Ares Games

Thread: Harry's Game....

Default Harry's Game....

Ypres sector, July 23rd 1917

After a long period of inactivity, the roar of aero engines was once again heard over the Valley. Tommy was up to something! As we scrambled to get whatever aircraft were available into the sky, the distinctive shapes of two of their "Harry Tates" appeared above our lines. Off to the north two more airplanes could be seen - single seaters this time, Camels from the look of them and obviously intending to ambush our scouts sent to engage their RE8's.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STA70029.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	100456
    Our defenses were thus split: the Count leading his staffel of Fokker Dr I's against the British scouts, while I took a Halberstadt and an Albatros to engage their 2 seaters. This proved to be an unfortunate decision, as the Halberstadt was leaking fuel, either to poor maintenance or sabotage, and in the first burst of British fire, exploded violently, the poor aviator in the cockpit never stood a chance.

Name:	STA70030.jpg 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	100457

This left my Albatros outnumbered and outgunned against the two Tommies who quickly adopted a loose formation orbiting the battle zone so that an attack on one would almost always result in taking fire from it's team mate.

Away to the north, our two triplanes were giving Tommy a lesson in dogfighting, and managed to separate the two Camels, concentrating on one at a time. The first Tommy was damaged and limped away in short order, but his wing man seemed to have a charmed life - or nine of them!

Name:	STA70032.jpg 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	100455
    I pressed home my attacks against the RE8's and achieved many hits, but as I was about to finish of the first Englishman, the damaged English scout appeared and put a lethal burst into my engine and it was all over.

Name:	STA70033.jpg 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	100458
    To the north, the lone Camel continued to give back as good as it got, with interest and first one, then the second DrI was forced to return to base for repairs.

Name:	STA70037.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	100459
    A black day indeed for Gemany!

I must finish this report now, as two gentlemen from Berlin are waiting to see me.....

Good to see you chaps back in action Stuart !

Nice AAR. Its always a gamble to split your forces. Perhaps taking out the RE8's and worry about the camels afterward? All in all a nice tight AAR and report.

Thank you for an exciting AAR!

Nice AAR Stuart, looks like your luck ran out early. have a word with the mechanics when you get back

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Nice AAR. Its always a gamble to split your forces. Perhaps taking out the RE8's and worry about the camels afterward? All in all a nice tight AAR and report.
    Danke Mein Herren! Those 2 seaters are tough birds indeed, however I did manage to reduce one of them to a single damage point before that verdammt Camel appeared

Name:	STA70035.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	100501

Thanks for posting this Stuart! Very enjoyable!

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Tommy
    Sorties Flown

Very well written and I loved the pics. Thanks for posting.

A very entertaining scenario Stuart.
    I hope those gentlemen from Berlin are not too hard on you. I would hate to see yet another Funeral in Berlin.
    Kyte.

Smile

Well that's what happens to the Hun, Stuart when you take on us British & Colonial chaps.
    Great to see you back at the Gaming Table.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Well that's what happens to the Hun, Stuart
    Nope, that's what happened when the "Hun" beat not only me but two other guys. I will hear the last of it, but not any time soon :embarass:

Name:	STA70031.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	100504

So the missus took 3 of you to the mat single handed? A tough competitor indeed!

Similar Missions

1. eBay Cpt. Harry S. Gwinee - Nieuport 17 on eBay
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-01-2012, 20:15
  2. Nieuport 17, Flying Fish of Cpt. Harry S. Gwinne
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Past Repaint Contest Entries
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-23-2012, 12:11
  3. Video of Cpt. Harry Gwynne's 'flying fish' Nieuport
    By somaliavet in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-16-2012, 09:21
  4. Harry goes to the pictures (Valley Flight AAR)
    By Albert Ross in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 11:05
  5. Amazing 'In-Game' images from a Computer Flight Sim Game
    By usmc1855 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-10-2011, 08:39