Ares Games

Thread: Homemade explosion counters for Wings of War / Glory and other mini wargames

Default Homemade explosion counters for Wings of War / Glory and other mini wargames

Hi everyone,

After a bit of research on the net I have decided to give this a try. I have made two explosion markers for crashed planes in Wings of Glory / War. They could also easily be used for other miniature games as well.

I was wondering if you could provide your honest opinion on them. I can take any punches if you think they suck. I would ultimately like to sell these at a very reasonable cost via ebay or perhaps on this site or elsewhere. Should they be more oily (black)... do they look super lame or kind of neat?

Two pictures are with out the interior candle in standard kitchen lighting. One is with the interior light turned on under normal kitchen lighting. The final picture is in the dark without flash but the interior bulb running.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	explosion 4.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	121.7 KB 
ID:	100305Click image for larger version. 

Name:	explosion 1.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	100308Click image for larger version. 

Name:	explosion 3.jpg 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	100306Click image for larger version. 

Name:	explosion 2.jpg 
Size:	143.0 KB 
ID:	100307

Cheers,
    Michael

Those...look...awesome. Very nice detail with the lighting. It adds a real nice sense of realism. I wouldn't mind picking a couple up for my own game-mats!

Michael - I will send you a pm.

Also, regarding the lights - if the battery somehow goes out it can be replaced with a CR2032 battery.

Cheers,
    Michael

Very nice! I seem to recall reading somewhere about making flame/explosion markers out of battery powered tea light "candles", but never tried it myself. I'm assuming this is something similar? Nicely done.

I've seen flickering LED lights used in markers on this side of the pond - very effective on burning armour - look something like this:

The guy with the Bolt Action trade stand (name escapes me) at Bovington was selling the lights for them.

I do like the third one down in particular Michael.
    I toyed with the idea of doing something similar with a flickering LED but it never really caught fire.
    I am a fan of lighting effects as you will see shortly.
    What switching system do you employ?
    Rob.

They look great. I would use a couple if I had them.

I'm not sure I would use them, but I would say they look great! Very creative, and well worth some rep!

Hey everyone - thanks for the comments!! I was thinking about selling 1 for 7.00, 2 for 12.00 and 3 for 15.00 (either CDN or US). I just need to find a way to protect them - perhaps a spot of hot glue to the base of the counter on a cardboard sheet with a cup taped over them? I know how things can get damaged in the mail...

Rob (Moonsylver) - yes they are made with electric candle / tealights and pillow/quilt stuffing material and glue and a lot of different colours of paint. I am also going to experiment with using some different transluscent wrapping papers attached around the light inside the candle to see what it does.

Dave - I really like the photo you posted. It confirms my belief that I need to make them a little more oily/smokey instead of Green Goblin Pumpkin Bombs... haha

Rob (FO Kyte) - All four pictures are of the same two explosions - just under different lighting conditions. No complicated LED stuff here - although their is a lot of good stuff for model railroading. I found the harnesses available from Evan Designs to work well. I was thinking of a simple way to rig a small battery to experiment with some super neat smoke and flame counters for the planes in flight as well.

On a different note - I have noticed many people tend to paint explosion and fire with a black base. It seems to have become the norm in hobby painting. But if you look at fire carefully the base is almost always the lightest spectrum (white and yellow) with transitions to orange and red and the black smoke is usually at the top of everything. So this is how I have painted them.

Cheers,
    Michael

Good idea Michael. I like your thinking about the base color. Have you considered a three pack with slightly different colors and degrees of black - almost a progression thing? I can see these adding quite a bit to AARs and con-games. Folks probably would buy more than one if they are going to buy at all, so your 3 for 15 seems reasonable enough that I believe you could move these quite nicely.

Hey everyone - I have decided to test market these on ebay. Here is the link if you are interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141024369920...920%26_rdc%3D1

Cheers,
    Michael

I will take a look. Why don't you pop over for a game and bring a couple with you

Hey Darell, do you attend Fallcon in Calgary? I am going to be moderating an entry level WoW WW1 game Saturday night of the con. Haven't quite decided what scenario i am going to run through yet.. But it should be fun. I am budgeting for 16 players. )

Nice work mate. I have been on the lookout for the electric teacandles to make some wreck markers for my Space Marines

Dave

Similar Missions

1. Compra de Wings of War e Wings of Glory
    By Nick_ace in forum Brazilian Wing
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-05-2013, 13:44
  2. Svět deskových her - hraní Wings of Glory (Wings of War)
    By Ladinek in forum Czechoslovak Wing
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-04-2013, 11:51
  3. homemade DH 2 and Caproni Ca 3
    By VORIS in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-10-2013, 15:48
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-02-2013, 12:53
  5. Homemade Gameboard
    By Zeppelin in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 19