Ares Games

Thread: AAR: Battle of Family Room Floor (*New 2 seaters first flight*)

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Tommy
    Sorties Flown

Default AAR: Battle of Family Room Floor (*New 2 seaters first flight*)

So the new 2 seaters arrived yesterday. (Many thanks to Xen). The son and I were chomping at the bit to get them in the air.

The first battle the boy flew the Re-8 and I flew Lothar's Dr. 1. Things went about as expected, I used the Dr.1's superior maneuverability to find the Re-8's blind spots. A few shots here and a few shots there, and he was in bad shape. The boy decided discretion was the better part of valor and made for his side of the map as soon as I made a poorly time turn. He almost made it, but in the end I got him just as he was 1 card away from the edge. I however did not escape unscathed. He managed to get his rear gun on me a few times but fortunately I kept drawing 0's. During the final chase I took some damage as well, but nothing serious.

The second battle I flew the US Breguet (using B/B instead of B/A to give the boy a better chance) and the boy flew his now infamous Pirate SS D. III. He had some trouble right off the bat and suffered fire damage. He overcame this original struggle and managed to kill my observer rendering the rear gun inactive. He then proceeded to tear me apart, shouting "come at me bro" ( The wife spit her wine out and we both have no idea where he learned that) until an ill timed head on pass occurred. We both had only 1 hit point left, and we blazed away from close range and that was the end of it. It was quite a remarkable comeback for the boy considering the amount of fire damage he took.

All in all it was a really fun night. My review of my first 2 seater battle, is the 2 seaters are not the overpowering force I thought they would be. We do not play with altitude and I was originally worried they would just dominate. However, when I was the Dr.1 I managed to come in on the blind spots a few times and shot the Re-8 up pretty bad. Then once my son killed my observer, in the next round, things turned in his favor pretty quickly. They are not the cannon fodder they seem to have been in real life though.

I am looking forward to many hours of fun and many new AAR's with our new 2 seaters.

Glad you and your son are enjoying the game. Keep those AARs coming!

Quote Originally Posted by TGalante View Post
    So the new 2 seaters arrived yesterday. (Many thanks to Xen). The son and I were chomping at the bit to get them in the air.

The first battle the boy flew the Re-8 and I flew Lothar's Dr. 1. Things went about as expected, I used the Dr.1's superior maneuverability to find the Re-8's blind spots. A few shots here and a few shots there, and he was in bad shape. The boy decided discretion was the better part of valor and made for his side of the map as soon as I made a poorly time turn. He almost made it, but in the end I got him just as he was 1 card away from the edge. I however did not escape unscathed. He managed to get his rear gun on me a few times but fortunately I kept drawing 0's. During the final chase I took some damage as well, but nothing serious.
    Sounds about right historically.

The second battle I flew the US Breguet (using B/B instead of B/A to give the boy a better chance) and the boy flew his now infamous Pirate SS D. III.
    Love, love, LOVE that plane! Wasn't familiar with them before the new release. What a revelation! The paint job just doubled the enjoyment.

He had some trouble right off the bat and suffered fire damage. He overcame this original struggle and managed to kill my observer rendering the rear gun inactive. He then proceeded to tear me apart, shouting "come at me bro" ( The wife spit her wine out and we both have no idea where he learned that)
    I love it.

until an ill timed head on pass occurred. We both had only 1 hit point left, and we blazed away from close range and that was the end of it. It was quite a remarkable comeback for the boy considering the amount of fire damage he took.

All in all it was a really fun night. My review of my first 2 seater battle, is the 2 seaters are not the overpowering force I thought they would be. We do not play with altitude and I was originally worried they would just dominate. However, when I was the Dr.1 I managed to come in on the blind spots a few times and shot the Re-8 up pretty bad. Then once my son killed my observer, in the next round, things turned in his favor pretty quickly. They are not the cannon fodder they seem to have been in real life though.

I am looking forward to many hours of fun and many new AAR's with our new 2 seaters.
    Again, sounds about right. My limited experience with the two-seaters thus far is that they're tough & a challenge to handle, due to being able get in the blind spot, but not invincible, especially if you get one that's slower & B/B armed it seems to balance out nicely. Have only tangled with a Brisfit once, under atypical circumstances, and have not dealt with some of the more heavily armed ones...nor am I looking forward to it either...

Nice report Tommy.

"Come at me bro!" Gotta love it!

Good AAR, and the jury seems to be out on how good the two seaters are. Catch them right with a bit of luck on your side and they go down just like any other plane. If you happen to get the rear gunner early on they are dead meat. All in all trading off A fire against B should win for the scout most times, but it is no means always the case.
    Rob.

Similar Missions

1. Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.
    By phililphall in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-03-2013, 13:32
  2. Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF)
    By Baldrick62 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-03-2013, 02:49
  3. I want to take the floor...
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 03-16-2012, 09:00
  4. Pasadena Flight takes to the Air (floor)
    By Anav in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-30-2011, 02:07