Ares Games

Thread: Thornbury IPMS

Default Thornbury IPMS

AS you are aware last weekend the Avon Flight of the South West & Wales Squadron popped along to the inaugrial wargames section of the Bristol IPMS show in Thornbury.
    For me it was great as for the first time I only had to make a 15 minute trip to an event for the Drome.

We arrived early to set up and decided our first game would be to try out the new Series Hanriots and Aviatics, not a Triplane in sight.
    So Let battle commence.

For this show we had a display table, it may be a bit vain of myself but I like to have a dispaly so we can show off what can be available for the game, so we set up showing both versions of the game , some of the items available and what can be used to transport the planes, in my case KR cases. Here is what it looked like

We had quite a few comments on the models and the game aids we used all received favorable comments.

So Game one started with the new series Hanriots, with a Spad against the new Aviatics and a Hansa Brandenburg D type

This ended up with a victory for the Central powers.

Game 2 was a repeat with some new converts to the game having a go, they left looking for the new starter packs so happy all way round. This time victory went to the Italians and lone Frenchman, even if he did go down

Next game was a new scenario we have introduced.
    A pair of umpire controlled AEG IV bombers trying to photo the town, attacked by a number of allied aircraft including A Sopwith Triplane ( not not the new Ares ) and some Neiuport 17s, with a lone Spad VII & XIII.
    The two AEG took the Allied pilots by surprise with their speed and front and rear gunners. Both made it to target and took the pictures and turned for home. A great little game with the AEG losing one of their number but took out two of the 5 pursuing aircraft, however in retrospect the Entente pilots were up against it speed wise.

The scenario prooved so popular we ran it again, this time giving the Entente a few camels to chase down the AEG. This time the AEG did not fare as well one only lasting three turns and making it only a quarter of the way to target before going down in a heap of flames. THe second AEG made target and returned home, just , even though no rear gunner , he had been killed over the target, great fun

Last game was avariation on the AEG scenario, this time a pair of Roland C types, this did not go well for the central powers, despite early success and turning a couple of the Camels into heated cockpit versions.

Afraid I got a bit carried away playing this one.

Unfortunately the day soon got ready to wind up when we were asked to go into the main hall for the prize presentations.
    Image when it was announced what the best participation game was .

L-R boney 10 (Chris), Dave Manley, Bobby, Armstrongjohn1 (Mark ), Lord Flashheart ( Stewart)

We were asked if we would be back next year which we readily agreed to.
    Great day made good by winning the accolade, but better meeting and introducing new people to the game.
    With Thanks to Dave Manley for organising the show, for helping out, Stuart, Mark and his son Bobby and myself making up the numbers.
    Looking forward to the next one

Great to see Chris.
    Well done to all participants.
    I did like seeing Clipper's Airship in the centre of the display.
    Rob.

Forg ot say there are a few more pics in my album IPMS, enjoy chaps

Well done again and a well deserved best of show prize. Its always nice to be asked back again.

A great 'after action' report and congratulations on the award!

Similar Missions

1. IPMS Thornbury SHOWREP
    By David Manley in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-13-2013, 09:15
  2. Thornbury, August 11th
    By David Manley in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-11-2013, 12:47
  3. IPMS Avon Show Confirmed
    By David Manley in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 2