Ares Games

Thread: Bloody April Campaign (Scenario 2 Turn 12) "Rollencourt Rumble!"

Default Bloody April Campaign (Scenario 2 Turn 12) "Rollencourt Rumble!"

This AAR is part of Diceslinger's "Bloody April" campaign, based on the GMT Game by Terry Simo. You can follow the action HERE: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/ent...nario-2-begins the description of the scenario setup is HERE :http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...-2-Sortie-list

Josef Albers and Diedrich Knapp had no idea what was in store for them when they and the other members of Jasta 11 bounced the members of British 25 squadron that 4th day in March.

The day had began with great promise. The two had been gifted with two of the new Fokker d.VII's, blazing white, gifts from an unknown "benefactor". They had been thrilled at the new machines, but nervous at the same time. They knew of the rumors of the mysterious "White Marauder" who legend had it was rampaging up and down the front, destroying at will, and the bounty that had been placed on him. Some thought him a ghost, as reports had come in of the white machine having been brought down, only to rise from the flames like the phoenix, and begin the battle anew.

In any case, they had no wish to be mistaken for HIM, so hastily touched up the planes with some blue paint they procured. Albers in particular was thankful for the new machine. He had narrowly escaped with his life yesterday after losing two of his wingmen in the process. He had taken down a balloon, but had to flee for his life after the loss of his comrades. He wasn't sure after that close call how much more his nerves could take.

New paint jobs finished, they left for patrol that afternoon. That was when they encountered three Camels from 25 squadron and dove to attack. Each of the six from Jasta 11 paired off, chose a Camel and closed.

Albers and Knapp could see their chosen target ahead.

They closed...

...and suddenly the British machine turned...

...they had been spotted.

as the two closed...

...the Camel pilot must have decided he couldn't run and turned to the attack instead!

However, at the last moment must have lost his nerve and broke off...

Knapp dove for the attack...

Rounds ripped into the fuselage and engine.

Albers and Knapp banked away for another pass as the Camel went into a steep climb, attempting to gain the advantage of altitude.

That was when the tables turned. Suddenly the skies filled with more Camels. 43 Squadron, patrolling nearby, had seen a flare, came to investigate, and now flew to the rescue.

The two Germans knew that they had to equalize the odds quickly. They banked away from the new arrivals and attempted to close on their prey...

...as the two from 43 squadron began to climb...

...one opened fire...

...but could not draw a bead on the higher target.

Albers decides to break off, while Knapp sticks on target.

The two Camels from 43 continued to close the distance, and the red nose fired at Albers again...

doing minor damage to the tail and jamming his rudder.

The Germans go into a steep climb, using the D.VII's superior climb rate to leave their pursuers below...

While the Camel from number 25, seeing reenforcements, pulled an Immelman and turned on his would be pursuer...

...catching him in the process of climbing, unable to return fire, but missing the fast climbing target.

Albers turns on the red and blue noses, while Knapp dives to return fire on the striped.

The blue nose continues to fire at Albers, but still has trouble targeting the nimble fighter...

While Knapp puts more holes in the stripe's wings and fuselage until his guns jam.

Albers comes about, looking to get on the read and blues tails, while Knapp sticks to the stripe.

As Albers banks...

he watches as the stripe dives, clearing the way for the red to climb over him...

stitching Knapp's frame until his guns abruptly stop.

Working smoothly together, red slips away as Knapp turns to confront him, and blue takes up the attack.

As Albers continues through his power bank...

he can only watch in horror as the blue opens fire, guns blazing, ripping his wingman to shreads...

The furball unravels.

Albers banks and dives steeply, trying to save Knapp.

Hands shaking, he misses the target.

As all the combatants circle, Knapp breaks for the German lines.

But the red nose, guns now free, anticipates his move and intercepts.

Albers horror turns to pure terror as the reds fire ignites Knapps kite...

and it plunges from the sky, burning all the way...

while the red looks on...

as he smashes to the ground.

Albers was all alone.

As the hunters closed from all sides.

He only had one hope...

had to time this just right...

steady...

NOW!

As they closed around him, he jinked suddenly, slipping through the web they were spinning...

and breaking free...

leaving them tangled behind him.

As Albers fled for the German lines his cheeks burned in shame and humiliation.

Looking down at Knapp's buring wreck was a sobering reminder though of what would happen if he stood and fought.

He saw forward German troops closing on the wreck. He could only hope that somehow, Knapp had survived, but even with a miracle, he doubted it.

THE BUTCHERS BILL

Lt. Josef Albers (stripe), 1 damage, RTB, 0 kills & Lt. Diedrich Knapp (Vee) Shot down , wounded (+1), on fire (+2), "shot" (-2), roll of 5 on d10= final result 6, shot down, KIA!

Lt. Clarence Laing, 25 squadron (striped)
    , 8 damage, RTB, 0 kills.

Lt. Humphrey Tempest, 43 squadron (red), 0 damage, RTB, 1 Kill (Knapp) & Lt. Terrance Pickthorne, 43 squadron (blue), 0 damage, RTB, 0 kills.

An exciting, fun, but hard game. Tried Flash's altitude variant again in this one, with no peg restrictions, modified climb rate rules, max altitudes, etc & it worked pretty well. I'm on a streak of bad luck lately, & it continues. Bad roll on random set up put me too far away to do much damage before the cavalry arrived, & once Knap got hit with those two big 5's it was all over.

