Ares Games

Thread: We're...Addicted

Default We're...Addicted

Adler64. The G Dog, Smitch, and myself...we have a problem...a BIG problem. Call the families, we need an intervention. Call the mental ward, we need a permanent wing. You see, we have TOO MANY PLANES! Between the four of us we have @150 Nexus/Ares Wings of War/Wings of Glory aircraft, along with balloons.

I made a mistake I tell you...I started talking about gaming WoW again a couple of months ago, and I think that renewed the arms race. I had a few aircraft from a couple of years ago, a dozen to be exact, and was pretty happy. But then I started talking the the guys about gaming WoW again, and next thing you know, I am up to 25 planes (which includes two F-Toys). Smitch has been buying a few more of the new releases here and there, and Adler64...the man needs a net and a padded cell...just bought 15 of the early war series, including...get this...TEN of the Buddecke Fokker E.IIIs!!!!

Guys we need help! How many Olieslager Camels do four gamers need? Apparently five. Who knew that Olieslager had a multiple personality disorder!

Okay, don't start thinking we are in need of selling our planes...that ain't going to happen! And as for repainting them, I see Adler64 perhaps doing that with his Eindeckers, but I am not certain if the other guys would consider that. Lord knows I am not going to!

Perhaps we need to sign some sort of unilateral agreement. Perhaps each guy focuses only on a certain nation or two. That would make sense, but this bunch didn't come equipped with sense!

Yes, I know that there are some out there on this forum who have 150+ planes on their own accord. That would make some sense IF WoW was your primary gaming interest and you gamed more often than once a month. But I am thinking that 150+ planes for four guys who only meet occasional is borderline insane!

Perhaps my next blog post will be from the Fokker, er, I mean funny farm. Because if we keep doing this, that is where we all will be!
    Last edited by predhead; 08-13-2013 at 18:17. Reason: spelling

Are not all hobbyists addicted in some way?

Nothing wrong here. You're well stocked & well prepared. Now you guys can introduce the game to others, lend spare planes to new players, run games independent of each other, you name it. Now go buy more planes.

Problem? I don't have a problem. If you think I have too many WWI planes, then wait until you see my 1/144 WWII collection! You ain't seen nothin' yet! Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Nothing wrong here. You're well stocked & well prepared. Now you guys can introduce the game to others, lend spare planes to new players, run games independent of each other, you name it. Now go buy more planes.
    I agree...become a plane pusher and get others infected with this addiction.

Only 150 planes between you????? Do try to keep up!

The player with the most planes always wins!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Only 150 planes between you????? Do try to keep up!
    I have to agree with Steve - you fellows are quite restrained in your Wings of Glory habits.

Wait until you get to about 350 aircraft each and have to consider moving to a larger residence to house your miniature air fleet!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    I have to agree with Steve - you fellows are quite restrained in your Wings of Glory habits.

Wait until you get to about 350 aircraft each and have to consider moving to a larger residence to house your miniature air fleet!
    Great Carl.
    With only about 240 planes I can tell Mrs Kyte that I am quite restrained.
    Do you think it will work?
    Rob.

Chaps are right, Darryl There is a long way to go, but the point is you are still hungry for new planes Keep feeding the wolves within your and Ares will never share the fate of Nexus.

My original goal was to repaint some of the duplicate SPAD and Camel models. Just never got around to it yet. Its not like I have every plane. There are a lot of the later planes that I never picked up.

Just because I have three Caproni bombers, does not mean I have a problem. If I start referring to them as "My Little Capronis" THEN I have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post

The fiancee has already commented about getting a house with room for gaming (we live in a condo and the dining room table has, thus far, served well as a gaming table). We just moved in March!

An actual count of planes is 161!

And mates, you aren't really helping much with your comments...all you are doing is making me want to buy more to keep up!

I am ashamed :embarass: Only 28 minis, counting WW1 & WW2

Shame on you, Carlos!

I have 25, all Great War, and I think THAT is too many!

Quote Originally Posted by predhead View Post
    Shame on you, Carlos!

I have 25, all Great War, and I think THAT is too many!
    Indeed

I have 85 WW1 minis in my collection and i want MORE!!!

Welcome to the forum Bruno. You see? We have here a man with a respectable number of planes.

I have 3 of my own. Along with another 54 WW1, 28 WW2 (1/144th and 1/200). The wife says something must go and something does to the hidden cabinet in the garage but thats not what she meant...and she found the hiding place. (I still have a 28mm Ancient Greek/Spartan army for sale...any takers?).

Guys we need help! How many Olieslager Camels do four gamers need? Apparently five. Who knew that Olieslager had a multiple personality disorder!

So it appears that the reason for the Nexus planes shooting up in price is because gamers have several of the same plane? Wonder if folks sold their extra copies of the same plane if we would see a price drop!

Quote Originally Posted by The G Dog View Post
    Just because I have three Caproni bombers, does not mean I have a problem. If I start referring to them as "My Little Capronis" THEN I have a problem.
    Great, now I want to do My Little Pony Caproni conversions.

My original goal was to repaint some of the duplicate SPAD and Camel models. Just never got around to it yet. Its not like I have every plane. There are a lot of the later planes that I never picked up.

Humm, I have four He-111s, AND I call them "my little Heinkels". Do I have a problem ?

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    I have 3 of my own. Along with another 54 WW1, 28 WW2 (1/144th and 1/200). The wife says something must go and something does to the hidden cabinet in the garage but thats not what she meant...and she found the hiding place. (I still have a 28mm Ancient Greek/Spartan army for sale...any takers?).
    Can you find a gaming buddy who will keep some of your miniatures for you ?

