Ares Games

Thread: Revell 1/144 WW2 aircraft on sale

Default Revell 1/144 WW2 aircraft on sale

hey all, I don't know if this is of any help, but I noticed this sale on Ebay
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/REVELL-11...-/400557802387

Might be of use. Apologies if this isn't news

Dave

Craft World (Team Valley, Tyne & Wear) had a load in for £2.

I've been eyeing those lately, wonder if they're new kits or old recycled molds in shiney new boxes?

If anybody finds out, I'd love to know. Early next week when I get a day off, I'm going to make a run to the local HobbyLand, they usually have new stuff like that. If they do, I'll grab one and check them out.

I need to figure out where I can order them by the crate....

I was curious as to the quality of the kits and decales. I have the next two days off, and I think I'm going to go hunt for some tomorrow. If I do run across some, I'll post a quick impression review.
    Last edited by kaufschtick; 09-03-2013 at 13:41.

Didn't make it out last week, but I did today.

The F4U Corsair, I was told by Bill (the owner) wasn't yet available for him to order. I picked up a P-39, P-40, F4F & a P-51B. Italian decales for all of them, so those look to be good, although just basic and only 1 version.

The kits look to be pretty good. I've never seen the P-40E kit or mold before. It looks nice though. Not bad for the price if you build and paint your own.

PS- From what I have seen with the kits I bought today, I am really excited to see what the F4U Corsair looks like when I can get my hands on one.

I usually have most of my 1/144 scale planes with fighters in pairs and bombers in threes (at last count, I have 198 WWII planes for WoG ready to play, with about another 35-40 still waiting for the model table).

I have 3 F4U-1 (I think that is the proper designation...not sure though, three bladed props?) and 2 F4U-4s (4 bladed props?). My odd man F4U-1 is a Navy one, and they are (or they were for so long, lately I don't see them at all...) pretty hard to grab, and expensive in the secondary markets.

If the Revel F4U-1 is even half way decent, I can finally chalk up a wingman for my Navy Corsair.
    Last edited by kaufschtick; 09-03-2013 at 20:08.

Anyone know where one can order these by the box?

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Anyone know where one can order these by the box?
    I may be out to HobbyLand this friday again, maybe. I'd have to ask the owner Bill. Other than E-bay, I'm not seeing these anywhere else yet. Could be they are still working their way through the distribution system.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

They're very readily available this side of the pond; any model shop that carries Revell kits should be able to get them for you. They are pretty old kits (1970s iirc) that have recently had their tooling dusted off, but they stand the test of time extremely well - they were really first rate back in the day, and the quality's still great. There were 28 models in the original range, so hopefully the remaining dozen (I think all Japanese subjects from memory, including Zero, Kate and Val....) will surface in next year's releases - not entirely sure, though, as I seem to recall a rumour that 4 of the moulds went AWOL at some point, so fingers crossed....

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

PS - There's a (rather damning....) review of the Corsair here; must admit I have a much higher opinion of the range than the reviewer, though; maybe as a gamer rather than a "purist" model maker my standards are lower, or at least different (eg. I *like* deep panel lines - they make for easier painting....) but I've always liked these kits - my 15mm WW2 Russians have for years been supported by a single Revell P-39, and I was thrilled to see the range back out again.

http://www.kampfgruppe144.com/phpbb3...hp?f=23&t=2659

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Oh, and just found the Japanese list; thought I'd posted it somewhere here before:

1 Kawanishi N1K2J 'Shiden-Kai'
    2 Mitsubishi A6M2 Type 21 'Zero'
    3 Mitsubishi J2M3 'Raiden'
    4 Nakajima C6N2 'Myrt'
    5 Nakajima Hayabusa Ki-43
    6 Nakajima Shoki Ki-44
    7 Kawasaki Hien Ki-61
    8 Nakajima Hayate Ki-84

Plus the four models that have question marks (unlike the other 24, these have never been re-released, so there are some doubts about the moulds' survival - given the Kate and the Val are in there, it's definitely fingers crossed....)

