How large is the file? Could I by any chance get it from you? I'm very curious

The file can be downloaded here. Later it will be put in the File section

http://mailbeta.libero.it/cp/ps/Mail...U&b=4342482c3c

Good news. Lorenzo found a possible aera that can be used to create a winter mat. He will send me a preview via email. I'll post it here then. We are getting close to have almost every possible type of terrain covered....

So I got an email back with the low res version of the area he is now working on...

Name:	Snow_2_low_res.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	295.4 KB 
ID:	106872

I'm not 100% convinced about this one and tried to find another area which is more to my taste. Most of all I missed some landmarks like a road, river or such on his map.
    I tried to point him to to the Whistler Blackcomb ski resort and his area as is mine should be from around there.
    This picture below is the area I tried to show him and we will have to hear what are the possibilities with it.

Name:	Snow proposal.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	235.6 KB 
ID:	106871

I'm not happy with such a winter map.

Think we need something with a town and a road from Siberia.

Pictures from the Rocky Mountains don't fit that good.

Found something.

Have a look (especially second link):

http://www.wwii-photos-maps.com/

http://www.wwii-photos-maps.com/aeri...241/index.html

Original pictures by the Wehrmacht!

I think the markings and names can be easy removed or you keep it for authenticity!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Lorenzo
    Sorties Flown

Hi to all
    sorry for my late but I took last days of holidays
    For the desert map I can look for others area with specifc feature lilke road or town..
    For the snow covered areas is a little bit more difficoult because areal image are token during summer days to ensure cloud free scenes and to avoid the albedo caused by withe landscape.
    The only areas that I found till now snow covered are the ones that are at hi altitude where the snow never melt.
    But I still search!
    I let you now if I find something.

Lorenzo

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Found something.

Have a look (especially second link):

http://www.wwii-photos-maps.com/

http://www.wwii-photos-maps.com/aeri...241/index.html

Original pictures by the Wehrmacht!

I think the markings and names can be easy removed or you keep it for authenticity!
    Nice find Sven, I will see if I can make something out of that for myself.

Default Winter landscape

I have made some changes to one of Sven's aerial photographs to obscure the pen marks and text.

The photograph depicts what appears to be a 'Kolkhos' or collective farm, a bridge, road junctions, tree lines - in short an abundance of targets.

Name:	Russia Map.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	107707

I am going to print it out in grayscale tomorrow and see how it looks with aircraft on the map.

Nice, Carl.

Maybe you can place it in the file section afterwards?

That is looking good. Curious what it will give when printed on large scale...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomatchef View Post
    That is looking good. Curious what it will give when printed on large scale...
    I'll get it printed at A0 size - 1414mm x 1000mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    I'll get it printed at A0 size - 1414mm x 1000mm.
    Have you been able to print it?

Hi Thomas,

I had it printed in grayscale. I have not had the chance to get WGS miniatures out this weekend, but I'll get some photos up soon.

Cheers,

Carl.

So am I. Can you alredy say something about the quality of the print? Still enough detail?

Default Ostfront Kolchos Map

Here's a few shots of the map printed in grayscale.

Name:	IMG_3751.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	173.6 KB 
ID:	108935

Two Luftwaffe Messerschmitt Bf 109Fs provide cover for a Pz38(t) Kompanie advancing on a Soviet collective farm.

Name:	IMG_3755.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	168.4 KB 
ID:	108936

Two VVS Il-2 Sturmovik attack aircraft are trying to slip in at low level to strike the panzers.

Name:	IMG_3753.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	108937

I'll post the AAR tomorrow.

Russian map is excellent!!

Looks very good, Carl!

Historical an easy prey for the Messerschmitts.
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 09-12-2013 at 12:28.

Historical an easy prey for the Messerschmitts.
    Depends -- those Il-2s appear to have rear gunners, which made the Luftwaffe's job *much* harder.

Not if you know Soviet tactics and the vulnerable parts of the Sturmovik (oilcooler).

...and the rear gunner's position was not that armored until 1944.

But you're right. The 12.7 mm rear gun could be nasty and it had a good fire angle.

referred to first pics by Thomachef:

i'm looking for something similar to play WGF italian front

Not if you know Soviet tactics and the vulnerable parts of the Sturmovik (oilcooler). :slysmile:
    The oil cooler was up front; the -109s are coming up from behind. :)

According to Gordon and Komissarov, the oil-cooler was mainly vulnerable to *ground* fire, not fighters; the real vulnerability for early designs was the parts which had to be built from wood. In general, one's chances of being shot down were more a product of where one was in the formation -- the phrase "devil takes the hindmost" applies here.

I have posted the first part of the Ostfront AAR using the map, see it here http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...-November-1941

I will post part 2 tonight after I finish work.

Cheers,

Carl.

Some really good mats around here! Although I cant see any of Dover's mats. Does anyone has it to show me?
    Thanks

Nick