My wife occasionally complains about my collection of gaming toys.
    However, since she is an antique dealer and has the two car garage and the shed full of "antiques" (old junk), all I have to do is mention that she should get rid of some of her stuff.
    After that, she looses interest in getting rid of my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Zakopious View Post
    My wife occasionally complains about my collection of gaming toys.
    However, since she is an antique dealer and has the two car garage and the shed full of "antiques" (old junk), all I have to do is mention that she should get rid of some of her stuff.
    After that, she looses interest in getting rid of my stuff.
    Yeah, I wish I could point something out to the fiancee, but she is far from a hoarder, she throws everything away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Great Carl.
    With only about 240 planes I can tell Mrs Kyte that I am quite restrained.
    Do you think it will work?
    Rob.
    There's a difference between BEING restrained & needing to BE restrained...

Clipper has a thread in the hobby section instructing how to print decals of the 94th aero squadron "Showbird" Spads if you're looking to do something with those extras. And you should pick up some of the recent series. The SS.DIII's are sweet.

My Liittle Capronis, Bombing is Magic. I await the repaints with fear and trepidation.

I have established mine as "therapy":
    it keeps my blood pressure low,
    keeps me out of the bars,
    keeps me home most nights (except game nights),
    helps me sleep (counting Capronis!)
    keeps my mind sharp and dementia at bay,
    my history is better,
    my budgeting is much better (must have funds set aside for new releases),
    we travel more (aviation museums),
    helps with fine motor skills,
    further developed international geography
    expanded my vocabulary (good and bad words),
    expanded international understandings and communications I would never have had,
    I can go on if needed . . . you can see I have been here a while, and what about those elves?

Spot on Clipper.

It also saves on therapist bills, as long as we don't let on about the Elves.
    I think Kyte has seen them recently.
    Rob.

First of all the only thing I can see wrong with this is not the planes.....................the game is now called WoG, you get that down the amount of planes you have should not matter.

Quote Originally Posted by somaliavet View Post
    Great, now I want to do My Little Pony Caproni conversions.
    <*OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMINOUS HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM*>

THINK IT OVER....

>;)

I have to agree with Steve. I have 155 Ares/Nexus planes and over 125 F-Toys 1/144 WWII. Just think, next month the next WWII is due out so that would make another 12 +. I bet the repaint folks have more than that.

Then what would Kogenhaus (Kommandierender General der Haus) think about my "Just One of Each" collection that will go no higher than 91 on WWI until the next series is out? LOL (Though in my case it's a nagging, overbearing mother straight out of Psycho, and I get to come back with "Hey, YOU STARTED IT!" )

Cursing Ares' dogged refusal to consider releasing no-card "white tails" as accessories, though... I've been seeing some pretty good decal offerings, and some of the profiles in Osprey's books don't look too hard... and at the rate they're going we'll NEVER see Jasta 11 completed "straight from box".
    Last edited by Diamondback; 08-14-2013 at 16:52.

Only three little Capronis! And what about the Big Capronis? You need a few of them to make the little ones look little.

Clippers words of wisdom show this isn't a problem, it's a solution!

Ian

I only have one each of the WWI bombers. I guess that is where I slacked off in planes.

Smile

Worry not my friends! You can just NEVER have too many Aircraft!!!!
    By the way have you started into WW2 yet?

Users Country Flag

Name
    ERIN
    Sorties Flown

I am in the same boat, it has been a while since I looked at the new aircraft coming out. Has anyone put together an entire picture file of every ww1/ww2 produced in the series.

What are we up to for ww1 now, series 6?

Quote Originally Posted by PRS View Post
    My Liittle Capronis, Bombing is Magic. I await the repaints with fear and trepidation.
    [Gibbs voice]"DINOZZO!"[/Gibbs]

Don't worry, you'll have lots more soon.
    I'm just glad the planes are light. Now Books, that's a different issue.
    We had to empty the second storey room being used as a library because there was too much weight for the porch to be deconstructed (1917 home; just 20' 2x4s going straight up with no cross pieces found in more modern homes). We removed 1-1.5 tons!!! of books and quilting fabric out.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Worry not my friends! You can just NEVER have too many Aircraft!!!!
    By the way have you started into WW2 yet?
    Nooooooo! Smitch and Adler64 have aircraft for Check Your Six, but I have and will continue to shy away from WWII!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    I am in the same boat, it has been a while since I looked at the new aircraft coming out. Has anyone put together an entire picture file of every ww1/ww2 produced in the series.

What are we up to for ww1 now, series 6?
    There is a file on the group that shows every WWI aircraft.

Yep, Series 6!

With Series 7's four sculpts announced already.

I've been collecting since Series 1, and from the start I generally bought two of the three paint schemes for each aircraft. I like having a pair of each aircraft for small scenarios, and I figured that would be more than enough, especially since my friends predhead, Adler64 and The G Dog were also collecting. By pooling our air fleets we could play some seriously large battles. I honestly never thought the game would last as long as it has or that we'd now be up to six series, plus bombers and balloons, with more on the way. Not that I'm complaining of course! Just makes it hard to keep up sometimes!

In fact, I always felt I had a "hole" in my collection because I only had one R.E.8. I've never even used it in a game, but I still wanted another R.E.8 so I'd have a pair of them. Yesterday I found a good price on the Belgian R.E.8 so I ordered one, which will finally fill a gap in my collection. Must be my OCD showing.