Ares Games

Thread: Jet Power Russian style.

Default Jet Power Russian style.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jet power.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	101821Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jet power 2.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	101822

Probably the first jet powered bi plane

Thumbs up

Now that IS different! Scary even!

I did not know that they had fitted jet engines to a biplane. Was it strong enough to withstand the stress?

Interesting.

Like David, I am wondering how the stress test went.

Maybe it changed from a biplane to a monoplane...

Strange experiments.

And I wonder how much jet fuel the pilot had to imbibe before getting into those cockpits!

Quote Originally Posted by Archidamus View Post
    And I wonder how much jet fuel the pilot had to imbibe before getting into those cockpits!
    Probably a hugh lot! And then he had to blow into a tube to fire up the engines...

Ah, I bet take-off was a 'brown trouser' moment

Kyte achieved this years ago with two G&T bottles strapped to the wings.
    Oh No! Another fire.
    Rob.

Default Henri Coandă

Quote Originally Posted by phililphall View Post
    Or perhaps not.

Name:	coanda1.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	101877

'The Coandă-1910 was the first aircraft built with a turbine powerplant which compressed and heated air, and expelled it rearward for thrust. It was constructed by Romanian inventor Henri Coandă and exhibited by him at the Second International Aeronautical Exhibition in Paris in October 1910. In the 1950s, Coandă began to claim that this aircraft was the first jet, and that it flew once and crashed at the French Army airfield Issy-les-Moulineaux on the outskirts of Paris. Some aviation historians agreed, and some disputed his claim.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Coand%C4%83

This one looks more like something you throw from 30.000 feet on a target, not like a plane .

That biplane remember me another famous prototype. I hope the soviet test pilot has had better luck than the other.

Attachment 101879

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    I did not know that they had fitted jet engines to a biplane. Was it strong enough to withstand the stress?
    Ah, those crazy Eastern Europeans! The embodiment of what happens when aeronautical 'genius', agricultural collectivisation and tractor factories meet!

Name:	AM6IR.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	101880

'The PZL M-15 is believed to be the world's only jet agricultural plane (e.g., the world's only jet cropduster), the world's only jet biplane and the world's slowest jet, at least as far as aircraft that have been put in mass production.'
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PZL_M-15_Belphegor
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 08-01-2013 at 07:05.

Combining the speed of a biplane with the fuel efficiency of a jet engine
    karl

Well, they had to be tested somehow; and since the first jets had anemic performance, especially on takeoff....

Infamously, the first ME262 had a piston engine in the nose in case the jet engines failed -- which they did; without the piston engine, the bird would have crashed. Then, when the piston engine was removed, it was found that the jet exhaust from the wing-mounted engines on the taildragger-landing-gear -262 was "blanking off" the elevators; this problem hadn't cropped up on the mixed-power unit as the prop countered the jet exhaust....

Jet engines on a biplane....I would think the wings would blow off.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chum View Post
    Jet engines on a biplane....I would think the wings would blow off.:confused:
    With enough power, maybe -- but early jets didn't have that much.

Also, as is said in auto racing: "The throttle is a lever, not a switch." >:)

I'd risk the bi-plane before the LaGG. The LaGG has pulse jets under both wings. Let them get out of sync, and they will, you are in for one heck of a ride.

I'd risk the bi-plane before the LaGG. The LaGG has pulse jets under both wings. Let them get out of sync, and they will, you are in for one heck of a ride.
    Good catch; I missed that. Yeh, pulse jets are totally unsuitable for paired use. Both the Germans and the US tried (and apparently the USSR too!)
    Karl

I still say if they had a bigger engine at the time that this would have changed a lot of outcomes.

Name:	Warz of Oz.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	102205

Was going to put these pictures in another quiz, but it would probably work better here...

And just guessing from the small size of this early engine, it looks like the Russians may have acquired a few of these from navy surplus and did a "hey bubba! look at this!" moment. or insert ivan instead of bubba - whatever.

Name:	DSC00274.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	103538Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00275.jpg 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	103539 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mcdonnell_fh1_greggstansbery.jpg 
Size:	192.0 KB 
ID:	103540

Quote Originally Posted by wargamer View Post
    And just guessing from the small size of this early engine, it looks like the Russians may have acquired a few of these from navy surplus and did a "hey bubba! look at this!" moment. or insert ivan instead of bubba - whatever.
    Actually, I think the sequence of events may have been delete 'Ivan', insert 'Bubba'.

Courtesy of Wiki: 'In the Soviet Union, a theory of supersonic ramjet engines was presented in 1928 by Boris Stechkin. Yuri Pobedonostsev, chief of GIRD's 3rd Brigade, carried out a great deal of research into ramjet engines. The first engine, the GIRD-04, was designed by I.A. Merkulov and tested in April 1933. In 1939, Merkulov did further ramjet tests using a two-stage rocket, the R-3. In August of that year, he developed the first ramjet engine for use as an auxiliary motor of an aircraft, the DM-1. The world's first ramjet-powered airplane flight took place in December 1939, using two DM-2 engines on a modified Polikarpov I-15. Merkulov designed a ramjet fighter "Samolet D" in 1941, which was never completed. Two of his DM-4 engines were installed on the YaK-7 PVRD fighter, during World War II.'

Similar Missions

1. Galland and his gang, man! With Style!
    By Dark Horse in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-21-2013, 12:50
  2. WSF Morane Saulnier P, Russian Style!
    By clipper1801 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-21-2012, 15:57
  3. Bloody April 1916 style!
    By gully_raker in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-11-2012, 06:44
  4. Using DoW as a base for a more Modern Style game
    By The Juggernaut in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-25-2011, 10:53
  5. What's happend to the Rep power?