Nakajima B5N2 Type 97 'Kate'
    Aichi D3-A1 'Val'
    Yokosuka D4Y1/2 'Susei' Judy
    Kawanishi N1K1 George

I travelled to the my nearest model shop yesterday, hoping to find the new Fokker kits in 1/144 and was AMAZED at the sudden appearance of the WWII Revell 1/144range!! What a lot of planes to choose from!! I cannot report on the quality - money is so tight that the 2.40 euros price tag was nevertheless out of the question, (dreaming of buying series 5). It is moments like this when I think...ooops, I chose 1/200th for WWII !!??? Anyway too late....how about some pictures...In the raw is OK too (I mean fresh out of the box). Must be a difficult time for those trying to decide which way to go (1/200th or 1/144th) Aren't we lucky there is so much on offer these days. Shame I can't afford anything and support this business activity, (But as long as I am supporting someone in the financial sector who is now able to buy a third Porsche and a fourth house becasue I am on low wages, that is OK). I am so looking forward to seeing the Revell models...the was an Me262 loads of US planes...Corsairs...an RAF Typhoon, Tempest etc...wow. I wish you all that great feeling when you stumble across them in you local store!! Blauer Baron.

Hmm, just read through some of the reviews from your link...thanks, BTW!

I'm by no means a super "A" model builder; rather just an average joe with wargaming as a hobby, and some model building experience. These kits look pretty good to me though, for what I am using them for and the price I got them for.

The flash, IMHO, is minimal. The canopies looked fine to me. I think the folks in that review have a finer eye for models than I do, however.

I bought 4 P-39s from OZMDS a few years back, and with the shipping and all, the bill for those 4 Airacobras was $97 & change, USD. I could have bought 4 Revell P-39s for less than $25 USD. The Revell models look like they might be the exact same mold too.

One thing I will say though, is about Sweet model kits. I think I got a box of F4F Wildcats from Sweet via HLJ a few years back, for something like $10 USD. Those come 2 planes to a kit! Massively awesome decales, unbeatable quality. The only down side is I've never seen them in a local hobby shop, and they only do a limited range of planes. Prices vary online, I found HLJ to be as good as I could find. If you have the ability to get Sweet kits, you won't be disappointed. I like to be able to go into a hobby shop from time to time and just browse though. Buy something on impulse, I can't do that with Sweet kits.

Sweet does the P-51B also. I only needed one to complete a P-51B pair.

I wound up buying 6 pairs of the F-Toys P-40Es (that's right, I bought 12 of them @ an average price including shipping of about $10 USD), and if I am not mistaken, I have some spare decales left over from those that I may wind up using on the Revell P-40E. F-Toys are nearly unbeatable for what you get. Pre-painted, top notch detail.

I can see myself buying another Wildcat to make my second pair of those. The P-39 was a plane in 1/144 I wanted for so long that just wasn't available until OZMODS did some. Right after that (Murphy's Law), F-Toys came out with them. I had been "on the hunt" for P-39s for so long however, that when I saw this one in the shop, I instictively bought it! I already have a pair of Russian P-39s, and a pair of US pacific P-39s; no clue what I'll do with this one! But I already know I'll get a second one when I have the chance, to make a pair, and then set about deciding on how to paint them.

"Hello, my name is Rob, and I am a plastic model addict."
    Last edited by kaufschtick; 09-05-2013 at 08:36.

Quote Originally Posted by kaufschtick View Post
    One thing I will say though, is about Sweet model kits. I think I got a box of F4F Wildcats from Sweet via HLJ a few years back, for something like $10 USD. Those come 2 planes to a kit! Massively awesome decales, unbeatable quality.
    Cover art's not bad, either....

Oh dear -- did I say that out loud?

<- NOT A PEDOPHILE, DAMN IT!

(Sorry -- last weekend I was a 40-year-old male unattended at an anime convention; it got to where I could draw the carpet patterns from memory, such were my attempts to Not Look Like Aqualung.... :) )

Cover art's not bad, either....

