Ares Games

Thread: How not to land a Spitfire!

Default How not to land a Spitfire!

Griffon-powered Mk.XIV Spitfire at Dijon, FRA earlier this month. Not the best quality video, but the 'souvenir hunting' at the end gives an idea of the damage done and should have resulted in an immediate shutdown to try to minimise further damage to airframe and engine from bits coming loose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81HHZF5wJng&sns=em
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 07-20-2013 at 04:31.

Well, thats about a once in a lifetime souvenir!

That's what I thought when watching the landing: he shurley lost parts of his propeller blades...

Last part of the video confirmet it.

Could have been a lot worse, fortunately the pilot got away with it.

Couldn't have had a worse filmer. At least he got the safe taxi after the mishap. Luckily everything went better than expected. I bet that pilot sure clinched up!

The video did at least give a good appreciation of the high landing speed of a Spitfire. Apparently failure to execute a three-point landing (main gear and tail wheel) was quite common with Spits.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z225_zps0a24d8a0.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	99859

And that illustrates why the Seafire was not exactly brilliant -- the Spitfire was hard-enough to land on the ground; a CV landing... well, a field-modification was developed where the last 6" of the prop was sawed off, and the tip resculpted; There Is A Reason For This.

Thumbs up

Actually I was expecting much worse damage from the intro.

What is the saying, "Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing." ?

What suprised me most was that they were still using a wooden prop.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    What suprised me most was that they were still using a wooden prop.
    Rob.
    Sometimes trying to change the prop type introduces a series of other problems -- if an engine was designed for a particular prop type, putting in a different one may cause vibration or other problems.

Heck, some of the Unlimited-class air racers at Reno still use fabric-covered control surfaces; in one case, it was found the fabric helped dampen vibration at high speeds, where the "upgraded" all-metal replacements would wrinkle, and almost come off.

He would have been in worse shape with a metal prop. The wood prop did exactly what is supposed to do, take the damage not the engine. I am amazed he did not shut the engine off as soon as he recovered and slowed down. The MAM`s Yak-3 evidently did that on conjunction with a landing gear problem. The wing had to be rebuilt and the prop and engine swapped out with the museums MIG-3.

Rich

Thanks for the info Chris.
    I will file that away for future reference. I still have much to learn about the Dark side of the Force.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Thanks for the info Chris.
    I have an Unfair Advantage: I once knew the dope-and-fabrics guy for #77 _Rare Bear_. :)

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    I have an Unfair Advantage: I once knew the dope-and-fabrics guy for #77 _Rare Bear_.
    Ohhh, Bearcat. Nice racer.
    Karl

Similar Missions

1. Land-Lease question
    By Kermit in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-21-2013, 15:44
  2. Over No-Mans Land, April 1918
    By Archidamus in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-11-2013, 13:53
  3. New planes have landed! And new land for planes to land ON...
    By MoonSylver in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-02-2013, 19:06
  4. Land Units
    By Scott in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-16-2010, 21:23