• Of course

11 25.00%
  • No, I don't

21 47.73%
  • Dice? We are playing WoW, not craps!

12 27.27%

Thread: Dice

Question Dice

A mere curiosity: do you use dice as counters?

Perhaps it's for my long age DM formation, but when I needed counters for Wings of War, I automatically choose dice (e.g., a d12 is just perfect to keep trace of the turns a Balloon stays up).
    It's weird, but from all the threads I read, I got the idea that the average WoW player doesn't use them.

I used to use dice for keeping track of how many turns the balloons were up. Andrea has said that he does not like/want to use dice in the game, so I try to stay away from them when making any house rules or something.

No, I wasn't referring to house rules or something.
    Just as a mean to keep track of altitude, turns, damage, and so on.

I use them for balloon tracking, and we once used them to test a fuel house rule (how many turns left on table).
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

It makes good sense to use dice as counters for things but they need to be well managed as they are prone to getting knocked about, after all a numbered counter cannot be disputed !!

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    It makes good sense to use dice as counters for things but they need to be well managed as they are prone to getting knocked about, after all a numbered counter cannot be disputed !!
    Well, there you just need a bit common sense and attention. This is a game where it would be very easy to cheat: I hope there aren't players that would take advantage of dice in that direction.
    Last edited by Ducalutra; 06-20-2010 at 06:22.

I recently introduced the idea of using 1d6+2 to randomize starting altitude for all of the planes in a sortie. People were warm to the novelty of dealing with a variety of starting elevations, but were cold (even hostile) to the presence of dice. I just need to make sure and tuck them away after everyone has rolled for altitude.

-Joe

A random starting altitude isn't a bad idea at all!
    But I understand the hostility to dice. You might choose some numbered tokens and make players draw them random.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum Demon View Post
    I recently introduced the idea of using 1d6+2 to randomize starting altitude for all of the planes in a sortie. People were warm to the novelty of dealing with a variety of starting elevations, but were cold (even hostile) to the presence of dice. I just need to make sure and tuck them away after everyone has rolled for altitude.

-Joe
    Have you thought about making a deck of altitude cards and having them draw from that? No dice and it would fit in nicely with the rest of the game

I suppose we could just draw from the "A" damage deck and add 3. We'd get the same range of altitudes, but many more planes down lower.

The group isn't THAT allergic to dice, I don't think...

-Joe

Coming up with the cards would not be that hard. I might have to make it a project for the Files section here on the site... I kind of like the idea.

Y'all are nuts. Is the dice aversion so great that you'd rather come up with and carry around a whole new deck of cards just for a kooky optional rule some doof in Oregon came up with?

Carry on, good sir.

-Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Rum Demon View Post
    Y'all are nuts. Is the dice aversion so great that you'd rather come up with and carry around a whole new deck of cards just for a kooky optional rule some doof in Oregon came up with?
    Isn't Fanaticism wonderful? >:)

Seriously: Since _WoW_ players know d*** aren't used in the game for playing purproses, seeing them on the table would immediately suggest they serve some other purpose. I don't have a problem with using them as altitude markers, or "countdown clocks" for game events with time limits (fires; balloon landings; etc.).

We roll dice to determine the order that we draw damage cards if more than one player receives damage in a manoeuvre. It beats using a "spinner"/roulette wheel.

Are we "damned"?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    We roll dice to determine the order that we draw damage cards if more than one player receives damage in a manoeuvre. It beats using a "spinner"/roulette wheel.

Are we "damned"?
    Twice!

That's why I made a Balloon Damage Wheel! (see WWI files) I played this one game where someone used dice to keep track of the damage when the cards needed reshuffling... Can you guess how many times those damned dice kept getting sent rolling..?
    What a pain... I'd never trust a die to keep track of anything!

My son and I have been using 30mm sized D20's (large twenty sided dice) for years to keep track of damage. We hide them neatly on our respective sides so they are out of sight of the opponent and away from accidental bumping. I think they work great and haven't found anything that is as convenient for tracking damage. You set the die's number at the planes total hit points to start the mission and reset the number after each damage card (I always move my hand to the die even if it's a 0 just to throw off my opponent). We also use 6 sided dice for altitude counters, but that will change once our new bases arrive from my Aerodrome accessories order. I ordered 6. Anyways, I don't see the big deal if they are used only to keep track of game info.

Scott

I original used a 6-sided die to keep track of Balloon elevation as it was winched down when being attacked, but now elevation dials.

i dont use them yet.

Alan: Thanks for making that balloon damage wheel! I just got it printed out this weekend and can't wait to use it, as I love going against balloons.

Cheers,
    KW

I've tried, but as the table usually shares space with beverages of a fermented barley with hops kind of nature, they inevitably got knocked around and displaced as the evening wore on.

Similar Missions

1. Using dice for Damage?
    By Seiseki in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 04-23-2013, 14:03
  2. WGF: Custom Roundel Dice!
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-10-2009, 19:38