Oh dear -- did I say that out loud?

<- NOT A PEDOPHILE, DAMN IT!

(Sorry -- last weekend I was a 40-year-old male unattended at an anime convention; it got to where I could draw the carpet patterns from memory, such were my attempts to Not Look Like Aqualung.... )
    ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blauer Baron View Post
    Must be a difficult time for those trying to decide which way to go (1/200th or 1/144th) Aren't we lucky there is so much on offer these days.
    I hear you on the money being tight, same with me.

I'm not sure there is much of a choice as far as whether to go 1/144 or 1/200 for new players, now that the maneuver decks aren't sold seperately. Used to be I could buy the boxed sets seperately and get the maneuver cards. Not so now, but I already have all the planes I'm ever likely to need, so I'm kinda locked in at this point.

Fortunately for me, I have a close friend that went 1/200 scale, so I can buy the planes, keep the cards, pegs and bases, and give him the planes. Otherwise, I have no use what-so-ever for the 1/200 scale planes. I'm too far in to turn back in 1/144 scale.

Buying the planes now just for the maneuver decks isn't too terribly bad for me, cost wise. Fire from the Sky had one each of the E, F, G & H maneuver decks, and a pair of the I decks (single engine bombers). I wanna say it was $30-$35 USD, and so I bought 2 of those for doubles on the maneuver decks. Cost me $60-$70 USD.

I'll start with 2 each of the fast fighter planes, from an online vendor @ $10 USD each, or about $80 USD in all. Not too bad because I have the planes already. But if I were just starting out in this game, it wouldn't make any sense to not just stay with the 1/200 scale planes. No painting, very little to worry about getting broken, super nice looking.

IMHO, the only downside on the 1/200 scale planes is the unpainted canopies (I'd have to paint them myself), and the cost of the twin engine bombers, those are a little steep.

Have you tried printing out the maneuver decks from the files section?
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Have you tried printing out the maneuver decks from the files section?
    Karl
    Thought about that, but to make them double sided, I would wind up laminating them. When I factor in the cost of the ink, and laminating pouches, plus all the time and effort...I'm not sure there is enough savings for me.

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have commented elsewhere: "An aircraft carrier crewed by sapient cats led by a sixteen-year-old girl -- I'm surprised no one's made that into an anime or manga yet. Hell, John Ringo would jump at that s*** in half-a-minute." :)

Thought about that, but to make them double sided, I would wind up laminating them. When I factor in the cost of the ink, and laminating pouches, plus all the time and effort...I'm not sure there is enough savings for me.
    But only if there are the decks to buy, right?
    Karl

I've got a pretty basic printer. I've never really thought about trying to make my own maneuver decks until just recently. Anyone out there with any good tips on how to do it?

Rob

I discovered that Office Depot does a great job on my printing needs.

Rich

Thumbs up

The Revel kits, I think are going to be a nice option for 1/144 scale gamers who paint and build.

I have, for a long, long time, admired a little 1/144 scale F4U Corsair in the showcase of the Graceland Hobbyland here in Columbus. The builder painted it in OD, which you don't see very often on an F4U. For the longest time, I wished I could get ahold of the kit, because it was a nice looking model, and F4U-1s are not readily available as kits or as pre-paints.

Recently, I was down there looking through the shop, and stopped again to admire it. It was then that I noticed the placard in front of it, which indicated that it was a Revell kit!

I will definately be grabbing one of these to complete a wingman for this one! Right now this is my only "single" Corsair. I have two other pairs of F4Us. I think the 3 bladed ones are F4U-1s (?), and the 4 bladed ones are F4U-4s (?).

Cue the music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iadRi_d5do

Very interesting vid I ran across on You Tube about Gregory "Pappy" boyington...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbqLfttV1x0

True story of Gregory "Pappy" Boyington

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu6AcuX0PQw Part I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAhi68fxe_s Part II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xOh_7p-Q2Y Part III

Last edited by kaufschtick; 09-30-2013 at 14:25.