Sorry to tie this storyline to my own OtT one, but the only D.VII's I have built are the white ones. Didn't want to substitute & felt like I had to have a "plausible" reason. But I did try to dress them a little different for this AAR at least.

Smile

Well that was a savage encounter!
    I thought the striped Camel was sure to be "Fokker Fodder" but the tables turned quickly & one of the Huns got what for!
    Interesting to see the heights you achieved with all those pegs.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Well that was a savage encounter!
    I thought the striped Camel was sure to be "Fokker Fodder" but the tables turned quickly & one of the Huns got what for!
    Interesting to see the heights you achieved with all those pegs.
    Yeah, like I said, I rolled a 3 ruler distance & a 3rd turn entry for the cavalry, so I just couldn't close fast enough to do enough damage to even the odds. As for height, I wanted to test letting each plane climb to their max height. It was fun, but I don't know if I'll do it again.

Hey Rob - great AAR. How many pegs did you snap moving those models so high? Yikes.. haha...

Also - are those papercraft German planes or repaints?

Cheers,
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by celticgriffon View Post
    Hey Rob - great AAR. How many pegs did you snap moving those models so high? Yikes.. haha...

Also - are those papercraft German planes or repaints?

Cheers,
    Michael
    Nary a peg. Actually not hard to work with at all. The D.VII's are both paper. They're both the "White Marauder" (v.1&2) as seen in my OtT AAR's. Redressed them with a bit of painters tape.

Thought I recognised the altitude rules ! Worked very well for you Rob, looked good & provided very exciting action. I'm keeping my 'peg stack' to about 8 these days, found it's better to take pegs out of all stacks to give relative altitudes than have teetering models near a table edge ! Great AAR.

Aren't this high flight stands a bit wobbly?

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Thought I recognised the altitude rules ! Worked very well for you Rob, looked good & provided very exciting action. I'm keeping my 'peg stack' to about 8 these days, found it's better to take pegs out of all stacks to give relative altitudes than have teetering models near a table edge ! Great AAR.
    Thanks Dave! I've been trying to find a "magic number" 4-6 seemed a bit too low, max for aircraft was too high, so I'll try 8 next.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    Aren't this high flight stands a bit wobbly?
    If you don't push the pegs down firmly at some point in the stack, particularly at the bottom & middle, yes. Had a couple fall off once or twice, but generally no problems. Of course the Fokkers were paper, thus not as heavy, so it was only the Camels I really had to watch...

Great to see the AAR Rob! It's a shame about Knapp...I wonder if Albers might be after a little bit of revenge after this. I must say I'm a little surprised, I thought the D.VIIs would outmatch the Camels, but in each game they weren't up to the task. I like the bit about the White D.VII as well. I find it interesting as the lore around here grows we see pilots showing up in other stories, and story lines influencing each other. Good stuff! Thanks for taking part!

Quote Originally Posted by diceslinger View Post
    Great to see the AAR Rob! It's a shame about Knapp...I wonder if Albers might be after a little bit of revenge after this. I must say I'm a little surprised, I thought the D.VIIs would outmatch the Camels, but in each game they weren't up to the task. I like the bit about the White D.VII as well. I find it interesting as the lore around here grows we see pilots showing up in other stories, and story lines influencing each other. Good stuff! Thanks for taking part!
    Thanks Shawn! Glad you liked it & didn't mind the crossover. Sorry it was late. My intentions always excede my time it seems. The D.VII, while a great plane, isn't the "super weapon" that legend has built it into, in my experience at least.

As you know Rob, i love these story lines that cross over from OTT.
    It's a bit like what did you do on your day off daddy.
    I put in another patrol son.
    Great AAR. Edge of the seat stuff, and the altitude was extreme. When do we start to need a rule for oxygen depletion when pulling steep moves?
    Rob.

Fantastic AAR. Loved the height on the pegs. A game with real altitude. Nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Fantastic AAR. Loved the height on the pegs. A game with real altitude. Nicely done.
    Thanks Neil. I'm enjoying futzing about with Dave's rules. I really think they're the way to go in terms of getting the altitude feel with out a bunch of counters or extra fiddley-ness. But I don't think I'll go that high again. I think I may take the max heights & halve them or some such to get a more managable "max". Between that & the adjusted climb rates I want to try I'm hoping to have alt rules that aren't complex & require extra bookkeeping, while still keeping distinctions between aircraft & conveying some advantage to aircraft that can climb faster/higher.

They convey one unexpected bonus too: no more futzing about with collisions, which have become "unfun" for me when playing against the AI. This way, one airplane does a 1 peg climb, one does a dive, they narrowly miss, life goes on, versimilitude maintained, all good!

Similar Missions

1. Bloody April 1918 Scenario 2 Sortie list
    By diceslinger in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-11-2013, 13:18
  2. AAR / Bloody April 1918 / Scenario 2 / Turn 12 - Rollencourt Rumble!
    By celticgriffon in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-23-2013, 12:14
  3. Bloody April 1918 Scenario 1 comes to an end...what next?
    By diceslinger in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-18-2013, 21:02
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2012, 02:39
  5. How about a mini Campaign in "Bloody April"?
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-04-2012, 23:40