I have commented elsewhere: "An aircraft carrier crewed by sapient cats led by a sixteen-year-old girl -- I'm surprised no one's made that into an anime or manga yet. Hell, John Ringo would jump at that s*** in half-a-minute."
    Only if he thought it'd sell books.

The author's job basically boils down to two primary objectives...
    1. GET PAID.
    2. Rock the boat JUST ENOUGH to make friends who will help you with Objective One, but not enough to make the kind of enemies that prevent Objective One.

Larry Correia, who's collaborating with John Ringo on a project, has some interesting thoughts on what being a paid author entails over on his blog at Monster Hunter Nation...

Timbo33

All available from Hannants for £1.99 each: http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/ind...=&save_search=

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Larry Correia, who's collaborating with John Ringo on a project, has some interesting thoughts on what being a paid author entails over on his blog at Monster Hunter Nation...
    Already reading the Portugese take on Publishing -- him, and Sarah Hoyt. (If you've read _Darkship Thieves_: I'm in it -- "missing, presumed dead; but they haven't found the body", and You Know What That Means >:); Sarah has indicated I'm probably the guy running the guillotines during the Revolution.)

Sheesh, quit trying to catch up with buckley!

Already reading the Portugese take on Publishing -- him, and Sarah Hoyt. (If you've read _Darkship Thieves_: I'm in it -- "missing, presumed dead; but they haven't found the body", and You Know What That Means >; Sarah has indicated I'm probably the guy running the guillotines during the Revolution.)

Already reading the Portugese take on Publishing -- him, and Sarah Hoyt. (If you've read _Darkship Thieves_: I'm in it -- "missing, presumed dead; but they haven't found the body", and You Know What That Means >; Sarah has indicated I'm probably the guy running the guillotines during the Revolution.)
    Funny, an engineer buddy has also appeared in a John Ringo novel--and "Mad Mike" Williamson is an old acquaintance from the gun-boards. (Larry used to mod on one, which is where we first crossed paths--if you check out the MHI Employee Handbook & RPG, I'm in the Acknowledgments under my alias... alas, Ares cleartexted my name in the SGN rulebook. )

Oh my, baenned books time here.... as someone who got hammered in Vorpal Blade

Oh, I remember Kupari's DEAD SIX series back when it was just a series of interesting posts on THR, BEFORE it got cleaned up for print, and had the privilege of reviewing some rough drafts for some of the sequel work.

Quote Originally Posted by wargamer View Post
    Sheesh, quit trying to catch up with buckley!
    I'm not -- in fact, of the three Baens I've appeared in, I've only been Officially Deaded In Book once (I get to make the Heroic Speech for the PT-boat crew in _Carnifex_; I told Herr Oberst "All I ask is that I not die stupidly, and I *don't* leave anything for the f***ing megalodons" -- I... have a problem... with the notion of Being Eaten By Large Ill-Tempered Fish). In _Some Golden Harbor_, I've been dead for some 700 years (the "semi-literate drunk" who mapped the sector -- Mr. Drake knows full-well how literate I am, and that I cannot process alcohol; I am guessing this is his sense of humor at play :) ). _DST_, my status is "indeterminate".

There's another author out there who's name-checked me, but he's not Baen-published -- in that one, I survive. :)

Oh, and if you ever see a reference in Baen works to Penguins On Fire: Yo.... >:)

Similar Missions

1. Revell 1/144 re-release dates
    By Baldrick62 in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-06-2013, 15:25
  2. Revell Minis
    By BobP in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-07-2012, 00:34
  3. WGF 1/144 WWII Aircraft For Sale/Trade
    By Fabric Flyer in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-09-2012, 08:28
  4. Revell Fokker DR1
    By Coog in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-29-2012, 18:49
  5. New Book on WW1 Air Warfare by Alex Revell.
    By gully_raker in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-21-2011, 06:49